ADVERTISEMENT

KF on Nebraska

Thanks. Kf seems amazed at how the Hawks pulled the Minn game out. Go Hawks!

As usual he owes his paycheck to Phil Parker for saving his arse
BS!
As Dave Wannstead said yesterday on BTN Live when he picked KF for Big Ten COY
" When the team has lost 3 in a row amidst a hailstorm of criticism he had to stand in front of that group and keep them United in belief that all is not lost. Inspire them..galvanize them. That falls on one guy in that moment."

KF has built a strong foundation with a family culture that pays dividends in seasons like this.
Phil is great but KFs leadership matters.

BS!
" When the team has lost 3 in a row amidst a hailstorm of criticism he had to stand in front of that group and keep them United in belief that all is not lost. Inspire them..galvanize them. That falls on one guy in that moment."

KF has built a strong foundation with a family culture that pays dividends in seasons like this.
Phil is great but KFs leadership matters.
McNutt and Dochterman said the same on TV this week.

Ridiculous take for this game specifically. Petras made the plays that won the game...and it didn't involve luck. Love the Hawks defense...but they were getting absolutely manhandled and had no answer for it. Phil Parker must feel like the luckiest guy in Iowa to get out of MN with that win.

Ridiculous take for this game specifically. Petras made the plays that won the game...and it didn't involve luck. Love the Hawks defense...but they were getting absolutely manhandled and had no answer for it. Phil Parker must feel like the luckiest guy in Iowa to get out of MN with that win.
Agree to disagree I guess.

Defense bailed out offense as usual and gave them a short field to work with, which as we know us about the only way we score anymore. Phil continues to make up for Kirk’s crappy sons offense time and time again.

Phil Parker is leader of this team, we live and breathe off the defense.

Defense bailed out offense as usual and gave them a short field to work with, which as we know us about the only way we score anymore. Phil continues to make up for Kirk’s crappy sons offense time and time again.

Sounds like we have differing opinions on this game....and on who we think is the leader of the team. I'm ok with that. Happy Thanksgiving...and Go HAWKS!

That is the job of a defense. FFS, we get it...you don't like BF. Got it.

It seems like when the offense gets in 3-4 receiver/tight end wide sets and then runs a jet motion, the offense does well. I hope we see a lot of that on Friday and Spencer gets the time he needs to throw a few down field balls. That's what I'm hoping happens. Go Hawks!!!!

Reactions: Bishop1971
BS!

He is a good coach, no doubt. Kudos to him for keeping the team together.

But since he was the architect of the demise that created the "hailstorm of criticism" in the first place, it's a good thing amidst the bad.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
He is a good coach, no doubt. Kudos to him for keeping the team together.

But since he was the architect of the demise that created the "hailstorm of criticism" in the first place, it's a good thing amidst the bad.
excellent point.

like JFK allowing his boat to be rammed and then "saving"9 guys' lives and getting a medal for it. Or letting the Russians put missles in Cuba and then looking like a hero for kicking them out.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Wasn't sure if this was serious or not at first. TEN POINTS!!! Who gives a shit what they ran for, anytime the D surrenders 10 or less I'm ecstatic because the Hawks should win even with that O and this game was a perfect example.

Anytime you score only 13 but still get the win it was because of defense, that is usually what the losing team scores. It's just amazing how much some people take Phil's consistency for granted. Offenses consistently in the bottom 25 pct of fbs teams have warped the homers' minds over the years

Kirk does deserve a ton of credit for keeping the team together when 2 units are performing great and one is abysmal. I'll definitely tip my cap there

Reactions: CookyMonster
Who got those turnovers

I like BF. And that is no joke.
I do too. I think he does the best he can with what he’s got. We could go round and round about how talent level is his responsibility too - and it is, and how every now and again he throws in some bonehead play calls like the FB dive or slow WR end around…. But on balance, I do have a positive opinion of him.

But I won’t die on that hill - needs to keep proving it.

What a moronic thing to say. Phil Parker is an outstanding coach, but he LITERALLY owes his paycheck to KF, who hired him, promoted him to DC and is his boss. That’s how organizations work.

The defense got “manhandled” for ten points.

First of all, I still like the offensive scheme. I like the usage and featuring of the TE. Nobody else really does that, so you would think that if you desired to be a great TE and hopefully be a Kittle, you have your shot here more than any other school. It has shown to be, both in college and pros, as possibly the biggest mismatch on the field. Think of Gronk, Kelci, Kittle, Clark, etc. It is true that elite WR's can also be a true mismatch, however, one must be realistic that the geography of the location of Iowa, the local talent and the weather don't bode well for consistently recruiting these types of players. If we do that is great, that just adds another weapon and another element of depth to the offense. I also really like the pro-style scheme because while it is complex, it is able to counter pretty much whatever a defense can throw at it. I like that with this scheme we can run a multitude of plays, both run and pass, out of the same formations and same personnel. That is a huge advantage in setting up plays for later in the game.

For what I don't like with offenses, is building an offense around a particular player. Its is very risky because if that player gets hurt your season could just go down the drain, and also, it is hard to build a stable long-term plan with the program because it is really really hard to recruit talent like that consistently. I much rather like the idea of having a base system and scheme, then modifying the plays or play calling within that scheme in order to suit a particular player's talents. The other thing I don't like is depending on the QB to run the ball as a part of your base offense. I think it is great for the QB to occassionally use his legs to pick up a first down and to be mobile enough to elude pressure, but asking your QB to run is asking for trouble. For every Cam Newton that was able to make it through a year unscathed and win a championship there are 100 Hendon Hookers and Adrian Martinez's that couldn't make it to the end. I know it is so tempting because the threat of the run can do so many things, like forcing safeties into the box, slowing down a pass rush, etc., but you are only playing with fire. We have seen so many coaches hitch their wagons to those types of QB's and the success or demise (mostly demise) was dependent on the health of that one player. Scott Frost is a great example and he paid for it.

I don't necessarily dislike spread offenses, however, I think when that is meta and everyone is running the same scheme then everyone is competing for the same players. It also does not do your defense any favors. Look at Bama. I know Saban is on record as saying he made a conscious decision to score more points when his background was all about sound defense, ball control, sound special teams, etc. But since he has made that switch his defense has suffered for it. I bet you there is a big part of him right now that is unsettled losing games after giving up 52 points like they did to Tennessee or 32 to LSU. I know they have won championships with that style, but it is Bama and they get to pick what players they want pretty much before anyone else can start begging for them.

Now as it comes to Brian, I think he does a good job of managing and coaching that scheme. I have seen him make some great play calls, even late in games, and be able to scheme plays according to what the defenses are doing. If you notice with our offense, it has been quite a while since an Iowa player has done something really special with a great individual effort. I go back to KJ last year in the MN game, that was a huge play and probably the play that won the game. But since then, how many times have we seen Petras throw up a 50/50 ball and our guy went up and got it? It doesn't happen. We don't have the players for that, but, if you watch these other games with Bama, the west coast teams, etc. they do it all the time. Is that great offense? I don't think so particularly. My point is that here at Iowa, with the players that are here, everything and I mean everything has to be earned. Say what you want, but some of the stuff that BF has called and drawn up has been brilliant. Case in point is the Y seam route to Lachey against MN. He called it and they executed it in winning time.

So if I evaluate BF as an OC, I think he is doing a good job with what he has. The problem of all problems right now is how terrible the offensive line is and really how bad it has been for quite some time. That cannot be understated. If BF is lumped in with the performance of the o-line, then, I will give you that, but, I don't know how he can be, its not his job now. And you have to admit it was pretty good when he did manage that. The bottom line is I don't see any OC or any QB being able to do anything consistently with the problems up front. If the line was consistent to Iowa standards and somebody emerged as a decent vertical threat (like a healthy KJ), I think you would see a much more dynamic offense that could execute at all 3 levels. But aside from that, with as bad as the stats are and as bad as the eye test is at times, they have still been able to scratch and claw enough together to win a lot of games and possibly 2 championships in a row. BF as well as SP deserve some credit for that because nobody else has been able to do that.

Didn't Iowa have 2 long scoring drives (59 yards and 66 yards) to put Iowa in the lead?

Agreed with this. Defense held MN to 10 points and nearly scored - again. Our offense had some nice situational plays but needed the defense to get them the ball back twice in crunch time...

Reactions: QChawks

The homers think big Spence won the game by making a nice pass to Lachey after the defense set them up with a short field. Good pass, yes, but the offense did nothing outside the 1st quarter and the last "drive" of the game, and he missed a wide open Ragaini for a sure TD, and he got extremely lucky on the awful pass to the flat that was high and tipped right into the hands of Minnesota DB and dropped that was a sure pick 6 and game over. Run defense was junk all day, but they ended up getting 2 turnovers that saved the game. If Minnesota got just a field goal it was game over.

Reactions: QChawks
First of all, I still like the offensive scheme. I like the usage and featuring of the TE. Nobody else really does that, so you would think that if you desired to be a great TE and hopefully be a Kittle, you have your shot here more than any other school. It has shown to be, both in college and pros, as possibly the biggest mismatch on the field. Think of Gronk, Kelci, Kittle, Clark, etc. It is true that elite WR's can also be a true mismatch, however, one must be realistic that the geography of the location of Iowa, the local talent and the weather don't bode well for consistently recruiting these types of players. If we do that is great, that just adds another weapon and another element of depth to the offense. I also really like the pro-style scheme because while it is complex, it is able to counter pretty much whatever a defense can throw at it. I like that with this scheme we can run a multitude of plays, both run and pass, out of the same formations and same personnel. That is a huge advantage in setting up plays for later in the game.

For what I don't like with offenses, is building an offense around a particular player. Its is very risky because if that player gets hurt your season could just go down the drain, and also, it is hard to build a stable long-term plan with the program because it is really really hard to recruit talent like that consistently. I much rather like the idea of having a base system and scheme, then modifying the plays or play calling within that scheme in order to suit a particular player's talents. The other thing I don't like is depending on the QB to run the ball as a part of your base offense. I think it is great for the QB to occassionally use his legs to pick up a first down and to be mobile enough to elude pressure, but asking your QB to run is asking for trouble. For every Cam Newton that was able to make it through a year unscathed and win a championship there are 100 Hendon Hookers and Adrian Martinez's that couldn't make it to the end. I know it is so tempting because the threat of the run can do so many things, like forcing safeties into the box, slowing down a pass rush, etc., but you are only playing with fire. We have seen so many coaches hitch their wagons to those types of QB's and the success or demise (mostly demise) was dependent on the health of that one player. Scott Frost is a great example and he paid for it.

I don't necessarily dislike spread offenses, however, I think when that is meta and everyone is running the same scheme then everyone is competing for the same players. It also does not do your defense any favors. Look at Bama. I know Saban is on record as saying he made a conscious decision to score more points when his background was all about sound defense, ball control, sound special teams, etc. But since he has made that switch his defense has suffered for it. I bet you there is a big part of him right now that is unsettled losing games after giving up 52 points like they did to Tennessee or 32 to LSU. I know they have won championships with that style, but it is Bama and they get to pick what players they want pretty much before anyone else can start begging for them.

Now as it comes to Brian, I think he does a good job of managing and coaching that scheme. I have seen him make some great play calls, even late in games, and be able to scheme plays according to what the defenses are doing. If you notice with our offense, it has been quite a while since an Iowa player has done something really special with a great individual effort. I go back to KJ last year in the MN game, that was a huge play and probably the play that won the game. But since then, how many times have we seen Petras throw up a 50/50 ball and our guy went up and got it? It doesn't happen. We don't have the players for that, but, if you watch these other games with Bama, the west coast teams, etc. they do it all the time. Is that great offense? I don't think so particularly. My point is that here at Iowa, with the players that are here, everything and I mean everything has to be earned. Say what you want, but some of the stuff that BF has called and drawn up has been brilliant. Case in point is the Y seam route to Lachey against MN. He called it and they executed it in winning time.

So if I evaluate BF as an OC, I think he is doing a good job with what he has. The problem of all problems right now is how terrible the offensive line is and really how bad it has been for quite some time. That cannot be understated. If BF is lumped in with the performance of the o-line, then, I will give you that, but, I don't know how he can be, its not his job now. And you have to admit it was pretty good when he did manage that. The bottom line is I don't see any OC or any QB being able to do anything consistently with the problems up front. If the line was consistent to Iowa standards and somebody emerged as a decent vertical threat (like a healthy KJ), I think you would see a much more dynamic offense that could execute at all 3 levels. But aside from that, with as bad as the stats are and as bad as the eye test is at times, they have still been able to scratch and claw enough together to win a lot of games and possibly 2 championships in a row. BF as well as SP deserve some credit for that because nobody else has been able to do that.
The offensive line started regressing under Brian, and has continued to get worse. The offensive scheme sucks, and is outdated. Doing the best with what he has? He has been the OC for how many years now, and the offense has sucked ever since, and it's getting worse. Let's give him and Petras credit though for being the worst QB in the country, and Brian for being Spencer's QB coach, and for having the 2nd worst offense in the country. They deserve a lot of credit LOL. As far as doing the best with what he has, isn't Brian responsible for recruiting and then playing the players he recruits on offense? Maybe he needs to recruit better players.

Reactions: biggreydogs

This is so, so dumb. How many points did Minnesota score??? How many turnovers did our D give our O?

YOUR take on this is ludacris. I honestly think you’re either joking or you’re too young to actually give proper analysis of a football game.

So being one of the worst ranked offense in the nation is not a BF issue?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
The offensive line started regressing under Brian, and has continued to get worse. The offensive scheme sucks, and is outdated. Doing the best with what he has? He has been the OC for how many years now, and the offense has sucked ever since, and it's getting worse. Let's give him and Petras credit though for being the worst QB in the country, and Brian for being Spencer's QB coach, and for having the 2nd worst offense in the country. They deserve a lot of credit LOL. As far as doing the best with what he has, isn't Brian responsible for recruiting and then playing the players he recruits on offense? Maybe he needs to recruit better players.
Recruiting = coaching

Reactions: ClarindaA's

One player got 267 or so yards rushing. They were manhandled but yes they did make plays when they needed to.

So being one of the worst ranked offense in the nation is not a BF issue?
It is a BF issue, I am not arguing that. However the question was who likes Brian, and I said I did. Then I explained why. I am not making excuses for why the offense was really bad at times this year and last year, it is what it is. We all see that. I am saying I believe in the scheme and what he is doing with it. Is he responsible for recruiting and developing players? Absolutely, I don't disagree with that. But we can't do anything about it at this point and that is why I am saying he is doing the best with what he has.

I am not for or against getting rid of Brian. My only criteria is that before we just react (not like it is our choice in the first place) and get rid of Brian, I would like to see there be a comprehensive evaluation and replacement in place first. What I mean by comprehensive is somebody that has experience with a scheme that can be unique to our competitors so that it is something that we can recruit consistently even though we may be disadvantaged with geography and NIL. But no matter who is the OC, the glaring problem is still the offensive line and that is something they are going to have to deal with. I will admit that I do not know how much involvement that the OC at Iowa or OC's at other schools have with recruiting and developing offensive linemen, so that of course is part of that evaluation.

Our offense is hampered by an inexperienced/weak offensive line, WR that have trouble with separation, and a QB that is below average. Andy Reid might have trouble with this offense.

Reactions: chuck285
This is so, so dumb. How many points did Minnesota score??? How many turnovers did our D give our O?

YOUR take on this is ludacris. I honestly think you’re either joking or you’re too young to actually give proper analysis of a football game.
I honestly couldn't give 2 $hits what you think or have to say. Nearly every post you make is laced with ignorance and BS. Fly your kite, trimdick.

The homers think big Spence won the game by making a nice pass to Lachey after the defense set them up with a short field. Good pass, yes, but the offense did nothing outside the 1st quarter and the last "drive" of the game, and he missed a wide open Ragaini for a sure TD, and he got extremely lucky on the awful pass to the flat that was high and tipped right into the hands of Minnesota DB and dropped that was a sure pick 6 and game over. Run defense was junk all day, but they ended up getting 2 turnovers that saved the game. If Minnesota got just a field goal it was game over.
First off....you are hands down the worst poster on this board. Congratulations for being that guy that no one would ever want to hang out with.

Interestingly....you write your post to suggest that Petras only made one play the entire game....the pass late in the game to Lachey. That's all anyone needs to know about you. If you think that was all he did....you are every bit of the moron that folks on this board have assumed you are. Ignorance while you continuously post your stupidity is a bad look....but a look we are use to seeing from you. Terrific work....I'm sure you will keep it up.

ADVERTISEMENT