ADVERTISEMENT

Kids of professional athletes?

That reminds me of what I have read about Chad Greenway's daughter. I believe she was starting for her varsity team in 8th grade.

Kate would have easily started last year on a senior-heavy team that won the State Championship, but 8th grader are not allowed to play above JV in the state of georgia.

My wife (no pics) was the point guard at the same school many years ago and still loves to go to the games. Even more so now that this phenom's starting.

Reactions: EasyHawk
Seeing fathers and sons or brothers seems fairly common in the NHL, at least compared to other sports. I think that's probably because hockey is a sport where starting young and getting good coaching as a kid can make a tremendous difference in the likelihood of making it to the NHL, much more than other sports. My son didn't start playing hockey until he was 6 years old and has been playing catch-up ever since, even though he knew how to ice skate decently when he started.

Best father/son combos - The Hulls, Howies. Folignos, Parises, and Stastnys.

There seem to be a lot of brothers in the NHL right now. Heck, Jack, Luke, and Quinn Hughes went #1, #4, and #7 overall in their respective drafts.

Reactions: Nole Lou
That reminds me of what I have read about Chad Greenway's daughter. I believe she was starting for her varsity team in 8th grade.

She was starting PG, and I believe leading scorer, for a state championship team as a 7th grader.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
Similarly, Mychal Thompson was the top pick in the 1978 NBA Draft, but is probably not as good as Klay. Mychal Jr also played in the NBA for a short time, and the youngest brother plays in MLB.
That's a great one, I was a huge Magic Johnson fan and always a Laker fan. Mychal was a key part of two of the NBA Championships I believe. Those teams were so fun to watch.

Seeing fathers and sons or brothers seems fairly common in the NHL, at least compared to other sports. I think that's probably because hockey is a sport where starting young and getting good coaching as a kid can make a tremendous difference in the likelihood of making it to the NHL, much more than other sports. My son didn't start playing hockey until he was 6 years old and has been playing catch-up ever since, even though he knew how to ice skate decently when he started.

Best father/son combos - The Hulls, Howies. Folignos, Parises, and Stastnys.

There seem to be a lot of brothers in the NHL right now. Heck, Jack, Luke, and Quinn Hughes went #1, #4, and #7 overall in their respective drafts.

Caleb & Seth Jones are both playing as defensemen in the NHL right now; their dad, Popeye Jones, was a pretty good NBA player for a while & is now coaching in the NBA.

Yannick Noah had a solid pro tennis career, winning a major & getting as high as #3 in the world rankings; his son, other than being a stinking gator, had a solid NBA career.

Patrick Surtain and Patrick Surtain Jr.

Like 10% of the OTs in the League.

I thought it was Randy Reiners.
I saw kris regularly and although i wasn't there he allegedly peed on the atm. The coaches had him banned from downtown bars so he often went to the bar accross the bridge by McDonald's. Not sure if it's still there.

Grandpa Ray Boone and his son Bob were pretty good, as were grandsons Aaron and Bret Boone. Ken Norton Sr and Ken Norton Jr come to mind, as does Joe Frazier and Marvis (although he ran into trouble vs Holmes and Tyson). Many people forget about Jellybean Bryant, but Kobe was one of the best ever.

The Nortons are a good one. Marvis Frazier is probably a nobody without his father's name so not sure if that's a great example, but the Mayweathers are maybe the best example in boxing.

Boxing is a tough one, because boxing is usually a sport of the poor, and most successful boxers would prefer their kids do not fight because they don't have to. But of course, there's always going to be those that want to follow in the footsteps. And a lot of successful boxers end up broke anyway.

And unlike pretty much any other sport, a guy with a "name" can be promoted and protected whether they are actually very good or not...like Marvis Frazier or JC Chavez Jr.

Leon Spinks' son Cory Spinks was a decent fighter that held a belt. Kostya Tszyu's son appears to maybe be the real deal.

ADVERTISEMENT