ADVERTISEMENT

Kolby Franklin

Arnold will probably be 74 but might still grow some and end up at 84
Franklin 97
Kueter hwt hopefully for more than 1 or 2 years. That might be the best or one of the best heavier lineups we have ever had
Add PK and Riggins while you’re at it!

165-PK/Riggs
174-PK/Riggs/Arnold
184-Arnold/Riggs
197-Franklin
HWT-Kueter

Salty AF on paper.

Loved the interview. Huge fan of arnold and kolby. Kolby couldn’t make the sem lineup tho. Got beat out!!! I do see him being so much better in college. See arnold at 84 and kolby at 97!!

Loved the interview. Huge fan of arnold and kolby. Kolby couldn’t make the sem lineup tho. Got beat out!!! I do see him being so much better in college. See arnold at 84 and kolby at 97!!
Well many of their tournaments were using the older weight classes so he was going to have to cut too much weight to make 189 or beat a guy out wrestling up a weight at 215. The guy who wrestled 195 in his place after he left didn't beat him out.

A lot of guys bunched in there. which one is going to beat Penn State? I would guess PK if at 165?
I am not sure what they have coming in at all of weights but I would take Kennedy and Arnold for sure. Franklin is going to be really good just don’t know what they have coming in at 197. As for Kueter I would say yes he wins but I don’t know how doing both football and wrestling will work out for Ben just yet.

I am not sure what they have coming in at all of weights but I would take Kennedy and Arnold for sure. Franklin is going to be really good just don’t know what they have coming in at 197. As for Kueter I would say yes he wins but I don’t know how doing both football and wrestling will work out for Ben just yet.
Right now they have Beard with 2 years left after Dean if he wants to wait.

Thanks for posting this. The only video I could find of Franklin was vs a kid named Levans and it’s a pretty sloppy match. Definitely looks improved.
I don’t think he’s a guy you can just pencil in to aa at 197.
He is definitely a recruit that I feel like we don't know much about. He got beat out on his team this year (wasn't at ideal weight), rankings are not great, and the video above didn't help much either. No real leg attacks until the end, and a loss in freestyle.

Reactions: el dub and Gobblin
He is definitely a recruit that I feel like we don't know much about. He got beat out on his team this year (wasn't at ideal weight), rankings are not great, and the video above didn't help much either. No real leg attacks until the end, and a loss in freestyle.
I’m optimistic.

Last edited:
Gonna be honest, I like the kid but I want the kids who can score on tough guys when they’re fresh. Gas tanks can be fixed. That other kid moved better and was all over Franklin until he got caught in one bad position then ran out of steam. Spencer can score on guys when they’re fresh better than anyone. Kem can too. This kid is far from dynamic. And Iowa doesn’t turn kids who aren’t dynamic into offensive gurus. No room really does that but that’s the point. I’d take a kid who can score with a bad tank over a guy with a great tank who struggles to generate his own offense except when the opponent is tired. I also get that this was freestyle and I’ve seen other matches of his. My opinion but this looks like the recruiting of old. Hope kolby shuts my mouth and wins a few titles but I’m not seeing it…at this point.

Gonna be honest, I like the kid but I want the kids who can score on tough guys when they’re fresh. Gas tanks can be fixed. That other kid moved better and was all over Franklin until he got caught in one bad position then ran out of steam. Spencer can score on guys when they’re fresh better than anyone. Kem can too. This kid is far from dynamic. And Iowa doesn’t turn kids who aren’t dynamic into offensive gurus. No room really does that but that’s the point. I’d take a kid who can score with a bad tank over a guy with a great tank who struggles to generate his own offense except when the opponent is tired. I also get that this was freestyle and I’ve seen other matches of his. My opinion but this looks like the recruiting of old. Hope kolby shuts my mouth and wins a few titles but I’m not seeing it…at this point.
Fair enough!

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
I view his style to date as a bit of a bull in a china shop. He has a lot of want to, good motor but kind of rough around the edges. He needs some polish and to get stronger, upper and lower body. Let's face it he is a 30 something overall guy not a top 10. We all hope he can make that leap but hard to tell. At least he will have a year in the room before Warner is done. We should have a good idea were things stand.

I view his style to date as a bit of a bull in a china shop. He has a lot of want to, good motor but kind of rough around the edges. He needs some polish and to get stronger, upper and lower body. Let's face it he is a 30 something overall guy not a top 10. We all hope he can make that leap but hard to tell. At least he will have a year in the room before Warner is done. We should have a good idea were things stand.
197 is unpredictable. not uncommon to see guys make big jumps from high school. but right now, he's not a guy i would predict to contribute for a while. sounds like a good kid who loves wrestling and a solid athlete, so that's a good start.

197 is unpredictable. not uncommon to see guys make big jumps from high school. but right now, he's not a guy i would predict to contribute for a while. sounds like a good kid who loves wrestling and a solid athlete, so that's a good start.
Totally agree with this view.

Guys that size that are elite athletes typically play football, so the number that wrestle might be a bit limited.

Time will tell.

I would take the bet but I’m rooting for the young man. He could develop some more and be really good. He’s probably already better than I ever was so I can only talk so much…

Reactions: Gobblin
Totally agree with this view.

Guys that size that are elite athletes typically play football, so the number that wrestle might be a bit limited.

Time will tell.
Agree.. There is a lot more growing into a 197 body than there is a 125 body.

Im encouraged by the gas tank, as I agree conditioning can be improved, but its *really* hard to improve the mental side of it.

Reactions: Gobblin and MitchLL
I'm extremely excited for any young man wise enough to choose T&T when PSU is the easier choice. That's a kid already bought in in my book. How about we wait till he's in the Iowa room before we pronounce him "very likely to be mediocre" I wonder if it really registers around here that the most valuable skills young men acquire in that room aren't on the mat. I know we're fans and all, but that's the reason I became an Iowa fan to begin with.

I'm extremely excited for any young man wise enough to choose T&T when PSU is the easier choice. That's a kid already bought in in my book. How about we wait till he's in the Iowa room before we pronounce him "very likely to be mediocre" I wonder if it really registers around here that the most valuable skills young men acquire in that room aren't on the mat. I know we're fans and all, but that's the reason I became an Iowa fan to begin with.
Not sure where I said he’d be very mediocre. Just pointing out that he’s not a dynamo on his feet and doesn’t seem too creative offensively. Those things seem to go hand in hand with high AA’s these days. Not the kind of recruit that I would look hard at but that’s not my job. And I don’t know all the details maybe he walked on like everyone at penn state does? Then this is a fabulous pickup. Like I said, hope he shuts my mouth.

Reactions: Gobblin and pml_dad
ADVERTISEMENT