ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk had better stick with Petras all season now

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

HR Heisman
Apr 17, 2002
He did exactly what I thought he would do. Kirk threw away our season & a rivalry game to prove that Petras was the answer.

When Spencer obviously wasn’t.

He had better ride Petras out for the season now even if that means a 2 or 3 win season.

I’ll even lose more respect for Ferentz than I already have if he decides to do the right thing now & bench Petras.

The thing is, he probably is the best QB we have to offer in this system. Which is a damning indictment. There was no reason to believe he'd be substantially better in year 3 given his track record, and KF made him the unquestioned starter.

When Kirk decided to do that, given the in-season limitations on time with players per the NCAA rules, he locked himself and this program into riding SP until the end. Brian built this offense around Spencer and his strengths, and it is not a system that they can easily change - its not exactly a 12-16 play spread air raid type system. It also limited growth and development for the other quarterbacks with the starters on this football team because they got very few reps with the 1's.

Personally, I hope he does ride with SP and that we don't go to a bowl this year so that there is political pressure for him to resign or to remove him from responsibilities on the offense as HC, and to remove Brian as offensive coordinator.

He did exactly what I thought he would do. Kirk threw away our season & a rivalry game to prove that Petras was the answer.

He had better ride Petras out for the season now even if that means a 2 or 3 win season.

I’ll even lose more respect for Ferentz than I already have if he decides to do the right thing now & bench Petras.
I can only imagine how bad the crowd will be if Petras is in the huddle Saturday.

2 or 3 wins? Who will we beat?

Looking forward to the “should you boo a college player?” convo when Spencer is trotted out as the starter next Saturday.

Yes. When he had a clean pocket, he literally overthrew receivers into the stands multiple times.

So it’s Spencer who brought the fans into this convo.

• Haha
Reactions: Kurt Warner
He'd better ride out the season as-is? Since AD Barta has given Kirk total leverage with such an absurd extended contract and low-bar for achieving bonuses, he has zero pressure to make any changes he feels (attitude) he does not want. He is trying to groom Brian for head-coach...and has given him no challenges per coaches around him (including analysts help). So a losing season will not alter Kirk's behavior one bit because there is no fear of losing anything financially.

There is one non-conference game left. Nevada is the perfect time to make some change that takes the hot-seat off of Petra who doesn't deserve to be the scapegoat for whatever is going on with the Kirk/Brian offensive QB decisions.

The pressure of actual games is not working. Most cases, practice dictates game execution. If what Kirk says is true...then at Press Conference the questions need to zero in on Kirk as to why Petras is unable to execute in games? Do not let Kirk off the hook with his "it' everything around QB that needs to improve" narrative. Yes that is true...but everyone with any common sense can see when QB is not executing nor leading by example....QB is the one position that has to be evaluated to a higher standard. Why not at this point put in some packages for each QB (including 3rd teamer) to see who executes...again Nevada would be perfect testing ground.

I thought Padilla out performed Petras in the short span he was allowed to play. He was not perfect....but he did some nice things and had some quck feet and release the ball with zip (some drops by receiver contributed to what should have been a higher completion %). He should have gotten bowl reps...by Kirk did not want to allow that to stress point that Petras was still in his favor.....that's it end of story....don't ask cause Kirk says so.

It's hard to agree with the "SP is the best we got" narrative. Maybe in practice and film study, saying the right things, etc. But Padilla and Labas cant be this awful on gameday. I actually want to see what they can do this year...with this year's current unit. That's all I'm asking

If they suck...cool. its no better or worse than what we got now

I'm hoping for a 2-10 season at this point. It's the only way any meaningful change might happen.

Kirk doesn't know what he has got because he hasn't seen Labas or Padilla get any game action. I would like to think that they have some run ability to do some creative options, say a quarterback option or Iowa has an athlete that could perform a wildcat play.
SP limits the offensive scheme and BF is a predictable OC. A combination that has resulted in the debacle since the Penn State game. Iowa is 5 and 5 over the last ten games. It is 1 and 3 over the last 4 games, all games SP was the starter.
When you are the worst offense in FBS there is nothing to lose by making a dramatic shift.

It's hard to agree with the "SP is the best we got" narrative. Maybe in practice and film study, saying the right things, etc. But Padilla and Labas cant be this awful on gameday. I actually want to see what they can do this year...with this year's current unit. That's all I'm asking

If they suck...cool. its no better or worse than what we got now
This made me think about people who rise in corporations not because they are good at what they do but because they talk a good game. I’ve seen it over and over in the 20+ years in NYC where talkers are rewarded exponentially greater than producers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT