ADVERTISEMENT

Know the foe

I only saw one Wyoming game last year and that was against New Mexico. I think the Lobos only threw 5 or 6 passes, ran for over 500 yards.
Same here. I'm going to assume that was a poor representation of what the Cowboys normally play like.

I only saw one Wyoming game last year and that was against New Mexico. I think the Lobos only threw 5 or 6 passes, ran for over 500 yards.

Yeah, that was a trap game for the Pokes. They had clinched the division the week before and went on the road for the last regular game of the season to face a team they beat handily the year before. The Lobos came to play and Wyoming did not.

I think you guys had a couple players from the Cedar Rapids area at one time too.

Cole Turner who is a backup on their OL and Daniel Vega who accepted a scholarship and I believe went to camp and decided it wasn't for him. I think he went to Iowa for a semester and tried to walk on. He is now on the Coe football team that just went undefeated. Both Xavier grads. Vega was a stud on defense for the back to back runner up teams at Xavier.

Cole Turner who is a backup on their OL and Daniel Vega who accepted a scholarship and I believe went to camp and decided it wasn't for him. I think he went to Iowa for a semester and tried to walk on. He is now on the Coe football team that just went undefeated. Both Xavier grads. Vega was a stud on defense for the back to back runner up teams at Xavier.

I had forgotten about Vega. Too bad he didn't stick it out. He'd been a great addition to the Cowboy's D.

Here's good analysis of this year's Wyoming team by posters on the WYONation message board, particularly by carbonpoke: http://wyonation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16252&p=206586#p206586

Thanks for the entertaining read. Good to know Wyoming fans just like Iowa and any message board fans for other schools with overly bias opinion. Like the one guy who doesn't think it's a big deal about losing top 2 WR, RB to the NFL or TE. I don't care what school you are unless you are maybe Alabama or OSU there is going to be some sort of drop off. Or the other who doesn't think Iowa will be able to run on them. We ran well against Michigan and Nebraska and even ground success against Florida with our whole line back and Wadley but yet think Wyoming DL will do better. And I know rebuttal will be NDSU game however both Daniels and Welsh were out that game so I'm going out on a limb here and saying if Iowa OL is intact for that game Iowa should run the ball well.

Was there any news about why he left?
Strictly conjecture on my part, but based on posts on Wyo Nation when he left, I think he wasn't ready to commit to the hard work Coach Bohl was going to require to get the program turned around. Coach Bohl's motto at the time was "Those who stay will be champions". Just by that statement, he wanted kids to commit to his plan and expected a new dedication to work harder than they ever had. I think there were a number of kids that couldn't make the commitment and moved on.

Strictly conjecture on my part, but based on posts on Wyo Nation when he left, I think he wasn't ready to commit to the hard work Coach Bohl was going to require to get the program turned around. Coach Bohl's motto at the time was "Those who stay will be champions". Just by that statement, he wanted kids to commit to his plan and expected a new dedication to work harder than they ever had. I think there were a number of kids that couldn't make the commitment and moved on.

I can't say for sure that's why Vega left, but you are right about Bohl changing the culture of the program. Last year that stance started to bear fruit. I expect a continued upward trajectory.

I can't say for sure that's why Vega left, but you are right about Bohl changing the culture of the program. Last year that stance started to bear fruit. I expect a continued upward trajectory.
Going to be tough for Wyo. CSU should be able to dominate recruiting & the Mtn division with their new stadium.

Going to be tough for Wyo. CSU should be able to dominate recruiting & the Mtn division with their new stadium.

Even with their new stadium on the horizon Wyoming out-recruited the sheep in Colorado. Besides, Bohl casts a pretty wide net beyond Colorado.

Even with their new stadium on the horizon Wyoming out-recruited the sheep in Colorado. Besides, Bohl casts a pretty wide net beyond Colorado.
You'll lose head to head recruiting against CSU. No kid in their right mind would chose Wyo/Laramie over CSU/Ft Collins. Wyo is going to become a fallback offer to recruits.

Nice stadium, but after the first game, likely won't see much of an attendance for that new stadium. Ft. Collins really doesn't support CSU football. Not too worried about the recruiting aspect. In fact, two days ago they lost one of their own. Zach could almost see the new stadium from his house.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/spo...-zach-watts-says-hell-sign-wyoming/505092001/
CSU is having record season ticket sales. They're getting a bunch of southern recruits now as well. Wyo has struggled with CSU the last 5 years (except last year) & that should only get worse for you guys with the new stadium.

Last edited:
You'll lose head to head recruiting against CSU. No kid in their right mind would chose Wyo/Laramie over CSU/Ft Collins. Wyo is going to become a fallback offer to recruits.

We have 20 Colorado kids on our roster this year. They all picked Wyoming over CSU.

The former staff got away from recruiting Colorado and that hurt our program. Coach Bohl realizes how important Colorado is and has made great strides to get the kids back in the program. Currently Wyoming has 20 kids on roster of 100 from Colorado. On the other hand, csu has 36 kids from Colorado on a roster of 106. Smacked csu in the mouth last year in their on back yard and we have them at home this year. I'm sure we will welcome the Southern kids to the friendly confines of War Memorial at 7220 feet. Coming to your place though well before that and I can't wait! Only a month away.

The former staff got away from recruiting Colorado and that hurt our program. Coach Bohl realizes how important Colorado is and has made great strides to get the kids back in the program. Currently Wyoming has 20 kids on roster of 100 from Colorado. On the other hand, csu has 36 kids from Colorado on a roster of 106. Smacked csu in the mouth last year in their on back yard and we have them at home this year. I'm sure we will welcome the Southern kids to the friendly confines of War Memorial at 7220 feet. Coming to your place though well before that and I can't wait! Only a month away.
War Memorial has been very friendly to CSU the last few times they've played there I think. Last time for sure. Don't even get me started on bball.

War Memorial has been very friendly to CSU the last few times they've played there I think. Last time for sure. Don't even get me started on bball.

The most consecutive wins the Lambs have had over Wyoming is five. The most consecutive wins the Pokes have over the Ewes is 10.

So the sheep have a new pen. Great. They've spent tons of money to move their football apathy on campus. That's OK by me. Last time they had an on-campus stadium Wyoming beat them like a drum. Let the tradition continue.

In case you can't tell, I hate the sheep...

The most consecutive wins the Lambs have had over Wyoming is five. The most consecutive wins the Pokes have over the Ewes is 10.

So the sheep have a new pen. Great. They've spent tons of money to move their football apathy on campus. That's OK by me. Last time they had an on-campus stadium Wyoming beat them like a drum. Let the tradition continue.

Wasn't the new stadium one of the selling points they tried to make to the Big 12. I just remember they thought they had a chance maybe getting one of the 2 spots but I thought long shot at best last year. Not sure if their fan base thought it was possible.

The Wyoming game comes down to one thing (much like the NDSU game, the ISU game etc every year)... Does Kirk treat it like a preseason game or one that counts? The slow start thing is one of KFz's blind spots...and it burns us regularly in the non-con.

The "let's have a good team by the end off the season"...instead of ..."by opening day". Sure, every team improves as the season progresses (unless you stink), but you gotta be ready when the ball is kicked off in early September too.

Reactions: Earn898

You should by the way the Rams dominate the Calfboys!

The Wyoming game comes down to one thing (much like the NDSU game, the ISU game etc every year)... Does Kirk treat it like a preseason game or one that counts? The slow start thing is one of KFz's blind spots...and it burns us regularly in the non-con.

The "let's have a good team by the end off the season"...instead of ..."by opening day". Sure, every team improves as the season progresses (unless you stink), but you gotta be ready when the ball is kicked off in early September too.

The problem KF has in these games is he relies on Iowa to out-execute the opponent (maybe that goes for every game plan). There's no plan of anything but plain vanilla offense in these games where Iowa is the superior team going in. Iowa will simply play a power game and it seems like Wyoming wants exactly that. Now, if the whole OL is healthy and Iowa keeps moving the ball, Wyoming won't have any chance. But their fans sure seem confident that the Wyoming offense will score.

Bohl is a hell of a coach, and he wants to play power ball with us. Are we ready for that? These guys aren't going to fold.

Reactions: HawkIDrummer
The problem KF has in these games is he relies on Iowa to out-execute the opponent (maybe that goes for every game plan). There's no plan of anything but plain vanilla offense in these games where Iowa is the superior team going in. Iowa will simply play a power game and it seems like Wyoming wants exactly that. Now, if the whole OL is healthy and Iowa keeps moving the ball, Wyoming won't have any chance. But their fans sure seem confident that the Wyoming offense will score.

Bohl is a hell of a coach, and he wants to play power ball with us. Are we ready for that? These guys aren't going to fold.

Yep, much like NDSU last year. Kirk has always been reluctant to embrace the idea of adjusting for the opponent. Making adjustments doesn't mean you're selling your soul, it's all about....wait for it.... giving your team the best chance to win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT