ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk must not have taken any statistics; he wrecked his own logic

Funny you should mention Iowa football and statistics in the same sentence. I took a statistics course at Iowa from a professor named Hiram Hoover, who was actually a very good teacher. He used Iowa football (pathetic in that era) for examples in teaching elementary statistics, and he (and Iowa football) always got a laugh, he for his inventivness and Iowa for its pointlessness..

Dishonest cherry picking stats???!?? Everyone on here is dishonest as hell then.
Not surprising your pathetic ass wouldn't hold the $7 million man to a higher standard than message board posters. Doesn't being his bitch Boi ever get old? The football world is mocking your saviors, they are mocking you too indirectly

Not surprising your pathetic ass wouldn't hold the $7 million man to a higher standard than message board posters. Doesn't being his bitch Boi ever get old? The football world is mocking your saviors, they are mocking you too indirectly

It's sad. From Iowa articles like Dochterman's on the Athletic to national ones all the comments are the same. Majority of Iowa fans upset mocking our leadership. Have some non Iowa fans saying they feel bad for Iowa fans and critical of Kirk and Barta. Throw in fans of other Big 10 schools/rivals mocking and laughing at the Iowa leadership (KF and GB). Then you have that small tiny minority of post that are the KF fan boys sticking up for him keeping boy wonder around.

End of the day as much as some want to defend him Kirk's image has taken a hit nationally and most importantly with fair share of Iowa fans. As for BF that ship has sailed but funny thing is with KF keeping him around is probably hurting his image and chances for a good coaching job after his Dad retires when he has to find another coaching gig.

It's sad. From Iowa articles like Dochterman's on the Athletic to national ones all the comments are the same. Majority of Iowa fans upset mocking our leadership. Have some non Iowa fans saying they feel bad for Iowa fans and critical of Kirk and Barta. Throw in fans of other Big 10 schools/rivals mocking and laughing at the Iowa leadership (KF and GB). Then you have that small tiny minority of post that are the KF fan boys sticking up for him keeping boy wonder around.

End of the day as much as some want to defend him Kirk's image has taken a hit nationally and most importantly with fair share of Iowa fans. As for BF that ship has sailed but funny thing is with KF keeping him around is probably hurting his image and chances for a good coaching job after his Dad retires when he has to find another coaching gig.

That might be the biggest thing - how do they not see Brian’s tenure at Iowa is significantly harming his future coaching ambitions?

If nothing else, I would hope that improved play from Jones, Feth or whoever the center is would also help a ton. That delayed snap issue screwed up timing on blocking a lot all on its own. We need more competition there if nothing else.

Even if Feth is only replacement-level, that’s still loads better than what we had last year. Parker had a lot of interest elsewhere so this wasn’t a reach by Iowa. Again, nothing else more competition there should help a lot.
A key question will be: where does Feth play? Given his experience at Miami, it would seem that his natural fit would be at center in replacement of Jones. And Jones certainly struggled this season, I'm honestly amazed we weren't flagged multiple times a game for delayed snaps or false starts resulting from a slow snap because the timing was off all season long. But for Feth to play in place of Jones, KF would have to admit that he erred in making Jones the center. And that's something he is rather loath to do.

Coming out of the season, I figured that 3/5 of the Oline spots were locked: Richman at a tackle spot, Colby at guard, and Jones at center, with the remaining two spots TBD. If Feth does take over at center, does Jones have the ability to play guard? We tried multiple guys at the other guard spot, Stephens can't seem to stay healthy for extended periods, Dunker is inconsistent, and DeJong simply does not belong on the field at all. But can Jones/Feth play guard? And even if they can, the other tackle spot remains up in limbo. I hope that I am wrong about this, but I honestly don't think Parker is an upgrade from Plumb at all; at best he nets out as even, but I suspect he'll likely be a step below in performance, especially over the first half of the season. Losing Davidkov really hurts because we have no backups at the tackle spots at the moment.

Right after I typed this out it made me realize why Greg Davis was so bad. This was his theory, but he only threw screen passes and quick outs.
His offenses were so bad because he liked to throw the bar short to the sidelines in order to open up the middle of the line/field for the running game. That passing approach was grated onto a blocking/scheme that almost completely ignores the middle of the field in favor of stretch runs to the boundary. The result was a running/passing game that worked at odds with one another instead of in tandem in a complementary manner.

Reactions: WestCoastHawkI
A key question will be: where does Feth play? Given his experience at Miami, it would seem that his natural fit would be at center in replacement of Jones. And Jones certainly struggled this season, I'm honestly amazed we weren't flagged multiple times a game for delayed snaps or false starts resulting from a slow snap because the timing was off all season long. But for Feth to play in place of Jones, KF would have to admit that he erred in making Jones the center. And that's something he is rather loath to do.

Coming out of the season, I figured that 3/5 of the Oline spots were locked: Richman at a tackle spot, Colby at guard, and Jones at center, with the remaining two spots TBD. If Feth does take over at center, does Jones have the ability to play guard? We tried multiple guys at the other guard spot, Stephens can't seem to stay healthy for extended periods, Dunker is inconsistent, and DeJong simply does not belong on the field at all. But can Jones/Feth play guard? And even if they can, the other tackle spot remains up in limbo. I hope that I am wrong about this, but I honestly don't think Parker is an upgrade from Plumb at all; at best he nets out as even, but I suspect he'll likely be a step below in performance, especially over the first half of the season. Losing Davidkov really hurts because we have no backups at the tackle spots at the moment.

Not sure I agree with you on Parker - but we honestly don’t know, my assessment is based mostly on he had a fair amount of interest elsewhere so it’s not like Kirk reached out of nowhere for him.

If nothing else, Feth provides competition and depth on the interior. My sense is he starts at guard, but if Jones doesn’t improve then he’s the center instead. In Jones defense I did think the snapping issue was much improved in the bowl game.

Choosing to be optimistic at this point!

To me the key is what happens at Wisconsin and Nebraska. If these two teams fail to make big strides Kirk will be able to point to his safety first offense as being the correct plan. If they make turnaround’s, it may force his hand.

That might be the biggest thing - how do they not see Brian’s tenure at Iowa is significantly harming his future coaching ambitions?

Arrogance. Having that many “Yes” men in the Iowa Football program isn’t good. Where and when do they get legit constructive feedback?

The Ferentzes live in a bubble. As long as the transfers keep hitting that checking account, they just don’t give a rip.

As long as Barta is there to run cover for them, nothing will change.

Let me ask you guys this, say you have a $7M winning lotto ticket that is renewable yearly with simply above average results required. You are old, you are tired, you’ve done pretty well in your career so you don’t have anything to prove, you employ your son for the cool sum of $900,000.

Would you want to change anything? Be honest.

As fans, we are all hostages of Barta and the Ferentzes. Either accept it or suffer.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Arrogance. Having that many “Yes” men in the Iowa Football program isn’t good. Where and when do they get legit constructive feedback?

The Ferentzes live in a bubble. As long as the transfers keep hitting that checking account, they just don’t give a rip.

As long as Barta is there to run cover for them, nothing will change.

I tend to think it’s stubbornness more than arrogance.

Kirk has been shown he can make changes when he has to for the program to advance. What’s strange to me in all this is that while Phil Parker had kirks trust to make the needed changes on defense to adapt iowas defensive philosophy to effectively stand against spread offenses; LeVar woods likewise has the trust of Kirk to handle special teams; he seemingly has not or will not give Brian that same trust on offense.

And that doesn’t excuse Brian either - imo while I think he’s a good X’s and O’s Coach, his weakness as OC is his playcalling. I feel like he gets caught thinking too much instead of trusting the guys in the field.

If you are running a big corporation like John Deere. Profits are high. But lets say you have one division that is the one that keeps operating in the red. Do you just ignore it and say well overall we are doing great so things are good? Or do you try and make it profitable and just as strong as the other ones? On top of it if a certain manager has been in charge of the division operating at a loss isn't that a good place to start making the changes?

Point is yes Iowa has been good but with the talent and performance by the D and ST they could have been and can be even better if they fix the offense. Nothing wrong with Iowa fans wanting and expecting shots at conference titles and for wanting to be even better than above avg. and playing in championship games more than 2x since we went to division play in 11'.
so correct ^^ as the hawks might have had 2 Big 10 titles and one or two CFP appearances even since 2015. The fans would love that and that is what they want to see

I remember reading about Feth after his transfer to Iowa that he played a year at guard at Miami before playing two years at center. If Feth is better than Jones then put Feth at center. Kirk and Brian need to get the 5 best Olinemen on the field and let them practice their timing over the summer and in August. But maybe Feth can really solidify that right guard position.

The last couple of years has shown the most reshuffling and substitution along the OLine at Iowa under Kirk than I can ever remember. And when you listen to football analysts and former players they say the Oline has to gel as a unit to be really good.

Reactions: sober_teacher
I remember reading about Feth after his transfer to Iowa that he played a year at guard at Miami before playing two years at center. If Feth is better than Jones then put Feth at center. Kirk and Brian need to get the 5 best Olinemen on the field and let them practice their timing over the summer and in August. But maybe Feth can really solidify that right guard position.

The last couple of years has shown the most reshuffling and substitution along the OLine at Iowa under Kirk than I can ever remember. And when you listen to football analysts and former players they say the Oline has to gel as a unit to be really good.

Hopefully they finally get most of the guys healthy so they can play off the guys they want to, and not guys they have to because of injuries.

Reactions: uihawk82
You may have read Kirk's quote below in bold from the recent presser. Kirk throws out these stats without thinking of what he is saying. He talks about the record when his team scores 24 points a game but at the same time he knows in 2022 his team only scored 17.8 pts per game. It is just not good to score that little and go 8-5 with such a great defense.

I wonder what kind of deviation pattern his offensive scoring is by season?

Kirk, your job should be to have better offensive goals and achieve them. I used to think "only if Kirk's teams could score 31 pts a game" and when they did that they had some amazing teams. So I would say the offensive goals should be something like 1. greater than 3.7 yards per carry (4+ would be better), 2. a 50% decline in rushes for loss, 3. a large decline in QB pressures and sacks, 4. much improved pass completion percentage at 66% and yards per pass, and 5. 60% red zone TD rate.

So do whatever you have to do to scheme and coach your way to achieve this.

Reporters Question I believe: What would you say to fans who want sweeping changes?

“I'll share a stat with you. When we score 24 points, do you want to venture a guess at our record the last (eight) years?” Ferentz posed, before answering it. “Yeah, it's 55-3, which I think everybody would take that. But nobody likes the 24. That's where the rub really is, in my opinion. I'm more focused on the winning, me personally."
at this point KF is just making crap up ... could score 10 pts and beat 3/4 of the teams on the Hawks usual garbage, keep the scam going schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT