ADVERTISEMENT

New Story KF Bowl Press Conference Notes

Apr 8, 2003
These are rough quotes and notes from Kirk Ferentz's bowl press conference on Zoom today.

Opening Statement

Just a couple things real quick. Just want to say good afternoon to everybody. Obviously we're very happy to learn we're going to be playing in the Music City Bowl. It's a great reward for our players, a great opportunity for us to be together 10 more days, and compete in one more game. I think the location gives our families a little better access than some locations farther away and will give a chance for some our fans to come to a game this season, so that's exciting as well. It's a little different challenge this year, but we'll figure it out. Also want to give our guys a chance to celebrate the holidays, but will have to wait until after the New Year to get back home.

With my situation, I'll be coaching virtually this week. Anything that the team is involved with I'll do virtually. It will be different. I do want to thank this opportunity to thank everybody for the well wishes I've received. Very fortunate in that regard. Last couple weeks I developed a cough. Usually it's Reese Morgan that gets that in the fall and then I'm right behind him every year. But was really surprised when the test came back. Cough is annoying, but haven't had much other issue. Consider myself extremely lucky, but appreciate everyone's concern.

Also I want to congratulate Coach Campbell and his Iowa State team on an outstanding year. We have two teams in the state in the top 15, which says a lot about both school and both programs. Congratulations to Coach Campbell and his team and wish them the best as they move forward.

Q: Was there more spread within the coaching staff?

KF: You can ask. We haven't talked about COVID at all publicly this year and won't know. If I had my druthers, I wouldn't have announced mine, but it's public information. We have had staff members test positive, guys on the team test positive over the past several months, but we've dealt with it. We've been able to play eight games and would have played nine, minus me, yesterday if our opponent had been able to.

Q: Who manages day to day and practices?

KF: Don't tell anybody, but I really don't do that much so it's not a big loss. Our schedule is laid out. We'll keep doing things virtually. We'll start work independently on Missouri tomorrow and then get the team together on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll meet with the team virtually daily. Biggest thing I'll miss is being at practice. Selfishly, that's what I love doing is being at practice, so I'll miss it but we'll carry on.

Q: You mentioned the excitement about the bowl. You have played in the Outback Bowl a lot. Are you excited to mix it up?

KF: Yeah, two things. Last year we went to California, so that was a big departure outside of the Rose Bowl. I'm still tickled how two years ago everyone was worried about us going back to Tampa. That's a great bowl game. They treat you really well there. This year, it was going to be different no matter where we were going, just going in and out as a team. This one at least a lot of our families can get in a car and drive there. But we would have been happy going anywhere.

Q: What's the outline for the next week and a half? Did you let the players go home?

KF: You debate everything mentally to see both sides of the equation, but it's like in August. I understand some teams kept training in August, but I didn't understand that. When the game got pulled on Tuesday, we told them they are on their own. If they can get home, we encouraged them to do so but reminded them to be cautious. Unless we're in a perfect bubble, there's no way to control this so have to be fair to our players. Now that we're in a bowl game, everybody will come back in tomorrow and get tested. As far as practice, we don't have many options because it's right away almost. Our game week will start on Friday, so we'll do what we always do. Holidays will be like holidays for any bowl game except this year families won't be able to come in the building so it will just be coaches and players in the building. That's about as good as you can do this year. When you coach or play college football, chances are you're not at home for Christmas. If you are, as a coach, you won't be at that school very long.

Reactions: HawkFan59
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News