ADVERTISEMENT

KF with more "insight" into what he wants in a QB

What the general Fan can understand is what they see when watching the game.

I love how some of you provide excuses and reasonings etc etc when the only thing that matters is ON-THE-FIELD PRODUCTION.

When you watch Iowa, you see a program that is good on defense and is held back by offense.

How in the hell can you find ways to twist it!?!

Agreed on-Field production is #1 and over the last 6+ years Iowa had been one of the best of the best of the best.

I don’t live in a vacuum like you do. I don’t naturally think if one entity is “changed or fixed“ then the whole becomes better… life doesn’t work that way… However you apparently do think like that.

I believe our offense needs to improve. But I also think there are 130+ other teams that routinely lose games and then their fans get on message boards and whine and bitch and cry because of this coach or that coach.

That’s fine for you…I don’t want to be that fan. Very small thinking.

Pick a team that lost even only one single game this year and I’ll point out to you, that they were on a message board somewhere sometime whining bitching pouting because this “just keeps happening“ or this coach sucks or we are so bad…… Honestly it’s exhausting and makes you look like a bore.

But again like I said I’ve read a lot of your tripe over the last couple years and you indeed are a bore!

How hard is it to learn 6 plays?

Remember when Brad Banks only knew the four?

ftikdg0k7edwszmfhc38.jpg

It’s, well, it’s…

I mean, uh, our playbook.. It requires…Um, Uh…

The playbook..uh, uhhh, the offense is just so intricate…you can’t tell from on-field production??

That and the fact that there really aren’t that many “freshman quarterbacks“ excelling….small minded fans, see a handful that do it and they think “oh well this is just natural”

That and the fact that there really aren’t that many “freshman quarterbacks“ excelling….small minded fans, see a handful that do it and they think “oh well this is just natural”

Who exactly are you quoting here?

Reactions: BBHawk
Iowa got beat. That hasn’t happened since? Or what are you trying to get at

nope you nailed it Brad Banks, who was a terrific quarterback played like his hair was on fire in the first half against Iowa State and then in the second half not so much and we lost… And then versus USC once again didn’t play very good and we lost…shit happens.

What you do is you add up the wins and losses at the end of the year and if you win enough to be considered one of the 10 or 15 best programs in the country then you consider that a good season and here we are?

maybe we are in agreement 🤓

Well if you look a couple post above you you’ll see exactly who I quoted

Nope. Didn’t see anyone say that besides you. I read where someone asked how other teams can start freshmen QBs and they excel. I didn’t see anyone say “this is just natural”.

Maybe you could include that post in your reply?

Reactions: Sett1997
neighbors kid drives cambus and is roommates with a girl who grew up with a kid who’s mom is a hairstylist, who’s client’s neighbor goes to church with someone who is friends with someone who’s niece works in the town Labas is from, seemed to indicate these comments may make Labas consider entering the portal.

Take it for what it’s worth…
The heck with the portal. How's Ferris? I am assuming that the neighbors kid also went to 31 flavors

Reactions: jo12208
I'm equally stunned that you don't see that the OP's post has a lot of truth to it.
Really? So you think Kirk has “no clue about offense in general and the QB position in particular “? That is just a ludicrous statement about the coach of one of the most successful football programs in college football over the past 20+ years

Nope. Didn’t see anyone say that besides you. I read where someone asked how other teams can start freshmen QBs and they excel. I didn’t see anyone say “this is just natural”.

Maybe you could include that post in your reply?

it was hawkinArk Notorious douche bag

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
It’s, well, it’s…

I mean, uh, our playbook.. It requires…Um, Uh…

The playbook..uh, uhhh, the offense is just so intricate…you can’t tell from on-field production??
Excellent summation

Labas has been working on the playbook for a full season now. I would think that he would have most of it down by now. Just run what he has down if he is a step up. With it being 1/1/22, I think it doesn't count for current season. Correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
and yet there’s about 125 other teams in the country that would love to have the program we have….go figure!
Yeah, we should hire Matt Campbell. after all he just went 7-5 with the best team in school history. it may not have always been pretty but the hawks won 10 games. how many programs can say that????

Agreed on-Field production is #1 and over the last 6+ years Iowa had been one of the best of the best of the best.

I don’t live in a vacuum like you do. I don’t naturally think if one entity is “changed or fixed“ then the whole becomes better… life doesn’t work that way… However you apparently do think like that.

I believe our offense needs to improve. But I also think there are 130+ other teams that routinely lose games and then their fans get on message boards and whine and bitch and cry because of this coach or that coach.

That’s fine for you…I don’t want to be that fan. Very small thinking.

Pick a team that lost even only one single game this year and I’ll point out to you, that they were on a message board somewhere sometime whining bitching pouting because this “just keeps happening“ or this coach sucks or we are so bad…… Honestly it’s exhausting and makes you look like a bore.

But again like I said I’ve read a lot of your tripe over the last couple years and you indeed are a bore!
I do think of the offense is fixed the defense gets better. Less time on the field, fewer plays for the other offense, perhaps a bit less pressure, perhaps leads let us play looser.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Really? So you think Kirk has “no clue about offense in general and the QB position in particular “? That is just a ludicrous statement about the coach of one of the most successful football programs in college football over the past 20+ years
Im convinced KF is one of the greatest trolls out there. And some of the "brightest football minds" on the boards fall for it every time.

Reactions: jo12208
From today's article by Chad Leistikow in the Press-Citizen: (see the whole article here: https://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2021/12/26/iowa-football-citrus-bowl-kentucky-hawkeyes-quarterback-spencer-petras-alex-padilla-2022/8987155002/)

* * *​

Ferentz conceded this week that Labas had been among the young players who have flashed during bowl preparation but added that the freshman was “not quite ready to start yet, that’s for sure.”

“If he's going off cards, he's great. If he's running our offense … uhhh, it might be a small playbook,” Ferentz said. “I'm joking. But he's doing a good job.”

Ferentz further cracked of Labas’ improvisational skills off script, “Now we’ve got to get him on script.”

To which I (and probably others) would answer: Maybe that’s been the problem with Iowa’s lack of progress at the QB position overall — a reluctance to go off script. Nate Stanley wasn’t much better as a senior in 2019 than he was as a sophomore. The same can be said about Petras. Perhaps an injection of play-making ability from the pocket is what the Hawkeyes’ stale offense needs to come alive.

* * *​
So once again, out of KF's own mouth, is even more evidence that he has no clue about offense in general or the QB position in particular. This is why he wants the likes of Jake Christensen, Jake Rudock, Nate Stanley, and Spencer Petras instead of Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, or CJ Beathard. This is why Iowa's offense is mired in mediocrity and much worse most of the time. Only when KF is forced to play mobile QBs does the Iowa offense consistently succeed.

And so even after bad-mouthing 4-star Texas QB Deuce Hogan into the transfer portal, KF is still "joking" about a QB he agreed to give a scholarship too, a QB--Labas--who his teammates say makes great athletic plays when he ad-libs, even against the first team defense, but who is lacking in the key skills KF seeks--game management, which means following the script. Period.

When KF keeps saying this BS, I don't know how anyone can fail to see that he always has been the problem with the Iowa offense and, apparently, he's determined to continue in that role, no matter what. Just IMHO, of course.
I’m going to defend coach on this one. I was at a practice recently and I will just politely say Labas struggled and that is being kind.
Lots of people are quick to bury Coach for being to conservative,being too stoic with his answers etc, then when he says something in a joking way or a little off scrip- people are quick to rip on the guy. He never has intentionally buried a player,staff member or anyone involved with Iowa football.Like all of us he will have an occasional slip in his words.

I’m going to defend coach on this one. I was at a practice recently and I will just politely say Labas struggled and that is being kind.
Lots of people are quick to bury Coach for being to conservative,being too stoic with his answers etc, then when he says something in a joking way or a little off scrip- people are quick to rip on the guy. He never has intentionally buried a player,staff member or anyone involved with Iowa football.Like all of us he will have an occasional slip in his words.
Tell us everything of note you saw at practice, or I swear on my grandmother’s grave, I will unleash a cyberattack on you that will NOT be pleasant.

How do other FBS freshmen qb's start for other teams and excel?
Guess they have smaller playbooks?
We know that's not possible.
So what is it?
They read plays from the sidelines and adjustments from the sidelines. That's how.

They read plays from the sidelines and adjustments from the sidelines. That's how.
It would be interesting to read an indepth article on the side line signalling system. It must be an easy key because everyone seems to be on the same page. I wonder if teams scout their opponents signalling system to try to gain an advantage?

None of the good coaches in football ever want their QBs to stay on plan. Ive never heard if such a thing. Bill Walsh never tried to control his QBs. He didnt care about how man steps the took or when they released the ball, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Labas has been working on the playbook for a full season now. I would think that he would have most of it down by now. Just run what he has down if he is a step up. With it being 1/1/22, I think it doesn't count for current season. Correct me if I am wrong.
Consider yourself corrected.

Any QB who can't take a joke lacks the maturity and mental toughness to be a DI QB period. Everyone with any intelligence knows Deuce left because he got passed over and the joke was just an excuse so he didn't have to own up to being passed over. Odds are Deuce will not be playing for an FCS school next year.

As for Ferentz quote on Labas, he basically said he doesn't know the full playbook yet but has great improvisational skills. And he alluded that before he can hand Labas the keys, Labas needs to know more of the playbook which makes all the sense in the world. Labas likely knows he needs to learn the playbook and one would hope he is mature enough to handle the coach saying so publicly.

You don't want to throw in a guy into the fire who only has 10-15 plays down pat. A starting QB needs to know most of if not the entire playbook and be able to audible into a play to attack a defense. At the very least he has to know enough plays to be able to read the signals from the sideline. You can have all the elusiveness in the world, but if you're not certain how the play will develop there's bound to be hesitation which leads to negative plays and turnovers. By the end of spring, I expect Labas will be in the thick of it and well on his way to earning a starting spot.
There is no proof that Deuce ever got passed over. That is not taking a joke from your mentor

Hardly a surprise. Kirk wants a guy who follows orders. Going off script or ad libbing is frowned on.
And why not? Isn't the Iowa O just awesome as is? Why do you want a QB trying to make something happen when you can just keep running to the short side on first down and punt for position after running patterns 2 yards short of the sticks on 3rd and long.
Hey, come on man! Greg Davis isn't the OC anymore. Now we go all the way to 1 yard short of the sticks.

From today's article by Chad Leistikow in the Press-Citizen: (see the whole article here: https://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2021/12/26/iowa-football-citrus-bowl-kentucky-hawkeyes-quarterback-spencer-petras-alex-padilla-2022/8987155002/)

* * *​

Ferentz conceded this week that Labas had been among the young players who have flashed during bowl preparation but added that the freshman was “not quite ready to start yet, that’s for sure.”

“If he's going off cards, he's great. If he's running our offense … uhhh, it might be a small playbook,” Ferentz said. “I'm joking. But he's doing a good job.”

Ferentz further cracked of Labas’ improvisational skills off script, “Now we’ve got to get him on script.”

To which I (and probably others) would answer: Maybe that’s been the problem with Iowa’s lack of progress at the QB position overall — a reluctance to go off script. Nate Stanley wasn’t much better as a senior in 2019 than he was as a sophomore. The same can be said about Petras. Perhaps an injection of play-making ability from the pocket is what the Hawkeyes’ stale offense needs to come alive.

* * *​
So once again, out of KF's own mouth, is even more evidence that he has no clue about offense in general or the QB position in particular. This is why he wants the likes of Jake Christensen, Jake Rudock, Nate Stanley, and Spencer Petras instead of Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, or CJ Beathard. This is why Iowa's offense is mired in mediocrity and much worse most of the time. Only when KF is forced to play mobile QBs does the Iowa offense consistently succeed.

And so even after bad-mouthing 4-star Texas QB Deuce Hogan into the transfer portal, KF is still "joking" about a QB he agreed to give a scholarship too, a QB--Labas--who his teammates say makes great athletic plays when he ad-libs, even against the first team defense, but who is lacking in the key skills KF seeks--game management, which means following the script. Period.

When KF keeps saying this BS, I don't know how anyone can fail to see that he always has been the problem with the Iowa offense and, apparently, he's determined to continue in that role, no matter what. Just IMHO, of course.

I'm looking at the whole thing as a shot at Hogan. Basically, look, I'm joking about a young guy and he isn't going to cry to his mama.

Labas knows what he is and the coaches love him. He doesn't make up nicknames and pretend that the players call him Montana.

Reactions: Frosty7130
Any QB who can't take a joke lacks the maturity and mental toughness to be a DI QB period. Everyone with any intelligence knows Deuce left because he got passed over and the joke was just an excuse so he didn't have to own up to being passed over. Odds are Deuce will not be playing for an FCS school next year.

As for Ferentz quote on Labas, he basically said he doesn't know the full playbook yet but has great improvisational skills. And he alluded that before he can hand Labas the keys, Labas needs to know more of the playbook which makes all the sense in the world. Labas likely knows he needs to learn the playbook and one would hope he is mature enough to handle the coach saying so publicly.

You don't want to throw in a guy into the fire who only has 10-15 plays down pat. A starting QB needs to know most of if not the entire playbook and be able to audible into a play to attack a defense. At the very least he has to know enough plays to be able to read the signals from the sideline. You can have all the elusiveness in the world, but if you're not certain how the play will develop there's bound to be hesitation which leads to negative plays and turnovers. By the end of spring, I expect Labas will be in the thick of it and well on his way to earning a starting spot.
The comment about Deuce was from a coach who doesn't typically make disparaging comments about specific players, so I can see why he'd take offense. Also, if the situation was reversed and a player made a comment stating he'd rather not travel with Kirk as the head coach, do you think that'd be taken well by Kirk? I sincerely doubt it, even if it was apologized for later.

• Wow
Reactions: 01135965
And yet Brad banks & Drew Tate, every Hawkeye fans fave never made the NFL and Stanley, Beathard and Ruddock did….interesting if you think about it.

Just goes to show you, it’s waaaayyyy to tough a job for the message board critic 🤓
Who gives a shit about our QB having a career in the NFL? The NFL and CFB are two very different games. I'll take a national championship caliber college QB who does nothing in the NFL, all day long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT