ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray returning to Iowa

stormtrooper-daps.gif

I think that Kenyon was just recently on a podcast, after the Combine decline, and said that doesn't make a difference one way or the other. Kris intends to stay in right up until the deadline and will wait and see if a team puts a guarantee on the table...if that happens he goes to the NBA and if it doesn't he comes back to Iowa. Still undetermined as of today...is my understanding.

I think that Kenyon was just recently on a podcast, after the Combine decline, and said that doesn't make a difference one way or the other. Kris intends to stay in right up until the deadline and will wait and see if a team puts a guarantee on the table...if that happens he goes to the NBA and if it doesn't he comes back to Iowa. Still undetermined as of today...is my understanding.
Your understanding is same as mine. Decking to attend camp does not mean he is definitely returning to Iowa.

Why wouldn't he go to the combine then? I don't get it.

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
That is correct.

Why wouldn't he go to the combine then? I don't get it.
There is no upside to the combine for him. He wasn't going to play in five on five games. They can do the measurements at the Priority Sports event if they want. He might do something there. It's something put on by the agent repping Keegan. The entire NBA will be there and he's been able to talk to plenty of NBA people.

thanks for the info. It seems that would be an accurate account.

what team though, is going to give a fringe guy a guarantee when they don't get to see him at the combine? I understand there could be plenty of conversations and handshakes behind closed doors.............but IMO, if you think you got something to show, you go show it.

I think this, again IMO, signals that we will see him in the black and gold this coming season.

Reactions: IowasLaw
There is no upside to the combine for him. He wasn't going to play in five on five games. They can do the measurements at the Priority Sports event if they want. He might do something there. It's something put on by the agent repping Keegan. The entire NBA will be there and he's been able to talk to plenty of NBA people.
I want to preface this by saying I do not follow this that closely.......and in no way would I pretend to have a more informed opinion than someone like Tom who probably does.

That being said, if there was no upside to the combine, why are 120 players going there? I think he is staying at Iowa.

I want to preface this by saying I do not follow this that closely.......and in no way would I pretend to have a more informed opinion than someone like Tom who probably does.

That being said, if there was no upside to the combine, why are 120 players going there? I think he is staying at Iowa.
Usually it's about 60 guys. There's no upside for Kris to go to it. For some players who are trying to improve their stock, those are the guys going and playing in games. Like Joe Wieskamp last year. The other issue is those 5 on 5 games tend to be guard oriented. The bigger you are, the harder it is to get anything out of it.

Am I mixing up the combine with game Weiskamp elevated his status in last year? I thought that was the combine.

I read all year that Kris was being played out of position by having to guard the post. Would this not be an opportunity to play more exclusively on the wing?

Am I mixing up the combine with game Weiskamp elevated his status in last year? I thought that was the combine.
Yes he helped himself. Again, guard. And he needed it since he was a boarderline 2nd round pick. Some guys need it and can help themselves. Kris wasn't going to play. He's possibly doing Priority Sports Pro Day. Will be a better showcase for his skills.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Yes he helped himself. Again, guard. And he needed it since he was a boarderline 2nd round pick. Some guys need it and can help themselves. Kris wasn't going to play. He's possibly doing Priority Sports Pro Day. Will be a better showcase for his skills.
Thanks, Tom.

So this must mean beyond the shadow of a doubt that Kris has a guaranteed offer from a team that asked him not to attend the combine. I'm pretty sure that's what Kenyon meant when he said what he said.

Did I do that right?

If Kris truly went only to get "evaluated", skipping the combine makes perfect sense. My sense is the Combine is a meat market. It doesn't sound like a place for a lot of personal evaluation.

If your goal is to get drafted, showing your talents against other NBA hopefuls is the perfect opportunity to do that. So, declining it says to me that he is not interesting in improving his draft stock.

If someone says that they will pick him in the later part of the 2nd round, he should just say thank you and come back to IC. Be a B1G star and get a slot in next years first round.

thanks for the info. It seems that would be an accurate account.

what team though, is going to give a fringe guy a guarantee when they don't get to see him at the combine? I understand there could be plenty of conversations and handshakes behind closed doors.............but IMO, if you think you got something to show, you go show it.

I think this, again IMO, signals that we will see him in the black and gold this coming season.
Teams see his potential athletically, shooting and continued physical development. Never forget “intangibles”. Kris has almost been more impressive to NBA teams with the kind of person he is. Character plays a huge part of getting in and staying in the NBA. Now, there are players who may not have the same I tangibles, but their talent is so off the charts, they always will get an opportunity. KnK will be excellent community/locker room additions to any team.

So this must mean beyond the shadow of a doubt that Kris has a guaranteed offer from a team that asked him not to attend the combine. I'm pretty sure that's what Kenyon meant when he said what he said.

Did I do that right?
Nope. He doesn’t have a guarantee. The process isn’t over. Pro day is Saturday and then he could receive and invite for private workout with teams before June 1 deadline.

Teams see his potential athletically, shooting and continued physical development. Never forget “intangibles”. Kris has almost been more impressive to NBA teams with the kind of person he is. Character plays a huge part of getting in and staying in the NBA. Now, there are players who may not have the same I tangibles, but their talent is so off the charts, they always will get an opportunity. KnK will be excellent community/locker room additions to any team.
Thanks for all of the updates! I know it's off topic, but is there a team you're hoping drafts Keegan?

If Kris truly went only to get "evaluated", skipping the combine makes perfect sense. My sense is the Combine is a meat market. It doesn't sound like a place for a lot of personal evaluation.

If your goal is to get drafted, showing your talents against other NBA hopefuls is the perfect opportunity to do that. So, declining it says to me that he is not interesting in improving his draft stock.

If someone says that they will pick him in the later part of the 2nd round, he should just say thank you and come back to IC. Be a B1G star and get a slot in next years first round
There is so much that goes into becoming an NBA player. We have fantastic representation who is guiding us. There is a reason that Priority has been doing this since 1985. There is a reason that Priority got Michael Porter Jr drafted 14th with a bad back and having played only one college game. There is a reason that Bradley Beal (Priority client) will make more money than anyone who has ever played in the NBA. These guys know what they are doing and why we have them representing our boys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT