ADVERTISEMENT

KF with more "insight" into what he wants in a QB

Who gives a shit about our QB having a career in the NFL? The NFL and CFB are two very different games. I'll take a national championship caliber college QB who does nothing in the NFL, all day long.
Isn't Beathard the only Iowa qb in the entire KF tenure who has taken meaningful snaps in an NFL game? 22 seasons of Kirk having opportunities for his NFL prototype guy to lead his team and the one player who actually did something at the qb spot in the league is a guy who did not fit his mold.
Nate Stanley is probably the KF archetype at qb. A player who became a good but not great college qb and maybe the 4th best B1G qb during his tenure snags a practice squad spot and was never really a threat to make a regular roster.
I'm not sure having a so-called NFL style qb in the mold of a relatively more stationary drop back passer isn't necessarily a ticket to success in college or even in the league.
As far as at the college level goes, it seems more likely that a player can be found who is an OK passer and a decent runner. I'd be looking for that and shaping the offense around him. And I don't care how often he has to look at the sidelines between plays.

Reactions: unclesammy
Who gives a shit about our QB having a career in the NFL? The NFL and CFB are two very different games. I'll take a national championship caliber college QB who does nothing in the NFL, all day long.

lol…. Well as it turns out that wasn’t Brad Banks or Drew Tate because they both lost games anything else?!

Many of the OP’s statements are valid. Iowa’s Offense is in the Dark Ages and it’s not the players fault. BIG and National Rankings over a 10 year period tells the whole story. What will the excuses be for the offense next year?
You mean like Drew Tate as one of the players that got passed over when he started three years at Iowa? Right.......... o_O

And yet Brad banks & Drew Tate, every Hawkeye fans fave never made the NFL and Stanley, Beathard and Ruddock did….interesting if you think about it.

Just goes to show you, it’s waaaayyyy to tough a job for the message board critic 🤓
Except it doesn't matter if they did or did not make it in the NFL. What matters to the University of Iowa is how they play while at Iowa. KF's next sole BIG championship will be his first as will his next Rose Bowl win.

Banks will forever go down as one of my favorite QBs, but damn Beathard's junior campaign may be that much more impressive based on what he had around him. Kittle was there, but nothing great about RB or WR depth. The line was decent, but probably not even in the same atmosphere as Bank's.

nope you nailed it Brad Banks, who was a terrific quarterback played like his hair was on fire in the first half against Iowa State and then in the second half not so much and we lost… And then versus USC once again didn’t play very good and we lost…shit happens.

What you do is you add up the wins and losses at the end of the year and if you win enough to be considered one of the 10 or 15 best programs in the country then you consider that a good season and here we are?

maybe we are in agreement 🤓
The issue with Banks against ISU was he injured his hand in the first half. Its on HIM and KF that he played in the second half AT ALL. If I remember Iowa had a 21 point lead in that game, and it was several Banks fumbles ( because he couldn't hold on to the ball), which led to short field scores for the Clones that allowed them to come back and win that game. We should have just let Chandler come in and hand the ball off, and we win that game easily, but I'm sure Banks told KF he was good to go. We win that game , and go 12-0 and probably play for the title in 2002. Just like CJ shouldn't have played in the 2nd half against Florida. That was a one score game, and we end up getting blown out.

Reactions: cmhawks99
The comment about Deuce was from a coach who doesn't typically make disparaging comments about specific players, so I can see why he'd take offense. Also, if the situation was reversed and a player made a comment stating he'd rather not travel with Kirk as the head coach, do you think that'd be taken well by Kirk? I sincerely doubt it, even if it was apologized for later.
Except KF hasn't been passed by anyone. As Gabe pointed out, all the talk at this point is not only was Duece not passing Either SP or AP, but he may very well have been passed by Labas, and there's a lot of excitement about May already. It seems likely he was looking for an excuse to jump ship, and KF's untimely comment gave him a cover for him and mom to save face.

You're either arguing with yourself, or you didn't include punctuation. I have no idea what you're saying here.

I always Marvel at some peoples inability to grasp what was said when 90% of everybody else did… The point is you gave me a “haughty” who gives a shit…

I went on to point out the two of Iowa’s best quarterbacks that didn’t get drafted also lost games in college that they maybe shouldn’t have lost, who knows?

Except it doesn't matter if they did or did not make it in the NFL. What matters to the University of Iowa is how they play while at Iowa. KF's next sole BIG championship will be his first as will his next Rose Bowl win.

Let’s go with that. Did they lose any games while they were in Iowa?

Banks will forever go down as one of my favorite QBs, but damn Beathard's junior campaign may be that much more impressive based on what he had around him. Kittle was there, but nothing great about RB or WR depth. The line was decent, but probably not even in the same atmosphere as Bank's.
No, CJ Beathard's junior year at Iowa was not more impressive than Brad Banks' 2002 senior year.

Amazing how some of you people here come up with the stuff you do.

Reactions: littlez

Quick answer me a question how many power five teams have won conference championships in the last 10 years?

I don’t know the answer, nor do I care to look it up. But I’ve watched enough football to know it’s a damn small number. So with your information in tow and what the University of Iowa is concerned with… I’d say they’re pretty damn happy with the results over the last seven years. I’d also say they’re pretty damn happy being considered an NFL pipeline… Just saying!

No, CJ Beathard's junior year at Iowa was not more impressive than Brad Banks' 2002 senior year.

Amazing how some of you people here come up with the stuff you do
Tell us you comment out of your ass without checking stats.

Beathard: 2809 yards passing, 237 yards rushing, 17 TDs, 5 INTs, 61.6% completion

Banks: 2573 yards passing, 423 yards rushing, 26 TDs, 5 INTS, 57.8% completion

None of this is to mention that in the 2016 draft, only Austin Blythe went in the 7th round. Look at the 2003 draft, Steinbeck and Nelson both went in the 2nd round with Sobieski going in the 5th round.

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze

Meh, That’s hard to say definitively. I mean let’s be honest the Big Ten was poor enough in 2002, they somehow managed to get two teams through the conference undefeated….

For all intents and purposes I do agree with you but honestly in 2015 we played four teams with 10 to 12 wins & 2002 we played just that 2.

I always Marvel at some peoples inability to grasp what was said when 90% of everybody else did… The point is you gave me a “haughty” who gives a shit…

I went on to point out the two of Iowa’s best quarterbacks that didn’t get drafted also lost games in college that they maybe shouldn’t have lost, who knows?
My comprehension isn't the issue here. The issue is your inability to utilize punctuation and perhaps realize what I was stating.

You can point out anything you like about an Iowa QB not being drafted. You can also point out the same QB lost games they shouldn't have. My comment to you was regarding your inference that somehow the QBs you mentioned who spent time in the NFL were somehow superior to Banks and Tate. Many national championship caliber QBs don't have solid NFL careers, which is why I said I don't give a shit what they do after they leave Iowa. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize, but I feel confident that was the gist of what you were saying.

My comprehension isn't the issue here. The issue is your inability to utilize punctuation and perhaps realize what I was stating.

You can point out anything you like about an Iowa QB not being drafted. You can also point out the same QB lost games they shouldn't have. My comment to you was regarding your inference that somehow the QBs you mentioned who spent time in the NFL were somehow superior to Banks and Tate. Many national championship caliber QBs don't have solid NFL careers, which is why I said I don't give a shit what they do after they leave Iowa. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize, but I feel confident that was the gist of what you were saying.

There is no way for me to care any less about my onboard Personna or my “punctuation“ than I already do…

Hell… I don’t think I’ve posted in three maybe four years and that’s because I got tired of the morons… But the reality is after reading this board for the last year, my Lord everybody’s gotten worse. Shit you can’t get in a thread without somebody taking a poke at the coaches or the team, it’s exhausting.

If you’re not one of those then I apologize and if you are then I could give a shit what you think. Quite frankly love using the NFL thing because I know several of you cats get way up in arms over it and it’s an easy come back to bring you back down to earth.

The reality is, it is important to be known for putting players in the NFL & all those awesome quarterbacks that are winning national championships are pretty much playing for Ohio State Alabama and Clemson right now… Go figure.

Buuuuuttttt if you could play in the NFL then you could play in college. I just think it’s awesome when people bring up players like Brad Banks or Drew Tate and then I can come back around and point out how they too lost several games in college.

People generally are very tunnel visioned, they can’t see left, they can’t see right, they can’t see up & they can’t see down….they can only see what’s right in front of them and they refuse to compare to a broader spectrum. There in lies my rub I am able to compare.

I’d actually like to know the last college quarterback that won a national championship that didn’t get drafted? I’d wager it’s been a while.

Just saying….😊

Last edited:
Tell us you comment out of your ass without checking stats.

Beathard: 2809 yards passing, 237 yards rushing, 17 TDs, 5 INTs, 61.6% completion

Banks: 2573 yards passing, 423 yards rushing, 26 TDs, 5 INTS, 57.8% completion
You're a freaking idiot. Question: How old were you in 2002?

ok boomer!!
Thanks for giving me the answer chump. Before you come on here and post some stupid comment just to get attention, have a sense of understanding of what you are talking about. The more people like yourself allowed on these boards the lower the overall board IQ goes down.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Thanks for giving me the answer chump. Before you come on here and post some stupid comment just to get attention, have a sense of understanding of what you are talking about. The more people like yourself allowed on these boards the lower the overall board IQ goes down.
I think Mrs Troll is calling for you back under the bridge....Keep up the clowning though. Do you think someone with the name squeezebox is honestly young?

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze
I think Mrs Troll is calling for you back under the bridge....Keep up the clowning though. Do you think someone with the name squeezebox is honestly young?
You've proven someone with the name of sqeezebox is honestly dumb.

There is no proof that Deuce ever got passed over. That is not taking a joke from your mentor
There was talk of him transferring as early as October. Confirmed by Jon Miller through sources within the program. He had been passed over. The joke was just an excuse for his ego. I'll bet $$$ he won't be playing FBS football in '22. Sometimes the tape does not reflect the talent. From the playing time he did get, he showed major mechanical issues in his throwing motion. He'll find an FCS school or DII program where he can put his running skills to use. It's not a huge loss.

Banks himself has admitted he was not ready his first year. McCAnn was a decent QB who led Iowa to its first winning season under KF including a bowl win. McCann has a completion percentage of 66% his senior year and that was without some of the weapons Banks had in 2002.

People only see Banks in light of his '02 success and not his play in '01. Do you not remember the Michigan game where McCann did very well, and Banks ran out of bounds twice on 3rd down short of the sticks when he had room to run for the 1st down? He needed the awareness of that year behind McCann and the reps he got as a backup.

Tate started three years and played behind Nathan Chandler who was a very good QB in his own right. Chandler had the experience and Tate was a freshman. I can hardly fault KF for playing Nathan Chandler who had a pretty good season.

Reactions: kceasthawk
And yet Brad banks & Drew Tate, every Hawkeye fans fave never made the NFL and Stanley, Beathard and Ruddock did….interesting if you think about it.

Just goes to show you, it’s waaaayyyy to tough a job for the message board critic 🤓
Lol...yes give me Stanley/Rudock over Banks/Tate. Wow that's a good one!

Reactions: Quintana
Lol...yes give me Stanley/Rudock over Banks/Tate. Wow that's a good one!

lol.. Was it a good one…,? Go back and tell me how you would look at those losses from those 2 QBS framed in todays perspective?!

See that’s the point it’s a lot let less funny now..

hahahaha…. We sucked back then & we didn’t expect as much…now we expect more and oh by the way now we win more and we’re pissed off …now that is funny lol

So once again, out of KF's own mouth, is even more evidence that he has no clue about offense in general or the QB position in particular. This is why he wants the likes of Jake Christensen, Jake Rudock, Nate Stanley, and Spencer Petras instead of Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, or CJ Beathard. This is why Iowa's offense is mired in mediocrity and much worse most of the time. Only when KF is forced to play mobile QBs does the Iowa offense consistently succeed.
This is one of the silliest things ever written on this board.

Start with this problem: KF knows, and to which he had to be sensitive in his early Iowa years, if you don't win you get fired/involuntarily retired. So, the premise that KF prefers the inferior QB is literally preposterous. People were calling for Kirk's head after the first two seasons and you think he played a guy he "liked" rather than the player that would win and allow Kirk to get a 4th season. Only the lunatic fringe thought BB was ready for full time play his first year at Iowa. BB was not ready to start that season.

How long are you guys going to tell the distortion about Jake Christensen? You either don't know the facts or you do know the facts and are intentionally presenting them in a false light. Beathard won the QB competition over the other future NFL upperclassman and so it appears KF preferred Beathard? Particularly since both players forced KF's choice and he actually specifically chose Beathard.

If what you are saying was in the ballpark with reality how do you explain recruiting BB, Drew and CJ? Coaches don't recruit QBs whose games the coaches don't like.

As for Petras, while at least a kind of rational argument can be made for Alex having, during brief periods of play, looked to have a higher ceiling, in the end that has not been realized. Alex throws a lot of ugly balls and won't run when he clearly has the green light to do so. It's not a good result either way-hence the mention of Labas at all.
When KF is not losing 42-3 or whatever that score was in Indy, then posters will lighten up on the crticism.
Is that when you started posting the ass ripping attacks on all things Iowa Hawkeyes?

Last edited:
This is one of the silliest things ever written on this board.

Start with this problem: KF knows, and to which he had to be sensitive in his early Iowa years, if you don't win you get fired/involuntarily retired. So, the premise that KF prefers the inferior QB is literally preposterous. People were calling for Kirk's head after the first two seasons and you think he played a guy he "liked" rather than the player that would win and allow Kirk to get a 4th season. Only the lunatic fringe thought BB was ready for full time play his first year at Iowa. BB was not ready to start that season.

How long are you guys going to tell the distortion about Jake Christensen? You either don't know the facts or you do the facts and are intentionally distorting the facts. Beathard won the QB competition over the other future NFL upperclassman and so it appears KF preferred Beathard? Particularly since both players forced KF's choice and he actually specifically chose Beathard.

If what you are saying was in the ballpark with reality how do you explain recruiting BB, Drew and CJ? Coaches don't recruit QBs whose games the coaches don't like.

As for Petras, while at least a kind of rational argument can be made for Alex having, during brief periods of play, looked to have a higher ceiling, in the end that has not been realized. Alex throws a lot of ugly balls and won't run when he clearly has the green light to do so. It's not a good result either way-hence the mention of Labas at all.

Is that when you started posting the ass ripping attacks on all things Iowa Hawkeyes?

Very, very well said!!! These jackwagons are awesome with revisionist history!

lol.. Was it a good one…,? Go back and tell me how you would look at those losses from those 2 QBS framed in todays perspective?!

See that’s the point it’s a lot let less funny now..

hahahaha…. We sucked back then & we didn’t expect as much…now we expect more and oh by the way now we win more and we’re pissed off …now that is funny lol
No clue what you're talking about, but tell me more about how you'd rather have Jake Rudock over Banks and Tate!

I like KF, a ton. He's been an amazing leader fir our program. But the OP does make some good points.
You think Mahomes was always on script when he took the NFL by storm? You Bert Favre was always on script?
Those guys were allowed to go win and do whatever it takes to keep the offense on the field.
I get it. We trust the security of the play...everybody do their part and execute and the plays should work. But that doesn't happen enough, and sometimes you just gotta let the peacock fly!
Slight difference between all pro quarterbacks and a college freshman when you are looking at letting them improvise and do their own thing.

Quick answer me a question how many power five teams have won conference championships in the last 10 years?

I don’t know the answer, nor do I care to look it up. But I’ve watched enough football to know it’s a damn small number.

21 different Power 5 schools have won a championship in the last 10 seasons. There are currently 64 P5 schools. That would be roughly a third of the teams in a P5 conference have a conference championship.

I wouldn’t argue that is a “damn small” number.

ADVERTISEMENT