ADVERTISEMENT

Kriener vs Kyle Meyer

TriCityHawk

HR All-State
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2003
For anyone that has seen Kriener play how does he compare to how Meyer played since they are about the same size.

Completely different players. Kyle Meyer was not a banger in the slightest but had decent handles for his size. Kriener is tougher and doesn't mind banging inside, but not a great out shooter. Kriener, I think, is a much better prospect.

Meyer was a guard trapped in a true center's body.

Kriener appears to use his size as a traditional big would and is trying to add the 3 as an added dimension.

Reactions: jasonrann
Kreiner is long and can move. Meyer could not or would not bend his knees on defense. He wanted no part of any contact and thought himself a three and said so. Kreiner makes his money down low. Completely different players. Meyer was a good kid who left on good terms for a better situation for himself.

Reactions: 01135965
His HS highlight video showed an ability to run the floor and to finish. He dunked in many, many different ways.

That impressed me.

Didn't see too much back to the basket stuff that stood out. But, his feet seemed decent. Not sure he will be Brunner or Tuttle like though. That would be nice if he could development a back to the basket game like those 2

Didn't see too much outside game that stood out. But did see him hit some 3's in one video.

Decent handles for a big.

Although he dunked a lot (as a junior ) he didn't seem to get up extraordinarily well. Decent but not extraordinary.

Seems like a good player. How much remaining upside? I don't know.

I am thinking he hits
Scheffler+vs+Herrera.jpg
the weight room and becomes this guy!

Steve" Scheffler 6-9 250

Kyle Myer is a really odd person to bring up as a comparison considering he did virtually nothing at Iowa.

It's like asking how a QB compares to John Wenkie.

There's plenty of other 6'9 white guys that have been at Iowa that we've actually seen play.

I like Kreiner, and I think Iowa was smart to offer. He has a lot of other good offers, including Minnesota, Missouri, Wichita State. I think he is much better than Brady Ernst of Clinton, who was offered by Iowa State recently.

Reactions: SCHawkFan
Big kid. If the story about the long arms is true and he does have the ambidextrous skills inside he could be a good low post player. Like the idea of trying to lock down Iowa kids. Keeping Iowa D1 players at home means you've got to take an occasional flyer on a kid. Kind of missed on Lohaus, Morgan and at least one Bohannon. Maybe Kriener ends up giving us a couple of good years in the low post.

This social media Twitter world is amazing. Hopefully the recruits can start recruiting some bigger names and we make a nice splash in the BBall world....thereby expanding our social media cache and starting an upward spiral.

I am From Spirit Lake and did several of Ryan's games for media outlet here. He has great size and already high jumped 6'1 in track so has some leaping ability. Did not shoot free throws or threes well last year but was wearing a mask because broke nose late December and that hindered him form on shot looks good. Lots of room to improve and really wants to be good so I am sure he will put in the work. Should be a force by Junior year.

I am From Spirit Lake and did several of Ryan's games for media outlet here. He has great size and already high jumped 6'1 in track so has some leaping ability. Did not shoot free throws or threes well last year but was wearing a mask because broke nose late December and that hindered him form on shot looks good. Lots of room to improve and really wants to be good so I am sure he will put in the work. Should be a force by Junior year.

Thank you. Seems like many on the premium board don't like his potential. For the life of me I can't figure that out. There must have been a vote that with Woody gone next year we needed to pick a new guy to complain about.

6'1 for a 6'9 guy isn't that big of a feat. Not trying to tear him down but just being realistic

I quesiton you ability to judge high jumping and or athletic ability. High jumping is an extemely technical sport and you need to be athletic. I would agree that 6'9' might make it easier to clear 6'1", but for a kid that weighs 240-245lbs that is an acccomplishment and show some athleticism. I think him high clearing that height only makes him more intriguing as he gets older and stronger. go hawks.

I was hoping before that.

I quesiton you ability to judge high jumping and or athletic ability. High jumping is an extemely technical sport and you need to be athletic. I would agree that 6'9' might make it easier to clear 6'1", but for a kid that weighs 240-245lbs that is an acccomplishment and show some athleticism. I think him high clearing that height only makes him more intriguing as he gets older and stronger. go hawks.

Ah but, if Kriener dunks like he high jumps his career will be short.

Fortunately looking at his dunks on vids, that won't be a problem. I still see a kid that could use a lot of training to get in better shape, a talented kid, that when he gets in college level basketball conditioning will be:

Faster, better, stronger. At Iowa, we have the technology.

If he could be a solid rotation guy I am ok with this pickup but we MUST get cook. Cook will be a big difference maker from the bugging. Hopefully the staff can close

yes thanks for posting this.

For God's sake. Not every recruit has to be a front line starter. If he offers any legit contribution over the course of his career, then he was worth the schollie.

I hope he is a front line starter, but was Gabe Oleseni a front line starter? No. He was a very impressive 6th man, but still not a starter. And truly played his best over the last year and a half of his career.

I hope Kriener is a legit low post defender and rebounder. If he grows into something more than that, even better.

For anyone that has seen Kriener play how does he compare to how Meyer played since they are about the same size.
Speakimg of comparing, how do you feel Kriener compare`s to Woody at this stage? I don`t mean now, but when Woody was in highschool. Thanks

Krieners play in July moved him ahead of everyone on the board. Maybe not cook, but everyone else. That is why they offered. If he hadn't they would have just held off on the offer. Plan and simple, the hawks got the guy they wanted.

Speaking of comparing ,how do you compare Kriener to Woody coming out HS? He might be 6-10 by the time he get`s here. Thanks...

As a fan base, I think it is fair at this point to not be simply satisfied with having recruits that would be better than a quote unquote "Lickliter recruit."

In fact, it probably is fair to want more than a quote unquote "Early Fran recruit."

So is Kriener a "Lickliter" recruit?

From an offer standpoint the Andrew Brommer vs. Kriener comparison really is a blowout in terms of quality offers and physical stature.

Brommer offers: Dayton, Green Bay, Long Beach State, Santa Clara, etc.
In short, zero power 5 offers; in fact, zero NCAA tournament team offers.

Additionally, from a physical stature standpoint, Brommer weighed 215 lbs at the close of his junior year.

What about Meyer? I find Meyer interesting to ponder: Would he have played for Lickliter? Would he have played for Fran if he was a senior when Fran first started at Iowa? I guess what I'm insinuating is that I think Brommer played more in his Iowa career because of circumstance only.

Both Brommer and Meyer were simply poor DI players.

So what did Meyer's offers look like? East Carolina, Georgia St. and Mercer.

Weight? 220.

Clearly, with offers like Mizzou, Minny, UNI, Wichita, and Clemson (if reports are accurate, it was about to be extended), Kreiner is a higher profile recruit with a much more polished game and potential for impact. The offers say so and the physical stature difference between the bigs backs it up.

Reactions: icu81222 and BBHawk
hawki1968, you make interesting points. I appreciate the approach. If I might add a couple of thoughts.

1) Who the heck really knows what a recruit will bring until he brings it? That doesn't mean we can't get excited or even critical of a players potential. But the most critical posters on here do it over and over with every recruit. Kriener is a good example, people started complaining about him until they found out he had risen his stock considerably in July. Now the criticism dies down? Guess we all don't know so much until someone tells us. And frankly, those that tell us don't know that much either. Or we'd still be complaining about White, Olaseni, while at the same time talking about what a great top 150 player Oglesby was.

2) We don't get to see what goes on behind the scenes in recruiting. But one guy that has been very successful, by the numbers, is Tom Crean. Tell you what, I'll take McCaffery's results and Crean can have the crown of being a great recruiter.

One and done boys. Clearly a one and done.

I watched Woodbury in high school and he ran the floor very well but did not have good offensive moves. Was 7'0 and just went over the top of people. Woodbury had worst free throw form I had ever seen,(he has improved in all phases at Iowa,) Kriener is much further along than Woodbury was in High school but still has lot of room for improvement. Kriener showed flashes of great offense including a 16' turn around fade away once last year but basically stayed inside because that is where needed. Spirit Lake two good three pointer shooters last year,(one committed to North Dakota,) and was short other than Kriener inside. The young mans wants to do well and there was a lot of pressure on him last year and he performed well in most games but against bigger kids with D1 coaches watching was nervous and didn't do well. Needs work on foot work but blew up this summer against good talent will be interesting year to watch him. He is a young Senior too be just turning 18

Last edited:
Another Spirit Lake resident here.....I attended most of his games last year and I will say he is much more of a poor mans Nick Collison then he is Adam Woodbury. He has so much more potential offensively then Woodbury ever did. He uses both hands around the rim very well and has solid footwork. He is a better athlete then Woodbury as well but not as tall obviously. I will say he is a better shooter then his stats give him credit for. He shoots with a very soft touch and has great form. The only negative is sometimes he plays smaller then he is. He has the ability to play more above the rim then he does sometimes. I think he is a very talented kid that will need a couple of years but by a junior and senior will be a solid solid player.

Reactions: yiana and the tator
Another Spirit Lake resident here.....I attended most of his games last year and I will say he is much more of a poor mans Nick Collison then he is Adam Woodbury. He has so much more potential offensively then Woodbury ever did. He uses both hands around the rim very well and has solid footwork. He is a better athlete then Woodbury as well but not as tall obviously. I will say he is a better shooter then his stats give him credit for. He shoots with a very soft touch and has great form. The only negative is sometimes he plays smaller then he is. He has the ability to play more above the rim then he does sometimes. I think he is a very talented kid that will need a couple of years but by a junior and senior will be a solid solid player.
Is he a legit 6'9 or is he smaller?

Does he have room to grow?

Heard today from someone that has seen him play says the kid is big and has good skills with the ball. Room to grow much thicker and he's already not skinny.

Also heard the story was pretty much what others have heard. Kriener wanted Iowa and when the offers started to come in McC offered and Nick jumped on without hesitation. Playing on the national champ AAU team won't hurt his reputation.

Seems like a good fit both ways. Hawks will need size and center play and this kid will get a shot at minutes right away.

I would say he is a legit 6'8-6'9. His parents are both tall so it would not suprise me if he is still growing. He is def. not a skinny kid, has a good frame and will continue to put on muscle with a college workout regiment. I will also add that he will have to get better defensively. I think that is what he will have the hardest time adjusting to in college. He is a much better offensive player then he is defensive player right now. The kid average nearly 20 a game and in probably half the games last year struggled with foul trouble. He has to stay on the floor and learn to play D with his feet and not his hands.

Last edited:
I would say he is a legit 6'8-6'9. His parents are both tall so it would not suprise me if he is still growing. He is def. not a skinny kid, has a good frame and will continue to put on muscle with a college workout regiment. I will also add that he will have to get better defensively. I think that is what he will have the hardest time adjusting to in college. He is a much better offensive player then he is defensive player right now. The kid average nearly 20 a game and in probably half the games last year struggled with foul trouble. He has to stay on the floor and learn to play D with his feet and not his hands.

Being 6'9" 240lbs playing high school basketball in Iowa is worth 3 or 4 fouls right there ;)

Reactions: jasonrann
I would beg to differ that Kriener is way ahead of Woodbury in high school. Kriener seems to have more offensive skill but is no where near the defender Woodbury was. Woodbury had a very high basketball IQ and made those around him better, Kriener has yet to show that. Krieners value will be if he can develop into a banger and space eater.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT