ADVERTISEMENT

KF with more "insight" into what he wants in a QB

Labas has been working on the playbook for a full season now. I would think that he would have most of it down by now. Just run what he has down if he is a step up. With it being 1/1/22, I think it doesn't count for current season. Correct me if I am wrong.

Consider yourself corrected.
Which part and explain. I didn't see anyone address my comment.

21 different Power 5 schools have won a championship in the last 10 seasons. There are currently 64 P5 schools. That would be roughly a third of the teams in a P5 conference have a conference championship.

I wouldn’t argue that is a “damn small” number.
and the majority are getting 4 and 5 star recruits. we can go over why that will never be the case here but pretty sure that’s not necessary.

This is one of the silliest things ever written on this board.

Start with this problem: KF knows, and to which he had to be sensitive in his early Iowa years, if you don't win you get fired/involuntarily retired. So, the premise that KF prefers the inferior QB is literally preposterous. People were calling for Kirk's head after the first two seasons and you think he played a guy he "liked" rather than the player that would win and allow Kirk to get a 4th season. Only the lunatic fringe thought BB was ready for full time play his first year at Iowa. BB was not ready to start that season.

How long are you guys going to tell the distortion about Jake Christensen? You either don't know the facts or you do know the facts and are intentionally presenting them in a false light. Beathard won the QB competition over the other future NFL upperclassman and so it appears KF preferred Beathard? Particularly since both players forced KF's choice and he actually specifically chose Beathard.

If what you are saying was in the ballpark with reality how do you explain recruiting BB, Drew and CJ? Coaches don't recruit QBs whose games the coaches don't like.

As for Petras, while at least a kind of rational argument can be made for Alex having, during brief periods of play, looked to have a higher ceiling, in the end that has not been realized. Alex throws a lot of ugly balls and won't run when he clearly has the green light to do so. It's not a good result either way-hence the mention of Labas at all.

Is that when you started posting the ass ripping attacks on all things Iowa Hawkeyes?

No , I poiinte out the obvious. Getting blown out brings out complaints. If a guy is getting paid $4 million he should be able to take it and you probably should spend less time writing a thesis.

Which part and explain. I didn't see anyone address my comment.
ok, since you seem to not understand that simply knowing the play book is not enough. QB must know everyone’s positioning and responsibilities plus he must then read the defense, adjust correctly and get the other ten players into the right play. therefore, Kirk’s comment about the “play cards” at practice.

• Haha
Reactions: InsaneHawk
Again, it’s VERY clear at Iowa that defense rules and offense struggles.

NOBODY HATES KF, nor do people think we should be unstoppable like those few programs getting two dozen 4/5* recruits every year.

Nobody hates that we got to 10 wins. No one.

But again, all pressure was put on the defense and again, the defense won us our games.

Some fans just want to see a decently entertaining and productive offense FFS.

And before you feel the need to remind me, yes god damnit, I remember that we put 55 points on Ohio State back in 2017. I got it.

ok, since you seem to not understand that simply knowing the play book is not enough. QB must know everyone’s positioning and responsibilities plus he must then read the defense, adjust correctly and get the other ten players into the right play. therefore, Kirk’s comment about the “play cards” at practice.
When you settle on a play call, there is no adjusting. The players know their responsibility. You just run the play as you worked and learned it. If the defense takes it away, you improvise by instinct by scrambling, running, or spotting an open receiver down field. It isn't rocket science.

If the number of schools was 42 instead of 21, you’d still have responded with the above.
yes, I would have, Inference being that we do a heck of a lot more with less. more importantly it’s much easier to construct a defense without top rated skilled players than it is an offense. so how do you continually win 8-9-10 games? you do it with what you have.

When you settle on a play call, there is no adjusting. The players know their responsibility. You just run the play as you worked and learned it. If the defense takes it away, you improvise by instinct by scrambling, running, or spotting an open receiver down field. It isn't rocket science.
you are either joking or have virtually no concept of how an offense is run. example: read bliz— you need to check out of the play called, do you keep your back in, do wide receivers cut off their routes? strong saftey playing run, what do you check off to in order to get your tight end down the seam. do you want a freshman making the checks if he has only limited options?

Banks himself has admitted he was not ready his first year. McCAnn was a decent QB who led Iowa to its first winning season under KF including a bowl win. McCann has a completion percentage of 66% his senior year and that was without some of the weapons Banks had in 2002.

People only see Banks in light of his '02 success and not his play in '01. Do you not remember the Michigan game where McCann did very well, and Banks ran out of bounds twice on 3rd down short of the sticks when he had room to run for the 1st down? He needed the awareness of that year behind McCann and the reps he got as a backup.

Tate started three years and played behind Nathan Chandler who was a very good QB in his own right. Chandler had the experience and Tate was a freshman. I can hardly fault KF for playing Nathan Chandler who had a pretty good season.
What is your argument with my point? You quoted my comment, but responded to nothing in my statement.

There is no way for me to care any less about my onboard Personna or my “punctuation“ than I already do…

Hell… I don’t think I’ve posted in three maybe four years and that’s because I got tired of the morons… But the reality is after reading this board for the last year, my Lord everybody’s gotten worse. Shit you can’t get in a thread without somebody taking a poke at the coaches or the team, it’s exhausting.

If you’re not one of those then I apologize and if you are then I could give a shit what you think. Quite frankly love using the NFL thing because I know several of you cats get way up in arms over it and it’s an easy come back to bring you back down to earth.

The reality is, it is important to be known for putting players in the NFL & all those awesome quarterbacks that are winning national championships are pretty much playing for Ohio State Alabama and Clemson right now… Go figure.

Buuuuuttttt if you could play in the NFL then you could play in college. I just think it’s awesome when people bring up players like Brad Banks or Drew Tate and then I can come back around and point out how they too lost several games in college.

People generally are very tunnel visioned, they can’t see left, they can’t see right, they can’t see up & they can’t see down….they can only see what’s right in front of them and they refuse to compare to a broader spectrum. There in lies my rub I am able to compare.

I’d actually like to know the last college quarterback that won a national championship that didn’t get drafted? I’d wager it’s been a while.

Just saying….😊
I pointed out your lack of punctuation as the reason your message was incomprehensible. I wasn't hoping for a miraculous change in your writing ability.

If you're one of the fans who only looks at the positive aspects of the program, I can appreciate that. Myself and many others see the glaring deficiencies holding the program back from taking another step forward, which leads to many posts regarding the abysmal offensive output. There are games and even a year or two where the offense is extremely efficient, but they are the exception, not the rule. The defense playing well has been the rule for a very long time, with few exceptions, which is why some fans want to see more offensive output. It leaves many wondering how much more success the program would have if the offense was at least average.

I'm "one of those" who understands the aggravation of fans with Kirk. Frankly, he didn't do himself any favors by giving Brian the OC position.

The NFL thing doesn't get me "up in arms" because when it comes to QBs, there isn't a school known for consistently producing NFL starters. I agree it's important to be known for putting kids in the NFL, but in my opinion, has more impact at other positions, due to my previous statement. Even though Iowa has done extremely well at producing NFL talent at OL, TE and DB, Iowa doesn't successfully recruit 5 stars at those positions, consistently. Obviously, there are other important factors such as winning conference championships and potential national titles. Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson don't consistently produce NFL starting QBs, though most do get drafted. Being drafted only carries so much weight, in my opinion. Having a successful NFL career goes much further.

I still don't understand your argument regarding Banks and Tate. You seem to be hung up on them. Yes, they lost games in college, as does virtually every QB in the history of football. Yes, they were good college QBs who didn't play in the NFL. What is your point?

I doubt there has ever been a national title winning QB who wasn't drafted, unless they suffered a career-ending injury. My statement was in regards to a successful NFL career, which several national title winning QBs have not had. I'd happily take a collegiate JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, AJ McCarron, Tim Tebow, Matt Flynn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Josh Heupel, Chris Weinke, or Tee Martin. All won national titles and didn't do much in the NFL. I fully expect you to shit on a couple of those, but my point is made.....just saying.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I pointed out your lack of punctuation as the reason your message was incomprehensible. I wasn't hoping for a miraculous change in your writing ability.

If you're one of the fans who only looks at the positive aspects of the program, I can appreciate that. Myself and many others see the glaring deficiencies holding the program back from taking another step forward, which leads to many posts regarding the abysmal offensive output. There are games and even a year or two where the offense is extremely efficient, but they are the exception, not the rule. The defense playing well has been the rule for a very long time, with few exceptions, which is why some fans want to see more offensive output. It leaves many wondering how much more success the program would have if the offense was at least average.

I'm "one of those" who understands the aggravation of fans with Kirk. Frankly, he didn't do himself any favors by giving Brian the OC position.

The NFL thing doesn't get me "up in arms" because when it comes to QBs, there isn't a school known for consistently producing NFL starters. I agree it's important to be known for putting kids in the NFL, but in my opinion, has more impact at other positions, due to my previous statement. Even though Iowa has done extremely well at producing NFL talent at OL, TE and DB, Iowa doesn't successfully recruit 5 stars at those positions, consistently. Obviously, there are other important factors such as winning conference championships and potential national titles. Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson don't consistently produce NFL starting QBs, though most do get drafted. Being drafted only carries so much weight, in my opinion. Having a successful NFL career goes much further.

I still don't understand your argument regarding Banks and Tate. You seem to be hung up on them. Yes, they lost games in college, as does virtually every QB in the history of football. Yes, they were good college QBs who didn't play in the NFL. What is your point?

I doubt there has ever been a national title winning QB who wasn't drafted, unless they suffered a career-ending injury. My statement was in regards to a successful NFL career, which several national title winning QBs have not had. I'd happily take a collegiate JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, AJ McCarron, Tim Tebow, Matt Flynn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Josh Heupel, Chris Weinke, or Tee Martin. All won national titles and didn't do much in the NFL. I fully expect you to shit on a couple of those, but my point is made.....just saying.
Jake Coker wasn’t drafted after winning a national championship.

Reactions: sellarsd
you are either joking or have virtually no concept of how an offense is run. example: read bliz— you need to check out of the play called, do you keep your back in, do wide receivers cut off their routes? strong saftey playing run, what do you check off to in order to get your tight end down the seam. do you want a freshman making the checks if he has only limited options?
"When you settle on a play call" - do you know what this means? By your answer, apparently not.

yes, I would have, Inference being that we do a heck of a lot more with less. more importantly it’s much easier to construct a defense without top rated skilled players than it is an offense. so how do you continually win 8-9-10 games? you do it with what you have.
All I’m reading here are excuses. Why must we always have an excuse??

Nobody is expecting our staff to construct a “top-rated” offense BUT these are the players brought in by the coaches to BE our offense.

Obviously we aren’t trotting Jerry Jeudy, Najee Harris, Tua Tagovailoa, and the entire Alabama OL out on the field in the black and gold…

…but maybe, just maybe we’d NOT trot out a terrible OL AND a terrible quarterback combined with well-below average play-calling?? Just a thought. The players on the field are the players our staff went out of their way to recruit. They’ve been royally f**ing up QB recruiting lately.

Good God, how do we NOT bring in a QB from the portal.

**And Offensively…we are NOT doing a heck of a lot more with less - It is quite the opposite.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
"When you settle on a play call" - do you know what this means? By your answer, apparently not.
ok, one last time for those who still don’t know that the quarterback can and does often check off after getting the original play from the sidelines. let me help you understand. play comes in expecting one defensive formation, however, that changes. the quarterback then has the opportunity to change the offensive play that was originally called…that is on him to read the defense and switch to a play that will work “better”. that should not be too hard to understand.

ok, one last time for those who still don’t know that the quarterback can and does often check off after getting the original play from the sidelines. let me help you understand. play comes in expecting one defensive formation, however, that changes. the quarterback then has the opportunity to change the offensive play that was originally called…that is on him to read the defense and switch to a play that will work “better”. that should not be too hard to understand.
No kidding. It is not rocket science. You simply announce a switched play and execute it. If the defense shuts down the play, you improvise by instinct and experience. Labas has had plenty of time to have learned a nice arsenal of plays by now. He doesn't have to know absolutely every single play in the book. You don't have to be Einstein to be a great QB. Terry Bradshaw is as dumb as dirt, yet, did extremely well.

All I’m reading here are excuses. Why must we always have an excuse??

Nobody is expecting our staff to construct a “top-rated” offense BUT these are the players brought in by the coaches to BE our offense.

Obviously we aren’t trotting Jerry Jeudy, Najee Harris, Tua Tagovailoa, and the entire Alabama OL out on the field in the black and gold…

…but maybe, just maybe we’d NOT trot out a terrible OL AND a terrible quarterback combined with well-below average play-calling?? Just a thought. The players on the field are the players our staff went out of their way to recruit. They’ve been royally f**ing up QB recruiting lately.

Good God, how do we NOT bring in a QB from the portal.

**And Offensively…we are NOT doing a heck of a lot more with less - It is quite the opposite.
you quoted my post as only excuses when everything in my post is a fact. your prerogative to believe what you like. however, facts are still facts so if you don’t like my post just dispute the facts. another opinion but just that, not a fact….not many like the play calling.

No kidding. It is not rocket science. You simply announce a switched play and execute it. If the defense shuts down the play, you improvise by instinct and experience. Labas has had plenty of time to have learned a nice arsenal of plays by now. He doesn't have to know absolutely every single play in the book. You don't have to be Einstein to be a great QB. Terry Bradshaw is as dumb as dirt, yet, did extremely well.
one last time! it’s called experience, it’s watching hours of game film, it’s not just knowing a “nice” amount of plays, it’s knowing ”which” play to check into, it’s often communicating and being on the same page as your skill players. It’s a heck of a lot more than improvising which seems to be your main point.

Improvising is not advisable under Kirk.

Stay the course! Stay on script! Even if that means throwing out of bounds on 3rd downs b/c hey, it’s safer.

Reactions: Ronman
I guess I do not understand what makes our offense so much more difficult to understand and execute than other college offenses. (from a QB perspective). I am not lobbying for or against everyone but when I hear we have a complex offense to understand I would love to hear from others what makes it MORE complex than other college offenses. Somebody said it on here earlier, so many times as a fan, you have a pretty good feel what is coming next in our offense and I am just a goof watching on TV or in the stands.

I guess I do not understand what makes our offense so much more difficult to understand and execute than other college offenses. (from a QB perspective). I am not lobbying for or against everyone but when I hear we have a complex offense to understand I would love to hear from others what makes it MORE complex than other college offenses. Somebody said it on here earlier, so many times as a fan, you have a pretty good feel what is coming next in our offense and I am just a goof watching on TV or in the stands.
When opposing defensive players say post-game they pretty much knew what direction Iowa’s play was headed, it’s a problem.

Rodgers set on the bench for three years watching the "gunslinger" entertain folks with interceptions. I will take a "gunslinger" over an Iowa QB that only hands the ball to a TB or stands like a statue throwing to mediocre WR's. There were at least 10 times this year that even Petras could have faked the hand-off and jogged around the edge for 10 yards.

Additionally, being the Packer fan you are, you must admit the trade for Favre was one of the best ever and turned a below average team into a perennial contender.
You are correct! Ron Wolf pulled it off and set up the Packers for a long time and then a BUNCH of teams did us a favor and passed on Rodgers in the draft.
For entertainment value Favre was incredible. Loved how he would get in the face of D-lineman when he was hit. Just a big ol country boy with a huge heart and a huge arm.
Rodgers is a tactician and very cerebral player. I love what they both brought to the Packers. "What's next" is what concerns me most as a Packer fan but hell, it's been a great almost 30 year run for sure.

There's no better evidence of how big IOWA football is, than the continuous onslaught of trolls on this site. What's amusing is how unaware they are, that they are proving that very thing with their constant blather.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
There's no better evidence of how big IOWA football is, than the continuous onslaught of trolls on this site. What's amusing is how unaware they are, that they are proving that very thing with their constant blather.
You must be very knowledgeable. Please brag on your experience and expertise. :cool:

Reactions: not_mantiteo
stating facts has nothing to do with anything but “stating facts”
You come on as MR Knowledgeable and everyone else is a dimwit. Many people have stated facts. For some reason, only your "facts" come from someone that knows what he is talking about. Brag on your experience and expertise. We are waiting.

You come on as MR Knowledgeable and everyone else is a dimwit. Many people have stated facts. For some reason, only your "facts" come from someone that knows what he is talking about. Brag on your experience and expertise. We are waiting.
ok. last thought, not a fact. do people really think that Kirk would not play the quarterback that gave the team the best chance of winning?

ADVERTISEMENT