ADVERTISEMENT

New Story KF Big Ten Teleconference Notes

Apr 8, 2003
These are rough quotes and notes from Kirk Ferentz during his 8 minutes on the Big Ten Teleconference this morning with the national media.

---

Opening Statement

We were pleased to get the win on Saturday for sure. Overall, just really pleased with what our team has done in the September block. Team really worked hard and improved. Going to be important now as we move into Big Ten play and have to get ready for a big challenge traveling up to Wisconsin this week.

Q: In what ways do you think Wisconsin and Iowa's programs are similar over the years?

KF: I think we both play a similar style of football. Not exactly alike, but a lot of similar core values. Of course, Barry Alvarez spent a good portion of his career here and they've had great success there since Barry took over in 1990.

Q: What about this year's start shows that you guys can compete for a West title and what you have learned about the team?

KF: Pleased with the growth. Like most teams, lose good players every year, so a big part of it is how newcomers step in and how they handle playing for the first time. Other part is how the veteran players respond. They have to come back and play their best football. We've had those things take place. Also stayed relatively healthy. Other thing, going to need some stories to emerge and as we go along some guys to rise up.

Q: Curious if you can remember how big of a question mark the offensive line was before the season and where the units stands now because it appears they are ahead of scheudle.

KF: I've kind of joked before that I've never read so much about two players that never played before with our new offensive tackles, but we had two good tackles that graduated a year ago. Two good defensive tackles that graduated too, but that didn't seem to get as much attention. But we had three offensive tackle candidates this year, Boettger, Myers, and Croston, that have been in the program for a while and gave themselves a chance to compete. We're hardly there yet, but they've done a good job and have the potential to be good players. Same goes for our defensive tackles, Jaleel Johnson and Nathan Bazata, filling in for Car Davis and Louis Trinca-Pasat. Looking at Wisconsin, they have kind of gone through the same thing with the guys they're plugging in there. Playing at a high level as well.

Q: Diagnosis of Big Ten West changed since the summer?

KF: Not necessarily. I've never been one to make too many judgments on things in September. Nothing surprised me a whole lot and really anything could still happen. Anybody could go on and have a great season and it wouldn't shock me at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.