ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk must not have taken any statistics; he wrecked his own logic

Crazy since the offense only scored 24 or more points 3 times this past season. And 2 of those games the offense got the ball with 50 or fewer yards to go for one of the scoring drives that helped them get to the 24 point line. The 3rd game required a 51 yard scoring drive.

So basically, if we have to drive at least 60 yards and the other team isn’t turning over the ball we aren’t scoring 24.

The one point I’ll give Kirk is that the poor line play, along with the injuries at the receiver position, made it near-impossible to string positive plays together and sustain longer drives together.

Where I find fault with his logic and explanation is the inability by the coaches to make adjustments at all.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Crazy since the offense only scored 24 or more points 3 times this past season. And 2 of those games the offense got the ball with 50 or fewer yards to go for one of the scoring drives that helped them get to the 24 point line. The 3rd game required a 51 yard scoring drive.

So basically, if we have to drive at least 60 yards and the other team isn’t turning over the ball we aren’t scoring 24.
Yeah Wisconsin game one of the most deceiving games ever for an offense getting credited for 24 pts. A day they had 146 yards. Tds drives were-
17 yards after blocked punt
Pick 6 by cooper
18 yards after Cooper punt return
Fg drive 27 yards after turnover on downs

I guess one thing I’ll give them credit for they actually executed in the red zone which was a struggle in most of the other games.

Yeah Wisconsin game one of the most deceiving games ever for an offense getting credited for 24 pts. A day they had 146 yards. Tds drives were-
17 yards after blocked punt
Pick 6 by cooper
18 yards after Cooper punt return
Fg drive 27 yards after turnover on downs

I guess one thing I’ll give them credit for they actually executed in the red zone which was a struggle in most of the other games.

That’s also something that they REALLY need to improve as well, their red zone efficiency. Especially in games where yards are hard to come by, last year and a half they had a difficult time scoring when they had opportunities.

They beat Illinois if they got touchdowns instead of field goals for example.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
You may have read Kirk's quote below in bold from the recent presser. Kirk throws out these stats without thinking of what he is saying. He talks about the record when his team scores 24 points a game but at the same time he knows in 2022 his team only scored 17.8 pts per game. It is just not good to score that little and go 8-5 with such a great defense.

I wonder what kind of deviation pattern his offensive scoring is by season?

Kirk, your job should be to have better offensive goals and achieve them. I used to think "only if Kirk's teams could score 31 pts a game" and when they did that they had some amazing teams. So I would say the offensive goals should be something like 1. greater than 3.7 yards per carry (4+ would be better), 2. a 50% decline in rushes for loss, 3. a large decline in QB pressures and sacks, 4. much improved pass completion percentage at 66% and yards per pass, and 5. 60% red zone TD rate.

So do whatever you have to do to scheme and coach your way to achieve this.

Reporters Question I believe: What would you say to fans who want sweeping changes?

“I'll share a stat with you. When we score 24 points, do you want to venture a guess at our record the last (eight) years?” Ferentz posed, before answering it. “Yeah, it's 55-3, which I think everybody would take that. But nobody likes the 24. That's where the rub really is, in my opinion. I'm more focused on the winning, me personally."
A few comments ...

Firstly, Kirk's academic background is English ... so I wouldn't expect him to be a whiz as it relates to stats.

However, that said, despite Kirk's own quantitative short-comings ... Kirk has always valued quantitative analysis. The Hawks have long collected, compiled, and analyzed all sorts of analytics. Kirk has made sure that he had support-staff that handled those facets for the program ... and the very backbone of the program is the S&C staff ... folks whom have been implementing data-driven/informed work-out strategies in order to help the program eke out advantages wherever they can.

Kirk's point about the the number 24 has more to say for the fact that Iowa's style of play makes it such that the bar doesn't have to be too high for the team to still have a remarkable win percentage. The context of his comment wasn't ignoring our poor scoring average this season.

Lastly, almost all of the goals you highlighted are ones shared by Kirk ... and all the highlighted ones are almost directly attributable to our blocking-issues as a team (particularly on the OL). If you've paid attention to ANY of Kirk's interviews of late ... he's been taking ownership of the those issues AND has emphasized that better line play would go a long ways to changing/improving Iowa's offensive production. He's not wrong. The primary gist of your observations are on point too ... although you're not saying/suggesting anything that Kirk hasn't himself.

You may have read Kirk's quote below in bold from the recent presser. Kirk throws out these stats without thinking of what he is saying. He talks about the record when his team scores 24 points a game but at the same time he knows in 2022 his team only scored 17.8 pts per game. It is just not good to score that little and go 8-5 with such a great defense.

Kirk, your job should be to have better offensive goals and achieve them. I used to think "only if Kirk's teams could score 31 pts a game" and when they did that they had some amazing teams. So I would say the offensive goals should be something like 1. greater than 3.7 yards per carry (4+ would be better), 2. a 50% decline in rushes for loss, 3. a large decline in QB pressures and sacks, 4. much improved pass completion percentage at 66% and yards per pass, and 5. 60% red zone TD rate.

Reporters Question I believe: What would you say to fans who want sweeping changes?

“I'll share a stat with you. When we score 24 points, do you want to venture a guess at our record the last (eight) years?” Ferentz posed, before answering it. “Yeah, it's 55-3, which I think everybody would take that. But nobody likes the 24. That's where the rub really is, in my opinion. I'm more focused on the winning, me personally."
His point went right over your head. He stated that knowing the team missed the mark of 24.

If just the offensive would of scored 23 points per game this past season and no scoring from the defense or special teams they would of went 10-3. The defense scored 3.5 per game.

Actually the offense only scored 14.2 points per game. The offense has to improve by 10 points (70%) to reach that goal of 24. I hope they can do that.

In BF six years of being the OC when the team's offense scored 23 points they are 34-1. But that mark of the offense scoring 23 points keeps dropping.
2022 3x, 2021 5x, 2020 6x, 2019 6x, 2018 8x, 2017 7x.

I'm hoping that the power of the portal/
transfers has gotten through to KF. The reality of college football. NIL seems to be part of the plan to stay relevant.

Kirk has a similar theory. His whole game plan is to prevent the other team from getting them.
Well Greg Davis when at Texas had receivers who could more often get more open and make a defender miss and get a big gain.

Kirk's similar theory is yes prevent the other team from scoring so much by limiting possessions BUT Kirk plans for his defense to score and give very short fields to the offense.

His point went right over your head. He stated that knowing the team missed the mark of 24.

If just the offensive would of scored 23 points per game this past season and no scoring from the defense or special teams they would of went 10-3. The defense scored 3.5 per game.

Actually the offense only scored 14.2 points per game. The offense has to improve by 10 points (70%) to reach that goal of 24. I hope they can do that.

In BF six years of being the OC when the team's offense scored 23 points they are 34-1. But that mark of the offense scoring 23 points keeps dropping.
2022 3x, 2021 5x, 2020 6x, 2019 6x, 2018 8x, 2017 7x.

I'm hoping that the power of the portal/
transfers has gotten through to KF. The reality of college football. NIL seems to be part of the plan to stay relevant.
I will say that I did not read the whole presser transcript but from what I understand and read Kirk surely did not mention the poor record when the hawks score less that 24 points, nor did he mention how many times, a lot times, that it happens.

So that again is why his logic is bad.

I will say that I did not read the whole presser transcript but from what I understand and read Kirk surely did not mention the poor record when the hawks score less that 24 points, nor did he mention how many times, a lot times, that it happens.

KF likes to clap back with selective stats that make his point but his retorts when presented with the opposite side of the argument are comical at best. He is like a politician that lives in an alternative reality when it comes to the real world regarding his son’s job performance and defending it. KF’s going to win the war but how many fans is he going to lose while losing these battles.

Reactions: HoyaGoon and blhawk
KF likes to clap back with selective stats that make his point but his retorts when presented with the opposite side of the argument are comical at best. He is like a politician that lives in an alternative reality when it comes to the real world regarding his son’s job performance and defending it. KF’s going to win the war but how many fans is he going to lose while losing these battles.
That's the thing. For years fans would give him a pass. But KF is getting more and more snarky with the media, who still aren't that tough but have actually been pressing him more lately on certain topics, and slowly but surely there are fans he's starting to lose. Press conferences all year and especially last week rubs fans the wrong way and the lengths he will go to defend his son are hurting him. I know plenty over last few years who are still Iowa fans and were big KF supporters but are ready to move on from him.

Reactions: hoythawk
I think this speaks for itself...

CDJ and X had more TDs (4) than our entire WR group all year (3)
KM and JE had 3 fumble recovery for TDs.... same # as our WRs

The offense was that pathetic. There really isn't a word to describe how bad it was

Kirk Ferentz:

7a58dl.jpg

but when you go back to 2015 and look at the last 8 seasons, and not just last season....

Check out the tweet below. So, that's an average of 5 games/season over the last 8 seasons where we scored 23 or fewer points

so, this isn't a one season issue; it's been ongoing....

Where do our wins rank overall during that time versus all other Power 5 teams? Most of the negative persons on here seem to think we would be 40th among Power 5 in total wins over that period. From what I recall its in the teens. Pretty f-ing good in my opinion. Could always be better yes, but let's first say what we had was pretty damn good and not like Kirk is some giant dufus that totally sucks at coaching football.

Where do our wins rank overall during that time versus all other Power 5 teams? Most of the negative persons on here seem to think we would be 40th among Power 5 in total wins over that period. From what I recall its in the teens. Pretty f-ing good in my opinion. Could always be better yes, but let's first say what we had was pretty damn good and not like Kirk is some giant dufus that totally sucks at coaching football.
If you are running a big corporation like John Deere. Profits are high. But lets say you have one division that is the one that keeps operating in the red. Do you just ignore it and say well overall we are doing great so things are good? Or do you try and make it profitable and just as strong as the other ones? On top of it if a certain manager has been in charge of the division operating at a loss isn't that a good place to start making the changes?

Point is yes Iowa has been good but with the talent and performance by the D and ST they could have been and can be even better if they fix the offense. Nothing wrong with Iowa fans wanting and expecting shots at conference titles and for wanting to be even better than above avg. and playing in championship games more than 2x since we went to division play in 11'.

If you are running a big corporation like John Deere. Profits are high. But lets say you have one division that is the one that keeps operating in the red. Do you just ignore it and say well overall we are doing great so things are good? Or do you try and make it profitable and just as strong as the other ones? On top of it if a certain manager has been in charge of the division operating at a loss isn't that a good place to start making the changes?

Point is yes Iowa has been good but with the talent and performance by the D and ST they could have been and can be even better if they fix the offense. Nothing wrong with Iowa fans wanting and expecting shots at conference titles and for wanting to be even better than above avg. and playing in championship games more than 2x since we went to division play in 11'.
Natty every year or fire everyone! Say we got to where we ranked # 8 in wins, you would still say hey we can do better and if Kirk won't fire him! I guarantee you none of the people who state this sort of thing practice this in their daily lives.

I want you to go your wife and say honey I need you to lose 20 pounds, I know you are great right now but you would even be greater 20 pounds lighter! I mean being healthy leads to a longer life so just looking out for ya.

• Haha
To answer your question, I do not think the offense did that at all last year especially if you say where they started their drives on their own side of the 50.
On a couple of podcasts I listen to, the hosts have made mention of a stat that tracks an offense's production as a function of total possible yardage where scoring a TD on offense counts as 100% for that drive, regardless of where on the field that drive started. So, if a team had an offensive production of 100, it means they scored TDs on every drive. I'm not sure how FGs are tracked. I am also not sure of WHERE this stat is tracked, so if anyone here knows of a website(s) where this is kept, that would be awesome.

The one point I’ll give Kirk is that the poor line play, along with the injuries at the receiver position, made it near-impossible to string positive plays together and sustain longer drives together.

Where I find fault with his logic and explanation is the inability by the coaches to make adjustments at all.
I think the Oline aspect of this is particularly egregious. Iowa's line in 2021 was bad, and it was obviously so. And it was young, there has been a ton of attrition among the "senior" classes (2018 and 2019) that should have been the nucleus of the 2021 and 2022 teams. Despite this, Iowa made zero moves in the portal after the 2021 season to try and shore up the Oline. Add to that, we were losing our far-and-away best player on the line, Linderbaum. So the net effect going into 2022 was significantly negative. And that is on the coaches to not have addressed the issue before 2022.

Frankly, I'm not sure they've done much to expect things to be significantly better next season. Feth seems like a decent enough player, but I don't think he's anything more than a replacement-level B1G player. Which is still better than half our options, but rather telling. And I think there is a TON of wishcasting going on with regard to Parker. He's a D-2 player making a huge jump who had absolutely no P5 interest outside of UVA (as a resident of Virginia, I can assure this is not something to be celebrated). He's facing a steep learning curve, and he only has this next season to play since he only has 1 year of eligibility remaining.

I had mentioned at the old GIA site during the season that it didnt' look like the coaches had a plan or knew how to fix the Oline in 2023 and beyond other than throwing in Proctor immediately like we did with Wirfs and hope that others develop significantly. And they do not appear to have had a backup plan in place when they lost Proctor (I am not blaming the coaches for "losing" him). and I think they are sort of scrambling now. But it's a case of too little, too late for next year.

Natty every year or fire everyone! Say we got to where we ranked # 8 in wins, you would still say hey we can do better and if Kirk won't fire him! I guarantee you none of the people who state this sort of thing practice this in their daily lives.

I want you to go your wife and say honey I need you to lose 20 pounds, I know you are great right now but you would even be greater 20 pounds lighter! I mean being healthy leads to a longer life so just looking out for ya.
Absolutely no way am i saying that to the wife(no pics). She doesn't need to lose 20 lbs and my couch is really uncomfortable.

Let’s look at baseball. Iowa’s defense is the pitching staff who constantly takes a 1 to 0 loss after giving up a run in the 14th inning. No need to look at the team’s batters (Iowa’s offense).

Did I say natty every year or fire everyone? I said we can do better because there is a glaring deficiency in one facet of the team that is clearly not caring it's weight but they get a pass because the other 2 are so good. Just imagine how much better the results would be with any type of improvement. Just think in any profession you ranked in the bottom 5% of your field one year then dropping to the bottom 1% the next year. Where literally 99% of your competitors are better than you. Most people lose their jobs or are demoted. But then you say let's bring that guy back running that area for another go around... Not a formula for success.

For the record if you did work in the business world, which by your response clearly you have not, you realize this stuff happens every where from mom and pop to giant name brand stores. Trying to improve your bottom line any way you can with sectors that are struggling, losing money or even increasing profits in others that are successful. It's about not being complacent, Economics 101. I guess some people strive to continue to be better than others like yourself or complacent with being avg. Which btw huge difference in your analogy of losing weight in a personal goal that effects no one compared to business and college football worlds where millions of dollars are at stake and one where our incompetent OC is getting paid nearly $1 million a year to be the bottom 1% at his job. But thank goodness daddy keeps him around because he hired other people around him who actually know how to do their jobs at a high level.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I expect Parker will be up to snuff by the season. He's got the ability to be a big tackle and going against our dline guys should get him improved but at what rate? I'm hopeful he will more than pan out. Feth is going to be an improvement whichever position he ends up as. Gaurd or center. Does Jones make a big jump and we see 3/5ths of our line suddenly stout? Stehens is one of my favorites. He made young player mistakes last year but was improving as the season went on. Also has a mean streak like Parker has. I would even go out on a limb and say that as bad as the line was can be great motivation to improve. I really think they are the key to the season more than anything else. That and a healthy wr room. BF has heard the noise about how bad he sucks and wants some redemption. If we average 24 points a game from the offense next season i will be a happy fan again. I love watching our defense but the offense is/was abominable. I've predicted a big season but it feels like we're going to have to wait and see. Cade makes me feel better about our offense because of his confidence.

I think the Oline aspect of this is particularly egregious. Iowa's line in 2021 was bad, and it was obviously so. And it was young, there has been a ton of attrition among the "senior" classes (2018 and 2019) that should have been the nucleus of the 2021 and 2022 teams. Despite this, Iowa made zero moves in the portal after the 2021 season to try and shore up the Oline. Add to that, we were losing our far-and-away best player on the line, Linderbaum. So the net effect going into 2022 was significantly negative. And that is on the coaches to not have addressed the issue before 2022.

Frankly, I'm not sure they've done much to expect things to be significantly better next season. Feth seems like a decent enough player, but I don't think he's anything more than a replacement-level B1G player. Which is still better than half our options, but rather telling. And I think there is a TON of wishcasting going on with regard to Parker. He's a D-2 player making a huge jump who had absolutely no P5 interest outside of UVA (as a resident of Virginia, I can assure this is not something to be celebrated). He's facing a steep learning curve, and he only has this next season to play since he only has 1 year of eligibility remaining.

I had mentioned at the old GIA site during the season that it didnt' look like the coaches had a plan or knew how to fix the Oline in 2023 and beyond other than throwing in Proctor immediately like we did with Wirfs and hope that others develop significantly. And they do not appear to have had a backup plan in place when they lost Proctor (I am not blaming the coaches for "losing" him). and I think they are sort of scrambling now. But it's a case of too little, too late for next year.

In terms of them not going after line last year - I don’t disagree, aside from I think a Center who went to Michigan instead I don’t recall any portal targets a year ago; but I think they were banking a lot on general improvement/health.

If nothing else, I would hope that improved play from Jones, Feth or whoever the center is would also help a ton. That delayed snap issue screwed up timing on blocking a lot all on its own. We need more competition there if nothing else.

Even if Feth is only replacement-level, that’s still loads better than what we had last year. Parker had a lot of interest elsewhere so this wasn’t a reach by Iowa. Again, nothing else more competition there should help a lot.

Iowa's offense has only scored 24 pts 33 times in the last 6 years. That's 44% of their games. KF your offense has a long way to go.
Curious - Is that total points? Or is that just the offense numbers (including field goals/XP) ?

Natty every year or fire everyone is a ridiculous response. You are missing the point entirely.

Yes, the Hawks have won a lot of games the past several years. That does NOT mean you keep the status quo and don't try to improve the second worst offense in college football!
There have been several wins left on the table due to the horrendous offense. The offense is directly responsible for at least 2 losses this past season alone. With even an offense that is average, the Hawks would have won the West a couple more times.

No, folks aren't calling for the spread offense or to play Big 12 arcade football. We just want an offense that is capable of a few sustained drives, a QB that can complete passes, and that actually is a threat to score points.

A few comments ...

Firstly, Kirk's academic background is English ... so I wouldn't expect him to be a whiz as it relates to stats.

However, that said, despite Kirk's own quantitative short-comings ... Kirk has always valued quantitative analysis. The Hawks have long collected, compiled, and analyzed all sorts of analytics. Kirk has made sure that he had support-staff that handled those facets for the program ... and the very backbone of the program is the S&C staff ... folks whom have been implementing data-driven/informed work-out strategies in order to help the program eke out advantages wherever they can.

Kirk's point about the the number 24 has more to say for the fact that Iowa's style of play makes it such that the bar doesn't have to be too high for the team to still have a remarkable win percentage. The context of his comment wasn't ignoring our poor scoring average this season.

Lastly, almost all of the goals you highlighted are ones shared by Kirk ... and all the highlighted ones are almost directly attributable to our blocking-issues as a team (particularly on the OL). If you've paid attention to ANY of Kirk's interviews of late ... he's been taking ownership of the those issues AND has emphasized that better line play would go a long ways to changing/improving Iowa's offensive production. He's not wrong. The primary gist of your observations are on point too ... although you're not saying/suggesting anything that Kirk hasn't himself.
So what you are saying is they are not getting coached up or are not talented enough to be D1 players? Who is that on?

It is confusing.
On defense Iowa wants to force teams into long multi play drives knowing that offenses will make mistakes

Then designs an offensive that wants to run long multi play drives expecting no mistakes

An offense that his defense would love to play against. But hey, he wins more than he loses.
Nothing more true than this statement

Where did you coach ball? You seem to really have some insight.

It's not his real logic. It's very deliberate and dishonest cherry picking of the stats that makes him and Jr come across as less incompetent on O than the worst power 5 offense of the modern era and near that last year would indicate. Only the really dumb and Kool aid drinkers are buying it. Shady AF

Reactions: ClarindaA's
It's not his real logic. It's very deliberate and dishonest cherry picking of the stats that makes him and Jr come across as less incompetent on O than the worst power 5 offense of the modern era and near that last year would indicate. Only the really dumb and Kool aid drinkers are buying it. Shady AF
Dishonest cherry picking stats???!?? Everyone on here is dishonest as hell then.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Curious - Is that total points? Or is that just the offense numbers (including field goals/XP) ?
The latter. I think it's bogus of KF to include the defense and special teams points. Those you should not count on.

2022 was the best year of the last 6 years for the defense as they averaged 3.5 pts per game, 46 total pts. In 2019 the D had 1 TD.

Charlie Jones had 2 back-to-back games in 2021 where he had a return for a TD. The 7 points was the margin of victory Iowa needed to win. Both of those games Iowa scored of KF 24 pts mark.

I seriously think Kirk has some Moneyball shit going on.

There's another stat where it's like if we don't turn the ball over we win 90% of the time.

It's why our QB's play so scared.
I agree with this. BF is destroying his qbs confidence instead of developing them. Best thing Cade can do is ignore BF, and he’s veteran enough he probably will. But the young guys can’t really do that. Its obvious these guys are playing scared, scared to make a mistake.

Reactions: DewHawk
I agree with this. BF is destroying his qbs confidence instead of developing them. Best thing Cade can do is ignore BF, and he’s veteran enough he probably will. But the young guys can’t really do that. Its obvious these guys are playing scared, scared to make a mistake.
I’d really like to sit in on practices, film rooms, etc and see how many of these crazy theories are full of crap.

destroying their confidence? Really? Aside from Petras, who exactly did this happen to?

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
I’d really like to sit in on practices, film rooms, etc and see how many of these crazy theories are full of crap.

destroying their confidence? Really? Aside from Petras, who exactly did this happen to?
What quarterback at iowa got better from the day he stepped on campus under Brian? Maybe Stanley?!?

What quarterback at iowa got better from the day he stepped on campus under Brian? Maybe Stanley?!?
Stanley got better. However, the sample size is not great. It also doesn't help when the protection isn't good either ... that gets into the head of the QB (especially when you're facing off against quality B1G defenses).

Reactions: sober_teacher

Yes, it’s really “crazy” to state the obvious that the qb is playing tight, scared and afraid to make a mistake and the “qb coach” who knows nothing about qb play is a big detriment here.

You could sit through every practice and it wouldn’t matter, you obviously wouldnt know what you are looking at.

Reactions: HoyaGoon
Yes, it’s really “crazy” to state the obvious that the qb is playing tight, scared and afraid to make a mistake and the “qb coach” who knows nothing about qb play is a big detriment here.

You could sit through every practice and it wouldn’t matter, you obviously wouldnt know what you are looking at.

I’m not pretending to know everything, but seriously, what are the conversations between the coaches and quarterbacks like? When they review film, what are they talking about?

Don’t think for a minute that I’m defending Brian here - while I think he has a good knowledge of the game of football; we’ve seen him do interviews and watch him break down plays, game plans etc. but he’s consistently demonstrated that he’s an imperfect coach (at best) on game days, and as fans we can really only guess what goes on in practices.

Petras wasn’t a good quarterback. Do I necessarily think that’s because Brian and Kirk destroyed his confidence? Not at all.

I don’t think Brian did a good job of tailoring the offense to what Spencer did well consistently, but at times Spencer also self destructed all on his own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT