ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk “Salvador Dali” Ferentz

Oldgold51

Team MVP
Aug 16, 2015
dali_salvador_3.jpg

For years I have been perplexed and sometimes amused by Kirk’s clock management decisions. Most of the amusement came at the of end the Iowa-LSU Capital One Bowl.

Yesterday’s TO at the end of the first half was another of Kirk’s Salvador Dali clock management decisions and might have cost us the game, except for the heroics of the Odebolt Flash.

Second down and 12, Wisky’s ball at midfield, Iowa up 14-3, the clock running with 1:20 remaining in the half, Wisky in disarray after a sack and Kirk calls a TO!?!

Can anyone defend this?

dali_salvador_3.jpg

For years I have been perplexed and sometimes amused by Kirk’s clock management decisions. Most of the amusement came at the of end the Iowa-LSU Capital One Bowl.

Yesterday’s TO at the end of the first half was another of Kirk’s Salvador Dali clock management decisions and might have cost us the game, except for the heroics of the Odebolt Flash.

Second down and 12, Wisky’s ball at midfield, Iowa up 14-3, the clock running with 1:20 remaining in the half, Wisky in disarray after a sack and Kirk calls a TO!?!

Can anyone defend this?
Actually, I don't think it was a bad move. We had been stopping their offense. We had the wind. With timeouts and a stop, we could get the ball in good field position. Unfortunately, our late aggression cost us a touchdown. Shulte was late reacting to their receiver.

dali_salvador_3.jpg

Can anyone defend this?
We won.

• Haha
Reactions: JLDHAWK
Actually, I don't think it was a bad move. We had been stopping their offense. We had the wind. With timeouts and a stop, we could get the ball in good field position. Unfortunately, our late aggression cost us a touchdown. Shulte was late reacting to their receiver.
How? They took the timeout when Wisconsin had the ball on their own 44. Force a punt there, they're getting the ball somewhere between the 15-25. To think Iowa is going to move the ball 40+ yards in a minute with no timeouts, when they have a total of 64 yards in the previous 7 possessions, is insane.

The fact they gave up a TD on that drive is irrelevant to the decision.

How? They took the timeout when Wisconsin had the ball on their own 44. Force a punt there, they're getting the ball somewhere between the 15-25. To think Iowa is going to move the ball 40+ yards in a minute with no timeouts, when they have a total of 64 yards in the previous 7 possessions, is insane.

You really think Kirk would have done anything with that opportunity? LMAO

When we had the ball the possession prior, I think it was 3rd and 6 on their 40-45 and the play clock was running out. THAT was when a TO should have been called to regroup and make sure we are in good shape to pick up the first. Instead, Petras was rushed to get the snap off and we don't convert.

Reactions: dadster

We had Wisconsin on their heels. We had already blocked one punt. With a poor punt into the wind we could be in position to kick a long field goal.

Because it was a blitz ... Schulte was likely expecting a short-read by the QB. I believe that Wisconsin's QB has a bit of a tendency to throw outlets more. My guess is that they got us caught looking short ... and a guy got behind them. Still not acceptable ... but it was a good break from tendency by Wisconsin.

But yeah ... I don't think that it was a bad move either. I think that the coaches assumed that the D would continue doing what they had been all game. As another poster indicated too ... it appeared that we had Wisco on the ropes. It was an attempt to continue to gain more momentum.

dali_salvador_3.jpg

Can anyone defend this?
I did/do not agree with using the timeouts in that position.

Our offense wasn’t moving the ball well enough to justify the timeouts. Blocking a second punt is low percentage likelihood also.

I did/do not agree with using the timeouts in that position.

Our offense wasn’t moving the ball well enough to justify the timeouts. Blocking a second punt is low percentage likelihood also.
This ^. If they punt we get the ball deep in our own territory, and we weren’t doing anything on offense, and Mr conservative would have just taken a knee or ran it up the middle into a stone wall anyway. Absolute idiotic move to take a timeout.

Reactions: Bishop1971
It was a terrible decision. We sat on the ball at our 35 with a timeout and the big Ten title on the line with a good offense in 2009 and now we are trying to get the ball back with 30 seconds to go, no timeouts with a 14-3 lead and this offense?

It just seemed to go against the whole conservative, winning football we live by. We weren't going to score had we gotten the ball back.

Most frustrating call of the game in my eye. Glad it didn't lose us the game.

Maybe a good decision if your offense was having their way with Wisconsin. But, that was anything but the case.

I'll preface this by saying I didn't like the decision at the time. But it does have its merits. Turn the ball over next play we are in business. Force them to punt and Cooper runs it back (Like he did later).

Last edited:
Reactions: unclesammy
I was today years old the first time I ever heard Salvador Dali and football mentioned together. 🤣🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT