ADVERTISEMENT

Kiplinger's 11 Reasons You Don't Want to Retire in Florida

There was literally not one good reason on that list. And I can think of some good reasons.

Pools are expensive? That’s like saying don’t move to Minnesota. Fur coats shed on the sofa.

There’s old people there? Well...isn’t this article talking to potential retirees? You know...old people?

There’s no income tax...but there’s sales tax. OMG!

Come to visit and then leave. Pay those taxes on your purchases so I don’t have to pay on my income.

I don't either. More like $20 or so a month,not including electricity to run the pool pump.
Sea, do you still get to snorkel in nearby springs? That is a childhood memory that reminds me of Wacissa, Wakulla, and so many other of nature’s treasures in N. Florida.

Sea, do you still get to snorkel in nearby springs? That is a childhood memory that reminds me of Wacissa, Wakulla, and so many other of nature’s treasures in N. Florida.

a lot of the springs in Central Florida are on public land & still accessible. There are a few you can no longer heft to, including one that is the source of Zephyrhills bottled water. It had always been a public swimming hole, even though it was always on private property. Ten or 15 years ago the owners shut down the access to it, I imagine at the request-demand of Nestle (which owns the bottling rights)

a lot of the springs in Central Florida are on public land & still accessible. There are a few you can no longer heft to, including one that is the source of Zephyrhills bottled water. It had always been a public swimming hole, even though it was always on private property. Ten or 15 years ago the owners shut down the access to it, I imagine at the request-demand of Nestle (which owns the bottling rights)
You are close to Weeki Wachi, right?

12. A lot of Florida will be under water or uninhabitable due to extreme heat by the time people reading this retire.

California. Arizona, Texas, and Florida are popular
states for retirement. They all have a warm climate.
However, there is more to retirement than a warm
Winter. Which of these states has the lowest taxes?
Which of these states has the best medical facilities?
Which of these states has the most reasonable housing
costs?

#1) Floridians
dP49Gl2.gif

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Probably the reason why the % of felons isn’t worse. How the F can 10% of your population be a convicted felon.

Because in the South it's a scarcely hidden way for the Republicans to continue to control the states. They disenfranchise black and other minority voters by overcharging black "criminals". Study after study shows that when whites are alleged to have committed a crime they have a substantially higher percentage that are not charged usually due to "pretrial diversion" opportunities that are not provided to blacks and other minorities. Then not only are they charged substantially more often but they are overcharged to felonies as opposed to recovering misdemeanours for the same exact allegations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...16668770/us-sentencing-commission-race-booker

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT