ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz's buyout - manageable?

It would be a shame if "forced termination" ends Kirk's run as the Iowa head football coach.
A "shame?" How so? KF Family Football has milked its fans for tens of millions of dollars for well over 20 years. Why all the tears and angst for a multimillionaire football coach? I would humbly suggest saving those for the homeless, the starving, and the victims of war and authoritarian regimes at home and around the world.

A "shame"? If KF weren't such an arrogant, stubborn, conservative old man Iowa football would be thriving and no one would be having these conversations. If KF had put Iowa football ahead of his son's career, nobody would be having these conversations. The shame, in the context of college football, is that KF has never understood that offense is legal and, in fact, necessary to the game. He has tolerated it from those backyard types like Brad Banks and Drew Tate and Ricky Stanzi and CJ Beathard, but he didn't like it.

Turning Iowa football into a national laughingstock has one author--Kirk Ferentz. The real "shame" is that nobody who can do something about it will.

Lets see if Ferments is really the great ambassador that has fooled MANY for 23 years now....Herm Edwards was fired at ASU but agreed to take only 50% of his guaranteed money....this should be the perfect benchmark to see what our own "great humanatarian" is willing to do. Free advise....don't hold your breath.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Barta didn't hire Brian. Barta doesn't manage Brian. Barta doesn't evaluate Brian. Barta doesn't determine Brian's compensation. Barta can't fire Brian. Enough with this nonsense.
Im sure you know that on paper Barta controls BF position. Yes, KF backchannels the whole thing but my point is that if Barta doesn't fire BF im not sure he has a job after it all anyway. So what is there to lose?

A "shame?" How so? KF Family Football has milked its fans for tens of millions of dollars for well over 20 years. Why all the tears and angst for a multimillionaire football coach? I would humbly suggest saving those for the homeless, the starving, and the victims of war and authoritarian regimes at home and around the world.

A "shame"? If KF weren't such an arrogant, stubborn, conservative old man Iowa football would be thriving and no one would be having these conversations. If KF had put Iowa football ahead of his son's career, nobody would be having these conversations. The shame, in the context of college football, is that KF has never understood that offense is legal and, in fact, necessary to the game. He has tolerated it from those backyard types like Brad Banks and Drew Tate and Ricky Stanzi and CJ Beathard, but he didn't like it.

Turning Iowa football into a national laughingstock has one author--Kirk Ferentz. The real "shame" is that nobody who can do something about it will.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
early candidate for post of the day

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Many here believe Barta lacks the courage to fire BF. Or that he will simply kick the can down the road so he won't have to make a hard decision.

I disagree.

The amount of courage required to NOT fire BF is possessed by few people. The outcry will be unlike anything we've ever heard coming from the public in regards to the FB program. Barb Wilson will be hearing it nonstop. Barta's own future will be in grave jeopardy, and I honestly don't think he could survive it.

Sure, you ask, "Why didn't he fire him last year?". Well, because the team was 63-25 over the previous 7 seasons.

Then you ask, "Why won't he fire him now?' IDK. Perhaps only because it won't help this team and it will embarrass KF.

Of course, I'm not 100% convinced he will fire him. But the storm will make the derecho look like a gentle breeze. I don't know anyone that can stand up to that.

Im sure you know that on paper Barta controls BF position. Yes, KF backchannels the whole thing but my point is that if Barta doesn't fire BF im not sure he has a job after it all anyway. So what is there to lose
Paper means nothing. He has almost no role with respect to Brian and he certainly can't demote or fire him without Kirk's consent. Anyone suggesting otherwise is living in fantasyland.

Paper means nothing. He has almost no role with respect to Brian and he certainly can't demote or fire him without Kirk's consent. Anyone suggesting otherwise is living in fantasyland.
So you are saying that if he fills out the paperwork and calls BF, KF and the president of the university and says that BF is fired for performance, nothing would happen? Right. Look, Bartas job will be on the line here if he doesnt. No way he survives the shitstorm if he doesnt.

So you are saying that if he fills out the paperwork and calls BF, KF and the president of the university and says that BF is fired for performance, nothing would happen? Right.
What I am saying is that the paperwork doesn't get started by anyone except Kirk. I'm not sure how to make this any clearer.

The sad part of the story is that Iowa has pretty good or better defense and special teams. All Kirk has to do is to develop an acceptable or average offense to succeed. It should not be that hard to do.

I can just hear the conversation:

Barta: "Say Kirk,...uh, Mr. Ferentz, I was just wondering if you have time to have a discussion about the football team? No, no, no, I think you are doing a wonderful job. I thought maybe we could talk a bit about the offense. No, of course I think Brian is a great coach. I just thought that maybe some tweaks could be made to maybe "modernize" the offensive schemes a bit. Yes, of course I know you won ten games a year ago and we're all so proud of that. It's just that this year there seems to be something lacking on the field. No, you're right, I'm not at every practice and I hear Spencer is just killing it. Well, I just stopped by to tell you what a great job you and Brian are doing. Give me a call if you need anything. Sorry to bother you."

Reactions: Rustys Dad
At the current rate, he won't meet the required wins - if that's the case that "should" be an out for Iowa to say "thanks KF, go spend time with the grandkids."

It would be a shame if "forced termination" ends Kirk's run as the Iowa head football coach. Time has a tendency to fog memories and the end of Hayden's tenure was not particularly pleasant. The game had passed him by and I have on strong authority that he was calling plays for players that were no longer on the roster (Do you remember the frequency of delay of game penalties?). There is no question in my mind that Hayden hung on too long. That written, time has essentially erased those bad times and Hayden is nothing but a revered figure in Iowa's history books. (It's not endemic to Iowa . . . same thing happened with Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden - it is hard to terminate an iconic coach)

The point of my original post was relatively simple - the amount of extra money being shelled out on a yearly basis to Iowa head football coach(es) by terminating Kirk wouldn't be cost prohibitive.
I had the chance to talk with him briefly at a political event in 1999 and he seemed sharp to me. Then he got up and gave a speech (no prompter or paper) for a political candidate and was also sharp as hell for that. Maybe it was just a good day for him.

Kirk won’t be fired. He will make staff adjustments…Now, the question is who becomes our next OC and does allow that new OC to “coach.”

My guess is the OL coach will be gone. I think Brian will either demote to OL or leave for an analyst job in the NFL.

For the best interest of Kirk, Brian, and fans … Brian needs to leave the program.

Bring in new OC… expect player departures… hit the transfer portal hard for linemen and a QB … and receivers … and let the new OC roll the dice …

And let Parker continue to be his bad-ass self at DC…

Kirk won’t be fired. He will make staff adjustments…Now, the question is who becomes our next OC and does allow that new OC to “coach.”

My guess is the OL coach will be gone. I think Brian will either demote to OL or leave for an analyst job in the NFL.

For the best interest of Kirk, Brian, and fans … Brian needs to leave the program.

Bring in new OC… expect player departures… hit the transfer portal hard for linemen and a QB … and receivers … and let the new OC roll the dice …

And let Parker continue to be his bad-ass self at DC…
If its just the system, how come Northwestern's isn't working either? It is supposedly a modern system with a great coach.

I can just hear the conversation:

Barta: "Say Kirk,...uh, Mr. Ferentz, I was just wondering if you have time to have a discussion about the football team? No, no, no, I think you are doing a wonderful job. I thought maybe we could talk a bit about the offense. No, of course I think Brian is a great coach. I just thought that maybe some tweaks could be made to maybe "modernize" the offensive schemes a bit. Yes, of course I know you won ten games a year ago and we're all so proud of that. It's just that this year there seems to be something lacking on the field. No, you're right, I'm not at every practice and I hear Spencer is just killing it. Well, I just stopped by to tell you what a great job you and Brian are doing. Give me a call if you need anything. Sorry to bother you."
Ha.. this is good…

Note: I do wish someone would “coach” Kirk to stop making references to his 2003 team…or his 2010 team …. Or … Today is today Kirk and nobody wants to hear about the struggles or accomplishments for a team from 10-20 years ago…

ADVERTISEMENT