ADVERTISEMENT

KSM and Two Other 9/11 Defendants Reach Plea Deals

No details yet on the terms of the deals.

Edit: News is reporting that they will avoid the death penalty with this deal. Likely to rot in Gitmo until they die.
Maybe. This may pave the way to bring them to the US and eventually close Gitmo.

We need to shut down GITMO. Process these cases. You have proof, or you don't.

A while back, I applied for a job down there. Obviously didn't get it. But I wanted to see what the hold up was.
I agree re Gitmo, but I'm not sure it will happen in our lifetimes. This American Life had an episode on these trials that I found fascinating. Highly recommend.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I agree re Gitmo, but I'm not sure it will happen in our lifetimes. This American Life had an episode on these trials that I found fascinating. Highly recommend.

We are only creating more hate by just letting people sit there, unprosecuted. It is un-American.

Sorry for not reading the stories, but my understanding was the prosecutors were always worried about using testimony obtained by torture tactics...waterboarding, etc.

But 15+ years is ridiculous.

We are only creating more hate by just letting people sit there, unprosecuted. It is un-American.
Yeah, it's been a mess. Brought to Gitmo in 2006 after years in black sites, not arraigned until 2012, multiple SCOTUS cases and acts of Congress on the legitimacy of the military commissions in between.

I wish they would have just tried them in federal court long ago. Even with the many defense arguments based on the torture, hearsay, etc. there was likely enough other evidence to get capital convictions in New York effing City. Obama tried to do that in 2009, but people threw a shit fit, and here we are. The sad thing is if US actors didn't lose all sense of morality in the wake of 9/11 and commit heinous acts of torture, this could have been a slam dunk Nuremberg 2.0.

As to why to military commissions are ripe for endless challenges, appeals, and delays, from the TAL episode:
"Any normal lawyer hearing what I'm about to lay out here is probably going to be horrified or else think I must be mistaken. I am not mistaken."

Yeah, it's been a mess. Brought to Gitmo in 2006 after years in black sites, not arraigned until 2012, multiple SCOTUS cases and acts of Congress on the legitimacy of the military commissions in between.

I wish they would have just tried them in federal court long ago. Even with the many defense arguments based on the torture, hearsay, etc. there was likely enough other evidence to get capital convictions in New York effing City. Obama tried to do that in 2009, but people threw a shit fit, and here we are. The sad thing is if US actors didn't lose all sense of morality in the wake of 9/11 and commit heinous acts of torture, this could have been a slam dunk Nuremberg 2.0.

As to why to military commissions are ripe for endless challenges, appeals, and delays, from the TAL episode:
"Any normal lawyer hearing what I'm about to lay out here is probably going to be horrified or else think I must be mistaken. I am not mistaken."

Exactly. This could have been a really quick thing to take care of. Folks in DC f'd it up. As did many in the military that were bound on revenge.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
We need to shut down GITMO. Process these cases. You have proof, or you don't.

A while back, I applied for a job down there. Obviously didn't get it. But I wanted to see what the hold up was.
It's a little bit of both. The issue right now is so much time has passed that witnesses are dying, forgetting, etc. Plus all the shitty things we've done to them.

Serial did a really good series on gitmo, and they did a whole episode on only this case. Basically to the point where a conviction will never happen and a plea deal is the only way to go.

Last edited:
Where are all the pouty little bitches that were crying yesterday???

They want to credit the Dems for this or pretend it's not important now?

Crickets.....
I must have missed that. Were they upset about the death penalty possibly being off the table? I won't pretend to understand the ins and outs of these military commissions, but I just wish this would get to a resolution somehow. Fwiw, I'm against the death penalty full stop, so I would have been ok with life for them. Just get it to a damn conviction already.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I must have missed that. Were they upset about the death penalty possibly being off the table? I won't pretend to understand the ins and outs of these military commissions, but I just wish this would get to a resolution somehow. Fwiw, I'm against the death penalty full stop, so I would have been ok with life for them. Just get it to a damn conviction already.
Yes...they were critical of the agreement.

The usual whiners who have an agenda since 2021.

Reactions: The-Dude-Abides
Where are all the pouty little bitches that were crying yesterday???

They want to credit the Dems for this or pretend it's not important now?

Crickets.....
I had no problem with the plea deal. I have a problem with the fact that the pieces of the executive branch are not functioning properly. Biden and Austin both didn't know? Shouldn't this be something that goes up the chain of command beforehand?

Last edited:
Reactions: ZachJump
I had no problem with the plea deal. I have a problem with the fact that the pieces of executive the executive branch are not functioning properly. Biden and Austin both didn't know? Shouldn't this be something that goes up the chain of command beforehand?
I thought some people wanted the Judiciary and the Executive branches of govt separate?

Man, it's hard keeping up with the flip floppers!

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Should have never gotten to this point. These ****s should be dead under any standard. Not just for the 3000 or so here, but for the hundreds of thousands elsewhere.
I wouldn’t disagree, but what separates us from them is rules and laws. Our system is messy and inefficient, but infinitely better.

Reactions: MitchLL
I wouldn’t disagree, but what separates us from them is rules and laws. Our system is messy and inefficient, but infinitely better.
The rules and laws at Guantanamo for a long time were messy and inefficient and downright awful.

The rules and laws at Guantanamo for a long time were messy and inefficient and downright awful.
And, that’s why the death penalty and any legit trial for many defendants is probably never going to happen. A plea will still probably wind up as the only option. We fudged things up from the start.

Reactions: mnole03
I thought some people wanted the Judiciary and the Executive branches of govt separate?

Man, it's hard keeping up with the flip floppers!
Ummm…the DoD falls under the executive branch. DoD cut the deal.

Judicial branch has nothing to do with it.

That’s why the Secretary of Defense was the one to rescind it.

Last edited:
The plea deal was good given the situation with the evidence.

Republicans turned it into a campaign issue, so the plea was pulled.

Deals revoked. Interesting.

200w.gif

Should have never gotten to this point. These ****s should be dead under any standard. Not just for the 3000 or so here, but for the hundreds of thousands elsewhere.
I'm busy all weekend with birthdays, can I get the back of the cover version of what's going on here?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT