ADVERTISEMENT

Kovid Kim adds more blackmail to local school systems. No sports for kids

The one issue I see for this is home taught kids. The precedent has already been set they do not need to be in a class room but can take advantage of activities at school.

Last edited:
I think schools and parents should have the choice of going 100% online and don't have a problem if that means no extra curricular activities

Reactions: ghost80
My issue is the timing. Extracurricular activities didn't come up until it became clear that many districts were going to do 100% online.

Dowling Catholic loves this idea. Wonder which of its alums met with Kim recently.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Somehow... summer softball and baseball were ok and so was USSSA sporting events.

Kimmy is being a hypocrite on this and throwing around idle threats. I can guarantee you she would be acting differently if she was on the ballot in November.

Damn, I despise that woman.:eek:

^^^
Mitch is a perfect example of a partisan hack.

Reactions: hawkcub
While I agree with you, the idiot governor didn’t have an issue opening summer sports up when the kids hadn’t been in school for months. What’s the difference?

Wait...wut?

Now you want the governor to mandate that schools be in session year round in order to justify sports being in session?

My issue is the timing. Extracurricular activities didn't come up until it became clear that many districts were going to do 100% online.

Dowling Catholic loves this idea. Wonder which of its alums met with Kim recently.

What does Dowling have to do with this?

And do you have any evidence to support your claim? Or are you just blowing hot air?

It makes perfect sense, and anyone who isn’t a blind, hate-filled political hack should be able to understand why. If it is “too risky” to hold in-person classes, then it is “too risky” to have sports. And having sports over the summer is irrelevant to whether there is sports in the fall.

It makes perfect sense, and anyone who isn’t a blind, hate-filled political hack should be able to understand why. If it is “too risky” to hold in-person classes, then it is “too risky” to have sports. And having sports over the summer is irrelevant to whether there is sports in the fall.
I am not a partisan hack. I already explained how they are apples and oranges. School is compulsory and involves all students. Sports/activities are voluntary and involve a small subset of students (or at most all of them, but broken into several subsets). They generate different risks. But more importantly, activities require COVID waivers. You can't make kids go to school and also require the parents to sign waivers. So the schools can't make students risk covid but parents/students can voluntarily do so. Also, coaches do not have to coach, but teachers have to teach. Voluntary school activities make just as much sense as allowing USSSA/Little league, club soccer, outdoor gatherings, restaurants/bars to be open, churches to be open, etc.

CDC says immunity might be gone after 3 months of catching COVID. Looks like we need to hide inside until there is a vaccine. See you sometime in 2021. Most of us will still be lucky to have jobs by then.

This was asked of Waukee weeks ago and they said the same thing at the time. If they have to go full on-line because of a spike in the school or county then they don’t see how sports could continue during that timeframe. However, Waukee gave parents the choice of full online or full brick and mortar so they are a little different than other schools.

I am not a partisan hack. I already explained how they are apples and oranges. School is compulsory and involves all students. Sports/activities are voluntary and involve a small subset of students (or at most all of them, but broken into several subsets). They generate different risks. But more importantly, activities require COVID waivers. You can't make kids go to school and also require the parents to sign waivers. So the schools can't make students risk covid but parents/students can voluntarily do so. Also, coaches do not have to coach, but teachers have to teach. Voluntary school activities make just as much sense as allowing USSSA/Little league, club soccer, outdoor gatherings, restaurants/bars to be open, churches to be open, etc.
Irrelevant. If it is too risky to have in-person school it is too risky to have extra-curricular activities. Waiver or not. Voluntary or not. You can’t have your cake and eat it, too. Non-school activities (such as club sports)......fine. But if it school sponsored/related.....no way.

And.........in life before Covid if a student does not attend school one day (or days), they cannot participate in an extra-curricular activity on any day they miss. At least that was the policy when I was in school, and that is the policy where my daughter and her husband teach. May not be the same everywhere, though.

Observation......does anybody ever admit to being a partisan hack?

Last edited:
But.........in life before Covid if a student does not attend school one day (or days), they cannot participate in an extra-curricular activity on any day they miss. At least that was the policy when I was in school, and that is the policy where my daughter and her husband teach.

Observation......does anybody ever admit to being a partisan hack?
It is clear you are. Or dumb. I'm not sure which. If a student fulfills the academic requirements and virtually attends school as permitted by a school district, they "attend" school. If a kid does not fulfill academic requirements as permitted by a school district, they did not "attend" school. So if a kid fails to go to school in a hybrid model on an assigned in-school day, they should not be able to play.

Well there is that whole school is about to start thing.

Reactions: herk90
Voluntary or not they are both run through the school.

Tenacious = Bagdad Bob

Deadenders to the core.
WTF are you talking about? Bagdad bob said everything was fine when it was dire. It is the MAGAs which are saying BFD to covid, life must go on. I am not advocating for remote learning or in-person hybrid. Our school district offered both and we chose in-person hybrid. Our son is also playing football. We are picking our battles based on what makes sense to us, much like I vote, issue by issue. There is no a one-size fits all approach. That is the stuff of hacks (like voting straight ticket).

Voluntary or not they are both run through the school.
What's your point? There is an on/off switch for everything touching the school? It's not like a situation where you can't be a little bit pregnant.

Last edited:
It is clear you are. Or dumb. I'm not sure which. If a student fulfills the academic requirements and virtually attends school as permitted by a school district, they "attend" school. If a kid does not fulfill academic requirements as permitted by a school district, they did not "attend" school. So if a kid fails to go to school in a hybrid model on an assigned in-school day, they should not be able to play.
Hey.....I fully support the idea that if a school is 100% online, then they can also have 100% online sports. Or choir. Or band.

Again....and I can’t see why you don’t understand this.....if the health risks are too great to hold in-person classes.....then the health risks are too great for sports or other extra-curricular activity (where there will be a greater concentration of people than in a classroom or hallway).

You simply cannot have it both ways. The fact that one is voluntary is totally irrelevant.

But...you will never change your mind. Nor I mine. However, I can at least respect your opinion, even if you don’t respect mine.

What's your point? There is on on/off switch for everything touching the school? It's not like a situation where you can't be a little bit pregnant.
If the school feels it's unsafe to do any in person learning it's hypocritical to allow extracurricular activities. Activities that could actually be more dangerous.

Hey.....I fully support the idea that if a school is 100% online, then they can also have 100% online sports. Or choir. Or band.

Again....and I can’t see why you don’t understand this.....if the health risks are too great to hold in-person classes.....then the health risks are too great for sports or other extra-curricular activity (where there will be a greater concentration of people than in a classroom or hallway).

You simply cannot have it both ways. The fact that one is voluntary is totally irrelevant.

But...you will never change your mind. Nor I mine. However, I can at least respect your opinion, even if you don’t respect mine.
I change my mind if I learn new information which changes my analysis. That is what adults and smart people do - like scientists who have evolved their opinions on mask wearing as they have learned new information. What I don't respect is you calling people partisan hacks basically because they don't agree with you.

With regard to risks, if there 1,000 kids and there is a hybrid model, a kid will be walking past and breathing the same air of 499 other kids throughout the day, indoors, not by choice. This is compared to a football team of 30 to 85 kids depending on grade/size of school/participation rate. So this is outdoors with many players never getting near other players. I.e., a corner and a center. Voluntarily and with no liability for the school (so long as they are not reckless or wanton, such as hiding information of positive COVID cases exposing others to it). They don't present the same risks, physical or legal.

If the school feels it's unsafe to do any in person learning it's hypocritical to allow extracurricular activities. Activities that could actually be more dangerous.
Could be more dangerous, but also could be safer. But I get it, you are a black/white guy. BTW do you think restaurants/bars should be open or closed, or is there some middle ground that is acceptable?

I'll probably piss myself laughing if one of these kids "moving" from out of state to be able to play football this fall picked an online school and still cannot play. Guess they will just have to move again.

Funny how the "storm chasers" showed up in our state this week and everyone thinks its terrible....but no one has issues with kids moving from Cali, Colorado, Illinois, ect to take our youngster spots on the sports rosters and everyone thinks that is ok. Except the kid (and his parents) who now finds himself riding pine .

I'll probably piss myself laughing if one of these kids "moving" from out of state to be able to play football this fall picked an online school and still cannot play. Guess they will just have to move again.

Funny how the "storm chasers" showed up in our state this week and everyone thinks its terrible....but no one has issues with kids moving from Cali, Colorado, Illinois, ect to take our youngster spots on the sports rosters and everyone thinks that is ok. Except the kid (and his parents) who now finds himself riding pine .
I would also find that humorous but unfortunately they are pretty much concentrating in schools going in person, at least part-time.

Taking this back to Kim, she cares about students’ well-being enough she’s trying to force in-school classes in spite of Covid-19. She also cares enough to cancel sports because of Covid-19 despite allowing summer participation.

Do I have that right?

Reactions: MitchLL
What fascinates me is how Kimmy starts flinging threats at schools that question her decisions.

She's a weak leader. Friday's Q and A in CR was another example. She took heat for a slow response and immediately gets defensive. What she claimed about applying for Federal aid was proven incorrect by the KGAN reporter.

There's that special waiver that allows States to apply before ALL the paperwork is submitted. She did not know that. How the hell does she NOT know that?

Iowans elected a ditz. Difficult times highlite her ineptness.

I’m having a hard time figuring out why this is outraging some of you lefties? It makes total sense. Don’t be a political hack on everything.
For me, it cements Kim's refusal to allow any local control. And all this political hack talk comes across as projection to me. Kim is breaking and rewriting her own guidelines and policies to force everyone back to school. It is clear it is to appease Trump. That is the height of political cronyism.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
I would also find that humorous but unfortunately they are pretty much concentrating in schools going in person, at least part-time.
Totally agree that the out of state interlopers generally selected in person or at least hybrid learn schools for this very reason. Their forethought of this before spending their money on a move and attaching their fall eligibility actually supports the Iowa Board and Governor attempt to enact this common sense move.

If the argument is that schools are compulsory but it’s too dangerous to have in-person class during a pandemic why on earth would a district sanction any voluntary non compulsory program?

Start a club program then.

If the argument is that schools are compulsory but it’s too dangerous to have in-person class during a pandemic why on earth would a district sanction any voluntary non compulsory program?

Start a club program then.
You missed the point here. This is about the Iowa Governor reacting to school districts defying her... again. She's fully aware that there are significant numbers of individuals and entities questioning her edicts.

This is just another attempted "power play" and she's pushing her authority rather than compromising. She prostitiuted herself to the WH and Iowans don't trust her anymore.

Kimmy is a weak, ineffective person who has surrounded herself with mostly female Dept heads who are "yes" people. That's not a sexist remark, it's an observation. Iowans deserve better leadership.

Umm. Because the state was opening up in the summer and she expected kids would be going back to school. Now that some schools are saying online only there will be some kids not going to school so hence they shouldn’t play school sponsored sports. How about that for a difference?
It was safer in March when she closed schools than it was when she decided to play summer sports. Sorry, there’s no way you can spin this other than an attempted strong arm to force a political stance.

It was safer in March when she closed schools than it was when she decided to play summer sports. Sorry, there’s no way you can spin this other than an attempted strong arm to force a political stance.
^^^^^^^^^^^^I have said this before... if she was on the ballot this fall, things would be VASTLY different. She's counting on Iowans to forget her incompetence by 2022.

I change my mind if I learn new information which changes my analysis. That is what adults and smart people do - like scientists who have evolved their opinions on mask wearing as they have learned new information. What I don't respect is you calling people partisan hacks basically because they don't agree with you.

With regard to risks, if there 1,000 kids and there is a hybrid model, a kid will be walking past and breathing the same air of 499 other kids throughout the day, indoors, not by choice. This is compared to a football team of 30 to 85 kids depending on grade/size of school/participation rate. So this is outdoors with many players never getting near other players. I.e., a corner and a center. Voluntarily and with no liability for the school (so long as they are not reckless or wanton, such as hiding information of positive COVID cases exposing others to it). They don't present the same risks, physical or legal.
And if there are 3,000 people sitting together in the stands watching a football game? Sorry...your argument doesn’t hold up.

Again...and I can’t say this enough....if a school district deems in-person classes as unsafe, then extra-curricular activities are unsafe. You cannot have it both ways. Period. End of story.

You can justify it all you want. You can say sports are LESS risky. But they are still risky. Whether 100 kids are exposed or 1000, it really doesn’t matter. You can’t say “Well, we simply can’t put 1000 kids at risk, but 100 is ok, especially if they sign a waiver.”

Personally, I think kids need to be in-school (with masks, distancing when possible, hand washing, etc.), and I am ok with allowing sports and other extra-curricular activities. But I don’t think schools with online only classes should allow sports or other activities. To do so is hypocritical.

WTF are you talking about? Bagdad bob said everything was fine when it was dire. It is the MAGAs which are saying BFD to covid, life must go on. I am not advocating for remote learning or in-person hybrid. Our school district offered both and we chose in-person hybrid. Our son is also playing football. We are picking our battles based on what makes sense to us, much like I vote, issue by issue. There is no a one-size fits all approach. That is the stuff of hacks (like voting straight ticket).

Bagdad Bob continued to argue a point that was untenable. You're doing the same.

ADVERTISEMENT