ADVERTISEMENT

--Kirk Ferentz & Tyler Barnes Signing Day Press Conference Notes--

Apr 8, 2003

--

Rough quotes and notes from Kirk Ferentz and Tyler Barnes

Kirk Ferentz Opening Statement

Just want to welcome everybody and talk about our bowl prep and the biggest thing is signing day. Then I'll turn it over to Tyler Barnes, our director of recruiting, and he'll be able to talk to you a little more about the class.

Our players have been focusing on academics mostly and we've just done a couple light workouts. Wanted to make sure to give them a break. Told the guys were only 1 of 10 teams to win 10 games here and can become 1 of only 5 teams to win 11. Also have a tremendous opportunity with a great bowl game and a great SEC opponent in Kentucky. Look forward to that.

We've had a couple player departures and one that decided to forgo his last game and declare for the NFL. Sign of the times, but we wish them nothing but the best moving forward.

In terms of recruiting, things don't change an awful lot overall. Our approach has always been to get to know the prospects and their families and coaches as well as we can to see if they are going to be a good fit. Then always want to make sure to get them on campus so they can get to know us and a feel for our program. This past year was interest, different than a year ago definitely, at least all of our recruits were able to get on campus. Thank goodness that opened up back in June. Then we've also been able to get out to schools last week and in homes and visit with people.

Our biggest asset continues to be when recruits visit Iowa City. Experience a game at Kinnick, the state of Iowa, and the campus here in Iowa City. Meeting with Liz Tovar and her staff, the counselors and advisors, and maybe most importantly spend time with our players. Feel really good about our class. To be a college football player, it takes a lot of hard work. It's a serious commitment. I feel like each of the 17 guys we signed today have embraced that challenge and look forward to getting here.

I want to compliment our staff, our support staff, and our players. Excited to have these guys and their families join us.

Q: Wanted to ask you about Xavier Nwankpa and the visit with him last Monday when he committed.

KF: That moment was pretty good as you might imagine. The process itself was long. We identified him a long time ago, didn't take much investigation because he jumps off the film. I was at the Prairie game this year, but had to leave early, saw later he blocked a field goal to win the game. That's the kind of player and young man he is. Really excited about his makeup, great family, and excited to have them join us. Last Monday was a real highlight when he almost accidentally told he was going to be a Hawkeye. Took some pressure off and made it a real enjoyable evening.

Q: How helpful has he been to help recruiting since he committed?

KF: We're thrilled to have him first and foremost. If he wants to take on some side jobs, I'm all for it. Our players sell the program better than anyone and Xavier has already helped with that.

Q: You've had several commits today. What do you attribute the late success and what is that experience like?

KF: First and foremost, we try to be patient. We move at a pace we thing is smart. When we offer, we try to run the race with a prospect. Sometimes you find out you're doing well, sometimes you're not. A couple of the guys that announced today we knew about that a little bit earlier, but we really do believe in running the full race. Koen Entringer is a good example. He was more of a soccer player. Grew up in Arizona when he was younger. New to football the last couple years and has done really well at it. He's a late developer and to me is a guy that has a world of potential. Olando Trader was a MAC commit. Watched him hard his senior year knowing corner was a need and that worked out. TJ Hall was committed to another school that had some turbulence. His dad played for Don Patterson at Western Illinois, so we had a tie in there and that worked out well. For us, we just try to be thorough and if we're not sure we try to make a decision that's a four year commitment.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.