ADVERTISEMENT

KF with more "insight" into what he wants in a QB

FWIW4922463

HR All-State
Apr 1, 2021
From today's article by Chad Leistikow in the Press-Citizen: (see the whole article here: https://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2021/12/26/iowa-football-citrus-bowl-kentucky-hawkeyes-quarterback-spencer-petras-alex-padilla-2022/8987155002/)

* * *​

Ferentz conceded this week that Labas had been among the young players who have flashed during bowl preparation but added that the freshman was “not quite ready to start yet, that’s for sure.”

“If he's going off cards, he's great. If he's running our offense … uhhh, it might be a small playbook,” Ferentz said. “I'm joking. But he's doing a good job.”

Ferentz further cracked of Labas’ improvisational skills off script, “Now we’ve got to get him on script.”

To which I (and probably others) would answer: Maybe that’s been the problem with Iowa’s lack of progress at the QB position overall — a reluctance to go off script. Nate Stanley wasn’t much better as a senior in 2019 than he was as a sophomore. The same can be said about Petras. Perhaps an injection of play-making ability from the pocket is what the Hawkeyes’ stale offense needs to come alive.

* * *​
So once again, out of KF's own mouth, is even more evidence that he has no clue about offense in general or the QB position in particular. This is why he wants the likes of Jake Christensen, Jake Rudock, Nate Stanley, and Spencer Petras instead of Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, or CJ Beathard. This is why Iowa's offense is mired in mediocrity and much worse most of the time. Only when KF is forced to play mobile QBs does the Iowa offense consistently succeed.

And so even after bad-mouthing 4-star Texas QB Deuce Hogan into the transfer portal, KF is still "joking" about a QB he agreed to give a scholarship too, a QB--Labas--who his teammates say makes great athletic plays when he ad-libs, even against the first team defense, but who is lacking in the key skills KF seeks--game management, which means following the script. Period.

When KF keeps saying this BS, I don't know how anyone can fail to see that he always has been the problem with the Iowa offense and, apparently, he's determined to continue in that role, no matter what. Just IMHO, of course.

I like KF, a ton. He's been an amazing leader fir our program. But the OP does make some good points.
You think Mahomes was always on script when he took the NFL by storm? You Bert Favre was always on script?
Those guys were allowed to go win and do whatever it takes to keep the offense on the field.
I get it. We trust the security of the play...everybody do their part and execute and the plays should work. But that doesn't happen enough, and sometimes you just gotta let the peacock fly!

From today's article by Chad Leistikow in the Press-Citizen: (see the whole article here: https://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2021/12/26/iowa-football-citrus-bowl-kentucky-hawkeyes-quarterback-spencer-petras-alex-padilla-2022/8987155002/)

* * *​

Ferentz conceded this week that Labas had been among the young players who have flashed during bowl preparation but added that the freshman was “not quite ready to start yet, that’s for sure.”

“If he's going off cards, he's great. If he's running our offense … uhhh, it might be a small playbook,” Ferentz said. “I'm joking. But he's doing a good job.”

Ferentz further cracked of Labas’ improvisational skills off script, “Now we’ve got to get him on script.”

To which I (and probably others) would answer: Maybe that’s been the problem with Iowa’s lack of progress at the QB position overall — a reluctance to go off script. Nate Stanley wasn’t much better as a senior in 2019 than he was as a sophomore. The same can be said about Petras. Perhaps an injection of play-making ability from the pocket is what the Hawkeyes’ stale offense needs to come alive.

* * *​
So once again, out of KF's own mouth, is even more evidence that he has no clue about offense in general or the QB position in particular. This is why he wants the likes of Jake Christensen, Jake Rudock, Nate Stanley, and Spencer Petras instead of Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, or CJ Beathard. This is why Iowa's offense is mired in mediocrity and much worse most of the time. Only when KF is forced to play mobile QBs does the Iowa offense consistently succeed.

And so even after bad-mouthing 4-star Texas QB Deuce Hogan into the transfer portal, KF is still "joking" about a QB he agreed to give a scholarship too, a QB--Labas--who his teammates say makes great athletic plays when he ad-libs, even against the first team defense, but who is lacking in the key skills KF seeks--game management, which means following the script. Period.

When KF keeps saying this BS, I don't know how anyone can fail to see that he always has been the problem with the Iowa offense and, apparently, he's determined to continue in that role, no matter what. Just IMHO, of course.
Any QB who can't take a joke lacks the maturity and mental toughness to be a DI QB period. Everyone with any intelligence knows Deuce left because he got passed over and the joke was just an excuse so he didn't have to own up to being passed over. Odds are Deuce will not be playing for an FCS school next year.

As for Ferentz quote on Labas, he basically said he doesn't know the full playbook yet but has great improvisational skills. And he alluded that before he can hand Labas the keys, Labas needs to know more of the playbook which makes all the sense in the world. Labas likely knows he needs to learn the playbook and one would hope he is mature enough to handle the coach saying so publicly.

You don't want to throw in a guy into the fire who only has 10-15 plays down pat. A starting QB needs to know most of if not the entire playbook and be able to audible into a play to attack a defense. At the very least he has to know enough plays to be able to read the signals from the sideline. You can have all the elusiveness in the world, but if you're not certain how the play will develop there's bound to be hesitation which leads to negative plays and turnovers. By the end of spring, I expect Labas will be in the thick of it and well on his way to earning a starting spot.

Any QB who can't take a joke lacks the maturity and mental toughness to be a DI QB period. Everyone with any intelligence knows Deuce left because he got passed over and the joke was just an excuse so he didn't have to own up to being passed over. Odds are Deuce will not be playing for an FCS school next year.

As for Ferentz quote on Labas, he basically said he doesn't know the full playbook yet but has great improvisational skills. And he alluded that before he can hand Labas the keys, Labas needs to know more of the playbook which makes all the sense in the world. Labas likely knows he needs to learn the playbook and one would hope he is mature enough to handle the coach saying so publicly.

You don't want to throw in a guy into the fire who only has 10-15 plays down pat. A starting QB needs to know most of if not the entire playbook and be able to audible into a play to attack a defense. At the very least he has to know enough plays to be able to read the signals from the sideline. You can have all the elusiveness in the world, but if you're not certain how the play will develop there's bound to be hesitation which leads to negative plays and turnovers. By the end of spring, I expect Labas will be in the thick of it and well on his way to earning a starting spot.
Many of the OP’s statements are valid. Iowa’s Offense is in the Dark Ages and it’s not the players fault. BIG and National Rankings over a 10 year period tells the whole story. What will the excuses be for the offense next year?

Many of the OP’s statements are valid. Iowa’s Offense is in the Dark Ages and it’s not the players fault. BIG and National Rankings over a 10 year period tells the whole story. What will the excuses be for the offense next year?
The excuse will be “We’re breaking in a new Center.”

“If Linderbaum would’ve stayed…..”

Hardly a surprise. Kirk wants a guy who follows orders. Going off script or ad libbing is frowned on.
And why not? Isn't the Iowa O just awesome as is? Why do you want a QB trying to make something happen when you can just keep running to the short side on first down and punt for position after running patterns 2 yards short of the sticks on 3rd and long.

neighbors kid drives cambus and is roommates with a girl who grew up with a kid who’s mom is a hairstylist, who’s client’s neighbor goes to church with someone who is friends with someone who’s niece works in the town Labas is from, seemed to indicate these comments may make Labas consider entering the portal.

Take it for what it’s worth…

I remember the good ole days when I used to get roasted on this board when suggesting KF stop picking pre ned majors to run the offense...

Are the people supposed to only praise and admire, whilst sweeping the glaring (century long) imperfections under the rug?
Nope. Not at all. I'm all for constructive criticism and debates. It's just mostly the same people that say the same things in the threads all the time about the offense. No matter the topic the offense gets brought into it and the pretty much the only positive thing that group of people say is the defense bailed out the offense and won the games thus still getting a shot in on the offense still. The offense sucked extra bad this year no doubt and everyone on this board knows it, it doesn't mean every thread needs turned into a bitchfest and taking shots at the team is all. There are alot of knowledgeable posters here and I do appreciate the info and insights I find here.

* * *​

* * *​

Yeah sure , no doubt you are a great evaluator of QB development and play.

I am just stunned that you have appeared to support the OP.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
Considering that OP's only premise was that KF can't choose a QB, I respectfully disagree. The 2nd string QB is always the fan favorite but not always the answer to fixing the offense. Right now there's no immediate fix. The offensive line has to improve period. Once that happens, the coaching staffing can reevaluate the offense as a whole.

I do not think BF is the answer and I'd jump for joy if he decided to move on. He needs to learn to adapt to the reality of where the program is and look for ways to move the ball when the offensive line is unable to get a push. I don't care how the staff gets there, as long as they get there.

I am somewhat optimistic with the RB and WRs and TEs that return. If the line can get any sort of push and hold their blocks for 15 seconds, we have weapons.

What the offense needs more than anything else is more creativity on first and second down. Handing off to a back 5 yards deep ain't gonna cut it when there's no push. But with the OL playing so poorly we could have Peyton Manning or Russell Wilson behind center and the results wouldn't be much better. Especially when the short passes that our QBs did manage to get off were far too often dropped by the receivers.

90% of the issues with the offense fall on the backs of the OL and the other 10% is the play calls. There's no magic play to make the offensive better when the RB/QB get hit the moment they receive the ball which was the reality on about 25% of the snaps this year.

* * *​

* * *​

Spot on. Ferentz couldn't recognize an effective P5 QB if one bit him in the ass.

neighbors kid drives cambus and is roommates with a girl who grew up with a kid who’s mom is a hairstylist, who’s client’s neighbor goes to church with someone who is friends with someone who’s niece works in the town Labas is from, seemed to indicate these comments may make Labas consider entering the portal.

Take it for what it’s worth…
The niece who indicated this may be right.

How do other FBS freshmen qb's start for other teams and excel?
Guess they have smaller playbooks?
We know that's not possible.
So what is it?
It’s, well, it’s…

I mean, uh, our playbook.. It requires…Um, Uh…

The playbook..uh, uhhh, the offense is just so intricate…you can’t tell from on-field production??

lol….well you just kind of nailed it, the general fan doesn’t know crap and it’s way tougher than they understand
What the general Fan can understand is what they see when watching the game.

I love how some of you provide excuses and reasonings etc etc when the only thing that matters is ON-THE-FIELD PRODUCTION.

When you watch Iowa, you see a program that is good on defense and is held back by offense.

How in the hell can you find ways to twist it!?!

Spot on. Ferentz couldn't recognize an effective P5 QB if one bit him in the ass.
Other than making the decision to go with Beathard over Rudock in the Spring of 2015. Or going with Stanzi over Christianson...or giving the keys of the car to Drew Tate as a Soph...or handing the keys to Spencer Petras who won 12 games in a row over two seasons. Choosing Brad Banks worked out really well too.

Other than those guys...you are right.

Because I'm a Packer fan, but I'd take Rodgers 7 days a week and twice on Sundays. Aaron caught his TD record with 200 INTs to spare...
Rodgers set on the bench for three years watching the "gunslinger" entertain folks with interceptions. I will take a "gunslinger" over an Iowa QB that only hands the ball to a TB or stands like a statue throwing to mediocre WR's. There were at least 10 times this year that even Petras could have faked the hand-off and jogged around the edge for 10 yards.

Additionally, being the Packer fan you are, you must admit the trade for Favre was one of the best ever and turned a below average team into a perennial contender.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT