ADVERTISEMENT

KF: Observations on his approach

hawkimatt

HB Heisman
Oct 18, 2001
I attended a professional conference in my industry and one of the speakers was sports psychologist to the stars (Greg Norman, Tiger Woods, Ivan Lendl and others) Dr. Rick Jensen. His comments made me think of KF, both the reality of his work and the public perception of it. Jensen had some observations on the methods consistently employed by some of those who have achieved the highest level of success:

* Tiger Woods: He's changed swing coaches multiple times. Each time he did so, his game initially took a step back, but then always exceeded past levels of success. It remains to be seen whether he can pull it off one more time.

* All of the greats have a different view of their work than the general public does. The great ones look at the "drivers" (i.e. behaviors) that lead to success rather than focusing on the outcomes. The outside world (media, fans) only look at the outcomes. KF has verbalized that reality and taken shots for it by some of our resident HR experts.

* All of the greats have a plan before diving into the tactical elements of the work.

I don't know KF personally, but it seems to me that despite his spiraling popularity, the basic underpinnings of success are there. He's a man of principal that is patient enough to work a plan with knowledge that long-term results always trump any one success or failure. Like Tiger, we'll see if KF is able to pull this program back up to where we'd all like it to be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News