ADVERTISEMENT

Kia Sorento PHEV

ihhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
Fort Lauderdale
I sold the Aviator two weeks ago and leased a Kia Sorento PHEV. Total game changer.

My car payment dropped $386 a month. I put on 15,000 miles a year so the 18mpg was not ideal. I live 14 miles from the office and drive around town 2 days a weeks.

Here is what is great about the PHEV. I can charge the small battery over night on the 110v charger. It gives me 31 miles of EV driving. It allows me to drive to the office and back home without a drop of fuel. So far the past 8 days I’ve averaged 78 mpg.

I should save $250 a month in fuel

how is your energy bill?

I doubt it will change too much. He's not using much power. Vehicle sounds perfect for what he needs.

I've got a 220V charger at home and I've seen my electric bill go up a fair bit since I got my car (pure EV). I figure I'm saving about $100-150/month now vs. gas in the $3.50/gallon range. I bought about 80 gallons/month with my old car.

Reactions: ihhawk
how is your energy bill?
At the moment I don’t pay a dime. I’m still in the apartment and I lease the garage below me. It’s a lump sum each month. They don’t charge for electricity.

I also discovered that the govt facilities allow for free charges.

The office is installing chargers as well.

One huge perk by the way. I was at a meeting in Aventura Mall yesterday. I was down to 2 miles on my battery before the hybrid kicked in. They have charging stations on the ground floor in prime parking spots right up front. I charged for 1.5 hours and got 12 miles of juice for $1.98 but didn’t have to pay parking

At the moment I don’t pay a dime. I’m still in the apartment and I lease the garage below me. It’s a lump sum each month. They don’t charge for electricity.

I also discovered that the govt facilities allow for free charges.

The office is installing chargers as well.

One huge perk by the way. I was at a meeting in Aventura Mall yesterday. I was down to 2 miles on my battery before the hybrid kicked in. They have charging stations on the ground floor in prime parking spots right up front. I charged for 1.5 hours and got 12 miles of juice for $1.98 but didn’t have to pay parking
This is a dumb question but you have to pay to charge them? I just assumed the chargers for Tesla's and the other vehicles didn't cost anything. Maybe each are different?

This is a dumb question but you have to pay to charge them? I just assumed the chargers for Tesla's and the other vehicles didn't cost anything. Maybe each are different?
There are some local govt charging stations that are free. There are also charging stations like Tesla.

I have the slow charger that plugs into the 110 outlet. I could get the 220 version but I’d have to have the complex change the outlet

I sold the Aviator two weeks ago and leased a Kia Sorento PHEV. Total game changer.

My car payment dropped $386 a month. I put on 15,000 miles a year so the 18mpg was not ideal. I live 14 miles from the office and drive around town 2 days a weeks.

Here is what is great about the PHEV. I can charge the small battery over night on the 110v charger. It gives me 31 miles of EV driving. It allows me to drive to the office and back home without a drop of fuel. So far the past 8 days I’ve averaged 78 mpg.

I should save $250 a month in fuel
This would be a great car to have in Key West.

Reactions: ihhawk
how is your energy bill?

It uses 43 kWhr/100 miles

So, 30 miles is about 13 kWhr
You pay about 0.13/kWhr for electricity, so that's <$2 (about $1.70 per day) for the ~30 miles range.
(his is included in rent, but that's what he's using, cost-wise)

So, his electric cost will run probably 1/4 to 1/3 what the gas cost would have been with the "old car" at 18 mpg (1.67 gallons of gas at $3.50-$4 a gallon is $5.80-$6.70 per 30 mile trip)

PART of the reason electric operation costs are so much less, is that you're only using about 20% of the gas you buy to "make the car move"; the other 80% of the fuel is lost to heat. Electrics are more like 90% efficient.

ADVERTISEMENT