ADVERTISEMENT

Kevin Warren's political priorites ride shotgun

chodehawk

HR MVP
Oct 9, 2016
Anyone with half a brain can figure out what his primary objective is. Inexcusable for this to happen - guy should be shitcanned immediately

“I’m going to personally empower student-athletes to express their right to free speech and peaceful protest,” - Warren

Warren said the conference’s new coalition fits “hand in hand” with the voter registration drive that seeks to make sure every Big Ten athlete is registered to vote for the Nov. 3 presidential election.

"Warren is in just his fifth month in charge of the 14-member league, and he’s made it clear with his early actions that social change will be among the league’s priorities." - Pete Thamel, Yahoo Sports

“I believe in any year, but especially this year and especially where we are as a society, that voting is the top way to influence issues that are going on from a social justice or social injustice standpoint,” he said. “We want to do everything we can to encourage others to vote, to vote ourselves and to make sure that we don’t allow voter suppression to occur.” - Warren

"The hate that we have in our communities and the racism that’s occurred, it can’t go on any longer.” - Warren

Additional comments:

It's painfully obvious that you're right - this guy is politics first, football second. If he's not fired, this league is going to turn into NBA 2.0

And yes, it would be glorious if some of these players and potential draftees realized that their health has NOTHING to do with the cancellation of the season, and voted opposite of what Mr. Warren wants them to as a big middle finger to him (and the university presidents in cahoots w him).

It's painfully obvious that you're right - this guy is politics first, football second. If he's not fired, this league is going to turn into NBA 2.0

And yes, it would be glorious if some of these players and potential draftees realized that their health has NOTHING to do with the cancellation of the season, and voted opposite of what Mr. Warren wants them to as a big middle finger to him (and the university presidents in cahoots w him).

It’s only political if you view empowering young people, especially young minorities, to vote is a bad thing.

A bunch of hawks went to a Trump rally. They can vote, too.

Absolutely unbelievable. You're right, he needs canned immediately. He couldn’t care less about football, he's only worried about the election and pushing the leftest agenda.
This has gotten over the top political. There was a time that I could never imagine myself voting for Trump despite leaning right. But the way the left has acted the past several months, I just don't think I can vote Democrat.

Anyone with half a brain can figure out what his primary objective is. Inexcusable for this to happen - guy should be shitcanned immediately

“I’m going to personally empower student-athletes to express their right to free speech and peaceful protest,” - Warren

Warren said the conference’s new coalition fits “hand in hand” with the voter registration drive that seeks to make sure every Big Ten athlete is registered to vote for the Nov. 3 presidential election.

"Warren is in just his fifth month in charge of the 14-member league, and he’s made it clear with his early actions that social change will be among the league’s priorities." - Pete Thamel, Yahoo Sports

“I believe in any year, but especially this year and especially where we are as a society, that voting is the top way to influence issues that are going on from a social justice or social injustice standpoint,” he said. “We want to do everything we can to encourage others to vote, to vote ourselves and to make sure that we don’t allow voter suppression to occur.” - Warren

"The hate that we have in our communities and the racism that’s occurred, it can’t go on any longer.” - Warren

Additional comments:

Again, he works for the presidents.

This has gotten over the top political. There was a time that I could never imagine myself voting for Trump despite leaning right. But the way the left has acted the past several months, I just don't think I can vote Democrat.
Last few months? Try 3.5 years as liberals have done everything they can do to destroy God and country IMO!!

It’s only political if you view empowering young people, especially young minorities, to vote is a bad thing.

A bunch of hawks went to a Trump rally. They can vote, too.

I have no problem with encouraging college students to vote and get involved. Bully on him for doing so. We all have a choice as to whether or not to participate in our right to vote as citizens.

My worry/concern is that this mission to get out of the vote and political activities is taking precedence over the reason he's getting paid, which is leading the conference. The Big 10's mission is not to register voters. It's apparently good to be transparent and seek student input on voting/political activity, but not with the actual things the conference is responsible for -- i.e. sports the conference teams participate in. In those instances, we want zero input or dialogue with players. It makes no sense.

I have no problem with encouraging college students to vote and get involved. Bully on him for doing so. We all have a choice as to whether or not to participate in our right to vote as citizens.

My worry/concern is that this mission to get out of the vote and political activities is taking precedence over the reason he's getting paid, which is leading the conference. The Big 10's mission is not to register voters. It's apparently good to be transparent and seek student input on voting/political activity, but not with the actual things the conference is responsible for -- i.e. sports the conference teams participate in. In those instances, we want zero input or dialogue with players. It makes no sense.

Fair enough. What input could the students provide which would make it safer to play football this Fall? I hope you know something that I've missed because the idea of no Hawkeye Football this year is killing me.

His interview with Sports Business Journal further proved his agenda. Majority of the conference wants transparency, yet he chooses to bring up social justice & cites three separate cases. You can't make this up.

Encouraging students to vote is just too much for you, huh?
Wow, do you need his dog whistles to be bull horns? "peaceful protests" we can all see how peaceful they've been, "preventing voter suppression" another marxist talking point meaning make sure we can continue with our voter fraud schemes...... Commissioner should NOT be a political position in any way.

Additional comments:

The nerve of the guy to encourage college students to vote. What a monster?

WTF are you talking about? Is encouraging people to vote now liberal to you?

Not in the least, but when it has absolutely zero to do with the monumental topic at hand; when hundreds of thousands of people want answers & citation for a life altering decision, the last thing that should be brought up are societal issues.

Are you telling me that he can't have more than one idea in his head at a time? Why is that?

Reactions: FlickShagwell
The nerve of the guy to encourage college students to vote. What a monster?

WTF are you talking about? Is encouraging people to vote now liberal to you?
Only when you tell them how to vote and what to believe which he does if read all of his statements.

Reactions: dean_oliver222
Only when you tell them how to vote and what to believe which he does if read all of his statements.
I find it disturbing that right wing extremists are trying to limit people from voting. We live in a democracy not a dictatorship. Our country should be led by those who represent the people and this includes everyone. If you don’t want everyone to vote, you really don’t believe in democracy.

1. Browser: "Youtube"
2. Search: "Portland Riots"
3. Filter: "Last week"

4. Nothing to see there

I checked and it appears that Portland still exists. My research found that life goes on as normal in 99.9% of Portland's population in spite of the actions of a handful of malcontents. Give me a better example of all of this destruction please.

Here in the US, all citizens age 18 and over have long been empowered to vote. Some may choose not to vote, but only based on their own choices, not on being disempowered.

There's nothing wrong with a general encouragement for all citizens to vote, but in terms of the role of an athletic conference and commissioner, it's waaaaaay down the list of priorities. What's next? The B1G encouraging student athletes to brush their teeth?

Last edited:
Fair enough. What input could the students provide which would make it safer to play football this Fall? I hope you know something that I've missed because the idea of no Hawkeye Football this year is killing me.

For starters, there's only one way to find out, which appears to be the one way Warren isn't willing to pursue.

More importantly, making it safer to play football isn't the only input the players could provide. All kinds of activities are dangerous. Driving a car, for example. But the B1G didn't ban student athletes from driving a car even though doing so is dangerous. Instead, they relied on the student ahtletes to make that decision themselves.

And like others, student athletes don't make such decisions by only factoring the risks they assume when driving a car. Instead, they also consider the rewards associated with driving a car. And the risks associated with not driving a car. And then make a decision based on all of that information. SO there is no doubt plenty of information the players could have provided.

I find it disturbing that right wing extremists are trying to limit people from voting. We live in a democracy not a dictatorship. Our country should be led by those who represent the people and this includes everyone. If you don’t want everyone to vote, you really don’t believe in democracy.
Nice try, who was trying to limit voting? We all want everyone to vote. Whenever someones tries to make sure ALL votes count and are not disqualified by illegal voting, they are accused of voter suppression. How does voter ID suppress voting? (We all need IDs for everything) How does clearing old out dated voter roles suppress voting? Trying to stop leftist games always results in name calling and lies by the left.

ADVERTISEMENT