ADVERTISEMENT

KF in person press conference Friday 6-12 at 2pm

Well if it happens blame the people who caused it. That’s Kirk, Brian & Doyle blaming anyone else is ridiculous. People outside of Iowa looking in at this situation. Currently see fans doing nothing but attacking the players who have spoken up and protecting their coach. So is that really a look ya’ll want? No coach is worth that stain. Damage is done, you’ll never win a cover up in public opinion.
Hawk fans need to face certain facts. This happened, now you just have to rip the bandage off and deal with it. Turn a negative into a positive. Keeping your head in the sand, pretending that all was perfect does nothing but instill the the racists view of Iowa.
Most fans have been very supportive of the players. The continued support for Ferentz is due to most of the former players, the current players families, and the most vocal critics continuing to support KF.

Reactions: 01Hawk05
No way Doyle survives... I don’t think Dylan would’ve transferred if they didn’t already know.

Correct. Putting him on administrative leave is the way to get him out of the building and to conduct an investigation. If they can find overwhelming proof (and no, Tweets are not overwhelming proof) of misconduct than they could fire him with cause and not pay him. My guess is Doyle would contest that tooth and nail so either they have to pay him his contract or reach a settlement.

KF isn't retiring if the PC also includes players. If I'm KF, I don't want to go out like this, with this mess still lingering. I want to truly get the program on better footing.

As to BF and Wallace, depends on what else is revealed that we don't know about.

Correct. Putting him on administrative leave is the way to get him out of the building and to conduct an investigation. If they can find overwhelming proof (and no, Tweets are not overwhelming proof) of misconduct than they could fire him with cause and not pay him. My guess is Doyle would contest that tooth and nail so either they have to pay him his contract or reach a settlement.

KF isn't retiring if the PC also includes players. If I'm KF, I don't want to go out like this, with this mess still lingering. I want to truly get the program on better footing.

As to BF and Wallace, depends on what else is revealed that we don't know about.

The Hawk Central article on the legal issues for this is an interesting read. The allegations against Wallace, and Brian in particular, really complicate how to handle Doyle. If Doyle were to be fired and could prove they were treated differently (not fired) for similar actions, he would have a real case against Iowa. The lawsuit 3 years ago is also a problem. It wouldn't surprise me if cleaning house from Barta down was on the table as a worst case option.

Reactions: bumpstock
I just can't come to terms that a man making 4M a year has no deep interaction with his program over 20 years. At the the very least he's lazy (get rid of him) at worst he fostered the atmosphere (get rid of him). What can he claim in between?
Could you come to terms if he only made $100.000.00 a yr?

Reactions: PerkyForHerky
I just can't come to terms that a man making 4M a year has no deep interaction with his program over 20 years. At the the very least he's lazy (get rid of him) at worst he fostered the atmosphere (get rid of him). What can he claim in between?
I don't think this is a case of KF not knowing so much as not understanding. KF knew that the program was tough, he knew they had a strict set of rules, he knew that Doyle was extremely demanding of the players, he knew the program wasn't for everybody. In fact they took pride in that the program was not for everybody in fact I think they may have seen transfers as evidence that they were being demanding of the players.
And a lot of the feedback Ferentz got suggested that the Iowa way was working. You simply can't argue that Doyle wasn't effective in developing players. Many of Iowa's former athletes have been effusive in their praise of him. Heck even his critics have credited him with being critical to their success. So if the feedback you are getting from players is generally positive it may be hard to see the flaws within the program
What I don't think KF understood is that the culture they had created was biased towards white people. That both white and black players felt limited in their ability to express themselves. That they did not have a voice in the program and an ability to shape the culture. He gave Doyle too much influence and power.

I don't think this is a case of KF not knowing so much as not understanding. KF knew that the program was tough, he knew they had a strict set of rules, he knew that Doyle was extremely demanding of the players, he knew the program wasn't for everybody. In fact they took pride in that the program was not for everybody in fact I think they may have seen transfers as evidence that they were being demanding of the players.
And a lot of the feedback Ferentz got suggested that the Iowa way was working. You simply can't argue that Doyle wasn't effective in developing players. Many of Iowa's former athletes have been effusive in their praise of him. Heck even his critics have credited him with being critical to their success. So if the feedback you are getting from players is generally positive it may be hard to see the flaws within the program
What I don't think KF understood is that the culture they had created was biased towards white people. That both white and black players felt limited in their ability to express themselves. That they did not have a voice in the program and an ability to shape the culture. He gave Doyle too much influence and power.

Exactly this. I think both KF and Doyle were caught off guard and didn't know how players really felt. KF apologizing and immediately taking steps to fix things is why he should continue to lead the team. I'm guessing Doyle's statement was probably the third or fourth version and that's why he is on leave. I think it could have been possible for him to stay had he responded like KF. Now I think he's leaving.

Fair enough, when the smoke clears and a year or two have passed, he will have opportunities as a behind the scenes consultant.
I believe he will start his own business somewhere. I don't think he will be at a college anymore.
He's financially set if he was smart with his money he received so this may be his only option.

nor should he. Bye bye asshole
Oh boo hoo.

If it weren't for the backlash the program would receive, Doyle would not be and should not be fired.

Make sure he knows that his players these days are sensitive to certain things and that he needs to be mindful of who he's talking to and what he says to them. Move forward.

Problem is: I bet a large number of these players talk and walk with a bit of a gangster "i'm from the hood" swagger so I can only imagine how F'n difficult it is to know where the "line" is with many of these young guys.

Try to imagine Kirk and Brian sitting around the living room and talking about players. "Hey dad, did you ever see that tattoo on Cedric Boswell? It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen". A father and son who have a family business aka Hawkeye Football who didn't know what the other talked about or didn't know what the other approved of or disapproved of, is kind of hard to believe.

Problem is: I bet a large number of these players talk and walk with a bit of a gangster "i'm from the hood" swagger so I can only imagine how F'n difficult it is to know where the "line" is with many of these young guys.
What is “gangster ‘I’m from the hood’ swagger” and why do you assume that a large number of Iowa recruits act this way?

Preview of Kirk's press conference

source.gif

Try to imagine Kirk and Brian sitting around the living room and talking about players. "Hey dad, did you ever see that tattoo on Cedric Boswell? It's the stupidest thing I've ever seen". A father and son who have a family business aka Hawkeye Football who didn't know what the other talked about or didn't know what the other approved of or disapproved of, is kind of hard to believe.
Let's use your example of that tattoo. 100% agree things like that might be brought up. How do you think the exchange exactly went?

1) "Dad, did you see Cedric's new tattoo? Thing looked horrible."
"Yeah, not something I'd go with."

2) Dad, did you see Cedric's new tattoo? I made sure to give him shit for it. Thing looked ****ing stupid."
"Thank God son, do it again tomorrow."

Knowing what goes on in a program doesn't me you know how every conversation plays out or that you're getting the full picture. Might be why Kirk being retained and being part of the solution is pretty unanimous among those speaking out.

I'd bet a dollar that those who believe KF and Doyle are gone and Stoops is hired never passed an economics course at Iowa.
The money argument is the weakest its ever been and at this point just lazy.

Do you know how many programs have had to pay out for a fired coach while bringing in a the new guy over the last 20 years?

I dont think they fire KF and bring in Stoops as you mentioned but hiding that under the guise of being a money decision is bogus.

Nebraska was paying 4 coaches at one point while still only getting partial b10 money. Money isn't the problem.

The Hawk Central article on the legal issues for this is an interesting read. The allegations against Wallace, and Brian in particular, really complicate how to handle Doyle. If Doyle were to be fired and could prove they were treated differently (not fired) for similar actions, he would have a real case against Iowa. The lawsuit 3 years ago is also a problem. It wouldn't surprise me if cleaning house from Barta down was on the table as a worst case option.
Correct:

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...ns-tricky-gary-barta-kirk-ferentz/5344148002/

KF isn't fighting for his job; he's fighting for Brian's career in football.

What a cluster. Only Bob Commings coming back to life would get me back to a game next year.

Sports is an escape, a getaway....This is a mess and I want no part of it.

bob Cummings? Guess you like losing boring football. Were you also a lickliter fan? Or maybe there was a coach out there shortly after him who was a winner, beloved by players and even brought in first black player to his conference decades ago. I think his name was Hayden something?

Predictions.
1) Doyle will not be fired today.
2) The 3 players will either all be black or 2 black and one white.
3) Kirk will announce that progress is being made already and there are no sacred cows on the staff. The Independent committee will make their recommendations after they have completed their study. He will announce that they are underway on getting ready for the season and that Iowa Football will be better for this controversy.

bob Cummings? Guess you like losing boring football. Were you also a lickliter fan? Or maybe there was a coach out there shortly after him who was a winner, beloved by players and even brought in first black player to his conference decades ago. I think his name was Hayden something?

Were you there?

Predictions.
3) Kirk will announce that progress is being made already and there are no sacred cows on the staff. The Independent committee will make their recommendations after they have completed their study. He will announce that they are underway on getting ready for the season and that Iowa Football will be better for this controversy.

There is no point to a presser today then

Predictions.
The UI will have severe problems if Doyle isn't terminated. His son is leaving. You should read the tea leaves. It isn't difficult. The bigger issue is the disparate treatment of Doyle and BF. This is ripe for litigation. If I were Doyle's lawyer, I would be salivating. Nothing good comes from nepotism. This is now rearing its ugly head.

What is “gangster ‘I’m from the hood’ swagger” and why do you assume that a large number of Iowa recruits act this way?
Don't play dumb. That word usage was just me trying to clearly get my point across: Point is that I imagine many (not all of course) of these players spent the first 17 years of their lives in VASTLY different environments and cultures and when they bring a lot of this persona to Iowa City (obviously, it's who they are) I imagine the coaches somewhat try to adapt to these players' personalities and, in turn, say things they may assume the player's can relate to and are comfortable with.

Long story short - I bet it is very, very difficult to know where the "line" is.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
What a cluster. Only Bob Commings coming back to life would get me back to a game next year.

Sports is an escape, a getaway....This is a mess and I want no part of it.
Why. I’m a HAWK, I will support this team no matter what happens. Might not like this situation right now, but I’m still supporting my HAWKS.

Im guessing that the presser today is to talk about the new committee of past & present players that they are forming after the shit hit the fan. The three players might be the ones selected to be on the committee, that is chaired by Mike Daniels.

I just think that its too early for anything on any of the allegations. The only way its about Doyle, is if he resigned, and they reached a settlement.

Would it make you happier if they had public hangings for KF, BF, Doyle, Barta and any other white guys associated with the program? Would it help if they just burned down the program altogether because some mommy's boys got their feelings hurt? I'm betting there were plenty of white guys who didn't like Doyle pushing them to be their best or having Brian in their faces, too. But having them come forward might dispel the racial argument if they treated everyone the same.Your fear is that the press conference will not spill enough blood for your satisfaction.

It would make me happier if African-American players weren't subjected to differential treatment and derogatory race-based comments from their coaches.

I'd like to hope most Iowa fans could get behind that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT