ADVERTISEMENT

KOK will make $540,000/yr over next 3 years; Currently makes $115K more/yr than BF

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Ken O'Keefe will be paid $540,000 annually in his new role as quarterbacks coach for the Iowa football team. The deal is for 3 years.

Brian Ferentz does not have a new contract (after his promotion to Offensive Coordinator) and continues to be paid his salary of $425,000 per year, university officials told the Des Moines Register.

Story: http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ng-540k-hawkeyes-quarterbacks-coach/97914524/

From the Gazette:

When O’Keefe left Iowa in 2011, he made just more than $300,000 as offensive coordinator. Last season, former offensive coordinator Greg Davis, defensive coordinator Phil Parker and strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle made $625,000 apiece.

O’Keefe also received a three-year contract, which is unprecedented at Iowa. O’Keefe’s contract began Feb. 2 and runs through June 30, 2020. That’s three seasons for a total payout of $1.62 million. Also, O’Keefe will have use of a courtesy car.

Iowa had stayed away from multiyear contracts for football assistants until last fall. In his new contract with Iowa, Ferentz has a clause that states assistants who’ve been at Iowa for five or more years are eligible for two-year contracts.

On Jan. 9, Brian Ferentz was moved from offensive line coach to offensive coordinator. As it stands at the moment, the UI hasn’t termed this a “promotion” but a “reassignment of duties within the same job classification.” Brian Ferentz’s salary remains $425,000. When Kirk Ferentz announced Brian’s appointment to offensive coordinator, he was vague on the contract details. The Iowa staff was in the midst of finishing the 2017 recruiting class, so that’s probably next on the administrative agenda and the salary likely will go up.

“(Brian) gets a little bigger office. That’s the good news,” Kirk Ferentz said Jan. 9. “The bad news is it’s right next to mine. ... But he’s still on our staff, so there’s nothing official on this whole thing (the move to coordinator). We’ll wait till we get everything together and then we’ll figure all that stuff out.”

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-pays-for-okeefes-wealth-of-experience-20170215

Starting to see coordinators make over a million now at big schools so not as surprised by some of these assistant salaries anymore. I'm sure KOK let them know if he was going to leave his nice job in Miami he would need to be compensated well.

Starting to see coordinators make over a million now at big schools so not as surprised by some of these assistant salaries anymore. I'm sure KOK let them know if he was going to leave his nice job in Miami he would need to be compensated well.
Aranda, DC at LSU, is just under 2 mil/year.

I was a bit surprised ole' Kenny got a 200K raise and dropped the OC responsibilities from his last go round at Iowa. I hope it's money well spent. I have to imagine he's going to have much more input than your typical QB coach. Mentorship time!

Aranda, DC at LSU, is just under 2 mil/year.

Wow knew he was one of them didn't know it was that good. But this is why with $ you see a OC or DC at smaller school leave to take position coach at bigger school as we saw with Iowa this week. Even few instances in past couple of years HC has left a smaller FBS job to take coordinator job at Power 5 schools.

And although I don't care per se as its part of the free market system of which I understand and subscribe too. Its still out of line and the most interesting thing is the people who complain and take it so seriously are the ones driving the monies...

NFL QB's making 15-20 mill, BbaLL & basketballers making 20 mill, its insane.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
BF will be getting paid $1 million a year or plus as OC. Much easier to give that when the qb coach is getting $500k plus. Then when he takes over as head ball coach, he will be a cash cow. If he has the success to back it up, I don't think anyone will mind. Hope we see tremendous to do it.

Also, kind of shocking to see the new coaches have so much disparity in their pay too. You'd think in today's ps society that they would have similar salaries.

And although I don't care per se as its part of the free market system of which I understand and subscribe too. Its still out of line and the most interesting thing is the people who complain and take it so seriously are the ones driving the monies...

Would you prefer to see the owners pocketing that money?

Would you prefer to see the owners pocketing that money?
No I'd prefer they hadn't priced the average fan out of the market. Between ticket prices, $25 to $50 to park your car, and concessions a family of four can easily drop $500 to $600 at a single game, and these are not high end tickets. There's no reason these guys need to make that kind of money. Eventually with the continued upgrade of the home theatre experience, these guys are going to price Joe average out of game attendance. You'll have half empty stadiums with fat cats who don't really care whats going on the field. There has to be a point,(and i think we get closer every year), where their going to kill the golden goose.
I think the next step for the NFL to combat this is to pull most of the games off the networks, and do pay-per-view on the NFL network. This may be the last straw for a lot of fans, but time will tell, I guess.

Basic economic theory says that the cost of production doesn't drive the cost of the product. Demand drives the cost of the product.

Before there are half empty stadiums, ticket prices will go down. MLB, NBA and NFL all are moving towards smaller stadiums where ticket scarcity drives up prices. College football is the lone sport that keeps building bigger and bigger stadiums, due to high demand.

I doubt we would ever see NFL take all their games off free TV.

Reactions: Mountain Man Hawk
Basic economic theory says that the cost of production doesn't drive the cost of the product. Demand drives the cost of the product.

Before there are half empty stadiums, ticket prices will go down. MLB, NBA and NFL all are moving towards smaller stadiums where ticket scarcity drives up prices. College football is the lone sport that keeps building bigger and bigger stadiums, due to high demand.

I doubt we would ever see NFL take all their games off free TV.
Maybe not, but I'd bet you start seeing more of the plum games moved. As for the college stadiums, its just another case of the rich getting richer. The big guns, OSU, Michigan, Bama, the bigger SEC schools maybe. A lot of schools like Iowa are struggling to fill stadiums. In 2019 seating capacity at Kinnick will drop below 70K for the first time in years. They'll try to make up that revenue with nicer ammenities for the big money folks. It just seems like its getting much harder financially for the average fan to take in the game day experience.

No I'd prefer they hadn't priced the average fan out of the market. Between ticket prices, $25 to $50 to park your car, and concessions a family of four can easily drop $500 to $600 at a single game, and these are not high end tickets. There's no reason these guys need to make that kind of money. Eventually with the continued upgrade of the home theatre experience, these guys are going to price Joe average out of game attendance. You'll have half empty stadiums with fat cats who don't really care whats going on the field. There has to be a point,(and i think we get closer every year), where their going to kill the golden goose.
I think the next step for the NFL to combat this is to pull most of the games off the networks, and do pay-per-view on the NFL network. This may be the last straw for a lot of fans, but time will tell, I guess.
so you prefer scalpers make the most money?

what about musicians and actors making millions?

Easiest way to make millions is to affect millions, which is what entertainers do......

It's weird a guy makes more throwing a football a couple years than a brain surgeon makes in a lifetime, but it is what it is.

Easiest way to make millions is to affect millions, which is what entertainers do......

It's weird a guy makes more throwing a football a couple years than a brain surgeon makes in a lifetime, but it is what it is.

I simply replied to his post asking if I preferred the owners keep all the money. Just wish the whole thing was scaled back, so it wasn't so damned expensive to attend any event. I know thats not realistic, just my .02 cents. As far as actors and musicians, I get it. Its just bothers me when I hear stores about some of the above mentioned "stars", and how they'll party away 100's of thousands of dollars on an evening out. Hell they might as well just take their money in a garbage can and set in on fire for all the good it does. Just the way it is though.

College coaching salaries are out of line, IMO, but when boosters, ticket holders and TV viewers demand the very best, what else would you expect? There is plenty of money to go around, since no of the enormous revenue bounty has to go back to the school.

You subscribe to out of line insanity according to what you just posted. I suggest you get more comfortable with criticism of the free market system or more comfortable with its results. It's a bit odd to defend a system and be critical of the fruits of the system. Pick a position.

You subscribe to out of line insanity according to what you just posted. I suggest you get more comfortable with criticism of the free market system or more comfortable with its results. It's a bit odd to defend a system and be critical of the fruits of the system. Pick a position.

They aren't mutually exclusive, I can understand what and who drives it and find it insane as well and in fact I do....:D

And in doing my part I watch less sports period every year and less movies too. If I find some actor or director boorish I quit watching their stuff and I don't buy jerseys or hats hardly ever.

But to be fair per the above statement "some" brain surgeons do indeed make that kind of money in fact the board members and CEOs etc. Etc.... of many of these multi gazillion dollar companies now make that kind of money.

Reactions: Shafthawk
Since I have never attended an NFL game, bought their merchandise, and don't even watch many regular season games on TV anymore, I blame the rest of y'all.

Stop supporting spoiled, rich athletes and owners and the prices come back down.

I never understood why people think it's so expensive to goto games.
Iowa always has 2-4 games with youth tickets available for $25. Sure, they aren't the most exciting games, but if you're bringing your kids, they don't care who the opponent is.

Parking is free if you take the shuttle. Again, the option is there if you want to save $20.

You can bring in water to the game. That'll save you $5 a bottle.

Don't want to overspend on stadium food? Eat before you get to Kinnick.

With the exception of usually 1 or 2 home games, you can get inside Kinnick for less than face value nearly all the time. Stubhub is the best thing a buyer could ask for.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Iowa always has 2-4 games with youth tickets available for $25. Sure, they aren't the most exciting games, but if you're bringing your kids, they don't care who the opponent is.

Parking is free if you take the shuttle. Again, the option is there if you want to save $20.

With the exception of usually 1 or 2 home games, you can get inside Kinnick for less than face value nearly all the time. Stubhub is the best thing a buyer could ask for.

All very good points, some people lament the fact that it used to be somewhat affordable to have season tickets for your kids. Or they miss the knothole tickets where I could get in for $2 and see Penn State or USC, when parking by the railroad tracks didn't require a home equity loan, you know 'the good old days' Commings era. You can get kids into the non conference games fairly inexpensively but to develop the passion a kid has to see the passion, a Michigan, Wisconsin, O$U etc. to understand it.

A lot of schools like Iowa are struggling to fill stadiums. In 2019 seating capacity at Kinnick will drop below 70K for the first time in years.

Schools are maximizing revenue at the cost of making sure every seat is filled. Which is a little disappointing, but not a sign of weak demand. Kinnick edging under 70k isn't a big deal, its still bigger than roughly half of NFL stadiums. Only 13(!) NFL stadiums have a higher capacity than Kinnick.

Because they don't want to go see Miami(OH) and Wyoming and pay reasonable prices. They want to see Penn State and Michigan, yet expect reasonable prices for the highest demand games.

What I originally responded to was basically who should get the lions share of this golden egg, the spoiled rich athletes,(pros), or the owners. We weren't originally talking about college games, it morphed into that. I go to a few chiefs games, and its very expensive. Unfortunately don't get to many Hawk games anymore, as I usually work Saturday morning and its almost 11 hours of driving round trip. Thats a tough deal, and try to be back in KC by Sunday evening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT