ADVERTISEMENT

Krause family of Kum & Go, Des Moines Menace, and Iowa athletics (Krause Family Plaza) fame, on the verge of taking over Italian soccer giants Parma

Menace Sockeyes

HR Legend
Sep 2, 2010
Yet another wild 2020 moment: Iowans owning a major Serie A club. Potentially in conjunction with the new USL Championship club they are starting that will replace the Menace.

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
I don't know what the books look like of individual clubs like Parma, but as a business investment, I would stay away from European soccer teams.

Seems like a lot of owners drop more money into the team than they get back. That's even true at big clubs.

It's not like the American sports leagues where a team is pretty much guaranteed to be profitable.

I don't know what the books look like of individual clubs like Parma, but as a business investment, I would stay away from European soccer teams.

Seems like a lot of owners drop more money into the team than they get back. That's even true at big clubs.

It's not like the American sports leagues where a team is pretty much guaranteed to be profitable.

$100 mil for a top flight club in one of the Big 4 leagues is a song.

Presume it’s more about prestige and branding than directly making money as a sporting club.

Parma has traditionally been a mid-table club their entire existence, with a spell of Coppa Italia and Europa League (then UEFA Cup) titles in the ‘90s and early 2000s. They went bankrupt and were automatically relegated for it in 2015, all the way to Serie D. The owners that took over eventually got them back to Serie A and just got them back to mid-table (11th) on one of the lowest total player wages last season.: https://images.app.goo.gl/N1GideMmUX6RpwUq8
Seems one of the better investments.

Parma has traditionally been a mid-table club their entire existence, with a spell of Coppa Italia and Europa League (then UEFA Cup) titles in the ‘90s and early 2000s. They went bankrupt and were automatically relegated for it in 2015. The owners that took over eventually got them back to Serie A and just got them back to mid-table (11th) on one of the lowest total player wages.: https://images.app.goo.gl/N1GideMmUX6RpwUq8
Seems one of the better investments.

That's the thing though. Mid-level or even low level NFL teams, NBA teams, NHL teams, MLB teams. They don't go bankrupt.

Now to be fair you probably can't get controlling share in one of those teams for only $100 million dollars. But quite frankly soccer teams in Europe seem like an extremely risky move from a business prospective.

That's the thing though. Mid-level or even low level NFL teams, NBA teams, NHL teams, MLB teams. They don't go bankrupt.

Now to be fair you probably can't get controlling share in one of those teams for only $100 million dollars. But quite frankly soccer teams in Europe seem like an extremely risky move from a business prospective.
Serie A in general is not what it once was, and wages at Parma are quite small. They got in trouble in the days before “financial fair play” rules when clubs borrowed heavily. Can’t do that anymore. As far as value, so many Americans are investing there as they see value in much lower prices for clubs there than in England, Spain, or France.

Can't say I've ever walked in to a Casey's and thought "wow, looks really nice in here."
The new ones are actually very good. Obviously they felt the heat from Kwik trip and upped their game.

Kwik trip is still the Best. Cheap bread milk eggs bananas and other items make it very easy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT