ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz Press Conference Notes

Apr 8, 2003
These are rough quotes and notes from Kirk Ferentz's press conference in Iowa City this afternoon.

---

Opening Statement

Welcome everybody. Just start out, I think overall we've been really pleased with getting the win Saturday and our team's performance in the September block of the schedule. Team has worked hard, stayed focused, and improved. Played through circumstances and different situations and for the most part responded well. Team has had a good attitude since we got started in January. Leadership has emerged and good growth so far. Good start. Now we shift into October and get into conference play, which is significant.

Captains are the same this week. Drew Ott, Jordan Lomax, Austin Blythe, and C.J. Beathard. Kind of locked in there.

Medically, nobody eliminated yet. Couple guys limited this week and we'll see if they're ready by game time.

Wisconsin, very well coached, play hared, and always a challenge playing in Madison.

I think we've got a good football team right now. We'll certainly learn more in the weeks to come.

Q: Combination of Wisconsin and Pitt together? KF: Yes, and no. Fourth coaching staff we've faced since I got back in '99, but typically pretty similar to past Wisconsin teams. Offensively, look like Pitt a little bit. Defensively, made a shift when Coach Andersen and still look like last year.

Q: You have a chance to pass Barry Alvarez in career victories. Is that just a number? KF: Yeah. He got there faster I'm sure didn't he? But to be in a group wit him, that would be an honor.

Q: Daniels not quite the same yet? KF: Hopefully we're getting there. I though he looked better in practice today so hopefully we're climbing the ladder.

Q: How do you get your guys ready to travel to Madison? KF: Good news is we got some experience traveling to Iowa State a couple weeks ago and have one tough road game under our belts. They have good fans. They know when to get rowdy and when to get loud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.