ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk was on 670 The Score here in Chicago today

They got his insight on James Daniels and what he'll bring to the Bears.

They also talked to him about Amani Jones (who's a local kid) and the Hawkeyes consistent success at developing players for the NFL.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/audio/mully-and-hanley-show/

see: 'Transition: Bears had a pretty good draft'
He played the “woe is me”, aw shucks card pretty hard. About competing in the B10, it was only 1 team leaves Indy with the trophy so the rest go home unhappy. Not wrong, but an odd answer. He played the “we aren’t sexy” card again when asked why Iowa doesn’t run a more modern offense like the spread. Said we can’t get Southern players so we play a more traditional offense. That answer is part of what really pisses me off as an Iowa fan.

He played the “woe is me”, aw shucks card pretty hard. About competing in the B10, it was only 1 team leaves Indy with the trophy so the rest go home unhappy. Not wrong, but an odd answer. He played the “we aren’t sexy” card again when asked why Iowa doesn’t run a more modern offense like the spread. Said we can’t get Southern players so we play a more traditional offense. That answer is part of what really pisses me off as an Iowa fan.

Well, Iowa's offense prepares players better for the NFL anyway. I know kids want the flash and the sizzle but honestly if I were an offensive skill position, I'd choose a school like Iowa. Solely for that reason. We've heard the comments over and over and over from the NFL about how well prepared Iowa players are for the pro game.

We run an NFL offense.

Well, Iowa's offense prepares players better for the NFL anyway. I know kids want the flash and the sizzle but honestly if I were an offensive skill position, I'd choose a school like Iowa. Solely for that reason. We've heard the comments over and over and over from the NFL about how well prepared Iowa players are for the pro game.
Yes, I'd much rather he'd put a positive, promotional spin on the same answer rather than a more negative one. Play up that we *like* the pro set, how we run our whole program like a professional team, and give the positives, the number of players in the NFL, etc. Take advantage of the stage and sell what we do! Remind them of your success in finishing in the top ten 5 times in the last 16 years, etc.

Well, Iowa's offense prepares players better for the NFL anyway.....honestly if I were an offensive skill position, I'd choose a school like Iowa.

If by "offensive skill position" you mean TE, I'll give you that. If you mean QB/RB/WR like most of the world does, then that's pretty funny.

Ronnie Harmon might have been the last Iowa player in that category to make a major impact on the NFL. Since then, you'd have a hard time finding more than a few players who had more than a couple dozen starts in his career.

Reactions: blhawk
If by "offensive skill position" you mean TE, I'll give you that. If you mean QB/RB/WR like most of the world does, then that's pretty funny.

Ronnie Harmon might have been the last Iowa player in that category to make a major impact on the NFL. Since then, you'd have a hard time finding more than a few players who had more than a couple dozen starts in his career.

Kevin Kasper, Tim Dwight, Shonn Greene.

The issue is skill positions and you are incorrect. He is horrible at recruiting those positions and development of them. Someone on here published our offensive numbers under Ferentz and they were very poor...especially the passing numbers.

Reactions: iowamike21
Disclaimer: I have not listened to the interview.

My response to this thread.

The responsibility of the University of Iowa Head football coach is to win games for the university of Iowa. It is not to run the system the fans want and it isnt to put people in the NFL. His job is to win as many football games as he can.

The issue is skill positions and you are incorrect. He is horrible at recruiting those positions and development of them. Someone on here published our offensive numbers under Ferentz and they were very poor...especially the passing numbers.

RB and WR are arguably the positions where development matters the least. Development does matter, but it's not like the OL or DL where you can take a 6-5, 230-ish guy with a good frame and good feet and put 60 pounds on him and make him a tackle or a d-lineman.

Iowa's raw offensive numbers (especially in this age of the spread offenses, higher amount of plays, etc.) are just not ever going to be very impressive under KF. Iowa wants the game at a lower # of possessions to work with its excellent defense. Look for efficiency on offense. The advanced metrics are a better barometer when looking at Iowa's offense when compared to others. That said, Iowa's offense was still bad in 2017 by the raw numbers (yards) or the advanced metrics.

The responsibility of the University of Iowa Head football coach is to win games for the university of Iowa. It is not to run the system the fans want and it isnt to put people in the NFL. His job is to win as many football games as he can.
Then we are on the same page. In my opinion, given the unprecedented number of resources he has compared to most of his oponents, he should do better, especially in the skill positions area

RB and WR are arguably the positions where development matters the least. Development does matter, but it's not like the OL or DL where you can take a 6-5, 230-ish guy with a good frame and good feet and put 60 pounds on him and make him a tackle or a d-lineman.

Iowa's raw offensive numbers (especially in this age of the spread offenses, higher amount of plays, etc.) are just not ever going to be very impressive under KF. Iowa wants the game at a lower # of possessions to work with its excellent defense. Look for efficiency on offense. The advanced metrics are a better barometer when looking at Iowa's offense when compared to others. That said, Iowa's offense was still bad in 2017 by the raw numbers (yards) or the advanced metrics.
Lot of spinning here...

JFC, Shonn Greene ring a bell?

They talked about James Daniels this morning and mentioned that Iowa is amazingly efficient on offense given the lack of talented skill position players. Their words but mostly I agree. Iowa does alot of good things with a definite lack of talent.

Reactions: cmhawks99

JFC, Shonn Greene ring a bell?

The guy said you'd have a hard time finding more than a few. You named one. So I guess you agree. Iowa's poor record of producing NFL-level skill-position players is hard to refute.

They talked about James Daniels this morning and mentioned that Iowa is amazingly efficient on offense given the lack of talented skill position players. Their words but mostly I agree. Iowa does alot of good things with a definite lack of talent.
So...you are praising him for “overcoming” or joining us that feel he fails in the critical areas identified

So...you are praising him for “overcoming” or joining us that feel he fails in the critical areas identified
Its obvious by every post you make, that you can't stand the head coach. We get it already. Do you spend every waking hour thinking up new ways to bring this same rehashed topics to the forum, for our perusal? Be unhappy, go on vacation, get over it, whatever....... The guy has his faults but overall he's done a pretty damn good job as the coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes, and he's going to be the coach until he decides to retire. Like it, don't like it.......Maybe find something original to complain about.......

Did he say that’s football?

moneyball-525a832ac4888.jpg

Its obvious by every post you make, that you can't stand the head coach. We get it already. Do you spend every waking hour thinking up new ways to bring this same rehashed topics to the forum, for our perusal? Be unhappy, go on vacation, get over it, whatever....... The guy has his faults but overall he's done a pretty damn good job as the coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes, and he's going to be the coach until he decides to retire. Like it, don't like it.......Maybe find something original to complain about.......
I heard him on the Chicago airwaves today and decided to share how he advertised our university. He has hijacked our football program for half of my lifetime and more to come. I would certainly like to watch iowa football with a different flavor after all this time. It has grown old. He has turned it into the iowa ferentz’s instead of hawkeyes and i have issue with that. My opinion is just as important as yours and what message boards are for

Im not doing either, just relaying what was said on the radio. I believe the gist was that Iowa is a pretty efficient offense despite their shortcomings. It is neither praise nor a criticism. Or maybe it is both?

I heard him on the Chicago airwaves today and decided to share how he advertised our university. He has hijacked our football program for half of my lifetime and more to come. I would certainly like to watch iowa football with a different flavor after all this time. It has grown old. He has turned it into the iowa ferentz’s instead of hawkeyes and i have issue with that. My opinion is just as important as yours and what message boards are for

143-61067-babycrt-1412618128.jpg

So college isn’t about preparing students for their chosen profession?

Your not really going to try to go with that right? KF is there to win football games. Career counselors make about 85k a year and guidance counselors are around 70k, you want counselors go get a few of those. The coach is there to win football games, that might involve teaching skills that will translate but KF has zero obligation to the NFL, his obligation is to the U of I.

Last edited:
We were 12-0 just 2 seasons ago. 1 defensive play from the playoff. And you want him out.
Clown.
Yes. And the 12-0 had way more to do with the schedule than with the quality of the team. That was exposed in the first possession of the rose bowl. It’s more likely that team wasn’t much more talented than his patented 7-5 or 8-4 teams

Last edited:
We aren’t an Ivy League school that offers sports as a diversion. P5 football is big business and he is paid over the moon money to deliver. The resources to compete at the national level are enormous.

Coach Ferentz has benefited from his reputation of
producing Hawkeyes who will play on the offensive
line in the NFL. It does help in recruitment and also
on the field of play in the Big Ten Conference games.
Ferentz has run a clean program and Iowa has avoided
being put on probation for rules violations.

Bottom Line: Coach Ferentz has been good for Iowa
Hawkeye football.

Yes. And the 12-0 had way more to do with the schedule than with the quality of the team. That was exposed in the first possession of the rose bowl. It’s more likely that team wasn’t much more talented than his patented 7-5 or 8-4 teams
Explain away how Iowa was an injured QB ... or a Shonn Greene away from being undefeated in 2009? ... are you going to explain away what happened in 2002 too? Without a 2nd half fade against ISU ... we're undefeated during the regular season then too!

Within the past 15 years the Hawks have had 3 seasons where they were either undefeated ... or where a whisper's breath from being undefeated. Can the almighty Badgers even make that claim? As I recall ... even the storied '17 Badger's season benefitted from their schedule ... but it also happened to be their first undefeated regular season!

By the way ... who's spinning now?

Explain away how Iowa was an injured QB ... or a Shonn Greene away from being undefeated in 2009? ... are you going to explain away what happened in 2002 too? Without a 2nd half fade against ISU ... we're undefeated during the regular season then too!

Within the past 15 years the Hawks have had 3 seasons where they were either undefeated ... or where a whisper's breath from being undefeated. Can the almighty Badgers even make that claim? As I recall ... even the storied '17 Badger's season benefitted from their schedule ... but it also happened to be their first undefeated regular season!

By the way ... who's spinning now?
You. The only Ferentz teams that had enough talent to compete nationally were in the early 2000’s. After that, the better teams were good in record only...due to their schedule

Reactions: Champions-Not

Your not really going to try to go with that right? KF is there to win football games. Career counselors make about 85k a year and guidance counselors are around 70k, you want counselors go get a few of those. The coach is there to win football games, that might involve teaching skills that will translate but KF has zero obligation to the NFL, his obligation is to the U of I.
No, I m not really going to go with that.

You. The only Ferentz teams that had enough talent to compete nationally were in the early 2000’s. After that, the better teams were good in record only...due to their schedule
In your opinion. And opinions are like assholes.

Iowa gets a new exciting coach. Loses 8 games a year 55-45. iowa12 drowns in semen.

This incorrect .......An NFL coach ....his only job is to win games...... not a collage coach! This comment is always made by selfish fans that believe winning games at any cost is what we should do to please the fans. If you really believe that's true lets just have the football player skip or fail a couple of classes. Winning games I would say is just as important as graduating students ....you cant have one without the other! Stick to pro football if all you want to do is worry about winning ball games. Iowa does a great job of both winning and turning out good people into the world prepared for what ever may come after football,

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT