ADVERTISEMENT

KF in person press conference Friday 6-12 at 2pm

There is no point to a presser today then

Actually this is quite important during this time. While the whole investigation is happening, it is highly likely that KF will have many media opportunities, where incremental changes happen. It is extremely important for Iowa to give regular updates to show that nothing is being put under any rug, that work is continuing to get done and progress being made. Just getting out in front of the media and the public more during this time will be very important for KF and for Iowa football.

We might get more details today on how the team is handling things, and we may get more updates on what the Advisory committee of former players is up to (who is on it, what will they do, etc.)

Whenever the investigation into Doyle is done that will be another set of news, as well as the other coaches. Not everything has to happen on our timeline.

My 2 cents:

Doyle is done in at the collegiate level. You don't "take a year off" and rebound into another contract as a 70 y/o white guy working with 18 year old black guys, especially with the race allegations and his style being a "hard ass".

Also

If this conference is a nothing burger we have the worst PR of any organization I can think of. Hell, wells Fargo could teach our AD how to better handle public relations if they stand up there and try to feed us fluff.

My 2 cents:

Doyle is done in at the collegiate level. You don't "take a year off" and rebound into another contract as a 70 y/o white guy working with 18 year old black guys, especially with the race allegations and his style being a "hard ass".

Also

If this conference is a nothing burger we have the worst PR of any organization I can think of. Hell, wells Fargo could teach our AD how to better handle public relations if they stand up there and try to feed us fluff.
Doyle isn't nearly that old. That's all.

The press conference is with Kirk and 3 players. If he was announcing hes quitting, he wouldn't do it with 3 players by his side. It would be more formal with him and Barta.

All the press conference will be is Kirk acknowledging he has heard all the allegations and the University is reviewing everything. It likely will involve Doyle getting released.

But theres absolutely no way Kirk announces his resignation next to 3 players.
First intelligent thing that anyone has said. the players are probably going to speak what is going to change, and that they're unified. Maybe wear a sticker on their helmets, kneel during the anthem or right before it. Kirk will talk about the progress that's happening. Then some jack ass ESPN reporter will say how full of it KF is.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Could be: "2020 Is My Last Season" announcement (ala Urban Meyer), and I want to leave the program in a better place. Thereafter, 3 players announce they're dedicating the 2020 season to KF.

Wouldn’t it make a bit more sense to send the best s/c coach in the country to some kind of bs sensitivity training course given that he has a lot of money coming his way with the new contract? It could be a nice ‘we can all change’ moment that the protests seem to be looking for. I’d let the lynch mob try to argue against that approach

The UI will have severe problems if Doyle isn't terminated. His son is leaving. You should read the tea leaves. It isn't difficult. The bigger issue is the disparate treatment of Doyle and BF. This is ripe for litigation. If I were Doyle's lawyer, I would be salivating. Nothing good comes from nepotism. This is now rearing its ugly head.
Doyle will be terminated, I just don't think it happens today.

Wouldn’t it make a bit more sense to send the best s/c coach in the country to some kind of bs sensitivity training course given that he has a lot of money coming his way with the new contract? It could be a nice ‘we can all change’ moment that the protests seem to be looking for. I’d let the lynch mob try to argue against that approach
200.gif

Reactions: littlez
I’m still grappling with the BF Doyle linkage. Every player that has raised concern has mentioned Doyle but only a handful around BF. I don’t read every tweet and article there seems to be a different pattern.

There is no point to a presser today then

Correct. It's going to be quite boring. There will be as little interesting information as possible at this point in time and everyone will forget about it over the weekend. Come early next week, this story will be gasping for air.

Kirk won't be suckered into rash decisions and the media doesn't have the attention span to wait it out. The story has already been losing steam as this week progressed.

I'm really starting to hate the "best SC in the nation" narrative.

He isn't the best, it just makes us feel good. There are several examples of teams doing more with less. Ie Utah and wiscy.

Well 'too trusting' is a new defense. I'm sure a lot of people can use it. People need to stop seeing Kirk as a Paragon of virtue and as an actual flawed human being, in this whole grand scheme of his, he fu**ed up.

For me, the question isn't whether he effed up, it's about how much damage has been done and whether he can fix it going forward. People eff up. You do, I do, KF does. Can he listen, understand and communicate about this topic? If so, perhaps there's a path for him to stay. Several of the prominent players who have come out have indicated that their issue wasn't with KF. That leads me to believe that they think he's capable of fixing this.

If the investigation and/or the task force and/or the guys currently in the locker room disagree with that, then the chances for a change at the top will go up significantly.

There is no way that Doyle gets paid more than what his contract outlines. Probably less.

The chicken little Hawkeye fans that want something major to happen Friday afternoon are going to be super disappointed. Nobody's quitting or being fired. Announcement on decisions by current team (kneeling, etc.) and more details on committee of former players. That's it.

Likely true, although I wouldn't rule out a Doyle move, what with Dillon hitting the transfer portal this week.

Oh boo hoo.

If it weren't for the backlash the program would receive, Doyle would not be and should not be fired.

Make sure he knows that his players these days are sensitive to certain things and that he needs to be mindful of who he's talking to and what he says to them. Move forward.

Problem is: I bet a large number of these players talk and walk with a bit of a gangster "i'm from the hood" swagger so I can only imagine how F'n difficult it is to know where the "line" is with many of these young guys.
Hard row to hoe in today's world with people's feelings hurt by anything and legal issues jumping out from any little thing.
But its also understandable that people don't need to hear silly racial quips, jokibg or not and bei
It would make me happier if African-American players weren't subjected to differential treatment and derogatory race-based comments from their coaches.

I'd like to hope most Iowa fans could get behind that.
I think I would say if No one were subjected to differential treatment or racial comments or attacks.
As long as you legislate by race its racist.

I don't think this is a case of KF not knowing so much as not understanding. KF knew that the program was tough, he knew they had a strict set of rules, he knew that Doyle was extremely demanding of the players, he knew the program wasn't for everybody. In fact they took pride in that the program was not for everybody in fact I think they may have seen transfers as evidence that they were being demanding of the players.
And a lot of the feedback Ferentz got suggested that the Iowa way was working. You simply can't argue that Doyle wasn't effective in developing players. Many of Iowa's former athletes have been effusive in their praise of him. Heck even his critics have credited him with being critical to their success. So if the feedback you are getting from players is generally positive it may be hard to see the flaws within the program
What I don't think KF understood is that the culture they had created was biased towards white people. That both white and black players felt limited in their ability to express themselves. That they did not have a voice in the program and an ability to shape the culture. He gave Doyle too much influence and power.

The walk-ons pod hit this topic pretty well. Talked about what a tough program it is and they were very open about the fact that it was much easier to get into the doghouse than it was to get out of it. They talked about expectations (being early, being dressed properly/shoes tied, and being stretched and ready to work at start time) and how that can be a big adjustment in addition to just being away from home and learning how to be a college student. They talked about the Twitter ban, jewelry in meetings, dress codes and how there's a military boot camp type culture from the jump. They also talked about how a guy can get off on the wrong foot, land in the doghouse and as one of them put it, "it spirals fast". On the flip side, they talked about Jaleel being one of those guys who overcame a bunch of stuff and got himself out of the doghouse and into a big role.

The money argument is the weakest its ever been and at this point just lazy.

Do you know how many programs have had to pay out for a fired coach while bringing in a the new guy over the last 20 years?

I dont think they fire KF and bring in Stoops as you mentioned but hiding that under the guise of being a money decision is bogus.

Nebraska was paying 4 coaches at one point while still only getting partial b10 money. Money isn't the problem.

Ferentz isn't even all that highly paid anymore. There was a point where he was a top 5/top 10 paid coach. In 2019, he was 18th, and 6th in the B1G. He's also only 4-5 years out at this point, so there's not a crazy amount of front money out there.

That said, I don't think he'll be fired and certainly won't be without a recommendation to do so by either the task force of former players or the investigation....and neither one of those groups is anywhere near ready to issue findings.

This could have happened until Doyle added the last paragraph to his statement and stated definitively that he has never said anything with racist overtones. None of us can speak in absolutes because even if we're saints, our intent can be interpreted differently by someone else.....and for him to say that right after talking about listening and learning, well, he pretty much burned that doorway down.

The Hawk Central article on the legal issues for this is an interesting read. The allegations against Wallace, and Brian in particular, really complicate how to handle Doyle. If Doyle were to be fired and could prove they were treated differently (not fired) for similar actions, he would have a real case against Iowa. The lawsuit 3 years ago is also a problem. It wouldn't surprise me if cleaning house from Barta down was on the table as a worst case option.
Why would Barta's screw up three years ago force the university to fire KF? :confused:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT