ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz Press Conference Notes

Apr 8, 2003

---

Rough quotes and notes from Kirk Ferentz

Opening Statement

I was just going into my office and saw Marshal's old blue pickup out there. If that truck wasn't out in the lot in the off-season it meant Marshal was out snowmobiling or fishing or out of down because most times he was here training. What a great deal to have him honored this weekend. Any wall that is worth having should have Marshal Yanda's name on it.

Appreciate everyone being here. It was unusual having Saturday off. Good chance for guys to rest a little bit. Looking back, we were happy to get the win on Friday. There were a lot of challenges going into the game with a night game on a short week and a good opponent, so proud of our guys and the way the played with good energy. Thought both sides of our line played well. Good to see Sebastian Castro come up with a big play on special teams. He's done a lot of good things here on scout team, but has been stacked behind some good players at safety. Could be a jumping board for him. Pleased for him.

Captains Linderbaum, Hankins, Koerner, and Petras

Medically, in pretty good shape. I think everybody has a shot to be ready to go.

Big challenge in front of us and a lot of attention on this game. Our message hasn't changed. It's all about us trying to get better on a daily basis. That's what we need to be focused on. We've got a young team, learned a lot about them five games in.

Looking at Penn State, I've been following them since I was in elementary school. A lot of things still the same because they always have good players and Coach Franklin has them playing at a really high rate. Their QB is a veteran player that can make any throw and is a dangerous runner as well. He's a leader. Big, veteran group upfront on the line and two outstanding TEs and great receiving corps. Impressed with #5 as much as any receiver we've seen. Very aggressive on defense with a lot of movement and a lot of pressure. Doing a great job on special teams as well.

Our Kid Captain is Kale Schmidt from Goose Lake. He's beat cancer twice and this fall makes five years cancer free, so very happy for him.

Great environment on Saturday. Told our team fans don't play the game, we do, so have to make sure we're ready to go.

Q: Kaevon, Terry making big plays last week. Can you talk about their journey?

KF: Terry really made his mark on special teams and Kaevon has climbed the ladder there as well. He was more of a basketball player in high school, but thought he had a lot of potential as a football player. Both high energy guys so glad to see them have some success and get interceptions on Friday.

Q: Does it take you back having a guy from Erie flying around on special teams?

KF: There's a parallel for sure. Both about the same height, although Terry probably has him by an inch or two. Jovon Johnson led us on to Terry and he's been a great teammate since he got here. We consider Terry like a starter on defense because he'd be one if we didn't have two veterans back this season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News