ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk almost tears up again

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
It’s becoming a bit of a tradition at this point, seeing Kirk get a little emotional in an interview about once a year. One of the last questions in this interview is about how big this win was considering the circumstances, given ISU was ready to claim that the tide had finally turned in their favor, etc. Kirk was left a bit speechless, I think maybe partly because he didn’t want to be seen as saying anything that could be construed as shoveling dirt on ISU’s grave, etc. But you could definitely see from his emotion that there was some truth to the question.

It’s becoming a bit of a tradition at this point, seeing Kirk get a little emotional in an interview about once a year. One of the last questions in this interview is about how big this win was considering the circumstances, given ISU was ready to claim that the tide had finally turned in their favor, etc. Kirk was left a bit speechless, I think maybe partly because he didn’t want to be seen as saying anything that could be construed as shoveling dirt on ISU’s grave, etc. But you could definitely see from his emotion that there was some truth to the question.

Love Holly; she seems as down to earth as KF

Thanks for posting - he is all class!
Incredible human being. Absolutely adored and admired by virtually every guy who has ever played for him.

Fun story (and of course tons of fans have similar ones):

Ran into him at O’Hare on his way back from the draft years ago. Said hello and he stopped and talked for a good 5 minutes. Couldn’t have been nicer.

Donated a tiny amount to his dad’s memorial fund when he passed away. Got a hand-written note from him thanking me for what was a completely inconsequential amount.

Was jogging by Carver just this past Thursday afternoon and saw him walking toward me along the sidewalk. He waved and said hello, almost as if he didn’t think I’d know who he was. Was fun to give him a “hey, Coach!” Very brief but cool encounter.

He’s obviously a great coach, but he’s a far better man. So much integrity, so much humility, and so much dignity. Just a tremendous credit to our university and our state. Darn proud he’s our coach!

Love Holly; she seems as down to earth as KF
Absolutely. Kirk seems to have a genuine connection to many of the sideline reporters. Its great to see the mutual respect many of them show KF for his tenure as the dean of college coaches, and in no small part I'm sure they enjoy not having to put up with so many of the douche bag ego maniacs that patrol the sidelines...

Absolutely. Kirk seems to have a genuine connection to many of the sideline reporters. Its great to see the mutual respect many of them show KF for his tenure as the dean of college coaches, and in no small part I'm sure they enjoy not having to put up with so many of the douche bag ego maniacs that patrol the sidelines...
He is an actual human being that is comfortable with who he is, his relationship with his coaches/players, and how his program functions. You get these types of reactions when the person isn't trying to think of an old execution quote or show off for their new stripper wife.

He is an actual human being that is comfortable with who he is, his relationship with his coaches/players, and how his program functions. You get these types of reactions when the person isn't trying to think of an old execution quote or show off for their new stripper wife.
bingo, we have a winner.

Loved his line about going back to work.

"It's a lot easier to do it after a win".

Coach just demonstrates true love and pride in his players, coaches and program, every day. Win or lose we have a class act at the helm. I've met Coach several times and each time I walk away thinking that might be the nicest, humblest man I have ever met.

I’ve watched it several times and it’s about the coolest most genuine response to a question I’ve seen. It’s good to be a Hawk and have that great man leading our program.

My concern is part of his emotion on these interviews is wondering if it’s his last isu/Iowa coached game. It’s awesome if he is just this passionate even without the thought of retirement near though. So yea idk. Gosh I hope we can find a decent replacement when that time comes.

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Yes, he makes a lot of money. But it's a results driven business and the fact he's managed to be Iowa's head coach for 23 years, navigating MANY ebbs and flows along the way, is a testament to how strong of a man he is. So getting asked a question like that... it was him realizing he's come a long way from being the same hotshot young coach Matt Campbell is now, and that he's devoted his entire professional life to this program, and it's good to know that people still appreciate what he's been doing all this time.

Kirk Ferentz is a humble, down to earth guy.
He loves his Iowa Hawkeye football players.
And just as important his players love him.
This mutual love and respect empowers the
Hawkeye team to play hard and win games.

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT