ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray and the NBA Draft

ObeseMuffins

HR MVP
Jan 7, 2007
Kris has popped up on the 2023 NBA Draft Board - going 25th here. I don't think there's a drop off next year, IMO.

Reactions: BBHawk
Kris has popped up on the 2023 NBA Draft Board - going 25th here. I don't think there's a drop off next year, IMO.

With this Iowa team? It all depends on a few things:

How good is Bowen? If he's good right away, huge development.
What big can they get in transfer portal?
Can Perkins, PMac continue their improvement?

I do think Kr. Murray has a chance to be good. I worry that the expectations for how good he is going to be are a bit unrealistic. People expecting him to be as good as Keegan was this year, that might not happen. They are different players. Heck, if Kr. Murray goes for 15 and 8 next year that would be a great year. Some will see that as failure I'm sure.

With this Iowa team? It all depends on a few things:

How good is Bowen? If he's good right away, huge development.
What big can they get in transfer portal?
Can Perkins, PMac continue their improvement?

I do think Kr. Murray has a chance to be good. I worry that the expectations for how good he is going to be are a bit unrealistic. People expecting him to be as good as Keegan was this year, that might not happen. They are different players. Heck, if Kr. Murray goes for 15 and 8 next year that would be a great year. Some will see that as failure I'm sure.

People are expecting Kris to play 35 min per game at PF position and let the chips fall where there may. At least he won't be playing behind a McCaffery this year.

Kris stats this year on a 40 minute basis would translate to 21.7 ppg and 9.7 rebounds pergame, so 15 ppg for abut 35 mpg would be him scoring at worse pace. than he already scored at this past year. He already highly efficient scorer at 55% 2pt percentage and 39% 3pt percentage.

Kris is on the same trajectory as Keegan, except a year behind. He will be a star next year as well.

Reactions: Sett1997
I trust Kris will get the right advice from his family and coaches. Definitely has the skill set but could really benefit from another year at Iowa where he is the focal point and able to show more assertiveness. Potential Top 15 pick if he takes that next step, likely looking at a 2nd round selection if he leaves this year. At some point he and his bro need to go their own ways and I’d hate to see him leave just because Keegan is ready for the next step now.

Kris is on the same trajectory as Keegan, except a year behind. He will be a star next year as well.
I agree he is on a good trajectory, but the same? I could be forced to each crow but the odds are against it. The other point the OP forgets is if Kris is the replacement for Keegan (do we know Chris isn't declaring for the draft?), who is then the replacement for Kris's production from this year?

People are expecting Kris to play 35 min per game at PF position and let the chips fall where there may. At least he won't be playing behind a McCaffery this year.

Kris stats this year on a 40 minute basis would translate to 21.7 ppg and 9.7 rebounds pergame, so 15 ppg for abut 35 mpg would be him scoring at worse pace. than he already scored at this past year. He already highly efficient scorer at 55% 2pt percentage and 39% 3pt percentage.
I know what his stats would be on a Per 40-minute basis. I'm just saying that more minutes is not going to automatically mean that level of production. They are different players. Keegan has a better handle and more powerful near the basket. Until Keegan's surge at the end of the season, Kris was a better 3-point shooter. We will find out how Kris reacts to being defended by the other team's best player and being the focal point of the game plan. My guess is he will do really well.

I'm probably just anticipating the segment of the fan base that will be out with pitchforks if he isn't going for 25 and 9.

ADVERTISEMENT