ADVERTISEMENT

Keto and fasting

Lots to comment on. Been keto since January 1. Down about 35 pounds and sitting now at about 16% body fat at around 6’1” and 170. First few months I had no problem powering thru workouts. Losing 15% of my body weight I lost some strength but was stronger on a percentage basis. Around month 4 I was dragging in workouts. Have played around with cyclical keto since and how long between carb up sessions. Still have a ways to go but so far I last around 4-5 days with good lifts after a carb up.

I’ve done some IF as well. I’ve had better results cycling this as well versus just doing the same 8 on 16 off every day.

Also despite the lifting I need to limit my protein or it throws me off.

I watch a lot of Thomas delauer videos and follow a lot of what he says.

Reactions: jasonrann
Breaking fast this morning, over 100 hours in and feel pretty darn good but did get some hunger urges every evening. 8 pounds down but at least 3 of that is water (even though I was drinking plenty) as your body really releases a lot of water and toxins on these sort of fasts.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
Breaking fast this morning, over 100 hours in and feel pretty darn good but did get some hunger urges every evening. 8 pounds down but at least 3 of that is water (even though I was drinking plenty) as your body really releases a lot of water and toxins on these sort of fasts.
I’ve never done a prolonged fast, maybe I should try it. I’m coming up on 16 hours fasted, just finished my workout. Will probably break fast in 2-3 hours.

I’ve never done a prolonged fast, maybe I should try it. I’m coming up on 16 hours fasted, just finished my workout. Will probably break fast in 2-3 hours.

Day 2-3 can be difficult and if you are not fat adapted (burning ketos for fuel instead of sugars/glucose) it will be ultra difficult. I thought about going longer but I can never make myself do it as I like to have a drink on the weekends and my weekends are hectic...I also like to have seeds at my kids ball games.

I can take you way down the rabbit hole here. But I’m going to try to keep it simple. This video is a good start on fasted workouts.

For longevity and health, there are countless studies that show the best way to increase longevity is to decrease calories. But, in my opinion, there is a trade off. I’m already lean so I don’t want to lose more weight. So I need to consume a certain amount of calories. So I eat 2 calorically and nutritionally dense meals each day, preferably after my workout but not always. I try to eat all my food within a 6-8 hour window. If I was trying to lose weight, I’d condense the window further to say a 4 hour window. Many people are now doing one meal a day (“OMAD”) or the Warrior Diet. It’s the same concept.

We think of our bodies and calories in a 24 hour cycle; I.e., I had 2000 calories today. But the body varies between catabolic and anabolic states throughout the day. So, when you’re fasted, your body can break down body fat for fuel and then when you feast, you replenish.

Here’s another good video on OMAD. I don’t particularly follow this plan because I find it hard to get sufficient calories and nutrients in just one meal but the video is worth a watch.

I’ll stop here because I don’t want to overwhelm anyone. But, suffice it to say, I’m not a fan of eating all day long.

Disclaimer: I’m not a doctor, nutritionist, trainer or the like. I’m just some random guy on the internet who reads a lot of this stuff and it’s a bit of a hobby for me. Do your own research.
Great contribution to this thread. I was only eating one meal per day when I was single and I got shredded. Just made sure I got 180 grams of protein in and I was golden. Started going back to it a couple weeks ago after gaining a few relationship pounds. It works like a charm.

Great contribution to this thread. I was only eating one meal per day when I was single and I got shredded. Just made sure I got 180 grams of protein in and I was golden. Started going back to it a couple weeks ago after gaining a few relationship pounds. It works like a charm.
There are a lot of anecdotal stories of people doing OMAD / Warrior Diet and getting ripped and significantly improving their health. I like the concept but I still do 2 meals. That video I posted on OMAD was done by a dude who has lots of good videos on all kinds of subjects.

Just finished up on another 100+ hour fast, this is my 4th and each one seems to get a bit easier although I am happy to be eating a bit this morning. I do have a little cream in my coffee when I do these but am under 100 cals per day all coming from that heavy cream (don't use half and half or milk as they contain some carbs).

Just went over 50 lbs of weight loss since Jan 10th, more to go and understand it will slow down in the summer months (as my drink will increase) but people who say keto and fasting are unsustainable just haven't tried it long enough IMO. It can be hard at first but honestly the foods are great, highly dense in nutrients (when you eat the right ones) and frankly foods/real foods start have more intense flavor the further you get away from processed and carby/sugary foods. Yes I still eat a lot of veggies but I focus on the right ones that won't drive up insulin production in my body...eventually, once I get to my goal weights and have maintained that for a bit I will be able to add in some added veggies in moderation but I am in no rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: ihhawk
I’m down 20lbs and an overall pretty happy at 234lbs. I eat very simple and clean

Yep, let the natural flavor of the foods come out and also add spices to change things up. I have a buddy that started doing keto the same time I did, he is now under 150 pounds (think he lost 15 lbs or so) so a smaller guy to start but he will eat a lot of dressed up keto dishes and snacks with what I would consider to be not fresh/real foods (think keto bars and fat bombs).

He always comments on how regimented I am with this but he also realizes we are starting from two seperate points. I loved me some carby foods (not sweets) and honestly I don't want to make fake food that could put me back into that craving carbs mode. I love the stuff I eat now, my protiens are almost the same, my veggies are up, and the amount of healthy fats I use has increased substantially (olive oil, avacados, avacado oil, grass fed butter, eggs, some MCT oil/or butter in my coffee w my cream sometimes if I know I won't be eating until the evening). Thing is I always feel way more statisfied when finishing a meal without feeling like I have stuffed myself, no bloating or GI issues like I had when eating the standard american diet, inflamation in joints down, Blood Pressure way down/normalized, and energy levels way way up...I have lost weight before in bunches only to gain it all back but I did it via very intense exercise to the point where i just ground my body and down and was in a lot of pain in my knees and shoulders, at 41 I can't do that anymore as I want to be able to still walk around in my golden years.

Great work @ihhawk

The best part for me is the focus at work. Just dialed in a lot more.

I’m playing a little with carb cycling now.

I eat a crap ton of cauliflower with blue cheese dip.

Reactions: unIowa
Last October I had high blood pressure and started an intermittent fasting diet. I’ve dropped 25lbs since then and my blood pressure is back to an acceptable level. Pretty happy about it. Currently at 220 as of today and it’s the lowest I’ve weighed since high school. Although back then I had much more muscle than I do now.

Anyways, I’m bumping this thread solely to brag because I’m extremely happy with myself right now.

Last October I had high blood pressure and started an intermittent fasting diet. I’ve dropped 25lbs since then and my blood pressure is back to an acceptable level. Pretty happy about it. Currently at 220 as of today and it’s the lowest I’ve weighed since high school. Although back then I had much more muscle than I do now.

Anyways, I’m bumping this thread solely to brag because I’m extremely happy with myself right now.
Very nice.

I'm stuck around 215. I need to get in the gym. Need to quit being a pussy.

My wife (no pics) has been suggesting we do the keto diet together. I have been looking around at different things. I keep seeing the "egg fast" as the best way to get started. Would any of you agree?

My wife is doing lazy keto, down 22# in 5-6 weeks. Not super strict, allows for some carbs, but she's rocking it so far!

I am hitting rock bottom with weight for me so I started a fast this morning. Just feel fat and unhealthy, and my clothes are getting snug. Going to do keto after the fast, and cut out alcohol except on the weekends. This thread provides some good inspiration.

I am hitting rock bottom with weight for me so I started a fast this morning. Just feel fat and unhealthy, and my clothes are getting snug. Going to do keto after the fast, and cut out alcohol except on the weekends. This thread provides some good inspiration.

You and me both, brother. I had lost 15 lbs. through April and May and then Memorial Day hit. I gained it all back and feel fat as shit. Luckily, I won’t be needing to take my shirt off in public any time soon.

You and me both, brother. I had lost 15 lbs. through April and May and then Memorial Day hit. I gained it all back and feel fat as shit. Luckily, I won’t be needing to take my shirt off in public any time soon.
Wasn't sure whether to issue this a "like" or not... For me the weather getting better to increase use of the smoker and associated partaking of drinks, and then from Memorial Day through the 4th has been particularly glutinous. Feeling fat as shit is a good way to put it. Feels good to get back on track.

Wasn't sure whether to issue this a "like" or not... For me the weather getting better to increase use of the smoker and associated partaking of drinks, and then from Memorial Day through the 4th has been particularly glutinous. Feeling fat as shit is a good way to put it. Feels good to get back on track.

Haha, I totally understand. I was back in NW Iowa Memorial Day weekend and the following weekend, tons of drinking and eating all the foods I don’t get to eat that often. That carried over to pretty much throwing my diet and exercise away when I got back and drinking during the week again. I haven’t been on a scale, but I can just tell by how my clothes are fitting and lack of energy.

I would go keto first for a few weeks then start w some 24 hour fast and working your way up, it will make it a lot lot easier so you will be able to and want to keep going.

I’ve been on vacation for about 3 weeks and while my diet has stayed really good I have been boozing (low carb sugar boozing) a lot and know this has caused me to be kicked out of ketosis (liver has to process that booze before it can make ketones to be used for energy) and guessing I put 5 or so pounds of the 50ish I have lost.

Not really concerned as I am back to work this week and while I am traveling through this weekend the booze consumption will lower and by the end of next week I’ll be back on regular routine (that added weight will come off in the next few weeks and then I’ll start losing again).

I would go keto first for a few weeks then start w some 24 hour fast and working your way up, it will make it a lot lot easier so you will be able to and want to keep going.

I’ve been on vacation for about 3 weeks and while my diet has stayed really good I have been boozing (low carb sugar boozing) a lot and know this has caused me to be kicked out of ketosis (liver has to process that booze before it can make ketones to be used for energy) and guessing I put 5 or so pounds of the 50ish I have lost.

Not really concerned as I am back to work this week and while I am traveling through this weekend the booze consumption will lower and by the end of next week I’ll be back on regular routine (that added weight will come off in the next few weeks and then I’ll start losing again).
I'm about 20 hours into the fast but who's counting. Oh, I am because I'm f*cking hangry. I think I will end the fast and start the keto when I get home tonight.

Reactions: 3boysmom and unIowa
I was below 180 this morning for the first time since 2008. 54 pounds down after I went low carb in February.
That is quite impressive. While I haven't stepped on a scale in a while based upon history I know I'm in that mid/upper 230s range. I'm a hair under 6 feet and like all HROTers I have a lot of muscle mass. I used to be able to shed weight very quickly when disciplined but I'm 45 now. I feel dedicated this time to make a lifestyle change because I'm not getting any younger and I have felt like shit the last couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how weight loss shakes out this go around....

That is quite impressive. While I haven't stepped on a scale in a while based upon history I know I'm in that mid/upper 230s range. I'm a hair under 6 feet and like all HROTers I have a lot of muscle mass. I used to be able to shed weight very quickly when disciplined but I'm 45 now. I feel dedicated this time to make a lifestyle change because I'm not getting any younger and I have felt like shit the last couple of weeks. It will be interesting to see how weight loss shakes out this go around....

I am just under 5’10, 41 years and had a lot of fat weighing in at 233. Wanting to be around for my kid a lifestyle change was needed. Getting rid of carbs, beer and mixing in some cardio and the pounds came off quick. I will be hitting weights in August as I will have time to go to the gym. Goal weight is 160-165.

I am just under 5’10, 41 years and had a lot of fat weighing in at 233. Wanting to be around for my kid a lifestyle change was needed. Getting rid of carbs, beer and mixing in some cardio and the pounds came off quick. I will be hitting weights in August as I will have time to go to the gym. Goal weight is 160-165.
When I was in Air Force many moons ago I got down to about 175. Still had some puff in the love handles but my face looked gaunt. Shooting for my fighting weight of 190.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye

Fifth day of keto. Didn’t weigh when I started but I know from how I felt and my clothes fit I was around 235. 226 this morning. I know a lot/all is water weight but it is encouraging to start with some momentum.

I'm down to 178..6 percent bodyfat. So I'm going to try and add 400 calories a day. The other benefits are clear though....my skin....hair...energy levels. Even though I've dropped 20 pounds in six months, I've actually increased my deadlift and squat by fifty and 75 pounds. Maybe I'll go off the intermittent fasting for a few weeks, but it's a great tool to have in your fitness and lifestyle routine.

I’m about 5’9”, 155 lbs. About 10% BF.

I follow a keto-ish diet. I eat about 30-40g of carbs post-workout and then about 50g rest of day. I was IF for about 19/20 hours per day but I’ve dropped it back down to 16/8 most days as I was dropping more weight. I try to spike my mtor/insulin with protein three times per day in that window.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Eat non-processed foods as much as possible. Eat what you like. Veggies, whole grains, fruits, nuts, lean meat, treats. Monitor what you eat and get on the scale every day. Calories in < calories out. Lose weight. It's not magic. and it doesn't require any special diet. Down >50 lbs in about four months starting last August and have maintained it.

Keto is the new fad but I seriously - seriously - doubt anyone here is in actual ketosis.

Eat non-processed foods as much as possible. Eat what you like. Veggies, whole grains, fruits, nuts, lean meat, treats. Monitor what you eat and get on the scale every day. Calories in < calories out. Lose weight. It's not magic. and it doesn't require any special diet. Down >50 lbs in about four months starting last August and have maintained it.

Keto is the new fad but I seriously - seriously - doubt anyone here is in actual ketosis.
I get into ketosis when I do a 36 hour fast....but it's not my goal

I don’t aim for ketones but unless the blood test is F.O.S., I hit ketosis quite regularly. Blood glucose is typically mid 80s-90s, ketones are around .8, plus or minus for both.

Anybody who really wants to be is. Eat a max of 20 carbs a day and make sure over half of them are dietary fiber and ingest 20 - 30g or more of healthy fat (or unhealthy but don't be that idiot) and you'll be in ketosis in 72-96 hours. Keep your electrolytes up and hydrate aggressively and you'll experience either no or minimal "keto flu" when you start.

I don’t aim for ketones but unless the blood test is F.O.S., I hit ketosis quite regularly. Blood glucose is typically mid 80s-90s, ketones are around .8, plus or minus for both.
Sorry...I had more but dumped it since I don't want to claim any kind of expert knowledge. Ketosis requires medical supervision to be done correctly - it's real use is as a therapeutic for epilepsy. I suspect most aren't monitoring their blood glucose or ketone levels, they just drop carbs and eat lots of fats. Even in monitored patients, prolonged use of the keto diet under medical supervision has often resulted in bone demineralization due to the blood becoming more acidic.

The protein intake is critical in keto and also highly specific to the individual. Everyone on a therapeutic keto diet has a plan specifically designed for them - there is no standard diet. Most regular folks on the keto diet tout their weight loss but much of that isn't due to ketosis - they've just reduced their calorie intake. That generally happens any time you monitor what you eat.

As others have pointed out...the route to long term success is eating a healthy diet, exercising, watching the calories. With a few exceptions (processed crap) I still eat everything I always ate...I just changed the mix and eat less. Hit the gym 3-4 times a week. Walk. My doc is happy so I'm happy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT