ADVERTISEMENT

KF with more "insight" into what he wants in a QB

I guess I do not understand what makes our offense so much more difficult to understand and execute than other college offenses. (from a QB perspective). I am not lobbying for or against everyone but when I hear we have a complex offense to understand I would love to hear from others what makes it MORE complex than other college offenses. Somebody said it on here earlier, so many times as a fan, you have a pretty good feel what is coming next in our offense and I am just a goof watching on TV or in the stands.
I don't think it's more difficult to understand than other offenses. I think the issue is that KF asks the QB to make all the reads and calls on the field, rather than coaches relaying the calls via cards. I think that would be a good interview question. Personally, I've always thought it looks dorky to have offenses stand up and look to the sidelines - but I think I could get over it :) I think it clearly puts us at a disadvantage on multiple levels. Not only does it require a longer learning curve for the starter, but it gives us less flexibility in using back-ups, as well. FWIW, there were clearly many missed calls by the OL this year, to boot. Don't know if cards would help that or not.

Last edited:
I don't think it's more difficult to understand than other offenses. I think the issue is that KF asks the QB to make all the reads and calls on the field, rather than coaches relaying the calls via cards. I think that would be a good interview question. Personally, I've always thought it looks dorky to have offenses stand up and look to the sidelines - but I think I could get over it :) I think it clearly puts us at a disadvantage on multiple levels. Not only does it require a longer learning curve for the starter, but it gives us less flexibility in using back-ups, as well. FWIW, there were clearly many missed calls by the OL this year, to boot. Don't know if cards would help that or not.
We need to stop trying so hard to continue being the “you know what you’re gonna get with Iowa” type of program.

Get on board with the changing of times.

Sure - You don’t need to fix things when they are not broken, but, the offense is broken. Change it.

FWIW, and it's probably not much, I was surprised as hell when KF chose Beathard over Ruddock who I thought was much more in the classic Iowa QB mold.

FWIW, and it's probably not much, I was surprised as hell when KF chose Beathard over Ruddock who I thought was much more in the classic Iowa QB mold.
That was a much tougher decision than most fans wanted to admit. As evidenced by Rudock going to Michigan and setting new records for a QB, then playing in the NFL.

There were a LOT of behind the scenes things going on with that 2014 squad, including KF losing a grandchild shortly after birth.

21 different Power 5 schools have won a championship in the last 10 seasons. There are currently 64 P5 schools. That would be roughly a third of the teams in a P5 conference have a conference championship.

I wouldn’t argue that is a “damn small” number.
That’s a pretty small number brother…. As Lee Corso says not so fast, The Pac 12 has been pretty competitive since 2014 when they changed the format: Oregon has won three, Utah one, Washington 2, USC 1and Stanford one… with I believe 3CFP inclusions.

Thats five of what I counted to be 18 different champions…. We can’t count the Baylor/TCU as 2, because you know that’s a snub on Iowa having a “shared championship“…LOL I love how these things come together!

So that leaves Oklahoma with 6, Baylor 1.5 & TCU for .5, because again we’re talking about an eight year.

In the ACC we have Clemson with six, Wake with one and FSU with one..

In the SEC you have Bama 6, LSU 1 and Georgia 1….

5×8 = 40 championships, so that’s 23 championships won by 5 teams Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson and Oregon.

Iowa has played in two of those 40 Contests…we are heading the right direction. Thanks for your motivation to dig it up.

This should never, ever be an actual thing.

Problem is: it’s a thing.

well let’s keep in mind Drew Bledsoe kept Tom Brady and Tony Romo on the bench too. Not everyone can be as smart a douche bag, we I mean football fan as you.

Reactions: hawk224
I pointed out your lack of punctuation as the reason your message was incomprehensible. I wasn't hoping for a miraculous change in your writing ability.

If you're one of the fans who only looks at the positive aspects of the program, I can appreciate that. Myself and many others see the glaring deficiencies holding the program back from taking another step forward, which leads to many posts regarding the abysmal offensive output. There are games and even a year or two where the offense is extremely efficient, but they are the exception, not the rule. The defense playing well has been the rule for a very long time, with few exceptions, which is why some fans want to see more offensive output. It leaves many wondering how much more success the program would have if the offense was at least average.

I'm "one of those" who understands the aggravation of fans with Kirk. Frankly, he didn't do himself any favors by giving Brian the OC position.

The NFL thing doesn't get me "up in arms" because when it comes to QBs, there isn't a school known for consistently producing NFL starters. I agree it's important to be known for putting kids in the NFL, but in my opinion, has more impact at other positions, due to my previous statement. Even though Iowa has done extremely well at producing NFL talent at OL, TE and DB, Iowa doesn't successfully recruit 5 stars at those positions, consistently. Obviously, there are other important factors such as winning conference championships and potential national titles. Ohio State, Alabama and Clemson don't consistently produce NFL starting QBs, though most do get drafted. Being drafted only carries so much weight, in my opinion. Having a successful NFL career goes much further.

I still don't understand your argument regarding Banks and Tate. You seem to be hung up on them. Yes, they lost games in college, as does virtually every QB in the history of football. Yes, they were good college QBs who didn't play in the NFL. What is your point?

I doubt there has ever been a national title winning QB who wasn't drafted, unless they suffered a career-ending injury. My statement was in regards to a successful NFL career, which several national title winning QBs have not had. I'd happily take a collegiate JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, AJ McCarron, Tim Tebow, Matt Flynn, Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Josh Heupel, Chris Weinke, or Tee Martin. All won national titles and didn't do much in the NFL. I fully expect you to shit on a couple of those, but my point is made.....just saying.

Charlie Ward is the answer to your question… and I’m not gonna get into the bullshit tripe about being “one of those fans“. You have no idea how irritated I get by our losses & offensive output. But I’m a 51-year-old man & I’m not gonna waste good time on a message board whining and bitching constantly about what is supposed to be my favorite team.

Im also fairly positive by nature or at least I hope, I do have my moments of course. But more than anything I’m also very realistic. IMO a grown man bitching constantly about HIS favorite football team, who for all intents and purposes has done nothing but improve for the last six or seven years is beyond helpful, productive or even good for your health.

Especially when you consider that team is helmed by a 66-year-old man who has been here 23 years and seems to be getting better… Recruiting has consistently gotten better over the last six or seven years, their depth has consistently gotten better, their defense is getting better and quite frankly outside of this year I thought the offense was making strides… they are much less likely to lose to A completely inferior team and no 8-4 Purdue and Wisconsin are not inferior teams…

You clearly have more time on your hands and are willing to fight this kind of nonsensical battle. I’m going to enjoy the wins and hope they continue to improve.

Wise people who have watched a lot of football over the years, realize these last two or three hurdles are a bitch and I know there are several of you guys that hate to hear this but: the likeliest hood of us going backwards now is much much better than us going forward. So yes I am ecstatic about where this program is right now.

and the next time we lose a game 10 to 17, I reserve the right to be mad as hell but I’m gonna tell you what I’m not gonna do. I’m not gonna whine and bitch incessantly on a message board for months on end about it.

because here’s the deal I’m gonna be just as unhappy if not more so when we lose 42 to 39 because I hate…and I mean absolutely loathe giving up big-time points.

in fact when it comes down to the football team or the basketball team. I would much rather watch my team punch somebody in the mouth and win 17 to 13 on the gridiron then watch them run up and down the court and lose 102 to 95 on the basketball court.

Now if those are both losses then they both suck lol

ok. last thought, not a fact. do people really think that Kirk would not play the quarterback that gave the team the best chance of winning?
Kirk plays the QB who runs the offense that he wants run, who follows directions explicitly, doesn't deviate from the play that's called, doesn't ad lib and fits the mold of what he desires in a QB.
Not saying that other coaches don't have their preferences; of course they do.
I would say that KF has demonstrated he is farther on the conservative end of the spectrum when it comes to risk aversion than many.
This all helps lead to having the preferred guy taking the snaps who knows the playbook inside and out, does what he's told and has limited ability to work through plays breaking down.

Reactions: dadster
ok. last thought, not a fact. do people really think that Kirk would not play the quarterback that gave the team the best chance of winning?
I think he will play the QB that he thinks will give the team the best chance of winning. I won't buy this 100%; after all, he has an OC that doesn't give the team the best chance of winning. He has shown favoritism and loyality over the years. Beatherd comes to mind recently. I thought Toren Young should have been the started a couple years back. He easily had the best stats.

Reactions: dadster
Kirk plays the QB who runs the offense that he wants run, who follows directions explicitly, doesn't deviate from the play that's called, doesn't ad lib and fits the mold of what he desires in a QB.
This almost the complete opposite of reality. The QBs not only can change the play, they are expected to do so many times a game. The QBs need to know when to change the play and correctly identify the play that should be run. That's one of the major advantages an upperclassman receives in the Ferentz system and why he hasn't started a freshman QB since the turn of the century, and that was only 3 or 4 games in a 3-8 year. Beutjer was a douche bag but a good thrower.

I'm sure you'd agree there aren't many coaches that don't want the players to run the plays the play caller calls. Your issue is with the options available to the QB when he changes a play-a different conversation and one I'm happy to have.

I would say that KF has demonstrated he is farther on the conservative end of the spectrum when it comes to risk aversion than many.
This all helps lead to having the preferred guy taking the snaps who knows the playbook inside and out, does what he's told and has limited ability to work through plays breaking down.
hawk quarterbacks do check off at the line so do not necessarily run the play that‘s originally called. not sure how a quarterback having limited ability to keep plays alive has anything to do with him be the starter. seems more likely if two QB’S both knew the offense and were equal in passing ability the better runner of the two would be playing.

Reactions: cmhawks99
hawk quarterbacks do check off at the line so do not necessarily run the play that‘s originally called. not sure how a quarterback having limited ability to keep plays alive has anything to do with him be the starter. seems more likely if two QB’S both knew the offense and were equal in passing ability the better runner of the two would be playing.
...and these two QBs are not roughly equal in passing ability.

I don’t know if this is 100% accurate, but I don’t think it’s far off.

To put it simply; Kirk plays who he thinks gives them the best chance to win. That doesn’t necessarily mean he is correct.

I think most years he is correct.

Charlie Ward is the answer to your question… and I’m not gonna get into the bullshit tripe about being “one of those fans“. You have no idea how irritated I get by our losses & offensive output. But I’m a 51-year-old man & I’m not gonna waste good time on a message board whining and bitching constantly about what is supposed to be my favorite team.

Im also fairly positive by nature or at least I hope, I do have my moments of course. But more than anything I’m also very realistic. IMO a grown man bitching constantly about HIS favorite football team, who for all intents and purposes has done nothing but improve for the last six or seven years is beyond helpful, productive or even good for your health.

Especially when you consider that team is helmed by a 66-year-old man who has been here 23 years and seems to be getting better… Recruiting has consistently gotten better over the last six or seven years, their depth has consistently gotten better, their defense is getting better and quite frankly outside of this year I thought the offense was making strides… they are much less likely to lose to A completely inferior team and no 8-4 Purdue and Wisconsin are not inferior teams…

You clearly have more time on your hands and are willing to fight this kind of nonsensical battle. I’m going to enjoy the wins and hope they continue to improve.

Wise people who have watched a lot of football over the years, realize these last two or three hurdles are a bitch and I know there are several of you guys that hate to hear this but: the likeliest hood of us going backwards now is much much better than us going forward. So yes I am ecstatic about where this program is right now.

and the next time we lose a game 10 to 17, I reserve the right to be mad as hell but I’m gonna tell you what I’m not gonna do. I’m not gonna whine and bitch incessantly on a message board for months on end about it.

because here’s the deal I’m gonna be just as unhappy if not more so when we lose 42 to 39 because I hate…and I mean absolutely loathe giving up big-time points.

in fact when it comes down to the football team or the basketball team. I would much rather watch my team punch somebody in the mouth and win 17 to 13 on the gridiron then watch them run up and down the court and lose 102 to 95 on the basketball court.

Now if those are both losses then they both suck lol
After reading your long response, I can discern you tend to focus on the positive parts of the Iowa teams, dislike when other don't see it your way and express it with other fans on a message board made for all fans to do so, but also have the same anger level when the Hawks lose a game. You apparently bottle your anger, which is your way of coping, I guess. Myself and other fans find a small amount of solace in getting on the message board and bonding through our mutual aggravation. I suppose I don't understand your irritation at letting it out here, but to each their own.

You're probably a guy I'd enjoy shooting the shit with and having a beer or three, so I'll just chalk this up to a difference of opinion. Hope you have a happy New Year and the Hawks beat Kentucky by 35.

Last edited:
yeah, that is the part that makes it more difficult but it is also not a good offense for a QB because I think the passing game is too clunky and doesn't work so it is hard to have a higher completion percentage.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
After reading your long response, I can discern you tend to focus on the positive parts of the Iowa teams, dislike when other don't see it your way and express it with other fans on a message board made for all fans to do so, but also have the same anger level when the Hawks lose a game. You apparently bottle your anger, which is your way of coping, I guess. Myself and other fans find a small amount of solace in getting on the message board and bonding through our mutual aggravation. I suppose I don't understand your irritation at letting it out here, but to each their own.

You're probably a guy I'd enjoy shooting the shit with and having a beer or three, so I'll just chalk this up to a difference in opinion. Hope you have a happy New Year and the Hawks beat Kentucky by 35.

Awesome…that is an excellent, well measured and pleasant response. Thank you, God bless you and have a happy New Year’s. You are correct this board generally is not particularly good for me, because that’s not the way I move in my life. In fact when I do get there and believe me I DO, I am an asshole and my life is hell & everyone around me….yikes!!!

Reactions: sellarsd
From today's article by Chad Leistikow in the Press-Citizen: (see the whole article here: https://www.press-citizen.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2021/12/26/iowa-football-citrus-bowl-kentucky-hawkeyes-quarterback-spencer-petras-alex-padilla-2022/8987155002/)

* * *​

Ferentz conceded this week that Labas had been among the young players who have flashed during bowl preparation but added that the freshman was “not quite ready to start yet, that’s for sure.”

“If he's going off cards, he's great. If he's running our offense … uhhh, it might be a small playbook,” Ferentz said. “I'm joking. But he's doing a good job.”

Ferentz further cracked of Labas’ improvisational skills off script, “Now we’ve got to get him on script.”

To which I (and probably others) would answer: Maybe that’s been the problem with Iowa’s lack of progress at the QB position overall — a reluctance to go off script. Nate Stanley wasn’t much better as a senior in 2019 than he was as a sophomore. The same can be said about Petras. Perhaps an injection of play-making ability from the pocket is what the Hawkeyes’ stale offense needs to come alive.

* * *​
So once again, out of KF's own mouth, is even more evidence that he has no clue about offense in general or the QB position in particular. This is why he wants the likes of Jake Christensen, Jake Rudock, Nate Stanley, and Spencer Petras instead of Brad Banks, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, or CJ Beathard. This is why Iowa's offense is mired in mediocrity and much worse most of the time. Only when KF is forced to play mobile QBs does the Iowa offense consistently succeed.

And so even after bad-mouthing 4-star Texas QB Deuce Hogan into the transfer portal, KF is still "joking" about a QB he agreed to give a scholarship too, a QB--Labas--who his teammates say makes great athletic plays when he ad-libs, even against the first team defense, but who is lacking in the key skills KF seeks--game management, which means following the script. Period.

When KF keeps saying this BS, I don't know how anyone can fail to see that he always has been the problem with the Iowa offense and, apparently, he's determined to continue in that role, no matter what. Just IMHO, of course.
💯. The vaunted Kirk ference offensive line guru can't even get the running game going cuz there's no fear of his passing attack. In the last 20 years there have been only five seasons where the offense wasn't in the bottom 20 of D1/Fbs teams.

This is the Parker's program. They have been carrying the Ferentz boys for 20 years.

Somehow someway Kirk has to get away from the offense or out of the program all together.

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale
I look forward to the day that our head coaches in football and basketball are no longer coaching their sons.
I have good news!

Our football coach hasn’t been coaching any of his sons for 4 or 5 years.

Might quite awhile for the bball coach.

I damn well know better, but holy shit Gerry Bohanon is available. I know it's Big 12 defense, but seriously that dude would be a game changer in an Iowa uniform.

yeah, that is the part that makes it more difficult but it is also not a good offense for a QB because I think the passing game is too clunky and doesn't work so it is hard to have a higher completion percentage.
Yep.

SP has looked pretty awful, but he's not getting any help from either 1) a decent running attack to make 3rd downs more manageable, a 2) a well-designed passing attack.

I mean an attack that takes advantage of defensive weaknesses, one that has guys short, medium and long in plays where hopefully guys will break open at different times to so a QB has choices. I don't even see a "dump off guy" anymore.

Iowa has a fabulous defense, but a couple times every quarter they give up a pass to some guy that is WIDE open. It seems Iowa rarely has guys wide open. Heck, a lot of the Hawks completions are contested - really good plays by the receivers.

Maybe it's all on SP - throwing to the wrong guy at the wrong time. But, I doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT