ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray - Way-to-Early 2023 NBA Mock Draft

defender hawk

Rookie
Nov 26, 2021

19. Brooklyn Nets​

Kris Murray | 6-8 wing | 22 years old | Iowa

Keegan’s brother, Kris should step into more of a primary role next season after being more of a big floor spacer in 2021-22 He averaged 10 points per game but shot 39 percent from 3 last season and played solid defensively at his size. He has the look of a very valuable role-playing wing. He’s not quite the shot creator Keegan is, so don’t expect nearly 25 points per game. But I do think Kris will emerge into a genuine prospect and set himself up nicely for a long career in the NBA.

It’s in the realm of possibility that Iowa could have three different national player of the year finalists in a row.
I don’t think that a NPOY candidate will be likely for Iowa next year because we should have a more balanced offensive attack with Kris, Pat, Perkins, and Sandfort. Our second highest scorer last year was Bohannon at 11ppg after Keegan’s 23, and I could easily see this group’s top 4 going 16, 14, 12, 11ppg in whichever order. That would likely be awesome for the team, but probably not result in many individual accolades

Fran is ready to hand the keys over to Kris. I'm thinking we contend for a Big 10 Title this year. Our offense will always be there. Our defense will be significantly better. Sorry, Jbo.

Kris as NPOY, Keegan as NBA ROY and Clark as NWPOY is also possible.
200.gif

Reactions: Torg
I have a hypothetical for everyone. Let's say Kris was right handed like his brother Keegan and decided to return to Iowa as has been decided. But Kenyon is a businessman and has a few tricks up his sleeve.

So Keegan goes #4 to the Kings, right, for a $6.6 million deal. But Kenyon has a plan. He decides to switch them and have Kris go to the Kings...and Keegan then comes back to Iowa as Kris. He is almost sure to win the NPOY and every other individual trophy...and likely lines up as the No. 1 pick...and signs a $9.7 million dollar deal. I mean...$3 million extra is $3 million.

How cool would that have been...I mean...you don't know where Kris goes next year right...will it be top 10-15? With Keegan coming back...you get #4 and likely #1. I'll bet Kenyon is thinking he should have forced Kris to be a right hander.

Don't they have the same DNA? How would you know? As I'm finishing this post, I realize I have way too much free time right now.

I have a hypothetical for everyone. Let's say Kris was right handed like his brother Keegan and decided to return to Iowa as has been decided. But Kenyon is a businessman and has a few tricks up his sleeve.

So Keegan goes #4 to the Kings, right, for a $6.6 million deal. But Kenyon has a plan. He decides to switch them and have Kris go to the Kings...and Keegan then comes back to Iowa as Kris. He is almost sure to win the NPOY and every other individual trophy...and likely lines up as the No. 1 pick...and signs a $9.7 million dollar deal. I mean...$3 million extra is $3 million.

How cool would that have been...I mean...you don't know where Kris goes next year right...will it be top 10-15? With Keegan coming back...you get #4 and likely #1. I'll bet Kenyon is thinking he should have forced Kris to be a right hander.

Don't they have the same DNA? How would you know? As I'm finishing this post, I realize I have way too much free time right now.
I think your numbers are a little low

Just an fyi...

Kris AND Keegan.... along with Kenyon are all left handed.

Last edited:
Reactions: kceasthawk
Those are per year numbers. There is a scale for rookies in the NBA...no negotiation...depending on where you are picked...this is the money.

Keegan's base salary is $8M per year but if he plays well enough, it'll likely end up being around $8.75M.
Paulo's (#1 pick) base salary averages out to $12.5M.

So yes, your 6.6 and 9.7 are a bit low, even for yearly salaries.

Reactions: BBHawk

If you look closely at them, you can tell them apart. Keegan is more developed in the shoulders, and upper arms, and his hips and back side are a little wider. Watch a good close up of him running away from you back up the floor. Its obvious...

I think Kris’ age will push him out of the first round. I’m not saying it’s right or I agree with it, but it is a major factor in the NBA draft.

Keegan's base salary is $8M per year but if he plays well enough, it'll likely end up being around $8.75M.
Paulo's (#1 pick) base salary averages out to $12.5M.

So yes, your 6.6 and 9.7 are a bit low, even for yearly salaries.
Sorry...when I googled it pulled up an old chart of the rookie payouts. Nice little bump from a few years ago. Good for Keegan...now buy your dad a new car.

Someone call QAnon...how do we know that's Keegan torching the Summer League.

I'm old...but it appears to me that Keegan shoots right handed.

As did Kenyon, but they and Kris are all left handed. Kenyon and Keegan both just shoot the basketball right handed. Kris did not follow Kenyon's advice to learn to shoot right handed growing up.

I think Kris’ age will push him out of the first round. I’m not saying it’s right or I agree with it, but it is a major factor in the NBA draft.
Probably going to depend on if they see him as someone that can come in and play serious minutes now or not. Picking up even a rotational player/spot starter at the end of the first round would be good value.

He is also the first player I know of who's draft position will be greatly effected by how his brother does.

Probably going to depend on if they see him as someone that can come in and play serious minutes now or not. Picking up even a rotational player/spot starter at the end of the first round would be good value.

He is also the first player I know of who's draft position will be greatly effected by how his brother does.
If Keegan and Kris have good years, I see Kris definitely going high in the first round. Just have to see it play out.

Reactions: BBHawk

We're you hanging out at the same parking lot at Red Rocks that I was on Friday? Because there were a few people walking around selling whatever it was you were smoking when you wrote this.

After seeing what his brother did I hope Kris doesn't put too much pressure on himself this season,... Play hard and enjoy yourself kid!

19. Brooklyn Nets​

Kris Murray | 6-8 wing | 22 years old | Iowa

Keegan’s brother, Kris should step into more of a primary role next season after being more of a big floor spacer in 2021-22 He averaged 10 points per game but shot 39 percent from 3 last season and played solid defensively at his size. He has the look of a very valuable role-playing wing. He’s not quite the shot creator Keegan is, so don’t expect nearly 25 points per game. But I do think Kris will emerge into a genuine prospect and set himself up nicely for a long career in the NBA.

Interesting that not much has changed since you posted this in July.

Jonathan is an NBA Draft analyst at ESPN. He has Kris Murray going 18th to the New York Knicks

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Since Keegan is primarily being used as a 3 point shooter and defender, I would think Kris can do that role pretty closely. Kris might be better 3pt shooter...but lacks Keegans ability to finish with both hands in the paint.
I would not expect Kris back next year at Iowa.

Lot of pressure on him. With an identical twin killing it in nba if he doesn’t succeed it will be stayed his work ethic isn’t as good.

Sort of like being a clone of Jordan and failing in nba.

I know, 22 is way past one's prime. lol
Right. Nba players are playing longer than ever.

Being 22 isn't a good or bad thing but it means you have less unknown potential.

Its just one factor in how teams project a player.

If they think you're good enough to start right away like Keegan was then the age doesn't matter.

The reason old players rarely get drafted is beause almost no one who is good enough to get drafted has any reason to wait that long.

Kris and Keegan are outliers who grew late. Most guys with nba potential can be identified by 19 or 20.

Reactions: CookyMonster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT