ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz ... leadership and head coaching

cidsports

HB King
Iowa is 4-0 for the second time, in his head coaching career at Iowa. It is nice to see a strong September performance.

I heard a lot of noise this off season from some very interesting sources that Iowa was done. I also heard from a former customer about Kirk's expectations heading into 2015.

Last year, Iowa looked like a team divided at season's end. This is a better roster for what to work with, but this team isn't, on paper, Ferentz's best one.

I think many would maybe suggest, far from it.

11355455.jpeg

While I would love to see Iowa's first 12-0 season, I am realistic, with this roster and even this schedule, this is a very tall, tall order. Can they get to 10-2?

9-3 is typically my goal most years. 3-1, 3-1 and 3-1 ... is par for the course, winning record approximately each month. Win the bowl game ... since 0-1 isn't winning.

A 6-0 start was what I was hoping for in 2015. Not sure Iowa will complete the task, but they are 2/3rds of the way there, with the two B1Gest games next up.

However, it is very nice to hear the various player interviews. Tom and Blair, keep up the always fine work.

For a former NFL assistant, a guy who defies KF and practices the 1s vs. 1s; I have to salute the past 16 years and now year 17th with Kirk Ferentz as head coach. I was pleased when he was hired. I am very pleased, like in 2000, that he is staying the course and working to improve the Iowa brand.

In September, he has certainly won some fans on the Big Ten Network. On Saturday, he and the Hawkeyes can make some noise on ESPN. Of course, Wisconsin isn't going to go down without a fight.

We may be seeing the Best Two the Big Ten West has to offer on Saturday, in Madison.

11355739.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.