ADVERTISEMENT

Krysten Sinema switching to Independent

bladel

HR Heisman
Feb 5, 2003
AZ<-LeClaire<-Iowa City<-The Dirty D
Says she doesn’t fit with either party, but still wants her committee assignments so I guess that means caucusing with the Democrats.

The real reason: she knows Ruben Gallego is coming for her seat in ‘24.

She is the definition of a Corporate Democrat and has/had a pathetically low approval rating among Democrats in Arizona. This change only means she gets destroyed in the general and not the primary, which is good for the country.

And in that scenario she likely splits the vote and costs the Dems a seat.

Would be smarter for the Dems to not run a candidate against her.

Reactions: goldmom
Good thing Dems held GA

I don't think it would have changed anything either way. I don't think she was going to going to vote for McConnell to run the senate.

This is a label change much like Bernie Sanders and Angus King. Only difference is that she's taking the label because she's right of the Dems instead of left of them. But that doesn't make her a Republican either.

So…nothing is changing but her label. Voting the same way. Serving on Dem committees. Attention seeking.

Maybe. . . but the Dems in AZ pulled what the Republicans are doing and censured her for voting her conscious.

Plus running for re-election as an independent might actually protect her from being defeated.

She would be vulnerable in the primary. But if she skips that because she's an independent, she gives the Dems a tough choice. Run a candidate against her and guarantee that they lose the seat, or play ball with her and let her win the seat on the independent label while she still caucuses with the Dems.

These are 6 year terms we talk about here. Do you want to sacrifice a senate seat to a MAGA for the next 6 years just to be rid of Sinema?

This seems more strategic than anything.

Maybe. . . but the Dems in AZ pulled what the Republicans are doing and censured her for voting her conscious.

Plus running for re-election as an independent might actually protect her from being defeated.

She would be vulnerable in the primary. But if she skips that because she's an independent, she gives the Dems a tough choice. Run a candidate against her and guarantee that they lose the seat, or play ball with her and let her win the seat on the independent label while she still caucuses with the Dems.

This seems more strategic than anything.
I would bet good money that if the Republicans win the Senate in 2024, as the map says they likely will, she will decide that she's more of a Republican and will caucus with them (and keeps her committee seats).

I would bet good money that if the Republicans win the Senate in 2024, as the map says they likely will, she will decide that she's more of a Republican and will caucus with them (and keeps her committee seats).

Maybe but I doubt it. You are doing what the Republicans are doing and basically accusing her of not being honest simply because they don't see things exactly your way all of the time.

I don't think she starts caucusing with the Republicans just cause they have the majority. If she starts doing that she may find herself in a situation where neither side trusts her inside and outside of the senate and she's on the outs of everything.

Reactions: sober_teacher
^^^ This. Dems have to defend 23 Senate seats in 2024, Rs defend only 10. She could be trending R.

I’d give good odds she doesn’t do this if Warnock lost.
Hoosier is correct. The Georgia runoff result likely had nothing to do with this. She is still caucusing with the Dems and still counts toward the 51-49 majority, just like Sanders and King.

Hoosier is correct. The Georgia runoff result likely had nothing to do with this. She is still caucusing with the Dems and still counts toward the 51-49 majority, just like Sanders and King.

Really what changes is that she no longer has to worry about the primary but skips right to the general where the Dems are forced into a choice of either running someone against her and guaranteeing that whatever Republican crazy person gets the nomination wins that senate seat for the next 6 years or not running against her and she has a strong chance of winning it on her own.

Attention whore

giphy.gif

She stands zero chance of reelection.
If a democrat doesn’t run she wins, if not then the republican wins, so like people have said above do the democrats want the seat or not. I’d vote for Sinema and a lot of my conservative friends here in AZ have said the same

Good for her. I wouldn’t want to identify as republican or democrat either. Nothing like toeing that party line. At the end of the day, she is going to vote how she is going to vote. One of the few left out there that doesn’t just do what she is told.

If a democrat doesn’t run she wins, if not then the republican wins, so like people have said above do the democrats want the seat or not. I’d vote for Sinema and a lot of my conservative friends here in AZ have said the same
Even if the Dems run nobody against her, she's cooked. Mark Kelly only won by 5 points and the Dems actually like him. She has bottom of the basement approval with the Dems. Hope she enjoys fitting into the Republican party when she is applying for jobs to FoxNews in 2025.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT