ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Warren meets with Players regarding Revenue Sharing & improved Medical Care

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The players will be looking for:

* A to-be-determined percentage of media rights revenue.

* Medical care for players after their college careers have come to an end. Funds from the B1G would purchase medical insurance policies for former players that would cover the treatment of injuries from their college football careers.

If the B1G does not make significant progress on doing more for players, the players' next step could be to register as a 501(c)(5) labor organization and potentially begin the process of becoming a union.

Link to Story:

• Love
Reactions: Ree4 and bumpstock
I could see a modest share for FB players after the next media mega deal.

Example - just based the media rights %:

Say the next deal starts at $85M payout per school and escalates by ~$3M per year over 10-15 yrs.

Let's not forget that the B1G currently includes the league office as a "equal share", so it would have the same $85M/yr and ensuing escalation as the schools.

The players share would come from the league office cut and would probably be somewhere in the 25-30% range.

85M x .25 = 21.25M ➗ 16 (schools) = 1,328,125 ➗ 85 scholarship players = $15,625 per player, per yr.

(escalating each year after that as the school payouts increase)

Of course that's the "pre-tax" amount, the player would actually see only ~65% of that.

I’d rather the schools just pay the football and basketball players directly from these massive TV deals then asking everyone to chip in to the various collective buckets.

I’m not a lawyer but can they just pay those sports or would that violate Title IX? To me, anything beyond those two sports shouldn’t be getting more money if they aren’t generating a net profit.

I could see a modest share for FB players after the next media mega deal.

Example - just based the media rights %:

Say the next deal starts at $85M payout per school and escalates by ~$3M per year over 10-15 yrs.

Let's not forget that the B1G currently includes the league office as a "equal share", so it would have the same $85M/yr and ensuing escalation as the schools.

The players share would come from the league office cut and would probably be somewhere in the 25-30% range.

85M x .25 = 21.25M ➗ 16 (schools) = 1,328,125 ➗ 85 scholarship players = $15,625 per player, per yr.

(escalating each year after that as the school payouts increase)

Of course that's the "pre-tax" amount, the player would actually see only ~65% of that.

* Medical care for players after their college careers have come to an end. Funds from the B1G would purchase medical insurance policies for former players that would cover the treatment of injuries from their college football careers.

If the B1G does not make significant progress on doing more for players, the players' next step could be to register as a 501(c)(5) labor organization and potentially begin the process of becoming a union.

Link to Story:

The camel's nose is "officially" inside the B1G tent ~ GO PLAYERS!

I’d rather the schools just pay the football and basketball players directly from these massive TV deals then asking everyone to chip in to the various collective buckets.

I’m not a lawyer but can they just pay those sports or would that violate Title IX? To me, anything beyond those two sports shouldn’t be getting more money if they aren’t generating a net profit.
I think you already know the answer to that question. As of now the ladies are free to negotiate NIL for themselves, (see C Clark). Now it they wanted to pay say just the mens football and basketball teams a %, then you'll certainly see lawsuits for titleIX formed.
It would be interesting to see with Clark and her sidekick MC returning and the continued influx in talent if they can draw consistently like the men. Down the stretch they were packing Carver, but I know thats not an every week thing. Still I'd bet our women draw better then most D1 womens teams.
I know there are some wrestling fans on here. The support for the grapplers is always solid as well. How to they compare on an average night draw to say mens Bball? Obviously they have fewer matches so that hurts overall revenue.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Becoming employees now in my book if this happens. Which means you can be fired at any time. i dont think this is going to end well!
"...fired at any time." ~ I would think that the players' union would insist you show "just cause" when the case goes to court, otherwise, you'd owe the player some $$$.

"...fired at any time." ~ I would think that the players' union would insist you show "just cause" when the case goes to court, otherwise, you'd owe the player some $$$.
Maybe, BUT that could be pretty sticky for the players as well. So your a WR who drops the ball, a RB who fumbles, or an OL who gives up sacks. "just cause". And who in the hell is going to decide just what is "just cause". I think the players aren't going to like where some of this will head at some point, but the horse is out of the barn now. This may not be a big problem at Iowa, but I could see an annual, "purging" at some SEC schools...

Maybe, BUT that could be pretty sticky for the players as well. So your a WR who drops the ball, a RB who fumbles, or an OL who gives up sacks. "just cause". And who in the hell is going to decide just what is "just cause". I think the players aren't going to like where some of this will head at some point, but the horse is out of the barn now. This may not be a big problem at Iowa, but I could see an annual, "purging" at some SEC schools...
No "Maybe..."

All the questions you pose are answered in the respective Contracts between:
(a) the NFL Team & the NFL Player; and
(b) the NFL Teams & the NFL Players' Association.

Let's assume, shall we, that

(a) the new College Football Player's contract; and
(b) the new College Football Players' Association contract will contain the same language.

I think you already know the answer to that question. As of now the ladies are free to negotiate NIL for themselves, (see C Clark). Now it they wanted to pay say just the mens football and basketball teams a %, then you'll certainly see lawsuits for titleIX formed.
It would be interesting to see with Clark and her sidekick MC returning and the continued influx in talent if they can draw consistently like the men. Down the stretch they were packing Carver, but I know thats not an every week thing. Still I'd bet our women draw better then most D1 womens teams.
I know there are some wrestling fans on here. The support for the grapplers is always solid as well. How to they compare on an average night draw to say mens Bball? Obviously they have fewer matches so that hurts overall revenue.
Clark and team definitely have great interest. That said, the tickets to women's games are much cheaper than the men's games. Total ticket revenue for men's games is much higher.

I would agree that if the payout is only going to FB players directly from the school or conference, Title IX lawsuits would likely follow. Not sure if they would win, I suppose an argument could be made that the money in the media deal is driven pretty much by football. Brave new world.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Clark and team definitely have great interest. That said, the tickets to women's games are much cheaper than the men's games. Total ticket revenue for men's games is much higher.

I would agree that if the payout is only going to FB players directly from the school or conference, Title IX lawsuits would likely follow. Not sure if they would win, I suppose an argument could be made that the money in the media deal is driven pretty much by football. Brave new world.
The women do draw pretty well but as you said cheaper ticket prices. I’ve taken my family to several women’s games since they’re so cheap. I’m sure MBB also has higher TV revenue. That said, even MBB isn’t really what’s drawing the huge TV deals, its mostly football.

I tend to think that universities may do what the Notre Dame’s AD mentioned and spin off football and have the football team pay a licensing fee to the university. That may be the way around Title IX to pay fball players. There could still be lawsuits but I would think most non revenue athletes understand that they aren’t making the athletic department money.

The women do draw pretty well but as you said cheaper ticket prices. I’ve taken my family to several women’s games since they’re so cheap. I’m sure MBB also has higher TV revenue. That said, even MBB isn’t really what’s drawing the huge TV deals, its mostly football.

I tend to think that universities may do what the Notre Dame’s AD mentioned and spin off football and have the football team pay a licensing fee to the university. That may be the way around Title IX to pay fball players. There could still be lawsuits but I would think most non revenue athletes understand that they aren’t making the athletic department money.
I understand full well what program drives the revenue. Yes, the athletes understand but thats not going to stop the lawyers from getting involved.......

Reactions: nbanflfactory

Link to Story:

How long til they strike?
Lol

I did a quick google search on Title IX. Any lawyers out there please chime in.

What I found: Title IX does not require equal expenditure of funds on male and female athletes. The only dollar for dollar expenditure requirement is in the athletic financial assistance area, where schools are required to spend dollars proportional to participation rates.

So, it appears that football players & men's basketball players could be paid above and beyond "financial assistance" via revenue sharing, medical insurance coverage after the player leaves the program, and other benefits they obtain in negotiations.

I did a quick google search on Title IX. Any lawyers out there please chime in.

What I found: Title IX does not require equal expenditure of funds on male and female athletes. The only dollar for dollar expenditure requirement is in the athletic financial assistance area, where schools are required to spend dollars proportional to participation rates.

So, it appears that football players & men's basketball players could be paid above and beyond "financial assistance" via revenue sharing, medical insurance coverage after the player leaves the program, and other benefits they obtain in negotiations.
I guess it depends on what “athletic financial assistance” means.

I know others in this thread have said “bye bye womens sports and most mens sports” and I’m sure that is taken negatively. While, I’m not cheering for such a thing, it is a weird set up that someone in a sport that loses the university money and people don’t really watch gets a free scholarship to the school, along with a bunch of other perks. Why should someone thats good a rowing, running, etc. get a scholarship while someone that’s good at any other non-class endeavor doesn’t? If we were starting from scratch, wouldn’t these just be intramural sports? Off topic a bit, but just my thoughts.

I guess it depends on what “athletic financial assistance” means.

I know others in this thread have said “bye bye womens sports and most mens sports” and I’m sure that is taken negatively. While, I’m not cheering for such a thing, it is a weird set up that someone in a sport that loses the university money and people don’t really watch gets a free scholarship to the school, along with a bunch of other perks. Why should someone thats good a rowing, running, etc. get a scholarship while someone that’s good at any other non-class endeavor doesn’t? If we were starting from scratch, wouldn’t these just be intramural sports? Off topic a bit, but just my thoughts.
College athletics haven’t always been about making money for the University. So you want to make everything besides bball and Fball club sports? I’d actually argue the majority of the other sports are more true student athletes than Fball and bball.

Title IX wouldn't apply any more than it does where I work. They'd be employees....title IX doesn't exist for employees.

Most women's sports and and non revenue sports will go away since the money to fund them would be going to the new employees.

Not sure I understand. Money to fund them would e going to the new employees. Don’t know what you mean by that? Are you talking NIL money? I don’t understand why non revenue has to away. Educate me.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Title IX wouldn't apply any more than it does where I work. They'd be employees....title IX doesn't exist for employees.

Most women's sports and and non revenue sports will go away since the money to fund them would be going to the new employees.
No way.

Iowa Central C.C. currently has for Women's Athletics:

Basketball, Bowling, Cheer Squad, Cross Country, Dance Team, Esports, Golf, Marching Band, Rodeo, Soccer, Softball, Sports Shooting, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field, Volleyball, and Wrestling.

Do you think that the gate receipts & T.V. rights from the ICCC home football games keep these sports alive? No. Their funding comes from the college, and Iowa's women's sports will be funded by the university.

Reactions: littlez
No way.

Basketball, Bowling, Cheer Squad, Cross Country, Dance Team, Esports, Golf, Marching Band, Rodeo, Soccer, Softball, Sports Shooting, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field, Volleyball, and Wrestling.

Do you think that the gate receipts & T.V. rights from the ICCC home football games keep these sports alive? No. Their funding comes from the college, and Iowa's women's sports will be funded by the university.
You’re probably right that the University would subsidize it and wouldn’t want to take the PR hit of getting rid of non-revenue sports.

I’m sure a school like ICCC relies more on sports to recruit students (i.e. come to school here so you can continue to play sports) than a school like the UofI. It is interesting that ICCC students / other similar schools are okay paying more to go to school for them to sustain athletics.

Reactions: onlyTheObvious

I don't see womens sports going anywhere. I actually think they'll be even better funded, both in opportunities and for the players. I think they'll get a smaller % then say football players but they'll get something. This is a different world we live in today, and the climate as such is drastically different. Their not going to be pushing women out and not sharing even some small piece with all this new revenue coming in. Women will turn out in record numbers to vote this year after SCOTUS recent upheaval, and no progressive school like Iowa is going to turn the clock back on womens issues least of all titleIX...

I don't see womens sports going anywhere. I actually think they'll be even better funded, both in opportunities and for the players. I think they'll get a smaller % then say football players but they'll get something. This is a different world we live in today, and the climate as such is drastically different. Their not going to be pushing women out and not sharing even some small piece with all this new revenue coming in. Women will turn out in record numbers to vote this year after SCOTUS recent upheaval, and no progressive school like Iowa is going to turn the clock back on womens issues least of all titleIX...
Don’t count on all that

No way.

Are they flying teams to New York and LA? How much are the coaches paid at those schools? D1 level competition is a completely different animal.

The camel's nose is "officially" inside the B1G tent ~ GO PLAYERS!
So, what are the players guaranteeing?

In a labor relationship, Management agrees to provide money and other benefits and labor agrees to provide a specific type of labor and to follow the rules and meet production standards. Will the players be required to achieve a certain level of wins? Will they be required to maintain a 3.25 gpa and pay for their own tutors? Will they have their pay reduced if they are late for practice or don't show up? Will they lose their job if they go 5 and 7 along with their scholarships? Will they be fined if they break team rules or present themselves in a way that differs from the team's image?

Way too many people on here want the players to get paid without making any guarantees on their side. A player's union and profit sharing will accelerate the demise of college sports. it's already getting to a point where Money is the primary focus on where one goes to school. Also, someone mentioned this may go against Title 9.
I can't wait for that female field hockey player or for that matter that IOWA WRESTLER to file suit against the University and the BIG.

Reactions: DewHawk
So, what are the players guaranteeing?

In a labor relationship, Management agrees to provide money and other benefits and labor agrees to provide a specific type of labor and to follow the rules and meet production standards. Will the players be required to achieve a certain level of wins? Will they be required to maintain a 3.25 gpa and pay for their own tutors? Will they have their pay reduced if they are late for practice or don't show up? Will they lose their job if they go 5 and 7 along with their scholarships? Will they be fined if they break team rules or present themselves in a way that differs from the team's image?

Way too many people on here want the players to get paid without making any guarantees on their side. A player's union and profit sharing will accelerate the demise of college sports. it's already getting to a point where Money is the primary focus on where one goes to school. Also, someone mentioned this may go against Title 9.
I can't wait for that female field hockey player or for that matter that IOWA WRESTLER to file suit against the University and the BIG.
Relax...it's all in the contract. See Post No. 15.

Are they flying teams to New York and LA? How much are the coaches paid at those schools? D1 level competition is a completely different animal.
Exactly correct...that will be the state of Iowa's other athletics (buses, Motel 6, and trips to UNI & Drake). Think D-2.

ADVERTISEMENT