ADVERTISEMENT

Key largo or key west?

luvmyhawks

HR Legend
Mar 22, 2005
15 year wedding anniversary coming up and the wife and I are finally ditching the kids for a 5 day weekend. We have pretty much decided it’s between these 2 places as we love diving and beach going, but not sure which one. We really want something we can pretty much walk out of the condo/resort and hit up bars and restaurants. Have heard largo is better for snorkeling/diving so was curious on some of your thoughts.

15 year wedding anniversary coming up and the wife and I are finally ditching the kids for a 5 day weekend. We have pretty much decided it’s between these 2 places as we love diving and beach going, but not sure which one. We really want something we can pretty much walk out of the condo/resort and hit up bars and restaurants. Have heard largo is better for snorkeling/diving so was curious on some of your thoughts.
Go for a traditional swingers KEY PARTY instead. And send pics.

Do you want more laid back or to hit up several bars in the meantime?

laid back, but certainly some good bar options. And I realize beaches aren’t great in the keys. Been on enough great beaches that we are looking for more snorkeling and diving options with good food and bar locations.

Reactions: runkpanole
If you want to be able to walk around and have plenty of shops, bars and restaurants then Key West is the place. You can get out on a boat and fish, snorkel or scuba too. That said, we enjoyed the peace and relaxing vibe at Playa Largo Resort and Spa. It has a little beach area and nice pool. But, you aren’t walking around here… rent a car and drive to area bars and restaurants.

Yeah, wasn’t real clear on that. Not beach going. Snorkeling, diving, bars, restaurants and shopping for the wife. All preferably within walking distance.
Given this, I’d say Key West. I’ll admit I’m biased, as I married a no pic Conch. The walking distance is the key thing.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
You guys rock. Thanks for the good info. Basically, want to Ali, key west. Rent a car, maybe key largo. Also getting that maybe 5 days is too much in key west.. what is this marathon you speak of? Guess i am not objectioned to getting a car or going somewhere else. We just planned 5 days because it isn’t the shortest trip from Denver to key west. It’s like 6-10 hours with a layover.

Both. 2 days in Key Large and 3 days in Key West....

You guys rock. Thanks for the good info. Basically, want to Ali, key west. Rent a car, maybe key largo. Also getting that maybe 5 days is too much in key west.. what is this marathon you speak of? Guess i am not objectioned to getting a car or going somewhere else. We just planned 5 days because it isn’t the shortest trip from Denver to key west. It’s like 6-10 hours with a layover.
If you can message me, send me your email and i'll send you my doc of KW recommendations.

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Both. 2 days in Key Large and 3 days in Key West....

Ok. I can dig this. Maybe fly into Miami and rent a car? Would be cheaper and faster to fly into Miami, but car rental would offset that, which is fine. Not sure how to message you.

Ok. I can dig this. Maybe fly into Miami and rent a car? Would be cheaper and faster to fly into Miami, but car rental would offset that, which is fine. Not sure how to message you.
It’s a beautiful drive once you get on the overseas highway.

Did a family trip to Key West just after New Year’s 2020. Crazy that it was the last time I was able to get away with my folks, as mom died last spring and dad passed about a week ago. We didn’t do a ton of the bar scene with our crew ranging in age from 8 to 70, but we all had a really great time.

Is the Hemingway house worth a visit? Going to be in Miami for 4 days a little later in the year. Worth that drive for half a day in Key West?

I'd take Key Largo over Key West. Personally, I'd take Islamorada over both. We have been staying at the Cheeca Lodge the last couple of trips. We like it a lot. It is pretty laid back on the premises. There are some good restaurants on the property and nearby. Charter fishing/diving/snorkeling trips are available close by (lots of these options in keys largo and west, as well).

You'll have a good trip wherever you end up.

Last edited:
With that much time why not do both. Start at MIA and rent a jeep or convertible. Hit a few spots for drinks and snacks on the drive down to key west, spend a few nights then work your way back to largo.

In early October we spent 3 nights in Key West which was plenty, then drove up to Key Largo. We stopped at Bahia Honda beach on the way for a few hours which was nice. Then did the final 3 nights in Key Largo. So, we got the fun, busy part done upfront and relaxed on the back end.

Marathon is halfway between Key Largo and Key West. You still get the Keys vibe, but it's more laid back than Key West.

Key West seems to fit your wants better. Specifically the walking distance to bars/restaurants and shopping. Plenty of good diving opportunities in and around key west.

Neither, and I’ve been to both. Grand Cayman if you want beach and diving/snorkeling with great places to stay on 7 mile beach. Dining options are spread out unless you stay at a dive lodge.

Splitting it up and spending a couple days in each is probably the way to go. Key Largo is probably a little better for the diving and Key West is definitely better for the walkability. The beauty of it is you can't go wrong in any of the keys. Islamorada is awesome as is Marathon. I could spend a week on each island. Love it down there.

Some really helpful info in here. Really appreciate it. After recalculating, I was off n the amount of time. It is only 4 full days and 5 evenings. Not 5 full days. Thanks to all of your advice, pretty sure we are going to fly into Miami, rent a car and do 2 nights n key west and 3 nights somewhere else. Kind of liking the middle keys idea. Islamorada or marathon/sombrero beach is pretty appealing.

If you've never done it, the drive alone is worth the trip. It's one that everyone should do once.
MY wife (no pic) would kill me if we ever made that drive again. And, honestly, it's sorta cool, but I'd never do it again.

If you've never done it, the drive alone is worth the trip. It's one that everyone should do once.

Good call. Coincidentally, 2 of the 3 comedians from the podcast whose logo is my avatar ended up performing at a comedy club that was opened up within the last 2 years. That show was announced last week, hadn't seen them perform before. Csb

ADVERTISEMENT