ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray stats

Lighting Hawk

HR MVP
Sep 16, 2021
Went into the advanced analytics on Sports Reference, filtered Kris' stats by MP, Kris is averaging 17.07 mpg. People have been clamoring for more PT, saying he's the second-best player on the team. He's struggled some recently with his shot and gets himself in foul trouble occasionally but really got going again last night, which got me thinking he really does deserve more minutes.
*mind you Kris has never played more than 26 minutes in a game this season, and that was only cuz Keegan was out.

KM's Season Averages
17 MPG
9.4 PPG
4.6 RPG
1.1 APG

***In the (6) games where he has played AT LEAST 18 minutes:

(averaging 21.1 mpg) Opponents - (Purdue, Western Michigan, Wisconsin, Portland State, Utah State, Longwood) Record - 4-2

13.6 PPG
5.3 RPG
1.1 APG
1.5 SPG
1.1 BPG
.5 T.O's
2.3 PF's/g

***In the (8) games where he has played Less than 18 minutes:

(averaging 14 mpg) Opponents - (Alabama State, Virginia, Illinois, Iowa State, Western Illinois, Kansas City, South Eastern Lousiana, Maryland) Record 6-2

6.1 PPG
4 RPG
1 APG
.2 SPG
.8 BGP
.7 T.O's
1.75 PF'S/g

Ultimately it's just extremely frustrating to see him get limited and coming off the bench on line switches. He should be playing over guys like Connor, Rebraca, or Patrick. Fran really shouldn't have him off the court if he can help it to get his game going, IMO, and playing at least 25 MPG. When he plays a lot, he produces simple as that. KM has been playing a lot of 5, but I think shooting 44% from 3 fits better at the 3. I think, when he plays well, Rebraca is a better rebounder and defender than PMac, and Kris is a better offensive player than PMac. The best lineup to me is keeping Joe T, Perk, or JBo (both played bad last night), KM, Keegan, Rebraca. I also think Kris is a far better 5 than Filip when he looks healthy. He has better chemistry with PMac and Keegan than Filip does. Is just as good of a rebounder, better weapon on offense, and better defender, and more athletic.

I would play Kris Murray ahead of Pat McCaffery primarily because Kris is a willing rebounder on both ends........ he is better scorer also but rebounding is a major concern and I'm not seeing McCaffery consistently hit the boards.

Kris deserves to play a lot more even with his struggles but when you consider how much we are going to need him next yr and after he needs to be getting the minutes to develop.

Keegan will be Francis' first 1st round draft pick in 12 seasons here after his sophomore yr and he only got 18 mins a game last year while firstborn was getting nearly 23. That is a joke. It just isn't Iowa basketball unless a Murray is getting screwed on playing time. Fran embarrassing with his nepotism and red faced tantrums on the sideline. Most tantrum worthy thing in his program are shit defense and rebounding

Fran's questionable lineups will continue and there's really no use getting super frustrated I guess because he coaches with his emoitons and heart too much. JBo 29 minutes last night, and he scored 9 points in the last 3 minutes of the game against their 3rd team squad, and shot 1 shot before that in 26 minutes, going 3-6 from the line, so he wasn't getting it done. I'm all for JBo getting minutes but what in the actual F*ck, he gives his favorites a longer leash IMO, and it costs us down the stretch

I would play Kris Murray ahead of Pat McCaffery primarily because Kris is a willing rebounder on both ends........ he is better scorer also but rebounding is a major concern and I'm not seeing McCaffery consistently hit the boards.

In our 4 Big Ten games here are the number of rebounds and games played for our front court players...

guess who is who... one should be easy.

15 rebounds 3 games 5.00 rpg
19 rebounds 4 games 4.75 rpg
18 rebounds 4 games 4.50 rpg
13 rebounds 4 games 3.25 rpg

and here over the last 2 games in 2022

13 rebounds 6.5 rpg
12 rebounds 6.0 rpg
9 rebounds 4.5 rpg
4 rebounds 2.0 rpg

Keegan Murray is the top rebounder in both
Patrick McCaffery is #2 on both
Filip Rebraca is #3 on both
Kris Murray is #4 on both

Not really what you were expecting is it?

perhaps our answer is to mix things up a little?

Ogundele / Mulvey / Rebraca
KeMurray / Rebraca / CMac
PMac / KrMurray / Sandfort / CMac
KrMurray / Perkins / Ulis
Bohannon / Toussaint / Ulis / CMac

Reactions: Colorado_Hawk
In our 4 Big Ten games here are the number of rebounds and games played for our front court players...

13 rebounds 6.5 rpg
12 rebounds 6.0 rpg
9 rebounds 4.5 rpg
4 rebounds 2.0 rpg

That's an impressive stat manipulation. I noticed that a critical statistic i.e. minutes per game - actual time on the court - was ommited from your analysis when presenting total rebounds and rpg.

Let me try my hand at this game. Indentify which of the following season stats belong to Patrick McCaffery and which belong to Kris Murray:

Player A: 23.6 mpg, 47 total rebs/13games, 3.61 rpg, .154 reb per minute played
Player B: 17.1 mpg, 64 total rebs/13 games, 4.92 rpg, .288 reb per minute played

That's an impressive stat manipulation. I noticed that a critical statistic i.e. minutes per game - actual time on the court - was ommited from your analysis when presenting total rebounds and rpg.

Let me try my hand at this game. Indentify which of the following season stats belong to Patrick McCaffery and which belong to Kris Murray:

Player A: 23.6 mpg, 47 total rebs/13games, 3.61 rpg, .154 reb per minute played
Player B: 17.1 mpg, 64 total rebs/13 games, 4.92 rpg, .288 reb per minute played

Do the same for the 4 BigTen games. All that matters now is how you play vs. Power 5 teams. (albeit a small sample size)

more minutes doesn't always lead to more production, it leads to more opportunity to produce.... I'll give you that.

Personally, I'd like to see Kris and Patrick with Keegan on the floor more... with a Post. Meaning we're going BIG at the 2G as well. Our rebounding issues stems from long rebounds and our guards not helping out, or being overmatched size wise.

Personally, I'd like to see Kris and Patrick with Keegan on the floor more... with a Post. Meaning we're going BIG at the 2G as well. Our rebounding issues stems from long rebounds and our guards not helping out, or being overmatched size wise.
I totally agree with this. Unfortunately, Rebraca has been a bit slow to adapt to playing at this level. I think he expected the officials to be of higher quality when he moved up, and instead he's finding that getting pushed around is par for the course in the league. We need rebounding badly so I like your line up. Also, Perkins has the body to mix it up. I'd like to see him get more involved with the rebounding.

I think in Big Ten play Fran will always revert to what he’s comfortable with as far as lineups are concerned. He’s not one to gamble and take chances, unless things are getting way out of hand. But even then he will probably go straight to a back up lineup, that’s he’s used many times before. Never anything different to spark a run.

I think Pmac has been solid rebounding ever since Utah State. Which is encouraging, but he still is hard to watch a lot of the time. Thought he gave us a spark when we were down double digits in the first half, but second half he was not good at all, neither were Perkins, Cmac or Jbo. I think the biggest difference for me with him and Kris, in how they play, is Kris doesn’t really get blown by, in man D, or get left running after him on cuts. He got tossed around by Tyler Wahl all night, albeit Wahl played a great game credit to him. Kris is kinda like Keegan, he has good cardio, he’s never on the court with his hands on his knees, or bent over. I’ve been keying in on that because at dead balls Pmac looks absolutely gassed 75% of the time. Kris is just

Went into the advanced analytics on Sports Reference, filtered Kris' stats by MP, Kris is averaging 17.07 mpg. People have been clamoring for more PT, saying he's the second-best player on the team. He's struggled some recently with his shot and gets himself in foul trouble occasionally but really got going again last night, which got me thinking he really does deserve more minutes.
*mind you Kris has never played more than 26 minutes in a game this season, and that was only cuz Keegan was out.

KM's Season Averages
17 MPG
9.4 PPG
4.6 RPG
1.1 APG

***In the (6) games where he has played AT LEAST 18 minutes:

(averaging 21.1 mpg) Opponents - (Purdue, Western Michigan, Wisconsin, Portland State, Utah State, Longwood) Record - 4-2

13.6 PPG
5.3 RPG
1.1 APG
1.5 SPG
1.1 BPG
.5 T.O's
2.3 PF's/g

***In the (8) games where he has played Less than 18 minutes:

(averaging 14 mpg) Opponents - (Alabama State, Virginia, Illinois, Iowa State, Western Illinois, Kansas City, South Eastern Lousiana, Maryland) Record 6-2

6.1 PPG
4 RPG
1 APG
.2 SPG
.8 BGP
.7 T.O's
1.75 PF'S/g

Ultimately it's just extremely frustrating to see him get limited and coming off the bench on line switches. He should be playing over guys like Connor, Rebraca, or Patrick. Fran really shouldn't have him off the court if he can help it to get his game going, IMO, and playing at least 25 MPG. When he plays a lot, he produces simple as that. KM has been playing a lot of 5, but I think shooting 44% from 3 fits better at the 3. I think, when he plays well, Rebraca is a better rebounder and defender than PMac, and Kris is a better offensive player than PMac. The best lineup to me is keeping Joe T, Perk, or JBo (both played bad last night), KM, Keegan, Rebraca. I also think Kris is a far better 5 than Filip when he looks healthy. He has better chemistry with PMac and Keegan than Filip does. Is just as good of a rebounder, better weapon on offense, and better defender, and more athletic.
Kris may need more minutes, but usually not at the expense of Rebraca. The exception is when the opponent isn't playing a center. Indiana typically doesn't, so Kris over Rebraca might be a good move next week. Otherwise, we'll continue to see the Hawks get destroyed on the boards. Ogundele and Mulvey are the ones who need to sub in for Rebraca in most B1G games.

more minutes doesn't always lead to more production, it leads to more opportunity to produce.... I'll give you that.
...and unfortunately, in this analysis, more minutes/opportunities for Patrick (as compared to Kris) leads to less rebounding production.

Forgot to add:

We simply won't win games unless we start rebounding better, and play better half-court defense. Simple as that.
Correct. Everyone outside Keegan gives Iowa about the same from a offensive standpoin minus Connor who provides little at that end. I’ve been saying all year that Fran needs to find his best defenders and rebounders and ride that unit rest of the year. If that means we go small ball then so be it. Play 7 guys most of the minutes so they get in game rythm and with teammates.

Reactions: Hammer93
I watched Patrick M get (what we always called) "buried" under the boards on several occasions last night. He just gets placed wherever the competition wants him prior to the ball even getting to the basket. Rebreca is not much better. What happened to the days where the ball goes up and everyone tries to find someone right away and put a body on them hard? I don't understand what they are being drilled on right now in practice.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Correct. Everyone outside Keegan gives Iowa about the same from a offensive standpoin minus Connor who provides little at that end. I’ve been saying all year that Fran needs to find his best defenders and rebounders and ride that unit rest of the year. If that means we go small ball then so be it. Play 7 guys most of the minutes so they get in game rythm and with teammates.
I could vote for this plan.

Actually, I would play PMac, Kris M, and Keegan M. together as starters. I really like Joe T and Aaron U. at the point. Aaron doesn't need to start but I wouldn't hesitate playing him. If JBo isn't getting shots he should play ahead of Perkins. I like JBo but he is really struggling getting shots off. Couldn't believe he missed three free throws last night. He doesn't miss three in a month.

I watched Patrick M get (what we always called) "buried" under the boards on several occasions last night. He just gets placed wherever the competition wants him prior to the ball even getting to the basket. Rebreca is not much better. What happened to the days where the ball goes up and everyone tries to find someone right away and put a body on them hard? I don't understand what they are being drilled on right now in practice.
I think bad habits are hard to break and if you didn’t have good rebounding technique in high school then you probably aren’t going to learn it in college. A lot of it is desire, too, which I don’t think you teach.

Before the season I was really looking forward to seeing PMac and the Murrays play together. I think last night is the first time I’ve seen it and it was only briefly. If we want to improve our rebounding (and probably our defense) we need to try a combination with more length. I’d love to see PMac, the Murrays and Rebraca play together. That combo would als give us good/balanced offensive production.

I like Patrick but his rebounding is terrible. At times I see him standing around and also he's getting pushed around. We have to get more production on the boards if we're going to win games. We're going to need Mulvey or Josh to help out.

Kris may need more minutes, but usually not at the expense of Rebraca. The exception is when the opponent isn't playing a center. Indiana typically doesn't, so Kris over Rebraca might be a good move next week. Otherwise, we'll continue to see the Hawks get destroyed on the boards. Ogundele and Mulvey are the ones who need to sub in for Rebraca in most B1G games.
I mean I agree with you, but in the first half Reby got 2 fouls, Fran threw Kris in there at the 5 and he's normally been doing that. He's opting to use Kris at the 5 rather than JO/RM. I hope that changes though. I think the ceiling for those two is infinitely higher than Rebraca. Nothing against him, but he's not a 5, and recruiting him to play it is the main reason we are getting absolutely demolished. Again - we lost Jack, CJ, Garza, and Wiesy, not exactly a team we can expect a whole lot from experience-wise, but we can see the guys with the most talent might not be getting the deserved minutes.

13 rebounds 6.5 rpg
12 rebounds 6.0 rpg
9 rebounds 4.5 rpg
4 rebounds 2.0 rpg

well when you don't adjust for Playing time, not very useful I will admit, PMAC has been rebounding better last few games, but he still can't defend his position. There is no way a 6'9 lanky kid is going to be able to guard elite athletes he will face at the 3 in a man defense. Watch PMAC play defense, he goes for a lock of blocks and doesn't get them as guys blow past him on dribble drive. Or he stands around while rebound is to be had inside because he doesn't like contact.

The bottomline is rebounding and defense is not good, so Fran should be buidling a lineup that complements Keegan with that in mind. With Keegan being the best or 2nd best player in B1G, and Iowa being so far a bottom feeder, that seems to indicate the guys that Fran is playing at the other 4 positions are not getting it done.

One thing I think everyone is missing in the Kris/Patrick over Rebraca debate - It isn't who gets the most rebounds in a game. It is who could still get those rebounds against someone 2-4 inches taller (at center) and 30-50 lb heavier. I think Kris and certainly Patrick would get killed in that spot most of the time (all the time for Pat).
I can see the Patrick/Kris debate tho. And maybe more O or Mulvey over Rebraca.

I am one here that thought PMac was going to be an excellent player - consistently a 16/8 guy with steals and blocks as well. It's sure not working out that way. Some occasional flashes, but nothing consistent.

I don't think this is a tourney team - I'm hoping they win more than half their games at home and somehow grab a couple on the road, but that's not going to be good enough.

I say play Kris too. We know he has star DNA, so might as well get him out there on the floor to develop it.

3 weeks late and Kris has only gotten better but still not getting over 25+ sigh
The only time he gets big minutes is if his brother is in foul trouble. It is crazy. How about we put both of them on the floor at the same time, for as many minutes as they both can handle?

Fran's questionable lineups will continue and there's really no use getting super frustrated I guess because he coaches with his emoitons and heart too much. JBo 29 minutes last night, and he scored 9 points in the last 3 minutes of the game against their 3rd team squad, and shot 1 shot before that in 26 minutes, going 3-6 from the line, so he wasn't getting it done. I'm all for JBo getting minutes but what in the actual F*ck, he gives his favorites a longer leash IMO, and it costs us down the stretch
Josh ogelsby. Between Josh and Connor, fran has played 2 of the worst shooters to play any real amount of college basketball.
fran plays favorites. I believe I remember him saying that his boys loved Josh growing up. I think his feelings trump stats and the eye test.

The only time he gets big minutes is if his brother is in foul trouble. It is crazy. How about we put both of them on the floor at the same time, for as many minutes as they both can handle?

Our best lineup is probably

1.Joe
2. Perk or Sandfort
3. Kris
4. Keegan
5. Rebraca

I say this because it gives us the best chance rebounding, defensively, athletically and we still have shooters.

This lineup will never see the light of day, let alone start. In my ****in dreams, because:

1. Jordan, Pmac and Connor will never be on the bench to start a game all at the same time.
2. He uses Kris, although a more natural 3/4 at the 5 because he doesn’t trust JO or RM yet. So it leaves us with no trusted depth there, in Frans eyes.

I personally see Keegan playing SF at the next level if he doesn’t grow taller but can definitely play the 4. He’s got all the ability to play both. I think Kris as well although not as good with his off hand, so I really think.

You know, you’d think we would experiment with lineups a little with a team losing 4 rotational players, 2 to other respected P5 programs, 2 to the NBA, instead of playing the same starting lineup every. Single. Game. This season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT