ADVERTISEMENT

Kirksey released

I'm a bit surprised in that Christian was playing well for them. Another team will pick him up. I wish the Pack would get rid of a couple of their worthless DBs.

Id prefer they get rid of people like Amos that takes 14 games off and then intercepts anything thrown within 30 yards of him by a Bears qb

His 2021 cap hit was 5.6 million, plus they cut someone else today with a cap hit over 4 million. The Packers are still 11.5 million over the salary cap.

So this was a business decision, not a performance decision. He’ll get another contract somewhere, although maybe for not as much.

Its gonna be a brutal offseason in the NFL. The salary cap is going down nearly 20 million and last year it was way down as well. Most teams planned years prior to having big cap increases because the TV deals were set to have big revenue increases for the NFL and their respective teams.

Many teams are gonna have to cut great players simply because there’s just no good way to get under the cap except by cutting expensive contracts and signing rookies or vet minimum guys.

Green Bay has a problem conducting business a way that will help them win another championship. Getting rid of a good defender is kinda dumb. Paying Rodgers is keeping them from getting other personnel. Defense is not at a championship level.

Reactions: Wadzinator
Green Bay has a problem conducting business a way that will help them win another championship. Getting rid of a good defender is kinda dumb. Paying Rodgers is keeping them from getting other personnel. Defense is not at a championship level.
This is going to become a problem on a lot of teams. Marquis players that eat up all the salary cap are going to be resented if there is not enough $$ to go around.

Packers fan here. Love Kirksey as a Hawk, but his performance for the Packers this year was not great. They had huge problems at linebacker all year. They moved Kirksey out of the middle to weak side and he did much better there. Rodgers' contract isn't precluding them from getting talent. Every team with a great QB is paying them a lot of money. In the last couple of years, the Packers paid to add Kirksey, Amos, Preston Smith, Zadarius Smith on defense. They are looking for a way to get JJ Watt.

The problem on defense this particular year was both the DC and two corners they invested high picks in, Josh Jackson and Kevin King, are not good NFL players.

Reactions: kcgolfer and Hawk68
I’d be surprised if they didn’t let him walk. He’s going to be expensive and 26 year old running backs are old in NFL terms.
They can’t. He has a lot of guaranteed money. Even if they trade/release him it won’t give them much cap relief.

The teams with a lot of cap space should make big improvements next season. There will be a lot of quality players available for cheap.

This is going to become a problem on a lot of teams. Marquis players that eat up all the salary cap are going to be resented if there is not enough $$ to go around.
So...you're in favor of a redistribution of wealth in the NFL? The players do have a union, right?

They can’t. He has a lot of guaranteed money. Even if they trade/release him it won’t give them much cap relief.

The teams with a lot of cap space should make big improvements next season. There will be a lot of quality players available for cheap.
He’s a FA and apparently wants $14mm+ per year. That’s a lot of money for a RB in the top half of their 20’s. Plus they need to try and resign their C.

Cowboys could definitely use a LB like him.

...unfortunately Jerry has f’d up their salary cap and won’t be able to afford him.

He’s a FA and apparently wants $14mm+ per year. That’s a lot of money for a RB in the top half of their 20’s. Plus they need to try and resign their C.
Sorry....didn’t fully read your post. I though you were talking about Rodgers. My bad!

Yes, Jones is likely gone.

Reactions: mlb1399
this is true.... it’s no different than businesses everywhere.... covid hurt the economy and players are going to have to make concessions.... the problem is once the pay levels get set lower these teams like any other company probably aren’t going to offer to return to the former pay levels without a fight.... honestly while I understand how short these players playing career can be and why they should make as much as they can.... some of the marquee players contracts are insane..... BUT the owners and league make insane amounts of money too.... it’s capitalism plain and simple

I'm a bit surprised in that Christian was playing well for them. Another team will pick him up. I wish the Pack would get rid of a couple of their worthless DBs.
The Packers did not think he was playing that well. He was behind a rookie the last four games or so.

Reactions: kcgolfer
Cap casualty. Thanks to the NFL and its players who insist on insulting their customers the NFL salary cap is dropping to $180 M. Guys like Christian will be on the move because their current teams cannot afford them. Atlanta has Ryan and four other guys consuming $140 M of their cap. You can play with the numbers somewhat around the edges but that's basically $40 M for approximately 50 other players.

There are some whopping pay cuts coming, and it is not going to be pretty.

Reactions: icwesthawk
ADVERTISEMENT