ADVERTISEMENT

Key rotational situation

eyesofhawk

HR MVP
Apr 17, 2011
that Fran must navigate successfully this season.

It sounds at this point as that JO is ahead of Riley and that neither are in the rotation. One will get minutes situationally vs teams with a lot of size.

That leaves Kris as the backup 5. If Kris and Filip are the only guys in the main rotation that can play 5, at least one of them always has to be on the floor. To me, the most efficient way to achieve this is to have Filip resting and set to check in for Kris at about the 14 and 6 minute marks of each half. This would give Kris about 32 minutes a game. And I'm sure Fran will steal him an extra minute of rest when he can to bring that average down slightly.

Will be interesting how long Fran goes with the big lineup. He knows they have to go small when Kris goes to the 5. So if he wants to get mileage out of the big lineup as well, starting big can make some sense.

I do worry about the big (Perk, Peyt, Pat, Kris, Filip) lineup's ability to contain the ball. This becomes especially huge as Kris and Filip must stay out of foul trouble. If either gets into foul trouble, that slides JO into the rotation. Does this lineup play mostly zone? I could actually see them getting some mileage out of a 1-3-1 with the length of the big lineup. When playing man in the big lineup they'll probably switch 2 through 4 actions. Also with the big lineup I'd like to see Kris guarding the 2. Pat guarding the 3. And Peyton guarding the 4. I think Kris has the best feet to guard the 2. And it will be hard for the opponent to cross-match while facing Iowa's transition. If a 2 does get stuck on Kris, he can abuse them inside and on the glass. And if their 4 is guarding Peyton, he can really pull him away from the basket.

The big lineup does get your best rebounders and shooters on the floor. Wouldn't necessarily call it the best offensive lineup though. We'll see. Smaller lineups, especially including Bowen, will be better at getting easier opportunities in transition, and getting downhill, and penetrating the teeth of the defense. Also, the quicker lineups should be better defensively, which will lead to easier scores.

Should be a fun season. A lot of versatility. Need to stay healthy and out of foul trouble. Full-court press must also be sharp to not put foul pressure on Kris and Filip

Reactions: iabcuda
that Fran must navigate successfully this season.

It sounds at this point as that JO is ahead of Riley and that neither are in the rotation. One will get minutes situationally vs teams with a lot of size.

That leaves Kris as the backup 5. If Kris and Filip are the only guys in the main rotation that can play 5, at least one of them always has to be on the floor. To me, the most efficient way to achieve this is to have Filip resting and set to check in for Kris at about the 14 and 6 minute marks of each half. This would give Kris about 32 minutes a game. And I'm sure Fran will steal him an extra minute of rest when he can to bring that average down slightly.

Will be interesting how long Fran goes with the big lineup. He knows they have to go small when Kris goes to the 5. So if he wants to get mileage out of the big lineup as well, starting big can make some sense.

I do worry about the big (Perk, Peyt, Pat, Kris, Filip) lineup's ability to contain the ball. This becomes especially huge as Kris and Filip must stay out of foul trouble. If either gets into foul trouble, that slides JO into the rotation. Does this lineup play mostly zone? I could actually see them getting some mileage out of a 1-3-1 with the length of the big lineup. When playing man in the big lineup they'll probably switch 2 through 4 actions. Also with the big lineup I'd like to see Kris guarding the 2. Pat guarding the 3. And Peyton guarding the 4. I think Kris has the best feet to guard the 2. And it will be hard for the opponent to cross-match while facing Iowa's transition. If a 2 does get stuck on Kris, he can abuse them inside and on the glass. And if their 4 is guarding Peyton, he can really pull him away from the basket.

The big lineup does get your best rebounders and shooters on the floor. Wouldn't necessarily call it the best offensive lineup though. We'll see. Smaller lineups, especially including Bowen, will be better at getting easier opportunities in transition, and getting downhill, and penetrating the teeth of the defense. Also, the quicker lineups should be better defensively, which will lead to easier scores.

Should be a fun season. A lot of versatility. Need to stay healthy and out of foul trouble. Full-court press must also be sharp to not put foul pressure on Kris and Filip
Lot can change throughout the year. Really all depends on how quickly Bowen acclimates in my opinion. If/when he is playing well, it gives a different element to the team.

I wouldn't worry too much about matchups if Iowa goes with the Sandfordt/PMac/Murray lineup at the 2-4 spots. Depending upon the opponent, yes Murray could guard a perimeter player and Sandfordt could guard a forward. You are correct, the ability to keep the ball in front of them might be a challenge with that lineup.

If Rebraca can give Iowa 20-25 minutes of solid play that would be huge for this team. Be a threat from 3, defend passably inside and rebound. Rest of it will get sorted out based on how guys play.

Start them both, play them both 30ish mpg. If the game is close, don't take them both out at the same time.

No reason they can't both be on the court together for 20 minutes or more per game.

Granted, this assumes no injuries or foul problems.

If we must slide Kris to the 5, I think we would simply slide Ulis or Bowen in at the 1; sliding Tony to the 2 and so on. If we do want our best players to get the most minutes, I like this option over just subbing in JO at the 5. I do think that JO will be serviceable for spot minutes if he can just limit turnovers. The 5 will be an interesting spot this season, that's for sure.

People really need stop thinking about basketball in terms of standard 1 to 5 positions
It’s relevant on the defensive side of the ball

If Sandfort is a true 6’9 (don’t know to what extent he grew this year), then there’s a chance that he could spend some time rotating onto backup bigs as well. He’s one of the better rebounders on the team, so this doesn’t seem like a bad option

People really need stop thinking about basketball in terms of standard 1 to 5 positions

It’s relevant on the defensive side of the ball

If Sandfort is a true 6’9 (don’t know to what extent he grew this year), then there’s a chance that he could spend some time rotating onto backup bigs as well. He’s one of the better rebounders on the team, so this doesn’t seem like a bad option

I agree with you, Uno, that the 1 to 5 positions are still relevant. And Payton has stated several times that he has been practicing at the 2, 3 and 4 positions, so the 1 to 5 positions are clearly relevant.

Payton is just under 6'8, the last I saw. In a June 16 interview, Payton said he had grown an inch since last season. He said he currently stood at 6 feet, 7.75 inches.

Imagine 6'8 Payton at the 2, 6'9 PMac at the 3 and 6'9 Kris at the 4. Lots of shooters, lots of length. Hopefully lots of defensive rebounding, too.

It all matters who you can guard. That's how your position is defined in the Nba
NBA yes, college not so much IMO. I think the advantages you gain on offense in the college game outweigh the disadvantages on defense especially during the regular season. Basketball is becoming more and more a positionless sport.

It's just too bad we don't have stronger on-the-ball defenders because it makes positionless basketball a lot easier

The team is certainly versatile to sub anyone for Rebraca.

What must be avoided though, is Rebraca needing a blow at the same time as Kris. This is why I would make sure Rebraca is getting a break around the 16 and 8 minute marks, so he can sub in for Kris at 14 and 6. This also insures that Filip if fully fresh to man the paint when he has to be on the court without Kris. It also gives a set minutes pattern for Kris to become comfortable with and be fresh in key minutes

ADVERTISEMENT