ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz is a good man.

there are a lot of stories like this that nobody ever hears. Great, great man.
Yep. Remember Dolph or somebody let it out of the bag, that KF had been using his use of the private jet, (thats in his contract for so many hours), to fly patients in to U of I hospital for care tests and treatment. Another great example of giving back when you have been blessed with much.

Ferentz seemed to have made a concerted effort after his 2010 extension to meaningfully give back to the community. He’s well paid obviously, but he’s earned his money. His coaching peers who make as much or more than him don’t seem to have the same sense of philanthropic obligation he does. Bottom line he demonstrates a lot of empathy for others and uses his power and money to effectuate that pretty darn well.

Kirk was not the odds on favor to take over the football program when Hayden retired. Tough years those first three years were as the talent level had slipped agaisnt other BigTen programs. Happy to call Kirk coach. Much better man than some of our B1G rivals (Frosty, PJ, $Mel Tucker, Locksley).

I can only underscore the previous comments. Coach Ferentz is a great human person. One of great integrity and an example for young men ot observe as they play for him for a 4-5 year time frame. His record for graduation is superb. His players, almost universally, have high praise for him and what he did for them. That is an indicator I look for when assessing a coach. What do those who played for a coach say of him after they have moved on in life.

He will be looked at like Hayden in the future and this is a major reason why (along with 5 top tens obviously). Thanks for sharing that OP

back in early August of 1974 Henry Kissinger told an infamous politician that "history will look on you more kindly than your contemporaries."

while this is has yet come true for this infamous politician, I am confident that history will regard Kirk Ferentz more kindly than his contemporaries.

KF is a proud representation of the state of Iowa.... he has done so much for the community and it's not because of PR, he's never a "look at me" type of guy and he does these things out of the sheer goodness of his heart... I've always said he's like your dad, no matter how frustrated you are with him and how stubborn he his, you still love him and you are damn proud to call him your dad(coach)

Ferentz seemed to have made a concerted effort after his 2010 extension to meaningfully give back to the community. He’s well paid obviously, but he’s earned his money. His coaching peers who make as much or more than him don’t seem to have the same sense of philanthropic obligation he does. Bottom line he demonstrates a lot of empathy for others and uses his power and money to effectuate that pretty darn well.

He has pretty much done this from day one at Iowa.

20 years ago I can probably say that I only cared about wins for the program. But now that I'm older and have a son of my own, I am more impressed with the stories about how he takes these kids and turns them into men. I listen to the Washed up Walkons podcast, and it's cool to hear how former players love KF, and will go defend him at all costs

My wife is the one in the picture . I was shocked the morning my phone rang while I was in the Kitchen and it was Coach Ferentz. He and I talked about how Deb was doing and then he wanted to talk to her I told him that I would put it on speaker. There were two hospice nurses in the room, one a Hawkeye fan and the other a die hard Iowa State fan. The cool part besides Deb being shocked and pleased beyond belief . Is that the Iowa State fan about fell out of her chair when she herd his voice and could not believe it and was very impressed that he called . Coach talked to us for about 20 min.

Kirk Ferentz is truly a class act.

My wife is the one in the picture . I was shocked the morning my phone rang while I was in the Kitchen and it was Coach Ferentz. He and I talked about how Deb was doing and then he wanted to talk to her I told him that I would put it on speaker. There were two hospice nurses in the room, one a Hawkeye fan and the other a die hard Iowa State fan. The cool part besides Deb being shocked and pleased beyond belief . Is that the Iowa State fan about fell out of her chair when she herd his voice and could not believe it and was very impressed that he called . Coach talked to us for about 20 min.

So how is your wife doing?

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
So how is your wife doing?

She is doing as well as can be expected stage 4 tumor in midsection and been Fighting for 2 years Rochester some but mostly at Cancer treatment center in Chicago. Chemo just got to be to hard on her body for 2 years straight. so she is resting at in home Hospice comfortably.
Thanks for your thoughts

She is doing as well as can be expected stage 4 tumor in midsection and been Fighting for 2 years Rochester some but mostly at Cancer treatment center in Chicago. Chemo just got to be to hard on her body for 2 years straight. so she is resting at in home Hospice comfortably.
Thanks for your thoughts

God bless you and your wife.

Thank you for sharing. You and your family will be in my thoughts, wishing you the best. Good luck. Hopefully there will be many more hawkeye wins to bring you guys some joy!

Thanks for your thoughts

Best of luck on your journey. Those of us who've gone down similar paths with that wretched disease are with you. Go Hawks and Go Deb!!

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT