ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz's buyout - manageable?

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
So . . . if I understand the buyout correctly, the University of Iowa's Athletic Department would owe Kirk Ferentz an additional $42M if he was terminated without cause at the end of this season. That written, the UI AD would not have to cut him a $42M check. The UI AD would continue to pay him approximately $500K/month through the end of the 2029 season. Make no mistake, paying $6M/year to someone who isn't coaching or doing anything for the UI AD isn't exactly "chump change" and it takes $6M away from non-revenue sports that could really use that money (upgrades to Banks Field!!!!)

With the caveat that I'm not yet in the "Iowa Needs to Terminate Kirk Ferentz" camp, I find it eminently fair to question whether the buy-out financially "forecloses" a decision to terminate Ferentz. Given that the new TV deal kicks in mid-2023 and B1G schools are looking at a significant increase in yearly conference revenues, it seems to follow that there would sufficient financial resources to "eat" a $6M/year liability on the balance sheet and that, before that new money is "spoken for," perhaps the end of the season would be a perfect time for that termination to occur.

From what I understand, Kirk's contract pays him yearly as follows:
$500,000 - base salary
$5,500,000 - supplemental pay
$1,000,000 - longevity bonus

That's $7M per year. If he is terminated, he is entitled to the base salary + supplemental pay through 2029. That's 7 years at $6M per year = $42M.

The average D1 college head coach probably makes in the $3M-$4M/year range (quick Google search; not warranting the accuracy of that number).

So:
Current yearly pay to head football coach: $7M/year
Terminate Kirk Ferentz ($6M payout) and hire a different head football coach ($3M - $4M): $9M - $10M/year

Assuming a new hire in the $3-$4M range, the UI AD is likely looking at taking a $2M - $3M hit in the budget through 2029 for head football coaching salary. Again, not chump change but eminently manageable given the significant bump in revenue anticipated via the new TV contract.

Thus, if a tough decision must be made to part ways with someone who has been a phenomenal ambassador for the Iowa football program and whose teams' achievements are as good as if not a tad better than Hayden Fry's teams, it would appear that the UI AD wouldn't suffer too greatly from a financial perspective.

Take it FWIW.

I dunno about staff changes and KF, I just recall many many yrs where either KOK or greg davis was on the hot seat {according to iowa fans} and nothing happened. he changes staff about as often as he does starting QB's.

Chance of Kirk getting fired, about 1%. Chance of him making staff changes, probably better than 50%. Chance of heavier use of the portal ---- 100%.
You think he’s going to use the portal? LOLOLOL. That ruins his narrative of being a developmental program. Not to mention who in their right mind would choose to come here unless they had no other place to go? He will do something worthless to appease the naive fans that are left. Like maybe bring in another consultant to help dipshit Brian, but nothing of substance.

I dunno about staff changes and KF, I just recall many many yrs where either KOK or greg davis was on the hot seat {according to iowa fans} and nothing happened. he changes staff about as often as he does starting QB's.
no offense that was THIS BAD, and when the guy in charge is your SON...recruits and their parents will 100% take that into considering.

simply from a recruiting POV, BF MUST be fired. He's damaged his name so much now that even a demotion is probably not a good option!

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
no offense that was THIS BAD, and when the guy in charge is your SON...recruits and their parents will 100% take that into considering.

simply from a recruiting POV, BF MUST be fired. He's damaged his name so much now that even a demotion is probably not a good option!
yes i agree but it still changes nothing. I wouldn't put it past these guys to win out and get a bowl and say nothing was ever wrong and move on. they will just say, "that's football", and act like all the fans on message boards are insane or something

They'll get at least $50 million (probably a lot more, I have no idea what it is this year) in media rights money this year. I know they have the rest of the athletic department to fund but even with that they shouldn't have too many issues paying it off. Particularly if they spread it out over a few seasons.

You think he’s going to use the portal? LOLOLOL. That ruins his narrative of being a developmental program. Not to mention who in their right mind would choose to come here unless they had no other place to go? He will do something worthless to appease the naive fans that are left. Like maybe bring in another consultant to help dipshit Brian, but nothing of substance.
We have used it before. Even before it we had grad transfers.

Hey, I have an idea. How about take that money and buy top line offensive line coach. Take some more and buy an OC. If the money is coming from boosters, then take that money instead and buy a receiver or two, a couple of tackles and dare I say a QB. All of that is cheaper than buying out a contract. You buy a coach out when the coach shows that he can no longer run a competent program, which is not the case here. KF is running a great program, they are just not executing with the personnel that they have.

So . . . if I understand the buyout correctly, the University of Iowa's Athletic Department would owe Kirk Ferentz an additional $42M if he was terminated without cause at the end of this season. That written, the UI AD would not have to cut him a $42M check. The UI AD would continue to pay him approximately $500K/month through the end of the 2029 season. Make no mistake, paying $6M/year to someone who isn't coaching or doing anything for the UI AD isn't exactly "chump change" and it takes $6M away from non-revenue sports that could really use that money (upgrades to Banks Field!!!!)

With the caveat that I'm not yet in the "Iowa Needs to Terminate Kirk Ferentz" camp, I find it eminently fair to question whether the buy-out financially "forecloses" a decision to terminate Ferentz. Given that the new TV deal kicks in mid-2023 and B1G schools are looking at a significant increase in yearly conference revenues, it seems to follow that there would sufficient financial resources to "eat" a $6M/year liability on the balance sheet and that, before that new money is "spoken for," perhaps the end of the season would be a perfect time for that termination to occur.

$500,000 - base salary

That's $7M per year. If he is terminated, he is entitled to the base salary + supplemental pay through 2029. That's 7 years at $6M per year = $42M.

The average D1 college head coach probably makes in the $3M-$4M/year range (quick Google search; not warranting the accuracy of that number).

So:
Terminate Kirk Ferentz ($6M payout) and hire a different head football coach ($3M - $4M): $9M - $10M/year

Assuming a new hire in the $3-$4M range, the UI AD is likely looking at taking a $2M - $3M hit in the budget through 2029 for head football coaching salary. Again, not chump change but eminently manageable given the significant bump in revenue anticipated via the new TV contract.

Thus, if a tough decision must be made to part ways with someone who has been a phenomenal ambassador for the Iowa football program and whose teams' achievements are as good as if not a tad better than Hayden Fry's teams, it would appear that the UI AD wouldn't suffer too greatly from a financial perspective.

Take it FWIW.
Kirk gets paid either way. It should not be a reason not to move on from this staff. Can Barta select a new coach?

I don't want him fired. I do however want his tentacles off of the offense completely outside of OL work.

3-4 more years and he steps down anyway. Question is, do we miss a hiring window on our main targets as that is pretty important.

Reactions: nelly02
Hey, I have an idea. How about take that money and buy top line offensive line coach. Take some more and buy an OC. If the money is coming from boosters, then take that money instead and buy a receiver or two, a couple of tackles and dare I say a QB. All of that is cheaper than buying out a contract. You buy a coach out when the coach shows that he can no longer run a competent program, which is not the case here. KF is running a great program, they are just not executing with the personnel that they have.
It is a great idea and I'd like some of what you are smoking. Making staff changes means you are admitting a mistake which I don't see KF doing. Iowa has Proctor coming so there is help there. WR? QB? NFW, this offense is not meant to be learned in a day. No backyard football don't you know.

You do know we’ve used the transfer portal before, right?

Admittedly, not as aggressively as us fans think he should have, but it’s not like he pretends it doesn’t exist.

$500,000 - base salary

So:

Take it FWIW.
Go a head and find a good couch for 3-4 million, lol

I don’t want to see Kirk Ferentz fired at Iowa. I do think it’s time for him to step aside/agree to a fair buyout for both sides and move on. He’s done a lot for Iowa football and it’s been a helluva ride, but it’s time.

It would be a shame if "forced termination" ends Kirk's run as the Iowa head football coach. Time has a tendency to fog memories and the end of Hayden's tenure was not particularly pleasant. The game had passed him by and I have on strong authority that he was calling plays for players that were no longer on the roster (Do you remember the frequency of delay of game penalties?). There is no question in my mind that Hayden hung on too long. That written, time has essentially erased those bad times and Hayden is nothing but a revered figure in Iowa's history books. (It's not endemic to Iowa . . . same thing happened with Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden - it is hard to terminate an iconic coach)

The point of my original post was relatively simple - the amount of extra money being shelled out on a yearly basis to Iowa head football coach(es) by terminating Kirk wouldn't be cost prohibitive.

Chance of Kirk getting fired, about 1%. Chance of him making staff changes, probably better than 50%. Chance of heavier use of the portal ---- 100%.
Updated realistic numbers:

Kirk Fired- 0%
Brian Fired- 0%
Barnett Fired- 80% (To save Brian)
Chance Brian is demoted to OL coach- <5%
"HEAVIER" use of the transfer portal- <10%
More notes on Notepad- 100%
Heavier gum chewing- 100%
More "that's football"- 100%

It's easily manageable. Brian, you are fired. Kirk you are hiring X who is bringing in his offensive system.

Kirk would make the decision for you at that point.
In a perfect world, this would be the scenario. Make KF make the tough decision. He either is forced to accept change or he leaves on his own accord and the buyout is a non-factor

Reactions: bowlhawk
I don’t want to see Kirk Ferentz fired at Iowa. I do think it’s time for him to step aside/agree to a fair buyout for both sides and move on. He’s done a lot for Iowa football and it’s been a helluva ride, but it’s time.
The problem is Kirk never knows when it's time...he only makes a change or adjustment after things have bottomed out. "Proactive" is not in his dictionary. He'll burn up a significant portion of the good will he's built over the years (and he's built a lot) before he steps down.

For the good of the program and Iowa. I would hope that Kirk would renegotiate his buyout and settle for a significantly less amount than that. Fry chose to step down when it became clear he no longer had the drive.

Go a head and find a good couch for 3-4 million, lol

I spent less than $10,000 for the couches that we have at our house and we love them!

In all seriousness . . .
Chris Klieman's deal at KSU - 3.5M; 4.3M; 4.3M; 4.3M
Bret Bielema's deal at Illinois - 4.2M; 4.3M; 4.4M; 4.5M; 4.6M; 4.7M
Matt Campbell's deal at ISU - 4.0M/year
Neal Brown's deal at WVU - 3.75M/year
PJ Fleck's deal at Minnesota - 4M/year
Paul Chryst's former deal at Wisconsin - 5.25M/year
Jeff Brohm's deal at Purdue - 4.8M/year
Greg Schiano's deal at Rutgers - 4M/year

Educate us . . . what current high priced college football coach would Iowa lure away from a current gig?

All of you trust Barta to do the things that need to be done? I don’t.

Barta needs to retire so a new AD comes in and tells KF how it is going to be under his regime…Brian is out, Barrett is out, KF can stay on as HC if he wants not he is welcome to retire or he can be part of the process to bring in an OC that will bring the offense into the 21st century.

where are we buying all this? Amazon?

I tend to think that if Barta doesnt fire BF then he may be putting himself on the chopping block. If thats true I would think he would fire BF...Well I mean reassign him for the sake of KF.

It is a great idea and I'd like some of what you are smoking. Making staff changes means you are admitting a mistake which I don't see KF doing. Iowa has Proctor coming so there is help there. WR? QB? NFW, this offense is not meant to be learned in a day. No backyard football don't you know.
You can think that but if I were to give anyone any advice it would be to George Barnett to not get too comfortable.

$500,000 - base salary

So:

Take it FWIW.
I feel like this discussion is soooooo Nebraska-like.

It's easily manageable. Brian, you are fired. Kirk you are hiring X who is bringing in his offensive system.

Kirk would make the decision for you at that point.
I tend to agree. This approach is preferrable because it would result in a (somewhat) amicable parting where Kirk is rightfully honored by the University for his career.

1. President Wilson terminates Barta
2. New AD hired
3. New AD terminates Brian (or he probably leaves voluntarily)
4. New AD implements standards and guidelines for the football program and retains veto power over the selection of new OC.

At this point, Ferentz has to feel pinched. Brian gone/ a new boss/ a new OC essentially chosen by the new AD/ new guidelines and expecttions. I think he hangs it up - Kirk resigns with a much smaller retirement "buyout", the University puts his name on a building and scholarship fund, and the next head coach is announced weeks later.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
A program that is incapable of getting personnel that can execute is by definition not a great program.

I tend to agree. This approach is preferrable because it would result in a (somewhat) amicable parting where Kirk is rightfully honored by the University for his career.

1. President Wilson terminates Barta
2. New AD hired
3. New AD terminates Brian (or he probably leaves voluntarily)
4. New AD implements standards and guidelines for the football program and retains veto power over the selection of new OC.

At this point, Ferentz has to feel pinched. Brian gone/ a new boss/ a new OC essentially chosen by the new AD/ new guidelines and expecttions. I think he hangs it up - Kirk resigns with a much smaller retirement "buyout", the University puts his name on a building and scholarship fund, and the next head coach is announced weeks later.
This x 1,000,000!

I tend to think that if Barta doesnt fire BF then he may be putting himself on the chopping block. If thats true I would think he would fire BF...Well I mean reassign him for the sake of KF.
Barta didn't hire Brian. Barta doesn't manage Brian. Barta doesn't evaluate Brian. Barta doesn't determine Brian's compensation. Barta can't fire Brian. Enough with this nonsense.

Reactions: IAHUNTER
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT