ADVERTISEMENT

Know the foe

Thanks for sharing, I think. I have to say, the Wyoming team expects great things this year.

The good thing is Wyoming lost just about all their weapons on offense outside of Josh Allen.. they will be breaking in a new rb and back up rb.. both starting WRs and the starting te.. wyoming may be better in the 2nd half of the season then the first half

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Good article, I think if Bohl does stay for the long haul he's well positioned to build a Mountain West dynasty. Similar to what we've seen from Boise St in the WAC and MWC. I believe Boise St is due for a regression similar to what Oregon experienced after Chip Kelly left. And if the regression does happen, Wyoming could capitalize on the opportunity. The fact Bohl is a culture builder should bold well for him and the school in years to come. Let's hope they have a 1 step back 2 step's forward moment this season where the game against Iowa is their one step back.

Reactions: bu1992
Well, I know it has been said repeatedly on this site, but this has all of the feel of an NDSU coming in. Note, I'm not saying Iowa will lose and in fact I'm predicting a Hawkeye win. But there are some similarities - a team coming in with "nothing to lose" and even more so, they've been pumping each other up all summer with expectations that they can steal a win at Iowa. The only thing missing so far are 20-30 of their fans trying to sound tough on our board!

Ec
Well, I know it has been said repeatedly on this site, but this has all of the feel of an NDSU coming in. Note, I'm not saying Iowa will lose and in fact I'm predicting a Hawkeye win. But there are some similarities - a team coming in with "nothing to lose" and even more so, they've been pumping each other up all summer with expectations that they can steal a win at Iowa. The only thing missing so far are 20-30 of their fans trying to sound tough on our board!
Except you add a future NFL Qb with no returning playmakers and take out the precision, hard as nails running game and all of the championships. Almost identical.

Reactions: Sincityhawk1
Ec

Except you add a future NFL Qb with no returning playmakers and take out the precision, hard as nails running game and all of the championships. Almost identical.

Yeah, and add two crucial interior OL to Iowa's team. Still almost identical.

I'm not sure what you want me to say? I already am on record as expecting a Hawkeye victory. I'm simply pointing out that this is a team that's undoubtedly an underdog, and they know that, but they are going to be ready to play and I personally think they'll surprise us a few times. It really isn't all that different from Iowa going to Michigan, MSU, PSU, Wisconsin, or OSU even - we might not be the favorite, and maybe the home team expects to get that win, but we'll come in ready to fight and with some grit. It's not going to be easy for the home team.

Everybody's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Be ready for them to deliver a punch just as bad as ours is all I'm saying.

Reactions: Herky96

Big difference this will be 1st game not 3rd game of the season. On top of losing all their weapons even their Center from last year went to the NFL. Another thing people keep forgetting about NDSU was our running game struggled mightly mainly because both Welsh and Daniels didn't play. Knock on wood we should have our entire OL ready to go for the opener.

Big difference this will be 1st game not 3rd game of the season. On top of losing all their weapons even their Center from last year went to the NFL. Another thing people keep forgetting about NDSU was our running game struggled mightly mainly because both Welsh and Daniels didn't play. Knock on wood we should have our entire OL ready to go for the opener.
Wadley was dinged up too.

Wadley was dinged up too.

Well, all we know for sure is he didn't get any second half carries. I'm sort of kidding, but sort of not. There's still nothing definitive about that, because from memory KF said about two days later "Akrum's ready to go, he's fine".

Iowa will not over look this team I can assure you Doyle brings this teams name up 100x a day. Iowa will come out so ready to play to set the tune for the season.

Well, all we know for sure is he didn't get any second half carries. I'm sort of kidding, but sort of not. There's still nothing definitive about that, because from memory KF said about two days later "Akrum's ready to go, he's fine".
For sure? No, but that game, or soon before it is most likely when the injury occurred that caused him to have knee surgery after the season. We all heard he was injured at that time, and then he has surgery after the season...he was hurt.

Reactions: tigerhawkfan2
Iowa will not over look this team I can assure you Doyle brings this teams name up 100x a day. Iowa will come out so ready to play to set the tune for the season.
Like they did against NDSU? I sure hope you're right, and I sure hope there's a change in attack against teams with KOK back on the sidelines and a young approach in Brian.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Great article. Sounds very much like a culture we know all too well.

So...think we'll see any new uniforms this year?

Too bad EVERYONE he is throwing the ball to and handing the ball of to won't be playing in the game this September. Top 2 WRs & RBs and starting TE all gone.

True. However, C.J. Johnson, who caught several TDs last year is back and Austin Conway is waiting in the wings to get a featured role. Allen has been working out all summer long with the receivers group to get their timing down and to work on ad lib maneuvers when things break down and Josh starts to improvise. Iowa will be a huge test for the Pokes, no doubt. It will be interesting to see what these up and coming crop of receivers can do.

But, despite Josh's highlight reel, the Cowboys are very balance and feature the run as well. Brian Hill left for the NFL and is now with the Atlanta Falcons, but Nico Evans will be a nice replacement. In reality, Bohl's system is really plug and play when it comes to running backs. The real question is how Wyoming's offensive line handles Iowa's front that will determine the outcome, IMHO.

True. However, C.J. Johnson, who caught several TDs last year is back and Austin Conway is waiting in the wings to get a featured role. Allen has been working out all summer long with the receivers group to get their timing down and to work on ad lib maneuvers when things break down and Josh starts to improvise. Iowa will be a huge test for the Pokes, no doubt. It will be interesting to see what these up and coming crop of receivers can do.

But, despite Josh's highlight reel, the Cowboys are very balance and feature the run as well. Brian Hill left for the NFL and is now with the Atlanta Falcons, but Nico Evans will be a nice replacement. In reality, Bohl's system is really plug and play when it comes to running backs. The real question is how Wyoming's offensive line handles Iowa's front that will determine the outcome, IMHO.

I guess it will be interesting to see how Wyoming's new skill positions guys mesh vs Iowa breaking in a new QB for his first game on offense side as well. All I can say is I'm glad this is the 1st not 3rd game of the year for Iowa.

Reactions: cidsports
I guess it will be interesting to see how Wyoming's new skill positions guys mesh vs Iowa breaking in a new QB for his first game on offense side as well. All I can say is I'm glad this is the 1st not 3rd game of the year for Iowa.
Tell the truth I'm more worry about our DB's and Punter.QB just needs to manage the game on

Tell the truth I'm more worry about our DB's and Punter.QB just needs to manage the game on
I'm not that worried about the dbs.. Rugabam looks ok vs Michigan solid vs Purdue, and Nebraska when he did play.. Josh Jackson is solid and should be able to make the jump.. and Michael O looked good at times.. Taylor needs help in coverage, gervase is a step down from Snyder. And we may see Snyder back at some point

I'm not that worried about the dbs.. Rugabam looks ok vs Michigan solid vs Purdue, and Nebraska when he did play.. Josh Jackson is solid and should be able to make the jump.. and Michael O looked good at times.. Taylor needs help in coverage, gervase is a step down from Snyder. And we may see Snyder back at some point
I'm sure your right but this QB will be the real deal.If DE can get pressure we will be fine

I'm pretty sure coach P will have the OL ready for that game as well. He seems pretty motivated to put his new stamp on this team.

Somewhat, but I think the bigger test will be how well the Pokes DL can hold up against Iowa's OL, and Mr.s Wadley, Butler, and Young. Unless we turn it over, you can't score without the ball, and I'm sure KF will try to limit your time with the pigskin. That is of course if Wadley and Butler aren't breaking off huge runs, and giving it right back to the Pokes.

Iowa "SHOULD" own the offensive line of scrimmage, thus being able to run the ball and control the game. Hopefully the D line plays well, we have Bazata back at DT and our DE's have experience and are solid. LB corp should be the best that the Pokes face all year, DB's are young but will be solid. Yes its the first game, and the young DB's will be tested. Ragumba held his own last year with more talented Michigan WR's. I think with Hesse, the Nelson's and now AJ at DE, we should be able to pressure the QB. So to me its simple, if Iowa comes to play, don't make mistakes they win, if they don't it will be a dogfight as was the NDSU game. Of course, that is the recipe for every Iowa game, play there game, no mistakes and they usually win, when they don't, it's always a frustrating to watch dogfight.

Reactions: Pepperman
Unless we turn it over, you can't score without the ball, and I'm sure KF will try to limit your time with the pigskin. That is of course if Wadley and Butler aren't breaking off huge runs, and giving it right back to the Pokes.

As we all should know by now, the bolded part is a double-edged sword. Especially against underdogs that start to get that "we can pull this off after all" feeling.

Iowa "SHOULD" own the offensive line of scrimmage, thus being able to run the ball and control the game. Hopefully the D line plays well, we have Bazata back at DT and our DE's have experience and are solid. LB corp should be the best that the Pokes face all year, DB's are young but will be solid. Yes its the first game, and the young DB's will be tested. Ragumba held his own last year with more talented Michigan WR's. I think with Hesse, the Nelson's and now AJ at DE, we should be able to pressure the QB. So to me its simple, if Iowa comes to play, don't make mistakes they win, if they don't it will be a dogfight as was the NDSU game. Of course, that is the recipe for every Iowa game, play there game, no mistakes and they usually win, when they don't, it's always a frustrating to watch dogfight.
We have bodies stacked up at DE. Golston, Simon, McKnight...shoot, Brincks is listed on the current depth chart. And they are recruiting Waggoner.

As we all should know by now, the bolded part is a double-edged sword. Especially against underdogs that start to get that "we can pull this off after all" feeling.
True, but the major problem with NDSU was that we did turn it over,(for a pick six), and that put them firmly in the game. We also failed to score when we had the ball, quite often. Obviously the plan would be to control the ball, AND score.

The UW Ticket Office revealed that 1,250 tickets have been sold for the Wyoming at Iowa game. They said there's about 500 left. Nice representation by the Brown and Gold.

The three young corners should improve as they gain experience. I am worried about our safeties, Taylor needs to take the next step, Gervase as well, only young guys behind them. If everyone stays healthy, we should be fine, but another injury or two could have quite the impact on our secondary.

Saw CJ Johnson play quite a bit at Bellevue West. Dude is a freaking stud. Hope the DB's are ready to go and don't get caught sleeping

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT