ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz addresses the issues with a statement

Alright, first off, if it comes to light that Doyle disproportionately treated players of color differently than whites, let him go. However, I'm not going to jump the gun here because I haven't seen anything so egregious to fire him on the spot. Ferentz places an emphasis on developing as a person first and an player second. So yeah, it probably is a culture shock for most players to show up and be told how to act, dress, talk, etc. I'm assuming here, but these policies apply to all players regardless of color equally. For athletes of color, this is likely a tougher adjustment for a number of reasons. I'm not willing to toss Doyle & Ferentz to the wolves because a handful of former players have decided to come out via twitter and share, for the most part, pretty soft examples of what they deem to be unfair treatment. Again, as I mentioned in the beginning, if this turns out to be substantiated claims of ongoing racism by coach Doyle, fire his ass. But I'm more inclined to look at the overwhelming amount of good this program has done for players and the tremendous amount of respect and appreciation players have given Coach Ferentz and how he runs the program at Iowa.

Pairing former players w/ current players to assist them with finding jobs after college
https://www.thegazette.com/life-after-football-former-hawkeyes-help-current-ones-20190609
Devonte Young thought highly enough of Ferentz to ask him to step in for his parents on senior day
https://allhawkeyes.com/pages/story/details/3364

"..Doyle “the best in the business,’’ and praising his ability to “always get my mind and body ready for battle.’’-Geno Stone
The type of culture that we have, people want to come there and be great,’’ said Wirfs, a consensus top-10 projection in this year’s draft class. “Coach Doyle develops you more than you ever know in the weight room. It’s kind of like a factory almost.’’
https://wcfcourier.com/sports/colle...cle_ae94b1b2-c2a0-581e-a084-85836a3e0d28.html

The accolades and praise go on and on for Ferentz and Doyle. I'm not a POC and I wasn't in the program, so I will sit back and listen to what players have to say, but I refuse to be part of cancel culture until sufficient information and justification comes forward. Iowa's program is different, but so are the players that come out of it. Maybe just maybe it's okay for some players not to enjoy it because it wasn't a good fit for their personality/individuality & that's okay.
Like DJ Johnson, apparently.....

Honestly I didn’t see any of this coming, and earlier today when I saw some of the tweets I thought “well sounds like Doyle needs to go”...but after all of this, I think KF needs to go probably as well. Which I hate to say, but you’re the head hawk...buck stops there and it sure sounds like the culture is toxic.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Just curious how different Iowa is from other college programs? Evidently our coaches are racist thugs who also treat all players horribly and think they are better than everyone else. Is that about right? I am all for airing grievances, but it is usually not done in this manner. I think the coaches need to hear this stuff, but this Twitter crap is gonna kill the U of I. I have a hard time seeing how this helps Iowa. JMO
We mean it when we say Iowa can't have nice things. This is just another example.....

Welp, KF might not survive this.
At first I thought that was extremely low odds but you can’t have this many former players saying they felt uncomfortable in your program. Obviously this is a super sensitive topic right now with all of the protests but even in normal times if a bunch of your former employees speak up and say they felt uncomfortable, you have to put the boss under the microscope. And when it’s a bunch of 18-22yo kids the scrutiny is going to be worse.

Davidkov to Michigan
Keagan Johnson to Nebraska
And you think this is the worst thing that could happen? Literally read some of this stuff...if we don’t make a stand and go win at all costs...all we are is a less talented And successful Ohio State.

Honestly I didn’t see any of this coming, and earlier today when I saw some of the tweets I thought “well sounds like Doyle needs to go”...but after all of this, I think KF needs to go probably as well. Which I hate to say, but you’re the head hawk...buck stops there and it sure sounds like the culture is toxic.
Well the Buck doesn't stop with the President so maybe he can spin it that way?! I kid in a sad and despondent depressed sort of way......Sigh

Like DJ Johnson, apparently.....
Yeah maybe, I mean there are probably a lot of players over the years who weren't real happy with the culture of Iowa, but elected to stay for whatever reason. Certainly a possibility those are the ones being most vocal right now. Could be totally wrong, but I just can't get on board with the fire everyone mentality based on what information is currently out there.

Incredibly sad. One of my greatest prides in being a Hawk fan has always been the supposed family friendly culture and doing things “the right way.” I really hope that the appropriate steps, whatever they may be, are taken to get that back again...

And quite frankly, I don’t care if it sets the program back five to ten years. I’ll still be watching and cheering

Incredibly sad. One of my greatest prides in being a Hawk fan has always been the supposed family friendly culture and doing things “the right way.” I really hope that the appropriate steps, whatever they may be, are taken to get that back again...

And quite frankly, I don’t care if it sets the program back five to ten years. I’ll still be watching and cheering
I need Garza back and a final 4 now more than ever AFTER the rotten core of racial inequality is fixed in football regardless of what needs to be dismantled to get there!

Yeah maybe, I mean there are probably a lot of players over the years who weren't real happy with the culture of Iowa, but elected to stay for whatever reason. Certainly a possibility those are the ones being most vocal right now. Could be totally wrong, but I just can't get on board with the fire everyone mentality based on what information is currently out there.
Well according to DJ Johnson not a single one of the black players on the team really enjoys being there, they just put up with it because they think the potential rewards (playing time, NFL, etc.) are worth it. And I haven’t yet seen any players speaking up to contradict these claims, which is concerning. If the players speaking up about problems were misconstruing the culture I would expect to see tons of other players loudly disagreeing. Maybe we will eventually see that but so far we haven’t.

Well according to DJ Johnson not a single one of the black players on the team really enjoys being there, they just put up with it because they think the potential rewards (playing time, NFL, etc.) are worth it. And I haven’t yet seen any players speaking up to contradict these claims, which is concerning. If the players speaking up about problems were misconstruing the culture I would expect to see tons of other players loudly disagreeing. Maybe we will eventually see that but so far we haven’t.
This is what I am thinking, I was hoping to see tons of former players coming out of the woodwork to support the program...that silence is deafening.

This is what I am thinking, I was hoping to see tons of former players coming out of the woodwork to support the program...that silence is deafening.
Lol the silence is deafening because it's devolved into a pissing contest at this point. The white players sure aren't going to speak up or they'll get ripped to shreds and I'm sure the black players don't want to downplay any of the claims that have been made

Definitely agree regarding other former players stepping up and addressing these claims, but a majority of this info/claims are just coming out, so there is time to clear the air. In my original post Stone, Wirfs, & Devonte Young all shared praise for the Iowa program, to include Ferentz & Doyle...hoping others will step up and reiterate that support, but given where we're at I would imagine some are reluctant to do so for fear of how that may be perceived.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Lol the silence is deafening because it's devolved into a pissing contest at this point. The white players sure aren't going to speak up or they'll get ripped to shreds and I'm sure the black players don't want to downplay any of the claims that have been made

I agree. I think this started as a domino effect. It climaxed with the guys who transferred for lack of playing time. Now some of the guys like Hooker are moderating their comments.

One problem for Kirk is that Doyle has been with KF at Iowa the entire 21 years.

What did KF know and when did he know it?

A little too late for all that. Doyle without question is gone. And if things continue on their present course, Kirk might end up resigning.

I agree. I think this started as a domino effect. It climaxed with the guys who transferred for lack of playing time. Now some of the guys like Hooker are moderating their comments.
They're starting to realize it got out of control and they might be doing irreversible damage to the program.

Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
**** this guy. We endure it because we know we can benefit from it? So you knew and it became to tough or you didn’t get your results and you blame it on racism now? I mean where does it end on the blame? If you knew then you need to be accountable for putting yourself in that situation correct? Now you want to blame others on what you state you knew? Wow crazy world we live in.

Come on people this is nuts.

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0

Like many of us, I am struggling with what I am reading tonight. I just listened to the Kelvin Bell interview yesterday and have a hard time believing he would stick around in a toxic environment like we are hearing about. We will see if anyone walks back their statements or anyone else comes out to defend the program. Hopefully, tomorrow (or later today) will be a better day.

They're starting to realize it got out of control and they might be doing irreversible damage to the program.

Getting Iowa on ESPN under the description of a racist program will do that.

Daniels said he wanted to get this team to a Natty. It might be more realistic to be on Illinois or Nebraska's level at this rate.

It's like the media. More people see the glaring headline than the 2nd day retraction on pg 5.

Reactions: Frosty7130
Getting Iowa on ESPN under the description of a racist program will do that.

Daniels said he wanted to get this team to a Natty. It might be more realistic to be on Illinois or Nebraska's level at this rate.

It's like the media. More people see the glaring headline than the 2nd day retraction on pg 5.
I don't blame James Daniels or Mike Daniels one bit either. They had something to say, and directed toward the university and state of Iowa as a whole, and made very good points. If Doyle really said those things, he does need to go.

But guys who washed out of the program for one reason or another are seeing this as a chance to pile on and get their moment in the spotlight.

Like many of us, I am struggling with what I am reading tonight. I just listened to the Kelvin Bell interview yesterday and have a hard time believing he would stick around in a toxic environment like we are hearing about. We will see if anyone walks back their statements or anyone else comes out to defend the program. Hopefully, tomorrow (or later today) will be a better day.
Right? I mean how many players have left over the years and were free to air any grievances against Iowa at that time, but we're only now hearing all this? Doesn't add up in my opinion. Iowa runs a strict program and it's not for everyone, but racist and prejudice against players of color is not the picture I would paint based on the overwhelming majority of positive praise given by 99% of former players. If Iowa is in fact a toxic/racist program, why do none of the assistant coaches share this sentiment?

"..such a traumatic and life changing experience at Iowa" "detrimental to my mental health"

Maybe I'm insensitive, but these guys are coming across as Charmin soft. I can emphasize with the culture change and struggle to adapt, but seriously, traumatic and detrimental to my health? I spent my 19th birthday at Ft Benning, Georgia in 2012 and got called everything you can imagine, but I would hardly qualify it as traumatic and detrimental to my health. Mental toughness is becoming a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: m.stoops2013
Right? I mean how many players have left over the years and were free to air any grievances against Iowa at that time, but we're only now hearing all this? Doesn't add up in my opinion. Iowa runs a strict program and it's not for everyone, but racist and prejudice against players of color is not the picture I would paint based on the overwhelming majority of positive praise given by 99% of former players. If Iowa is in fact a toxic/racist program, why do none of the assistant coaches share this sentiment?

I am not saying Iowa is a racist program.

Regarding speaking up: Unhealthy and abusive cultures/relationships go on for years, many times under the radar because people live in fear of it. If you are afraid of an entire culture, the last thing people want to do is speak out against it, especially if they don’t think they’ll be supported. Part of the culture becomes not feeling you can confront it. This is common on micro and macro levels of abuse. I think we should withhold judgment on when/how people share their experiences. Imagine being a young black man attacking the Iowa football program alone, especially if you transferred or didn’t play. Nobody would listen. Once someone spoke, it seems it gave others the freedom to speak too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT