ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk was on 670 The Score here in Chicago today

This incorrect .......An NFL coach ....his only job is to win games...... not a collage coach! This comment is always made by selfish fans that believe winning games at any cost is what we should do to please the fans. If you really believe that's true lets just have the football player skip or fail a couple of classes. Winning games I would say is just as important as graduating students ....you cant have one without the other! Stick to pro football if all you want to do is worry about winning ball games. Iowa does a great job of both winning and turning out good people into the world prepared for what ever may come after football,
Lol

Another Ferentz hater, love it! You want great skill players, we all do, unfortunately most of the elite skill players are “me first guys”, which do not fit Ferentz’s system! Iowa, under Ferentz, is a TEAM first program! You want to root for a team that only cares about winning at all costs, go root for someone like Nebraska, how many coaches have they had in the last 20 years? Seriously I’ve lost count! When will people learn? Troll on man, hope you can find happiness somewhere in life!

Wow. Apparently saying the head football coaches job is to win football games really triggers a few people. 1) the "go cheer for someone else" doesnt work, it's why the AD is looking at hiring a firm to figure out how the hell to get people back to games. After we were all told "vote with your pocket book". B) saying a head coaches job is to win football games does not instantly equate to selling your soul to win. Student athlete is bullshit and I was one. The university gets more money for academics if the football team wins games, let that keep you warm. C) do not label me a KF hater, I'm just pointing out things that seem blatantly obvious.

Reactions: IGot5onIt
Lot of spinning here...

What are the huge advantage in resources compared to opponents? Who in the Big 10 does Iowa have an advantage over when it comes to recruiting footprint? Purdue maybe? Iowa fans support the team by donating money and generally putting butts in the seats. Big deal. The TV money means everyone in the league has money. Nebraska is the only team with fewer good recruits within 300 miles of its campus than Iowa, and Huskers have advantage in financial support, fan support and history.

Criticizing KF's record is totally fair and if you think he should win more, that's fine. But to say Iowa wins with more resources that other teams in the Big 10 isn't correct.

Some choose to dwell on the few negatives, I prefer to focus on the many positives! It’s okay, I was young and single minded once too! Hopefully you’ll grow out of it!

Reactions: cmhawks99
You. The only Ferentz teams that had enough talent to compete nationally were in the early 2000’s. After that, the better teams were good in record only...due to their schedule
Sorry dude - but amongst posters here, you should have ZERO credibility. Please do your homework before making empty claims ...

Lest you need remembering, here are key elements of Iowa's 2009 schedule:

non-conference slate: 2 P5 conference foes - ISU and Arizona (Arizona having coming off a pretty promising 8-5 season)

conference slate: @ PSU (11-2), vs Michigan, @ Wisconsin (9-3), @ MSU, vs Northwestern (8-4), @ Ohio State (10-2)
(regular season records in parenthesis)

Iowa lost by a TD at home to Northwestern, despite most of the game without our #1 QB.

Iowa lost in overtime to Ohio State AT the Shoe ... with a plucky RS FR QB starting!

So Iowa was good in record only, huh? That schedule was full of cupcakes, eh? Some of the best foes we faced that year were ON THE ROAD.

In your opinion. And opinions are like assholes.
Not even that ... that's suggesting that a poster like iowa12 deserves some type of participation award or something. That sort of logic is bull$hit. People may all have opinions (like assholes) ... but again, that doesn't imply that all opinions are equally valid. The strength of reasoning and strength of supporting evidence ... they all count for something!

I heard him on the Chicago airwaves today and decided to share how he advertised our university. He has hijacked our football program for half of my lifetime and more to come. I would certainly like to watch iowa football with a different flavor after all this time. It has grown old. He has turned it into the iowa ferentz’s instead of hawkeyes and i have issue with that. My opinion is just as important as yours and what message boards are for

All fair. But it is a nonstop bitchfest, over and over. And over. Then again. And again. And. Yet. Again.

And I am one that agrees we should have gotten more offensively over the years. Not top 25 offenses, but better.

Wow. Apparently saying the head football coaches job is to win football games really triggers a few people. 1) the "go cheer for someone else" doesnt work, it's why the AD is looking at hiring a firm to figure out how the hell to get people back to games. After we were all told "vote with your pocket book". B) saying a head coaches job is to win football games does not instantly equate to selling your soul to win. Student athlete is bullshit and I was one. The university gets more money for academics if the football team wins games, let that keep you warm. C) do not label me a KF hater, I'm just pointing out things that seem blatantly obvious.
Wrong again .....hiring a firm is something a ton of schools are doing . the problem isn't as much the type of offence they run or weather the teams record is 8-4 or 12-0 the problem is people especially young people just are not interested and and the fact today everyone has a 55" hi-df tv in the living room and they don't have to deal with traffic. but you just go on believing what you want.

Wrong again .....hiring a firm is something a ton of schools are doing . the problem isn't as much the type of offence they run or weather the teams record is 8-4 or 12-0 the problem is people especially young people just are not interested and and the fact today everyone has a 55" hi-df tv in the living room and they don't have to deal with traffic. but you just go on believing what you want.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The reason the younger crowd isn't buying tickets is we know at the end of the day it's a 7-5 product. Why would I pay big bucks to go watch a game against x when I know we have a high likelihood of dropping a stinker in that game or in a game against some crappy team. Even when it wins the style of football being played is very boring. "Defense wins championships" might make sense to a 50 year old man but it iant getting the 20 year olds in the stands. (And where are those championships ar anyway?) Kf is a good dude and a heck of a brand ambassador but the U of I is behind on the times on capatilizing on the big business that is CFB. Again, the coach can play whatever style of football he wants if he wins. But death on a cracker offense to get to a career .596 just doesn't do it for alot of people. KF's job is to win football games.

Last edited:
Plenty of us that wholeheartedly disagree with you as well. You're on a roll lately.

I'm assuming you are referencing my thread about the press conference and how the PR coming from the U of I is consistently a day late and a dollar short. This is basically the same conversation with a different catalyst. I'm Ok with going against the grain and just like with the last one everyone seems to be cordial. The day will come when the entire AD is turned over and we will see.

[QUOTE="myteamcanbeatupyourteam,post:

Kevin Kasper, Tim Dwight, Shonn Greene.[/QUOTE]

LOL. OMG. If you think that refutes my statement, that’s even funnier than what you originally posted.

Last edited:
I heard him on the Chicago airwaves today and decided to share how he advertised our university. He has hijacked our football program for half of my lifetime and more to come. I would certainly like to watch iowa football with a different flavor after all this time. It has grown old. He has turned it into the iowa ferentz’s instead of hawkeyes and i have issue with that. My opinion is just as important as yours and what message boards are for

You need some time with FXL

I totally agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. People post on here for years, and call themselves fans, and never have one single positive thing to say about the staff or the program. So its really that bad is it? Could Iowa football be better? Quite possible, and we may yet see those days. Could it be worse? Damn straight, we've been there before Fry and Ferentz came to Iowa. If you really think that KF is such a self centered ego manic, try following the fighting Harboughs, or anywhere where Mike Leach is coaching and see what that looks like. I'm sorry that Iowa football has grown old for you. I really think we've got another BIG championship run in this team in the next couple of years. I hope you'll be able to enjoy that, and not let your dislike for the man spoil a special season of Hawkeye football......

Iowa gets a new exciting coach. Loses 8 games a year 55-45. iowa12 drowns in semen.
This right here is the crux of it too, and many people don't seem to get it. There's always some guy out there with a new high powered scheme or wrinkle. Guys like Mike Leach, or Rich Rod. Move the ball up and down the field, score a bunch of points and don't win BUBKUS, when it comes to anything substancial. Go back and look at who has won the college titles the last 20 years on so in college football. The same few teams, who are able to recruit the top level players, and start the year at the top end of the rankings. Most power five schools are running an uphill battle to get there shot at the big game. Winning 8 or 9 games and every 4 or 5 years winning 10 or 11 is nothing to sneer at.

And bad weather seems to impact the current generations more also. These gens coming up don't want much for any inconveniences. And they want their uninterrupted wifi dammit.

Why isn’t it okay for KF to say “I’m here to win football games, prepare young men for continuing their football careers beyond college, and for life after football.”

o_O

I love how its assumed getting a new coach equates to losing more games. Do you truly think so little of bartas hiring abilities?

Edit: I am not saying we need a new coach I am not interested in getting involved with that side of this thread. I am here to discuss how the program is viewed from a PR perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoelBittner
Why isn’t it okay for KF to say “I’m here to win football games, prepare young men for continuing their football careers beyond college, and for life after football.”

o_O

That would be perfect. "We are here to win games" is a far cry from "we have a hard time recruitting the south".

I love how its assumed getting a new coach equates to losing more games. Do you truly think so little of bartas hiring abilities?

Maybe some of us have paid attention over the years to the fans cries to fire Kirk and replace him with the Bob Diacos and Brett Bielemas of the world. And, yes, I would be worried that Barta would find a better coach than Kirk. It really says more about Kirk than Barta though......

I'll address that if you like. While I'd make no claim that Iowa couldn't maintain or possibly even progress under a new coach, it will be a challenge. I do firmly belief that many people seriously underestimate the job that coach Fry and coach Ferentz have done to keep the Hawkeyes relevant in the BIG. No I don't see Iowa falling back to the dark days before Fry, but we will always have our work cut out for us against OSU, Michigan, and PSU, while teams like Wisconsin, MSU, NW, and yes even Nebraska will provide a challenge. The conference is much more balanced then it was 40 years ago. Remember that not losing more, basically means winning at least 9 games a year on average. Now go back through the last 30 or 40 years of college football, and see how many teams accomplish that. It won't be easy thats all I'm saying, but hey I get it the grass is always greener correct?

What are the huge advantage in resources compared to opponents? Who in the Big 10 does Iowa have an advantage over when it comes to recruiting footprint? Purdue maybe? Iowa fans support the team by donating money and generally putting butts in the seats. Big deal. The TV money means everyone in the league has money. Nebraska is the only team with fewer good recruits within 300 miles of its campus than Iowa, and Huskers have advantage in financial support, fan support and history.

Criticizing KF's record is totally fair and if you think he should win more, that's fine. But to say Iowa wins with more resources that other teams in the Big 10 isn't correct.
Nebraska doesn't have any other FBS programs within the state - also it benefitted from building its program during an era of little parity and few, if any, restrictions on scholarships and/or roster composition. From the Devaney and Osborn eras, they built themselves into a "brand" name.

In this day and age, it's a non-trivial task to rebuild yourself a strong brand-name. Given the increased parity in the sport ... there's a lot more competition ... and there's A LOT of shady business that has transpired in the recruiting game.

I'll address that if you like. While I'd make no claim that Iowa couldn't maintain or possibly even progress under a new coach, it will be a challenge. I do firmly belief that many people seriously underestimate the job that coach Fry and coach Ferentz have done to keep the Hawkeyes relevant in the BIG. No I don't see Iowa falling back to the dark days before Fry, but we will always have our work cut out for us against OSU, Michigan, and PSU, while teams like Wisconsin, MSU, NW, and yes even Nebraska will provide a challenge. The conference is much more balanced then it was 40 years ago. Remember that not losing more, basically means winning at least 9 games a year on average. Now go back through the last 30 or 40 years of college football, and see how many teams accomplish that. It won't be easy thats all I'm saying, but hey I get it the grass is always greener correct?

Remember that not losing more, basically means winning at least 9 games a year onaverage. (This is just not true. He is a .596 coach if you wanted to say we would need to bring in at minimum a 7.5 win a year coach I would fully agree.)

Thank you for at least having the foresight to see in today's world the chances of returning to a laughing stock is zilch. There is just too much money involved.

Yeah guys "we" could make a bad hire and replace a coach in a couple years but I did the math on it one time and it was something like Iowa would need to hire and fire 5 coaches in the next 10 years to get to "average". We have a serious fear of change. KF is a great man and has been a great coach but change will happen. In today's world of information and data (and the amount of money Iowa has even though it likes to pretend ot doesnt) "we" would be able to make an informed hire.

Maybe some of us have paid attention over the years to the fans cries to fire Kirk and replace him with the Bob Diacos and Brett Bielemas of the world. And, yes, I would be worried that Barta would find a better coach than Kirk. It really says more about Kirk than Barta though......
Completely agree, and thus one of the reasons for my signature below. :cool:

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Remember that not losing more, basically means winning at least 9 games a year onaverage. (This is just not true. He is a .596 coach if you wanted to say we would need to bring in at minimum a 7.5 win a year coach I would fully agree.)

Thank you for at least having the foresight to see in today's world the chances of returning to a laughing stock is zilch. There is just too much money involved.

Yeah guys "we" could make a bad hire and replace a coach in a couple years but I did the math on it one time and it was something like Iowa would need to hire and fire 5 coaches in the next 10 years to get to "average". We have a serious fear of change. KF is a great man and has been a great coach but change will happen. In today's world of information and data (and the amount of money Iowa has even though it likes to pretend ot doesnt) "we" would be able to make an informed hire.

Who are the fans that are afraid of change? That's a strawman argument. The argument of most is that they are generally pleased with how KF has done and don't think he should be fired. If I didn't ever see KF adapting/changing I would be among those arguing he needs to go. He's changed a lot about the program, from how they look at incoming freshmen playing to nutrition to when they have practice to embracing technology and wearables in measuring players' performance in practices. They changed how they attack going for 4th downs on the +40 yard line. I could go on. The fact he thinks a pro-set offense and the 4-3 defense is the way to win games is his decision. He has to live with and be judged on those results.

Hopefully KF can finish his career at Iowa with one more high-point era of results. No guarantee it will happen, but I would call it a possibility. That makes sports interesting, finding out whether it will happen.

I cannot provide a specific name if you want to call the fear of change a strawman I can see where you are coming from(though anything remotely about change would make kilroy scream for the heavens iirc.). I think if your being honest with yourself you could find some examples though. My stance is the perception of the U of I is "old" and "long in the tooth" and "not exciting". I too hope KF rides out on a high note, as I have said all along winning cures all.

Some choose to dwell on the few negatives, I prefer to focus on the many positives! It’s okay, I was young and single minded once too! Hopefully you’ll grow out of it!

Hope you dont fall off that high horse, at your age you might break a hip. You serious Clark? Passive aggressive age bait is passive aggressive.

Good thread.. I sincerely mean that.

I think KF is a good coach. I think he has some core principles, of which I can appreciate, that he doesnt deviate from. He can evaluate talent as well as anyone and also develops that talent about as well as anyone. He plays a style of football that levels the talent playing field in most games (sound, well coached teams that dont turn the ball over, play hard nosed defense and an offense that can manage the game well) and most games, Iowa is in it and in position to win the game in the 4th quarter. Conversely I think some of those core principles works against him as well. He takes a stance on recruiting that I actually like, but I think its hurt him from time to time. I.e. once committed, no more visits. In todays world of kids and their mentality, I think that has worked against him. I dont know what the answer to that is, if you stop doing that or not, but I think its prevented some kids that were very high on Iowa that would have been very good players, that ended up going elsewhere because of that policy. I get it though, if youre committed, be committed.

Ive had very similar conversations about Nebraska in regards to coaching. We fired Solich who was winning a lot of games, maybe not bringing in the same level of talent, but still recruiting good quality players. But there was a contingent of fans that wanted him gone. I guess I mention this for nothing other than, be careful what you wish for. If Iowa goes a different direction you may strike gold, or you may get a 15 year coaches spinning door similar to what has happened in Lincoln. Obviously Im not saying anything no one already knows, but I would have happily taken the last 15 years of what Iowa has done over what Nebraska has done. Im obviously happy with our new coach, granted I think its going to take time, but I would have not been upset to have KF in Lincoln for the last 15 years or so.

My understanding was that KF had won on average 7.8 games per year. In my book thats 8 wins, so to win more it would have to be between 8 and 9 wins per year. Its possible that stat was leaving out his first year where the Hawks went 1-11, so I'll add that. I'm not concerned about change, and I also wouldn't be suprized if BF ended up with the job, he might be just be enough of a spark to push the needle. Whomever ends up the HC at Iowa in five years or so, I'll support him until he gives me a reason not too. I get the feeling that Barta will not be the AD by then, so I hope the person they hire, (my bet would be a female), is ready for this important decision.

They have. Some people believe it should be win at all costs and don’t care what type of people the players are.
Kirk actually said in the interview yesterday “My job is not to produce NFL players, but it’s a nice perk when it happens” ...I shit you not.

If I were a kid and heard him say that, I’d be more than a bit underwhelmed with my offer from Iowa to say the least. Keep in mind EVERY kid feels he has what it takes to go pro some day.

Good thread.. I sincerely mean that.

I think KF is a good coach. I think he has some core principles, of which I can appreciate, that he doesnt deviate from. He can evaluate talent as well as anyone and also develops that talent about as well as anyone. He plays a style of football that levels the talent playing field in most games (sound, well coached teams that dont turn the ball over, play hard nosed defense and an offense that can manage the game well) and most games, Iowa is in it and in position to win the game in the 4th quarter. Conversely I think some of those core principles works against him as well. He takes a stance on recruiting that I actually like, but I think its hurt him from time to time. I.e. once committed, no more visits. In todays world of kids and their mentality, I think that has worked against him. I dont know what the answer to that is, if you stop doing that or not, but I think its prevented some kids that were very high on Iowa that would have been very good players, that ended up going elsewhere because of that policy. I get it though, if youre committed, be committed.

Ive had very similar conversations about Nebraska in regards to coaching. We fired Solich who was winning a lot of games, maybe not bringing in the same level of talent, but still recruiting good quality players. But there was a contingent of fans that wanted him gone. I guess I mention this for nothing other than, be careful what you wish for. If Iowa goes a different direction you may strike gold, or you may get a 15 year coaches spinning door similar to what has happened in Lincoln. Obviously Im not saying anything no one already knows, but I would have happily taken the last 15 years of what Iowa has done over what Nebraska has done. Im obviously happy with our new coach, granted I think its going to take time, but I would have not been upset to have KF in Lincoln for the last 15 years or so.
My thoughts on his recruiting process working against him. After the Eno Benjamin mess, and the loss of those players, this board was in panic mode that his outdated ways and stubborness would be our undoing. In retrospect, I don't see that as the outcome at all. It seems the last two seasons and the current cycle have been a steady progression upward, with quality young men and athletic talent. It would be hard to make the argument that recruiting has suffered post Eno. What gives? We're the naysayers just wrong? Has KF's staying the course, struck a cord of reason with quality young men and their parents. Has structure and leadership seen a resurgence? We're we just due for a streak of good fortune?

He averages 7.5 wins and 5.1 losses a year without the bowls included. We play 12 "regular season" games more than we play 13 and you cannot round 5.1 down to 4 so 7.5 doesnt round up. He is a "7-5" coach.

Edit: since we do occasionally play 13 regular season games you COULD call him a 7 or 8 win 5 loss coach but you would be stretching it a bit. (The number 9 is in no way accurate)
I did the math and if he truly were a 8-4 (.666) win coach you would be able to take like 27 loses over time and turn those into wins. Imagine the difference in perception of the team if you were able to make that change over the last 19 years.

Last edited:
Kirk actually said in the interview yesterday “My job is not to produce NFL players, but it’s a nice perk when it happens” ...I shit you not.

If I were a kid and heard him say that, I’d be more than a bit underwhelmed with my offer from Iowa to say the least. Keep in mind EVERY kid feels he has what it takes to go pro some day.
Maybe, or possibly the kid might think its refreshing to hear someone actually say the truth, thats NOT his job. Now as a side note, its something this staff does very well, and surely the young men can see the results for themselves. Sometimes, I think we underestimate these young people.

My thoughts on his recruiting process working against him. After the Eno Benjamin mess, and the loss of those players, this board was in panic mode that his outdated ways and stubborness would be our undoing. In retrospect, I don't see that as the outcome at all. It seems the last two seasons and the current cycle have been a steady progression upward, with quality young men and athletic talent. It would be hard to make the argument that recruiting has suffered post Eno. What gives? We're the naysayers just wrong? Has KF's staying the course, struck a cord of reason with quality young men and their parents. Has structure and leadership seen a resurgence? We're we just due for a streak of good fortune?

You might want to look at the changes to the staff for your answer. But simply put the recruitting has changed significantly in the last 2 years.

Was talking about salaries, facilities, length of contract, support, etc. the resources he has at his disposal are in the top 15 or so nationally

ADVERTISEMENT