ADVERTISEMENT

KF Leaving

It was crickets at the end of the regular season last year. Iowa punched its ticket to Indy.

Fact is Iowa has gotten a great value in Ferentz. It’s gonna be a rough year but historically he turns it around. He has transformed the Iowa football brand, kinnick and the culture in very positive ways.
Now he is turning our football team into the laughing stock of college football because of Brian and Spencer. Kirk will be the coach for years to come but he needs to be held accountable for everything that has happened with Brian (hired as OC and QB coach)

Reactions: Kurt Warner
I get frustrated with KF all the time but be careful what you wish for. Don't forget we are in Iowa and we have an excellent example of what can happen from two close neighbors to the west when you start cycling through coaches.

I get frustrated with KF all the time but be careful what you wish for. Don't forget we are in Iowa and we have an excellent example of what can happen from two close neighbors to the west when you start cycling through coaches.
So you must be planning on KF living forever? Are we destined to have losing football for ever when KF is gone? There must have been some saying the same thing during Hayden’s last couple of years.

Wow, that is actually completely nuts….how is Barta still employed as an AD?

And who’s Kirk’s agent? That guy must be stellar

Edit: it also explains the reasoning and Kirk’s attitude….he knows he isn’t going anywhere at any point no matter how bad things get….so he’s telling us all to correctly take a hike…

Barta should have been canned after the Jane Meyer $6M lawsuit fiasco

It was crickets at the end of the regular season last year. Iowa punched its ticket to Indy.

Fact is Iowa has gotten a great value in Ferentz. It’s gonna be a rough year but historically he turns it around. He has transformed the Iowa football brand, kinnick and the culture in very positive ways.

but why can't we simply have an AVERAGE offense?

imagine the results of this program then?

Using the rear view mirror, what was Iowa’s best win last year?

beating a 7-6 Penn state team.

Kirk’s most valuable commodity is a Big Ten West schedule.

Transformed the brand? Are you serious?! Maybe from semi sexy under Hayden to not sexy but he and Hayden have almost the exact same winning percentage at Iowa. He has maintained what Hayden built but get out of here with that transformed the brand bullshit.... Hayden brought us the tiger hawk along with the uniforms we still wear today and actually had offenses that weren't a national laughingstock
And yet didn't win anymore games, (which seems relevant). I've said this many times, but you can do your own research if you want. Fry (god love him for everything he did), psychology major. One of his greatest mental tricks he accompllished was getting the fan base to think we were some kind of offensive juggernaut. He did this by pounding the bad teams (especially the dregs of the BIG at the time) we played and running up the score on the NW, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and OSU teams. Then go back and see the scores and the record against the top teams. Its no better, and probably worse then KF's record. I think KF's record against ranked teams is certainly better then Fry's . Take a look.....

The usual ‘we are just Iowa’ post, and ‘be careful what you wish for’. No coach stays at a program this long anymore unless they are winning championships. Kirk isn’t doing that even in the pathetic west division. Except for last year when every bounce went our way, and the defense bailed us out every game. The program is stale, and has been. The only coach that should still be here is Woods, and Parker. Other than that they should all be gone and start from scratch. We could be a hell of a lot better with someone other than a Ferentz here, you know maybe a coach that had a clue about offense.

How many times does the contract roll over? Is it always 6 years or does it have an end date? Will not call it a termination date.

The usual ‘we are just Iowa’ post, and ‘be careful what you wish for’. No coach stays at a program this long anymore unless they are winning championships. Kirk isn’t doing that even in the pathetic west division. Except for last year when every bounce went our way, and the defense bailed us out every game. The program is stale, and has been. The only coach that should still be here is Woods, and Parker. Other than that they should all be gone and start from scratch. We could be a hell of a lot better with someone other than a Ferentz here, you know maybe a coach that had a clue about offense.
You delusional if you think Parker or Woods remain if there is any removing of the head coach. You will be getting a new AD, HC and on and on… starting from scratch.

but why can't we simply have an AVERAGE offense?

imagine the results of this program then?
I agree but certainly we can all see the strategy last year. Don’t turn it over, bombs away punter, play great D, we make field goals.

I’m not trying to defend KF here. I’m just saying he didn’t forget how to coach.

Using the rear view mirror, what was Iowa’s best win last year?

beating a 7-6 Penn state team.

Kirk’s most valuable commodity is a Big Ten West schedule.
That PSU win was 3 vs 4 and a great win no matter how either team finished the season. You can’t pick which division you’re put it.

I’m as frustrated as anyone but just putting a different perspective on it.

Winningest football coach in Iowa history. Would have been 2-0 if Bruce hadn't fallen down or Pottebaum had held on to the ball.

Let's fire him immediately.

Yes, the offense sucked last year as well on the way to 10 wins. There's the door KF

The teams he beats aren't good enough. See ya' KF.

Great defense and special teams. Adios amigo.

KF is greedy and just mailing it in to say FU to the fans! The great, loyal Iowa fans! Fans are entitled to wins AND entertainment!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edit: it also explains the reasoning and Kirk’s attitude….he knows he isn’t going anywhere at any point no matter how bad things get….so he’s telling us all to correctly take a hike…
Need a new AD (maybe the woman who they just hired from Ball State) to come in and fire Brian, saying the Iowa athletic department will no longer allow nepotism on their coaching staffs.

This is the nuclear option to get out of an expensive buyout.
I had so much hope when Bruce Harreld was hired as the new President. He was a businessman who didn't take sh*t from no one. He came on board shortly after the Meyer/Griesbaum fiasco, and he couldn't have been nearly as impressed as everyone seems to be with GB's alleged unique fundraising abilities. I thought for sure he'd be sent packing. Such a disappointment.

The new AD wouldn't have canned KF, but there sure as hell would not have been another ridiculous extension or a promotion of BF to OC. KF probably would have then retired ~2018 when he should have. Then now we'd be in our 4th year of a new regime under a hungry young HC, and based on how things were in the 3rd-4th years under HF and KF, things would undoubtedly be looking pretty sweet compared to what we're stuck with here in reality world.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
The above is very true. Ferentz did not transform the Iowa brand that was no other than Hayden Fry.

I haven’t read this whole thread but I would imagine he meant took it to another level…

Lots of people in here with really bad memories.

Iowa has a much better record against teams with winning records. In fact it’s not actually close…

and here’s something really funny, the last I checked Hayden also had way more games where they scored 10 points or less… What Hayden Fry was, was a marketing and promotional genius!!!!

I had so much hope when Bruce Harreld was hired as the new President. He was a businessman who didn't take sh*t from no one. He came on board shortly after the Meyer/Griesbaum fiasco, and he couldn't have been nearly as impressed as everyone seems to be with GB's alleged unique fundraising abilities. I thought for sure he'd be sent packing. Such a disappointment.

The new AD wouldn't have canned KF, but there sure as hell would not have been another ridiculous extension or a promotion of BF to OC. KF probably would have then retired ~2018 when he should have. Then now we'd be in our 4th year of a new regime under a hungry young HC, and based on how things were in the 3rd-4th years under HF and KF, things would undoubtedly be looking pretty sweet compared to what we're stuck with here in reality world.

Dude I have to tell you, you don’t live in a reality world… I want you to pick me five teams, just five out of 132 Division I FBS programs… that have hired new coaches any time in the last 20 years that have a better overall record than we’ve had the last five years?

Extremely sad aspirations, look at what Wisconsin has done... No way would Barry or their new AD put up with this.

How KF currently is running the program their ceiling is extremely low, we may squeak into a Big Ten Championship game once every 5 years that we don't have the offense to compete in and get completely humiliated.

Are you actually aware of the number of teams that have played in the Big 10 championship from the west?

For those that think Barta Has any say about him firing KF. Did you see the buy out.

Ace Anbender of thebucketproblem.com took on the task of compiling the various coaching contracts from across the Big Ten, and even though he knew Ferentz’s buyout was massive, the actual number turned out to be even bigger than he expected.

According to Anbender, Ferentz’s buyout is equal to $6 million per year for the duration of his contract. Since Ferentz has eight years remaining on his deal with the Hawkeyes, that means that if Iowa were to fire Ferentz today, they would still owe him a mindblowing $48 million.
Defensive coordinators, sport agents and a dumb AD are the best things that have ever happened to Kirk Ferentz.

Donor stepped in and made a donation for roughly that amount right after it. He should have documented the issues he had with her rather than just passing it along as satisfactory reviews. She interviewed at like 20 other jobs and no one hired her, so that sort of speaks volumes also. I think Barta wanted her gone that way, but there were no takers.

Winningest football coach in Iowa history. Would have been 2-0 if Bruce hadn't fallen down or Pottebaum had held on to the ball.

Yes, the offense sucked last year as well on the way to 10 wins. There's the door KF

KF is greedy and just mailing it in to say FU to the fans! The great, loyal Iowa fans! Fans are entitled to wins AND entertainment!

gallery_262_158_148610.gif

Kirk doesn't deserve being fired...not even in the ballpark. He does however deserve criticism for the offense and his lack of addressing it.

Fu$&k no he doesn’t deserve to be fired.

And this offense is indeed embarrassing !!!

And still would have lost the Iowa State game if they don’t fumble it away at the 1 yard line or throw an interception deep in the red zone. Dude, don’t play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game.

Reactions: BetterLuckNextTime
And still would have lost the Iowa State game if they don’t fumble it away at the 1 yard line or throw an interception deep in the red zone. Dude, don’t play the woulda, coulda, shoulda game.
So Iowa State is so so great and a wide open creative offense and they come out with 10 points? What Iowa lacked was Ragaini and Johnson and more than one RB that was ready to go. And the OL is learning on the job. Hey Logan Jones you want to play center? We know you haven't done it before and you have to make the line calls, but hey after one game you will be all big 10 at the position.

• Haha
Reactions: oxHawk and frydaze
So Iowa State is so so great and a wide open creative offense and they come out with 10 points? What Iowa lacked was Ragaini and Johnson and more than one RB that was ready to go. And the OL is learning on the job. Hey Logan Jones you want to play center? We know you haven't done it before and you have to make the line calls, but hey after one game you will be all big 10 at the position.
Dude, stop being a homer. The thing true Hawk fans hate are those tavern Hawk fans who cry like babies over a loss. Man up. You’re the reason ISU fans laugh at many if our fans. So please, just STFU until we play them next year and hopefully beat them.

Last edited:
The devil you know ……….
We don’t have a Brad Banks, Shon Greene …….
We have Taylor and Campbell , have to play to your strengths
KF did not just forget how to coach, maybe BF never knew

Kirk wants to win too. He can see what is going on. He is not stupid. He has to manage any dissent internally. I don't go batshit insane after a few games. Imagine we were Northwestern and have the swings up and down they have.

Well here’s the sad thing, their fan base is generally smarter than ours and they are just as awful… I’ve read their board for years!

Reactions: frydaze

Neil Cornrich....no really....Neil Cornrich.

Last edited:
I think “recovered” the brand is certainly warranted. The 90s Hawks were not the same as the 80s Hawks. Hayden had some good years in the mid-90s, but the program was clearly on the downswing when Fry retired.
Iowa had 1 bad season at the end of Hayden's tenure when he was hiding a cancer diagnosis, does that mean Kirk's brand gets flushed down the toilet if this season turns out to be like 2012? Kirk's only cancer is his blind nepotism and that's self imposed

Iowa was in the Rose Bowl in 90 and 91 team might have been Hayden's best at 10-1-1. That 97 team was ranked most of season and would have stayed if Sherman wasn't so awful. That Shaw/Banks/Dwight/DeVries brand of football was at least entertaining to watch but 95-97 was very Kirk like as far as results. I bet Kirk would be the first to defend what Hayden built and laugh at the idea he was a savior to it. Kirk doesn't have success year 3 without guys like Betts, Kampman, Hill.

I would compare Ferentz to Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech. The Hokies have dropped off since Frank retired. Beamer had some really good years, and mostly above average seasons. He never really had any juggernauts. They were disciplined, had great special teams, and solid offenses. He has a son who is following in his father's footsteps as well.

Kirk will quit when he is ready. Regardless how this year goes, he isn't going to coach many more years. I still want him to leave on his own terms. Yes, the offense does make me pissed but the rest of the program is in pretty good shape. Whoever comes in next won't inherit what he did after Fry left. You also have massive Big Ten resources, good facilities, and one of the best home atmospheres in the country. Given we have had exactly two coaches in 43 years that is a pretty good recruiting tool for a good coach.

So you must be planning on KF living forever? Are we destined to have losing football for ever when KF is gone? There must have been some saying the same thing during Hayden’s last couple of years.
Losing football??? Better go check the records for last five years.

I ask that all the time. The controversy section of his Wikipedia page is by far the longest. As a whole U of I ranks last or near last in the Big Ten every year in the directors cup rankings for performance across all sports. The whole debacle now with the inept coaches kid being hired the way he was, then made a coordinator no questions asked and failing and hamstringing the program. The ridiculous fireproof contracts he hands out.

But he brings a lot of money in from donors! Lol. There is so much money flooding into college athletics in the last two decades it's insane. He's doing it in a state where it's the only show in town and doesn't have to compete against any professional teams in football and basketball.
The directors cup is a joke in my opinion. A scoring system based on 19 sports when the median offered by the majority of schools is 16. Iowa offers 22. So they all must be stellar in order to finish highly ranked. Stanford has a stranglehold on the championship almost every year due to offering 36 sports. And 4 sports (if offered) must be included in final scoring: baseball, men's and women's basketball, and volleyball. What an odd choice of must haves.

Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT