ADVERTISEMENT

Koch / Harding video assessment

DanHawkPella

HR Legend
Jul 24, 2001
Posted in the Lounge, thought I'd share here if interested.

Just a few takes watching the videos from our 2 commitments yesterday.

Post your own if they differ or I missed something.

HARDING:

• Very athletic and plays that way, his quickness and agility stick out but plays under control - his game is pretty tight
  • Very unbiased with the ball - attacks left or right with no problem.
  • Wide array of change of direction moves - very tight spin dribble to change directions, very quick and agile hesitation, crossover and retreat dribble
  • Very unbiased shot selection - will pull up for jumpers going either direction; hits contested layups from either side with either hand; hits floaters or turn arounds in the lane from either side
    • Worth noting - right handed players will finish with their inside hand (right) on left sided layups frequently to get under the blocked shot, but I seldom see right handers do this from the right side because it is a left handed (weak hand) finish, but I believe he did this in the video.
  • Ambidextrous passing - has many left handed one hand baseball passes in the half court to teammates under the hoop on on the weak side, which is his weak hand so very impressive.
  • 3 point range out beyond the college line (critical for him to force defenders to come out as it sets up all of his dribble drive game) with good form (not sure on percentages last year)
  • His vertical is probably most important in that it allows him to hang in the air longer, which allows him more time to hit floaters or find guys for passes.
  • His use of the pivot when it the paint after he gives up his dribble is very good for a guard. Great balance and awareness of where his shot window (for a short player) opportunities are and sets up defenders with fakes and pivots.
  • Very good passer - hit teammates with a large variety of pass types and passing angles. Good vision and feel for where the passing lane is and his teammate is.
  • Not much defensively to go on - very quick and will be good off the ball in denial and can finish on the break off steals. Challenge will be on ball defense or defending cutters in the half court because once the 6'2" 210lb guard he's guarding cuts to the rim it can be a lot like a CB trying to guard a TE on a 10 yard hitch route......hard to stop.
If you compare the variety of skills shown in this video with Joe Touissant or Ulis, for example, you will see a player who is not as physical as either but has a MUCH, MUCH broader skill set and who knows how to use it while being under control. Clearly the physicality of the B10 will pose a challenge, but from a pure skill perspective he looks as good as I've seen from our PG recruits under Fran. Bowen is the other one who has many of these traits, although I'd argue Harding maybe even has a few more skills than Bowen, but without the size Bowen brings. Both are players who can get into the paint and make the passes you would hope they can make but still be a threat from 3 or with floaters when teams try to take the drive and dish game away.

KOCH:

• Less video to go on, but appears very much to be a PF/SF combo who prefers to face up in the half court
  • High level passer from the high post or wings - good vision and crisp, accurate passes to cutters or on high/low post feeds. Very willing passer, unselfish.
  • Elite shooter - very much like Sandfort in his quick release and ease at which he just gets beautiful looking shots off from deep
  • Able to get shots off from mid-range if given any space from the defender - forces defenders to be up on their toes which allows him to drive past them at times. His shooting sets up his drives because without the threat of that quick face up shot it would be harder for him to win with just quickness
  • Does have some low post game but isn't super strong yet so likely prefers the face up game from the porch, mid-post, high post or from the arc
  • Good ability to finish at the rim with either hand
  • Good ball handling in the open court and ability to finish on the break - not as athletic as Aaron White but seems similar when driving with the ball
  • Could get taller which would make him likely a pure stretch 4 imo, but with elite ball skills for that position. How strong he gets may be the question
  • Unclear how good he is on defense - has length but average "burst" on jumping or agility. Will be best as a PF defensively probably but will need strength to be a good B10 rebounder or guard 6'9" guys in the post.
The guy that comes to mind watching him is (a shorter) Dirk Nowitzki because of how good his face up game is with his length, especially if he grows a bit more. A pure shooter who doesn't need much room, but also a great passer from any spot on the floor. Those skills set up his ability to get by defenders to the rim where he can finish with finesse/skill more than strength. Not an elite jumper but because of his ball position on shots and his high IQ he can still get shots off and be a playmaker. Should be a very high level player in the B10 who can be a high "points responsible for" player with his points, assists and just spacing that he gives on the offensive end. I have zero concerns offensively, will need to work on his body and technique to hold up defensively but length and IQ should help.

Last edited:

HARDING:

• Very athletic and plays that way, his quickness and agility stick out but plays under control - his game is pretty tight
  • Wide array of change of direction moves - very tight spin dribble to change directions, very quick and agile hesitation, crossover and retreat dribble
  • Very unbiased shot selection - will pull up for jumpers going either direction; hits contested layups from either side with either hand; hits floaters or turn arounds in the lane from either side
    • Worth noting - right handed players will finish with their inside hand (right) on left sided layups frequently to get under the blocked shot, but I seldom see right handers do this from the right side because it is a left handed (weak hand) finish, but I believe he did this in the video.
  • Ambidextrous passing - has many one handed baseball passes in the half court to teammates under the hoop on on the weak side, which is his weak hand so very impressive.
  • 3 point range out beyond the college line (critical for him to force defenders to come out as it sets up all of his dribble drive game) with good form (not sure on percentages last year)
  • His vertical is probably most important in that it allows him to hang in the air longer, which allows him more time to hit floaters or find guys for passes.
  • His use of the pivot when it the paint after he gives up his dribble is very good for a guard. Great balance and awareness of where his shot window (for a short player) opportunities are and sets up defenders with fakes and pivots.
  • Very good passer - hit teammates with a large variety of pass types and passing angles. Good vision and feel for where the passing lane is and his teammate is.
  • Not much defensively to go on - very quick and will be good off the ball in denial and can finish on the break off steals. Challenge will be on ball defense or defending cutters in the half court because once the 6'2" 210lb guard he's guarding cuts to the rim it can be a lot like a CB trying to guard a TE on a 10 yard hitch route......hard to stop.
If you compare the variety of skills shown in this video with Joe Touissant or Ulis, for example, you will see a player who is not as physical as either but has a MUCH, MUCH broader skill set and who knows how to use it while being under control. Clearly the physicality of the B10 will pose a challenge, but from a pure skill perspective he looks as good as I've seen from our PG recruits under Fran. Bowen is the other one who has many of these traits, although I'd argue Harding maybe even has a few more skills than Bowen, but without the size Bowen brings. Both are players who can get into the paint and make the passes you would hope they can make but still be a threat from 3 or with floaters when teams try to take the drive and dish game away.

KOCH:

• Less video to go on, but appears very much to be a PF/SF combo who prefers to face up in the half court
  • High level passer from the high post or wings - good vision and crisp, accurate passes to cutters or on high/low post feeds. Very willing passer, unselfish.
  • Elite shooter - very much like Sandfort in his quick release and ease at which he just gets beautiful looking shots off from deep
  • Able to get shots off from mid-range if given any space from the defender - forces defenders to be up on their toes which allows him to drive past them at times. His shooting sets up his drives because without the threat of that quick face up shot it would be harder for him to win with just quickness
  • Does have some low post game but isn't super strong yet so likely prefers the face up game from the porch, mid-post, high post or from the arc
  • Good ball handling in the open court and ability to finish on the break - not as athletic as Aaron White but seems similar when driving with the ball
  • Could get taller which would make him likely a pure stretch 4 imo, but with elite ball skills for that position. How strong he gets may be the question
  • Unclear how good he is on defense - has length but average "burst" on jumping or agility. Will be best as a PF defensively probably but will need strength to be a good B10 rebounder or guard 6'9" guys in the post.
The guy that comes to mind watching him is (a shorter) Dirk Nowitzki because of how good his face up game is with his length, especially if he grows a bit more. A pure shooter who doesn't need much room, but also a great passer from any spot on the floor. Those skills set up his ability to get by defenders to the rim where he can finish with finesse/skill more than strength. Not an elite jumper but because of his ball position on shots and his high IQ he can still get shots off and be a playmaker. Should be a very high level player in the B10 who can be a high "points responsible for" player with his points, assists and just spacing that he gives on the offensive end. I have zero concerns offensively, will need to work on his body and technique to hold up defensively but length and IQ should help.
Koch wears #33. He’s the next Larry Bird.

Reactions: NevadaHawk

HARDING:

• Ambidextrous passing - has many one handed baseball passes in the half court to teammates under the hoop on on the weak side, which is his weak hand so very impressive.

KOCH:

Couldn't agree with you more on Harding. Ncely done.

Very comprehensive analyses. Agree completely on Harding, and really like where Iowa is going forward at PG.

I can't tell much from the short tape on Koch, except he has good size and a pretty shot.

Thx as always Dan. I did have some flashbacks to watching his dad on some videos but think he if further along from a skills perspective. Maybe a more skilled Aaron White? Harding will be fun to watch get stronger.

Reactions: DanHawkPella
Thx as always Dan. I did have some flashbacks to watching his dad on some videos but think he if further along from a skills perspective. Maybe a more skilled Aaron White? Harding will be fun to watch get stronger.
I would say he has nearly opposite strengths to Aaron White.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT